DollyH

Default lemon pound cake question

My soon-to-be-brother-in-law has requested lemon pound cake for their wedding
cake next weekend. Rather than take chances on my sometimes good, and sometimes
not, pound cake, I've bought a bunch of boxes of Betty Crocker mix.

Any guesses on how many loaf sized mixes it will take for one 10" round and one
8" round. (Wilton 4" high springform pans.) Should I reduce the heat a little
and increase the baking time to compensate for the larger pans?

The plan is to add lemon zest to the batter. Maybe a teaspoon per box of mix??
I can't stand the taste of lemon "extract". (They sure didn't extract that
stuff from the lemons I eat.) Instead of the usual buttercream crumbcoat and
icing, I'm thinking of a powdered sugar and lemon juice glaze with prepared
Wilton fondant over it. I love the smooth look that fondant coating gives. Any
comments on this?

The decorations are done, silk flower arrangements, so I will only have to pipe
a few borders to finish it. Sure hope this is the last time my sister gets
married.

Thanks for any assistance.
crisfield2junk

My advice: Forget the mix. Get the first Silver Palate Cookbook and make
the Glazed Lemon Cake. Your new family will love you forever, I promise.