eriana

Default Spice resource?

OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd like info
on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's looks
rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an avid cook, and I love
experimenting, but we're on a very tight budget...so I'd like the best "bang
for the buck", so to speak...

TIA!

~Eri

John Gaughan

eriana wrote:
> OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd
> like info on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online.
> Penzey's looks rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an
> avid cook, and I love experimenting, but we're on a very tight
> budget...so I'd like the best "bang for the buck", so to speak...

Penzey's is worth the money but when you're buying Spanish saffron, for
example, cost is not much of an issue.

I suggest you find a farmers' market. Usually you can find fresh herbs
and somewhat fresh spices there, although you will have to do the
chopping and grinding yourself. Anyway, the cost is usually low compared
to stupidmarkets and you get much better quality. You just don't get the
convenience.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Stace

"eriana" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd like

info
> on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's

looks
> rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an avid cook, and I love
> experimenting, but we're on a very tight budget...so I'd like the best

"bang
> for the buck", so to speak...

Hi-
While I do think the Penzey's can run a bit on the expensive side depending
on what you're buying, you
can't beat their quality or selection.
If a jar of bay leaves at the stupidmarket is close to $5, I can get better
quality from Penzey's, and their
stuff never seems to be 'old', if that helps.
Their prices used to put me off, but I've learned that it's very much worth
it for what you end up with.

As always, YMMV...
Stace

DRB

"eriana" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd like

info
> on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's

looks
> rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an avid cook, and I love
> experimenting, but we're on a very tight budget...so I'd like the best

"bang
> for the buck", so to speak...
>
> TIA!
>
> ~Eri

Penzey's quality is great. I am also on a budget, but unlike you, I really
don't think they're terribly expensive. Most spices, I get the 1/4 cup
jars--the smallest size--and they typically run anywhere from 1.19 to 3.00.
In the supermarkets around here, I would pay about 4-5 dollars for that
same-sized container and it wouldn't be nearly the quality of Penzeys.
Granted, some of the spice blends can be a little pricey, but just for
normal, standard spices, the prices seem pretty reasonable to me, especially
when you take the quality into account.

Sheryl Rosen

in article t, eriana at
wrote on 1/18/04 5:43 PM:

> OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd like info
> on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's looks
> rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an avid cook, and I love
> experimenting, but we're on a very tight budget...so I'd like the best "bang
> for the buck", so to speak...
>
> TIA!
>
> ~Eri

Penzey's herbs and spices are very inexpensive, compared to supermarket
brands. Even the blends, in the small jars, are under $3. You can't even
compare those to the the supermarket brands because they don't have them.
The single herbs, like oregano, basil, etc, are mostly around $1.29.

Sure, you can buy some basic herbs in tall jars at the drug store (CVS,
Walgreens, Eckards, all carry them) for 99 cents. And I guess, compared to
those, yeah, Penzey's is pricey. But those are goodness-knows-how-old in
those bottles, to start with. Add in they sit there forever...well, you are
not getting the freshest dried herbs in the world in those 99 cent bottles,
I promise you that. Herbs' flavor just fades with time, so you will wind up
using lots more of old herbs to get the same amount of flavor from fresher
herbs and spices.

Depends on how often you use herbs and spices and how long hang around at
your house. I know when I was buying the cheap stuff, I had to use a lot
more, and still didn't get the flavor that much, so i just didn't bother a
lot of the time, it didn't really add much but "grass" to my food. Once I
discovered Penzey's, however, i found out what they all really taste like.
And I use them because they do add a lot to my cooking.

Bang for the buck? Depends on your definition. If you mean sheer quantity
for the price, then go with cheap drug store herbs and spices. (Spice World
is one brand they carry)

For maximum flavor for a small investment, I'd say Penzey's is your best
bet.

Nancy Young

DRB wrote:

> Penzey's quality is great. I am also on a budget, but unlike you, I really
> don't think they're terribly expensive. Most spices, I get the 1/4 cup
> jars--the smallest size--and they typically run anywhere from 1.19 to 3.00.
> In the supermarkets around here, I would pay about 4-5 dollars for that
> same-sized container and it wouldn't be nearly the quality of Penzeys.

I'm with you, I think the prices at Penzeys are excellent. I cringe
when I have to buy some spice from the supermarket at those prices for
that quality when I need something now. If you know what I mean. I'm
probably like most here, I buy the jars, then when it comes time to
restock, I buy larger quantities in the bag and just refill the jars.

Yeah, I know, you have to pay shipping, that's life. But the spices
in the stores are out of sight, pricewise.

nancy
Sheryl Rosen

in article , Stace at
wrote on 1/18/04 6:02 PM:

> "eriana" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>> OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd like

> info
>> on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's

> looks
>> rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an avid cook, and I love
>> experimenting, but we're on a very tight budget...so I'd like the best

> "bang
>> for the buck", so to speak...

> Hi-
> While I do think the Penzey's can run a bit on the expensive side depending
> on what you're buying, you
> can't beat their quality or selection.
> If a jar of bay leaves at the stupidmarket is close to $5, I can get better
> quality from Penzey's, and their
> stuff never seems to be 'old', if that helps.
> Their prices used to put me off, but I've learned that it's very much worth
> it for what you end up with.
>
> As always, YMMV...
> Stace

Well, you wind up using less because their stuff still packs the flavor.
Lots of the cheaper brands are faded when you buy them.
I can buy old basil for 99 cents at CVS Pharmacy for a big tall jar. That
amount would cost me over $2 from Penzeys. But the basil at the drug store
has about 1/3 the flavor, so i have to use 3 times as much, so really....

$1.09 for a quarter ounce jar will last me as long as that 99 cent bottle of
the old, tasteless stuff. And take up less room to store.

That, to me, is a bargain.

If you are really on a tight budget, don't bother with the blends at first.
Just get the basic herbs and blend as you cook.

Stace

"Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message
> Well, you wind up using less because their stuff still packs the flavor.
> Lots of the cheaper brands are faded when you buy them.
> I can buy old basil for 99 cents at CVS Pharmacy for a big tall jar. That
> amount would cost me over $2 from Penzeys. But the basil at the drug

store
> has about 1/3 the flavor, so i have to use 3 times as much, so really....
>
> $1.09 for a quarter ounce jar will last me as long as that 99 cent bottle

of
> the old, tasteless stuff. And take up less room to store.
>
> That, to me, is a bargain.
>
> If you are really on a tight budget, don't bother with the blends at

first.
> Just get the basic herbs and blend as you cook.

You just re-iterated my point, exactly.
Their quality just can't be beat.
Sunny Paris, unfortunately, is my favorite seasoning blend.

Stace

Nancree

Eriana wrote:
>but I'd like info
>on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's looks
>rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an avid cook, and I love
>experimenting, but we're on a very tight budget...so I'd like the best "bang
>for the buck", so to speak...

--------------------------------
Do you have large supermarkets that have a lot of "health food" items ? At
Henry's Markets in the San Diego area they have a whole wall of large spice
jars. You put as much, or as little in a little plastic bag and pay by the
weight of the spice. Wonderful not only for cost-saving, but freshness. You
can replace your spices often.

kalanamak

eriana wrote:

> OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd like info
> on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's looks
> rather expensive...but how is the quality?

It is certainly cheaper than the super market, and far, far better. I
have friends who swear by Frontier Spices at big food co-ops, but I have
no idea how old the stuff is.
blacksalt
orion

"Nancree" > wrote in message

> Eriana wrote:
> >but I'd like info
> >on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's

looks
> >rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an avid cook, and I love
> >experimenting, but we're on a very tight budget...so I'd like the best

"bang
> >for the buck", so to speak...

> --------------------------------
> Do you have large supermarkets that have a lot of "health food" items ?

At
> Henry's Markets in the San Diego area they have a whole wall of large

spice
> jars. You put as much, or as little in a little plastic bag and pay by

the
> weight of the spice. Wonderful not only for cost-saving, but freshness.

You
> can replace your spices often.

I shop there a few times a week (Henry's - hard not to call it Boney's), the
one on Park Blvd. I like there teas as well. It's been way more crowded
since the supermarket strike, but they still keep things pretty well
stocked. I especially like the specials they have on Salmon though, and all
of the bulk foods.

Cheers,
Suzan

Jessica Vincent

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> eriana wrote:
> >
> > OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd like

info
> > on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's

looks
> > rather expensive...but how is the quality?

> It is certainly cheaper than the super market, and far, far better. I
> have friends who swear by Frontier Spices at big food co-ops, but I have
> no idea how old the stuff is.
> blacksalt

I've used Frontier Spices for quite a few years now with some Penzeys and
Stonewall Kitchen blends thrown in for variety. I buy the Frontier at a
high volume "health food" store. I've found the flavors to be very pleasant
with plenty of bang for the buck. If a limited budget is the concern I'd
really recomend loose Frontier spices...for $20 or less I *could* fill all
of my 30 odd spice jars.

Jessica

Miche

In article et>,
"eriana" > wrote:

> OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd like info
> on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's looks
> rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an avid cook, and I love
> experimenting, but we're on a very tight budget...so I'd like the best "bang
> for the buck", so to speak...

Then go with Penzeys. They're the best spices I've ever used, bar none.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Jack Schidt®

"eriana" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd like

info
> on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's

looks
> rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an avid cook, and I love
> experimenting, but we're on a very tight budget...so I'd like the best

"bang
> for the buck", so to speak...
>
> TIA!
>
> ~Eri

In terms of bang for the buck, Penzey's is hard to beat. The spices are
quality, the prices really aren't that expensive and the service is
outstanding. If you really are on a tight budget, grow your own herbs and
save some $$.

Jack Fertile

Dktrimb

I've had great luck with spicebarn.com
sf

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:13:25 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

> $1.09 for a quarter ounce jar will last me as long as that 99 cent bottle of
> the old, tasteless stuff. And take up less room to store.

No one ever mentions S & H $$. Is it free?

DRB

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:13:25 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> > wrote:
>

> > $1.09 for a quarter ounce jar will last me as long as that 99 cent

bottle of
> > the old, tasteless stuff. And take up less room to store.

> No one ever mentions S & H $$. Is it free?

No, but it's not outrageous, and doesn't add much per item.
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...L79N3&mv_pc=14
is the url for their shipping rates.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Miche
> wrote:
(snip inquiry)
> Then go with Penzeys. They're the best spices I've ever used, bar
> none.

> Miche

Holy moley!! You paying for them to ship to you in NZ? That's quite
an endorsement.
--
-Barb
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail;
eriana

"Nancree" > wrote in message
> Do you have large supermarkets that have a lot of "health food" items ?

At
> Henry's Markets in the San Diego area they have a whole wall of large

spice
> jars.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...no...I live in the "sticks" of North Carolina. The
only large city anywhere close is Raleigh -- 3 hours away; we only get there
about once every 12-15 months...and I've never been in a grocery store
there.

We're moving back to Texas in a few months -- probably near Austin -- and
there are MANY awesome stores (health-food, health/grocery, and grocery
stores)...not to mention the plethora of marvellous Hispanic spices, mixes,
and accompaniments you just can't find here ("nopalitos? What are
nopalitos?" *rolleyes). I guess I'll wait until after we move, so I can
hand-pick what I want...as well as start up my herb garden again. (WOOHOO!
FRESH!)

Thanks!

~Eri

A mukluk wearing troll

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:39:39 GMT, "DRB" > wrote:
>"eriana" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>> OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd like

>info
>> on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's

>looks
>> rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an avid cook, and I love
>> experimenting, but we're on a very tight budget...so I'd like the best

>"bang
>> for the buck", so to speak...
>>
>> TIA!
>>
>> ~Eri
>>

>Penzey's quality is great. I am also on a budget, but unlike you, I really
>don't think they're terribly expensive. Most spices, I get the 1/4 cup
>jars--the smallest size--and they typically run anywhere from 1.19 to 3.00.
>In the supermarkets around here, I would pay about 4-5 dollars for that
>same-sized container and it wouldn't be nearly the quality of Penzeys.
>Granted, some of the spice blends can be a little pricey, but just for
>normal, standard spices, the prices seem pretty reasonable to me, especially
>when you take the quality into account.

Umm, colour me having a different experience, but don't most American
towns have asian or other ethnic supermarkets tucked away somewhere?

Even when I was living in the back of beyond in Alberta, a trip into
Medicine Hat or Lethbridge to the local Asian grocery put my hands on
fresh spices in large quantities at reasonable cost.

Shirley, currently back in Toronto, where mundo fresh seasonings and
spice can be had for a relative song.

Michael Ellis

A mukluk wearing troll wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:39:39 GMT, "DRB" > wrote:
> >"eriana" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >> OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd like

> >info
> >> on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's

> >looks
> >> rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an avid cook, and I love
> >> experimenting, but we're on a very tight budget...so I'd like the best

> >"bang
> >> for the buck", so to speak...
> >>
> >> TIA!
> >>
> >> ~Eri
> >>

> >Penzey's quality is great. I am also on a budget, but unlike you, I really
> >don't think they're terribly expensive. Most spices, I get the 1/4 cup
> >jars--the smallest size--and they typically run anywhere from 1.19 to 3.00.
> >In the supermarkets around here, I would pay about 4-5 dollars for that
> >same-sized container and it wouldn't be nearly the quality of Penzeys.
> >Granted, some of the spice blends can be a little pricey, but just for
> >normal, standard spices, the prices seem pretty reasonable to me, especially
> >when you take the quality into account.

> Umm, colour me having a different experience, but don't most American
> towns have asian or other ethnic supermarkets tucked away somewhere?
>
> Even when I was living in the back of beyond in Alberta, a trip into
> Medicine Hat or Lethbridge to the local Asian grocery put my hands on
> fresh spices in large quantities at reasonable cost.
>
> Shirley, currently back in Toronto, where mundo fresh seasonings and
> spice can be had for a relative song.

Hey Shirley, ever been to Spice World in kensington market?? Great place for
spices and herbs though the absolute best is herbies herbs on queen and bathurst.
Best for price, quality and amount though be careful of the cayenne

--
Michael Ellis, IAPP
Privacy Manager

Date.com - "The New Way To Date"

\

I've tried Chef Todds' spices at angelinashouse.com and they're
wonderful.

B.Server

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:43:20 GMT, "eriana" >
wrote:

>OK, please forgive me if this has been discussed before...but I'd like info
>on some good, INEXPENSIVE places to purchase spices online. Penzey's looks
>rather expensive...but how is the quality? I'm an avid cook, and I love
>experimenting, but we're on a very tight budget...so I'd like the best "bang
>for the buck", so to speak...
>
>TIA!
>
>~Eri

I do not find the Penzey's prices for whole spices very much out of
line. If you buy a reasonable amount, bottle a little for daily use
and freeze the rest, they are not bad at all. If you live somewhere
with a community of Chinese or Indians about, you will find that
ethnic grocery prices are even lower. I buy those things that are
common in Indian cooking (cloves, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom,
cumin, mace, nutmeg, black cumin and the like) at a local Indian
grocery. More specialized items (particular types of cinnamon for
example or the best black peppercorns) I buy from Penzey's, World
Spice or CMC. Many of the common culinary herbs (Rosemary, thyme,
basil, parsley, dill, chilies, sage, marjoram, oregano, ginger,
turmeric, galangal, kaffir lime, etc. ), I grow. If you have the time
and the space for a few pots, there are quite a lot of things that you
can grow for yourself.

A mukluk wearing troll

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:55:55 -0500, Michael Ellis >
wrote:
>A mukluk wearing troll wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 "DRB" wrote:
>> >"eriana" wrote in message

<Penzey's snipped>

>> Umm, colour me having a different experience, but don't most American
>> towns have asian or other ethnic supermarkets tucked away somewhere?
>>
>> Even when I was living in the back of beyond in Alberta, a trip into
>> Medicine Hat or Lethbridge to the local Asian grocery put my hands on
>> fresh spices in large quantities at reasonable cost.
>>
>> Shirley, currently back in Toronto, where mundo fresh seasonings and
>> spice can be had for a relative song.

>Hey Shirley, ever been to Spice World in kensington market?? Great place for
>spices and herbs though the absolute best is herbies herbs on queen and bathurst.
>Best for price, quality and amount though be careful of the cayenne

Thanks for the tip.

I've been to Spice World, but living as inner suburbia as I do, on the
cusp between areas where bicycle bests car, and visa versa, it's
actually easier to go out to Grants' in Missisauga (an asian
supermarket named auspiciously after the US $50, close to where my
parental units live. Their selection is pretty good, in bulk and
fresh. What they don't have, the indian joint three stores down in the
mall does.

Good store, Spice World. I will have to check out Herbie's Herbs next
time I'm down for other shopping. At this time of year, the fresh mint
has died back (the roomie goes through a lot) and I'd like a source
for greenhouse basil.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario
Michael Ellis

A mukluk wearing troll wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:55:55 -0500, Michael Ellis >
> wrote:
> >A mukluk wearing troll wrote:

> <Penzey's snipped>
>
> >> Umm, colour me having a different experience, but don't most American
> >> towns have asian or other ethnic supermarkets tucked away somewhere?
> >>
> >> Even when I was living in the back of beyond in Alberta, a trip into
> >> Medicine Hat or Lethbridge to the local Asian grocery put my hands on
> >> fresh spices in large quantities at reasonable cost.
> >>
> >> Shirley, currently back in Toronto, where mundo fresh seasonings and
> >> spice can be had for a relative song.

> >Hey Shirley, ever been to Spice World in kensington market?? Great place for
> >spices and herbs though the absolute best is herbies herbs on queen and bathurst.
> >Best for price, quality and amount though be careful of the cayenne

> Thanks for the tip.
>
> I've been to Spice World, but living as inner suburbia as I do, on the
> cusp between areas where bicycle bests car, and visa versa, it's
> actually easier to go out to Grants' in Missisauga (an asian
> supermarket named auspiciously after the US $50, close to where my
> parental units live. Their selection is pretty good, in bulk and
> fresh. What they don't have, the indian joint three stores down in the
> mall does.
>
> Good store, Spice World. I will have to check out Herbie's Herbs next
> time I'm down for other shopping. At this time of year, the fresh mint
> has died back (the roomie goes through a lot) and I'd like a source
> for greenhouse basil.
>
> Shirley Hicks
> Toronto, Ontario

Try richters herbs (they have a website) north of toronto for seedlings and plants or
Lee Valley is good too

--
Michael Ellis, IAPP
Privacy Manager

Date.com - "The New Way To Date"

A mukluk wearing troll

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:18:02 -0500, Michael Ellis >
wrote:
>A mukluk wearing troll wrote:

<snip>

>Try richters herbs (they have a website) north of toronto for seedlings and plants or
>Lee Valley is good too

Actually, I've used Richter's for years. Is where I buy my seed for
balcony basil.

No, I mean cut basil, bunches and bunches of it. I've eaten all of my
pesto from the balcony _and_ what I bought at the farmer's market!

TB