PENMART01

Default ID Restaurants

Shortcut to: Identifying a Bad Restaurant
Just because you're a tourist doesn't mean you should eat like one. How do you
know if a place isn't worth your patronage? William Grimes, a former restaurant
critic for the New York Times, serves up 10 warning signs.

1. The name of the restaurant is followed by an exclamation point.
2. It's called Bubba's Down-Home Barbecue -- and it's in Boston.
3. Out front, there's a big plastic chef holding a menu.
4. The wine list is bound in tooled leather and has tassels.
5. The cuisine is Chinese, Japanese, and Italian.
6. The review in the window has yellowed and started to curl at the corners.
7. The restaurant revolves.
8. The words "buffet," "all you can eat," or "salad bar" appear in the window.
9. The waiters are carrying pepper mills the size of shoulder-fired rockets.
10. The word "decadent" is used to describe any dessert.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Michael Odom

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:49:20 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>> ANY Italian restaurant where the pizza maker is oriental.
>>

>How do you know his mom isn't from Italy?
>
>Jack Fooled

I once bought pizza from an Asian guy in Toronto. He communicated
with the guys in the kitchen in what sounded like Cantonese to me and
handing me my order said: "Have a good evening, eh?" in a perfect
Great White North Canadian accent.

I was hungry and the pizza tasted fine.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Jess Askin

"Kswck" > wrote in message
t...

> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > (PENMART01) wrote:
> >
> >> Shortcut to: Identifying a Bad Restaurant
> >> Just because you're a tourist doesn't mean you should eat like one. How
> >> do
> >> you
> >> know if a place isn't worth your patronage? William Grimes, a former
> >> restaurant
> >> critic for the New York Times, serves up 10 warning signs.
> >>
> >> 1. The name of the restaurant is followed by an exclamation point.
> >> 2. It's called Bubba's Down-Home Barbecue -- and it's in Boston.
> >> 3. Out front, there's a big plastic chef holding a menu.
> >> 4. The wine list is bound in tooled leather and has tassels.
> >> 5. The cuisine is Chinese, Japanese, and Italian.
> >> 6. The review in the window has yellowed and started to curl at the
> >> corners.
> >> 7. The restaurant revolves.
> >> 8. The words "buffet," "all you can eat," or "salad bar" appear in the
> >> window.
> >> 9. The waiters are carrying pepper mills the size of shoulder-fired
> >> rockets.
> >> 10. The word "decadent" is used to describe any dessert.
> >>

> > A few others to add to Grimes's list:
> >
> > Any restaurant that advertises itself as "world famous" is best referred
> > to as infamous.
> > A Chinese restaurant (for example) that is devoid of Chinese patrons or
> > waitstaff.
> > "Celebrity chef" restaurants with multiple locations across the country.
> >
> > Cindy
> >
> > --
> > C.J. Fuller
> >
> > Delete the obvious to email me

> ANY Italian restaurant where the pizza maker is oriental.

Best soul food I ever had, bar none, was in a place run by a Chinese
gentleman. Those ribs were juicy...

Dean G.

Cindy Fuller > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (PENMART01) wrote:

> > 1. The name of the restaurant is followed by an exclamation point.
> > 2. It's called Bubba's Down-Home Barbecue -- and it's in Boston.

This is perfectly fine in Tennesee, however. In fact, it might be the
best place in town. Lefty's and Bob's are in the same catagory. OK in
Tennesee and Arkansas, highly suspect in New England.

> > 3. Out front, there's a big plastic chef holding a menu.
> > 4. The wine list is bound in tooled leather and has tassels.

There are exceptions to this as well.

> > 5. The cuisine is Chinese, Japanese, and Italian.

But I like to have 28 different options when ordering squid....

> > 6. The review in the window has yellowed and started to curl at the corners.

Unless their are a million others, many newer, to go with it.

> > 7. The restaurant revolves.

After enough wine, they all revolve, or at least spin.

<snip>

> A few others to add to Grimes's list:
>
> Any restaurant that advertises itself as "world famous" is best referred
> to as infamous.
> A Chinese restaurant (for example) that is devoid of Chinese patrons or
> waitstaff.

What about a Greek restaurant operated by a Turk ? Or an Indian
restaurant operated by either a Bangladeshi or Pakistani ? A Singapore
noodle shop operated by a Malaysian ? In the same vein, would you go
to a Hunan restaurant operated by a Cantonese person ?

> "Celebrity chef" restaurants with multiple locations across the country.

Perhaps the one rule without exceptions.

> Cindy

Dean G.
Dean G.

Cindy Fuller > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (PENMART01) wrote:

> > 1. The name of the restaurant is followed by an exclamation point.
> > 2. It's called Bubba's Down-Home Barbecue -- and it's in Boston.

This is perfectly fine in Tennesee, however. In fact, it might be the
best place in town. Lefty's and Bob's are in the same catagory. OK in
Tennesee and Arkansas, highly suspect in New England.

> > 3. Out front, there's a big plastic chef holding a menu.
> > 4. The wine list is bound in tooled leather and has tassels.

There are exceptions to this as well.

> > 5. The cuisine is Chinese, Japanese, and Italian.

But I like to have 28 different options when ordering squid....

> > 6. The review in the window has yellowed and started to curl at the corners.

Unless their are a million others, many newer, to go with it.

> > 7. The restaurant revolves.

After enough wine, they all revolve, or at least spin.

<snip>

> A few others to add to Grimes's list:
>
> Any restaurant that advertises itself as "world famous" is best referred
> to as infamous.
> A Chinese restaurant (for example) that is devoid of Chinese patrons or
> waitstaff.

What about a Greek restaurant operated by a Turk ? Or an Indian
restaurant operated by either a Bangladeshi or Pakistani ? A Singapore
noodle shop operated by a Malaysian ? In the same vein, would you go
to a Hunan restaurant operated by a Cantonese person ?

> "Celebrity chef" restaurants with multiple locations across the country.

Perhaps the one rule without exceptions.

> Cindy

Dean G.