Jana Cole

Default Trying to make pie crust with whole wheat flour

I have substituted whole wheat flour for the bleached white flour I
have been using, but the dough is completely unworkable. It breaks
apart - has absolutely no elasticity. I can't roll it. Its
consistency is something like drop cookie dough, but dryer. Even
adding flour doesn't make it hold together.

What do I need to do to make whole wheat flour crust?

The recipe I'll using:

1 c flour
3/4 c butter
water as needed
1/4 tsp salt

This recipe works great with white flour, but not at all with the
wheat.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Jana in SF
zxcvbob

Jana Cole wrote:
> I have substituted whole wheat flour for the bleached white flour I
> have been using, but the dough is completely unworkable. It breaks
> apart - has absolutely no elasticity. I can't roll it. Its
> consistency is something like drop cookie dough, but dryer. Even
> adding flour doesn't make it hold together.
>
> What do I need to do to make whole wheat flour crust?
>
> The recipe I'll using:
>
> 1 c flour
> 3/4 c butter
> water as needed
> 1/4 tsp salt
>
> This recipe works great with white flour, but not at all with the
> wheat.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Jana in SF

Look for whole wheat pastry flour. (I haven't tried it, but that's
about the only way you would have a chance)

Bob
Shirley Hicks

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:59:01 GMT, Jana Cole >
wrote:

>I have substituted whole wheat flour for the bleached white flour I
>have been using, but the dough is completely unworkable. It breaks
>apart - has absolutely no elasticity. I can't roll it. Its
>consistency is something like drop cookie dough, but dryer. Even
>adding flour doesn't make it hold together.
>
>What do I need to do to make whole wheat flour crust?
>
>The recipe I'll using:
>
>1 c flour
>3/4 c butter
>water as needed
>1/4 tsp salt
>
>This recipe works great with white flour, but not at all with the
>wheat.
>
>Any suggestions appreciated.

Ad a 1/4 tsp. of xanthan gum. Available at most health food stores, it
adds that little extra polymer chain forming action that you need and
that isn't present when working with 100% whole wheat flour, or other
low or gluten free flours.

I started using it when I started baking gluten free products for my
mom, and it's now one of my secret weapons in the kitchen.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario
TB

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor
Shirley Hicks

wrote:

>I have substituted whole wheat flour for the bleached white flour I
>have been using, but the dough is completely unworkable. It breaks
>apart - has absolutely no elasticity. I can't roll it. Its
>consistency is something like drop cookie dough, but dryer. Even
>adding flour doesn't make it hold together.
>
>What do I need to do to make whole wheat flour crust?
>
>The recipe I'll using:
>
>1 c flour
>3/4 c butter
>water as needed
>1/4 tsp salt
>
>This recipe works great with white flour, but not at all with the
>wheat.
>
>Any suggestions appreciated.

Ad a 1/4 tsp. of xanthan gum. Available at most health food stores, it
adds that little extra polymer chain forming action that you need and
that isn't present when working with 100% whole wheat flour, or other
low or gluten free flours.

I started using it when I started baking gluten free products for my
mom, and it's now one of my secret weapons in the kitchen.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario
TB

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor
Shirley Hicks

wrote:

>I have substituted whole wheat flour for the bleached white flour I
>have been using, but the dough is completely unworkable. It breaks
>apart - has absolutely no elasticity. I can't roll it. Its
>consistency is something like drop cookie dough, but dryer. Even
>adding flour doesn't make it hold together.
>
>What do I need to do to make whole wheat flour crust?
>
>The recipe I'll using:
>
>1 c flour
>3/4 c butter
>water as needed
>1/4 tsp salt
>
>This recipe works great with white flour, but not at all with the
>wheat.
>
>Any suggestions appreciated.

Ad a 1/4 tsp. of xanthan gum. Available at most health food stores, it
adds that little extra polymer chain forming action that you need and
that isn't present when working with 100% whole wheat flour, or other
low or gluten free flours.

I started using it when I started baking gluten free products for my
mom, and it's now one of my secret weapons in the kitchen.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario
TB

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor

Chef R. W. Miller

Sweet Whole Wheat Crust

Makes 2 9-inch crusts, or 1 double crust

1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
7 to 7 1/2 Tbsp margarine, cut into bits
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
dash of salt (optional)
6 Tbsp ice water or very cold apple juice (especially good for apple pies)

Place flours, margarine, nutmeg, and salt in a food processor and process 10
seconds to a cornmeal texture. With processor running, add 3 Tbsp ice water.
Add remaining water slowly, and stop the machine as soon as the dough begins
to form a ball. Tiny pieces of margarine should be visible in dough.

Form the dough into 2 equal balls and flatten one into a thick disk. Flour
your work surface and rolling pin, and roll dough from center out to sides,
turning into a perfect circle about 10 inches in diameter. (Rolling the
dough between two pieces of waxed paper works pretty well too.

Place the rolling pin in the center of the dough. Fold half over the pin and
transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Press the dough gently into the pie plate,
fold the rough edges under neatly or trim them. Wrap second ball of dough in
waxed paper and refrigerate (or wrap tightly and freeze if you're making a
single-crust pie. Cover pie plate with a slightly damp kitchen towel and
place in refrigerator.

Preheat oven and prepare filling as specified for whatever filling recipe
you're using. After pie is filled, if you're using the second crust, roll it
to a 9-inch circle. Place it over the filling, trim, and crimp edge with
thumb and forefinger or flute with a fork. Brush top with melted margarine
if desired.

Whole Wheat Crust

This pie crust has a nice, spicy flavor and somewhat resembles a cookie in
taste and texture. It is less delicate than a classic white flour Pate
Sucre, but it has more nutritional value, and works well in a one-crust pie.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
1/4 cup ice water

Step 1:
Combine flours, cinnamon, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor and
pulse to blend. Add the chunks of butter and pulse on and off until the
mixture forms coarse crumbs. Do not over-process.

Step 2:
With the machine running, add the ice water and process just until the
mixture forms a rough ball. If the mixture is dry and won't hold together
when squeezed, add a little more ice water. Take care not to over-work the
pastry or it will be tough.

Step 3:
Turn the dough out onto a floured counter and pat into a flat disk. Wrap in
plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour before rolling out.

Enjoy:
Chef R. W. Miller
Marriott Resorts & Hotels