OmManiPadmeOmelet

Vietnamese will eat anything...
including dogs.

Om

--
"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only
enough blood to run one at a time." -Robin Williams
CoastWatcher

If you want to know how to eat carp, ask the black folks from a
generation or two back. They knew how to make it a delicacy...

Java Guy wrote:

> Koi which is a special type of carp is very expensive to eat.
> A nice 1-foot koi can cost thousands of dollars.
>
> "nut" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>>i see people fishing for carp in some ponds.
>>
>>carp is a big fat uglyass fish. it doesn't look all that appetizing.
>>
>>can you eat that carp or crap?
>>
>>how do you prepare it? what's it taste like?

FreddieN

Really? I thought they were good with catfish.

"Coas****cher" > wrote in message
> If you want to know how to eat carp, ask the black folks from a
> generation or two back. They knew how to make it a delicacy...
>
> Java Guy wrote:
>
> > Koi which is a special type of carp is very expensive to eat.
> > A nice 1-foot koi can cost thousands of dollars.
> >
> > "nut" > wrote in message
> > m...
> >
> >>i see people fishing for carp in some ponds.
> >>
> >>carp is a big fat uglyass fish. it doesn't look all that appetizing.
> >>
> >>can you eat that carp or crap?
> >>
> >>how do you prepare it? what's it taste like?

GoombaP

Yeah, it's ugly, but try to find out where it came from. Carp will live and
grow in water that's contaminated, poluted, and just plain unsafe for most
other critters. At Michigan State years ago carp thrived in the Red Cedar
River where it crossed through campus. And then anyone who went into the
water had to get a tetanus shot. So beware -- it might not be the ugly fish
that gets you.

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Dave Smith writes:
>>Carp is very popular in some cultures. Apparently you have to take
>>great care to bone it.

> Carp is easy to de-bone, fillet while still whole, *before" cooking.
>
> Smoked carp is a great delicacy.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

GoombaP

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Dave Smith writes:
>>Carp is very popular in some cultures. Apparently you have to take
>>great care to bone it.

> Carp is easy to de-bone, fillet while still whole, *before" cooking.
>
> Smoked carp is a great delicacy.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

Prophet of the Way

Java Guy wrote:

> Koi which is a special type of carp is very expensive to eat.
> A nice 1-foot koi can cost thousands of dollars.

That is pet version: "nishikigoi". Nobody eats that.
Dave Smith

Java Guy wrote:

> Koi which is a special type of carp is very expensive to eat.
> A nice 1-foot koi can cost thousands of dollars.

Not to expensive for our local Great Blue Herons. I have a small pond in my
back yard which acts as my personal mosquito control device. It provides an
ideal looking breeding location for the skitters, but there are lots of
hungry fish in it to eat the eggs and larvae. It works great. I haven't had
a mosquito problem since I built it.

I used to stock it with feeder fish, the little goldfish that you get for
about $2 per dozen. I'd buy them in the spring and by fall they would be a
decent size. If they didn't make it through the winter I could re-stock it
in the spring for a few dollars.

One year I decided to splurge and bought a half dozen koi, priced at $12-18
each. By the end of the first week there was one left, and my wife walked
out to the back yard just in time to see the last one being tossed up in
the air and swallowed by a Heron. I went back to stocking it with feeder
fish.

Dave Smith

Java Guy wrote:

> Koi which is a special type of carp is very expensive to eat.
> A nice 1-foot koi can cost thousands of dollars.

Not to expensive for our local Great Blue Herons. I have a small pond in my
back yard which acts as my personal mosquito control device. It provides an
ideal looking breeding location for the skitters, but there are lots of
hungry fish in it to eat the eggs and larvae. It works great. I haven't had
a mosquito problem since I built it.

I used to stock it with feeder fish, the little goldfish that you get for
about $2 per dozen. I'd buy them in the spring and by fall they would be a
decent size. If they didn't make it through the winter I could re-stock it
in the spring for a few dollars.

One year I decided to splurge and bought a half dozen koi, priced at $12-18
each. By the end of the first week there was one left, and my wife walked
out to the back yard just in time to see the last one being tossed up in
the air and swallowed by a Heron. I went back to stocking it with feeder
fish.

sf

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:32:43 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> One year I decided to splurge and bought a half dozen koi, priced at $12-18
> each. By the end of the first week there was one left, and my wife walked
> out to the back yard just in time to see the last one being tossed up in
> the air and swallowed by a Heron. I went back to stocking it with feeder
> fish.

Good move! I live in a city and don't want to feed the
racoons. Try Mosquito fish next time - they are even less
expensive and they are great mosquito eaters.
http://www.iisgcp.org/EXOTICSP/Mosquitofish.htm

sf

Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Java Guy wrote:
>
> > Koi which is a special type of carp is very expensive to eat.
> > A nice 1-foot koi can cost thousands of dollars.

> Not to expensive for our local Great Blue Herons. I have a small pond in my
> back yard which acts as my personal mosquito control device. It provides an
> ideal looking breeding location for the skitters, but there are lots of
> hungry fish in it to eat the eggs and larvae. It works great. I haven't had
> a mosquito problem since I built it.
>
> I used to stock it with feeder fish, the little goldfish that you get for
> about $2 per dozen. I'd buy them in the spring and by fall they would be a
> decent size. If they didn't make it through the winter I could re-stock it
> in the spring for a few dollars.
>
> One year I decided to splurge and bought a half dozen koi, priced at $12-18
> each. By the end of the first week there was one left, and my wife walked
> out to the back yard just in time to see the last one being tossed up in
> the air and swallowed by a Heron. I went back to stocking it with feeder
> fish.

I think I'd be having roast Heron....... ;-)

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply

"One man's god is another man's devil (and vice versa) as far as
I'm concerned." --Delta Nine
Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Java Guy wrote:
>
> > Koi which is a special type of carp is very expensive to eat.
> > A nice 1-foot koi can cost thousands of dollars.

> Not to expensive for our local Great Blue Herons. I have a small pond in my
> back yard which acts as my personal mosquito control device. It provides an
> ideal looking breeding location for the skitters, but there are lots of
> hungry fish in it to eat the eggs and larvae. It works great. I haven't had
> a mosquito problem since I built it.
>
> I used to stock it with feeder fish, the little goldfish that you get for
> about $2 per dozen. I'd buy them in the spring and by fall they would be a
> decent size. If they didn't make it through the winter I could re-stock it
> in the spring for a few dollars.
>
> One year I decided to splurge and bought a half dozen koi, priced at $12-18
> each. By the end of the first week there was one left, and my wife walked
> out to the back yard just in time to see the last one being tossed up in
> the air and swallowed by a Heron. I went back to stocking it with feeder
> fish.

I think I'd be having roast Heron....... ;-)

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply

"One man's god is another man's devil (and vice versa) as far as
I'm concerned." --Delta Nine
Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Java Guy wrote:
>
> > Koi which is a special type of carp is very expensive to eat.
> > A nice 1-foot koi can cost thousands of dollars.

> Not to expensive for our local Great Blue Herons. I have a small pond in my
> back yard which acts as my personal mosquito control device. It provides an
> ideal looking breeding location for the skitters, but there are lots of
> hungry fish in it to eat the eggs and larvae. It works great. I haven't had
> a mosquito problem since I built it.
>
> I used to stock it with feeder fish, the little goldfish that you get for
> about $2 per dozen. I'd buy them in the spring and by fall they would be a
> decent size. If they didn't make it through the winter I could re-stock it
> in the spring for a few dollars.
>
> One year I decided to splurge and bought a half dozen koi, priced at $12-18
> each. By the end of the first week there was one left, and my wife walked
> out to the back yard just in time to see the last one being tossed up in
> the air and swallowed by a Heron. I went back to stocking it with feeder
> fish.

I think I'd be having roast Heron....... ;-)

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply

"One man's god is another man's devil (and vice versa) as far as
I'm concerned." --Delta Nine
Musashi

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message =
> Nuki Mouse wrote:
>=20
> > Since when does Ugly =3D Un-eatable or bad tasting?
> > Is a catfish not even more ugly (IMO)
> > Ever seen a grouper? It is a very tasty fish and is FAR uglier than =

any carp.
>=20
> I don't know about a catfish being uglier than a carp, but have a look =

at a
> monkfish sometime. Now that is a disgusting looking fish, but it =

tastes great.
> A lot of people are turned off by eels, but they are very tasty. Good =

smoked
> eel is a real treat.
>=20

Americans in general tend to eat less types of seafood than some other =
countries.
They tend to treat fish such as carp, monkfish, eel, sea robins, etc etc =
as
"trash fish". Monkfish called Ankou in Japan and Lotte in France are =
prized
in both countries, as is the Sea Robin, Houbou in Japan and Gunard in =
France.
Eels are prized everywhere except the US. In Europe including England
smoked eel is a delicacy. Italians enjoy an Anguilla dinner at Christmas =
time.
However with the rising costs of fish worldwide it may be a matter of =
time before
such "trash fish" become prized fish in the US.

Nancy Dooley

> Farm raised fresh carp is supposed to be good, but wild carp supposedly has
> a weird after taste but I've never tried either one. However, I've had
> smoked carp before and while it was not bad, it was nothing spectacular.
> I would never _not_ try a new food just because the animal or plant it came
> from was "Ugly."
>
> Nuki Mouse

There used to be - may still be - a little restaurant in Omaha which
specialized in carp - they boned it (!), cut the top down into splits
(like you made a Chinese Lantern when you were a kid) - spread the
splits, breaded it and fried it whole. Delicious!

Around here, some people like to "jelly" it (pickled) and eat it like
that.

N.

Nancy Dooley

> Farm raised fresh carp is supposed to be good, but wild carp supposedly has
> a weird after taste but I've never tried either one. However, I've had
> smoked carp before and while it was not bad, it was nothing spectacular.
> I would never _not_ try a new food just because the animal or plant it came
> from was "Ugly."
>
> Nuki Mouse

There used to be - may still be - a little restaurant in Omaha which
specialized in carp - they boned it (!), cut the top down into splits
(like you made a Chinese Lantern when you were a kid) - spread the
splits, breaded it and fried it whole. Delicious!

Around here, some people like to "jelly" it (pickled) and eat it like
that.

N.
anko eater

"Java Guy" > wrote in message
> Koi which is a special type of carp is very expensive to eat.
> A nice 1-foot koi can cost thousands of dollars.

Yes, carp is rather a fish to watch, not a fish to eat in Japan.

> "nut" > wrote in message
> m...
> >i see people fishing for carp in some ponds.
> >
> > carp is a big fat uglyass fish. it doesn't look all that appetizing.
> >
> > can you eat that carp or crap?
> >
> > how do you prepare it? what's it taste like?

Gregory Morrow

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> > Farm raised fresh carp is supposed to be good, but wild carp supposedly

has
> > a weird after taste but I've never tried either one. However, I've had
> > smoked carp before and while it was not bad, it was nothing spectacular.
> > I would never _not_ try a new food just because the animal or plant it

came
> > from was "Ugly."
> >
> > Nuki Mouse

> There used to be - may still be - a little restaurant in Omaha which
> specialized in carp - they boned it (!), cut the top down into splits
> (like you made a Chinese Lantern when you were a kid) - spread the
> splits, breaded it and fried it whole. Delicious!
>
> Around here, some people like to "jelly" it (pickled) and eat it like
> that.

Smoked and fried carp was almost a staple where I grew up (just south of the
Quad Cities and a few miles from the Mississipi). It's considered a "dirty"
fish, as it's a scavenger and will eat most anything (catfish is another
such animal). To clean them up a bit the carp were put into big tanks of
fresh water at the fish market and fed some cornmeal for a few days, This
"sweetened" them up a bit and they'd purge some of their accumulated gunk...

Smoked carp is delicious, a real delicacy (few bones, mostly cartilage). At
that time (60's - 70's) where I grew up it was dirt - cheap, too...carp grew
to HUGE proportions. I remember somebody snagging one that was almost five
feet long...

And if you want so see an oogli fish, try looking at a garfish if you dare
:-)

--
Best
Greg

PaPaPeng

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:15:20 -0500, Katra
> wrote:

>> One year I decided to splurge and bought a half dozen koi, priced at $12-18
>> each. By the end of the first week there was one left, and my wife walked
>> out to the back yard just in time to see the last one being tossed up in
>> the air and swallowed by a Heron. I went back to stocking it with feeder
>> fish.
>>

>I think I'd be having roast Heron....... ;-)

I have been to all three coasts of the US , Atlantic, Pacific and the
Gulf. The seafood life is abundant and varied. Tuna, mackeral,
swordfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimps, more. Fresh from the sea. Then
what do your Americans do? Ruin perfectly good fish by roasting them
or some other culinary disaster that leaves them dry and tasting like
fiber roughage. Go to a good Chinese restaurant an order steamed
fish. It will be a whole new eating experience.

Nancy Young

PaPaPeng wrote:

> I have been to all three coasts of the US , Atlantic, Pacific and the
> Gulf. The seafood life is abundant and varied. Tuna, mackeral,
> swordfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimps, more. Fresh from the sea. Then
> what do your Americans do? Ruin perfectly good fish by roasting them
> or some other culinary disaster that leaves them dry and tasting like
> fiber roughage. Go to a good Chinese restaurant an order steamed
> fish. It will be a whole new eating experience.

Oh, steamed fish!!! WHERE, oh WHERE do I sign. Yuck.

nancy
Katra

In article >,
PaPaPeng > wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:15:20 -0500, Katra
> > wrote:
>

> >> One year I decided to splurge and bought a half dozen koi, priced at $12-18
> >> each. By the end of the first week there was one left, and my wife walked
> >> out to the back yard just in time to see the last one being tossed up in
> >> the air and swallowed by a Heron. I went back to stocking it with feeder
> >> fish.
> >>

> >I think I'd be having roast Heron....... ;-)
> >

> I have been to all three coasts of the US , Atlantic, Pacific and the
> Gulf. The seafood life is abundant and varied. Tuna, mackeral,
> swordfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimps, more. Fresh from the sea. Then
> what do your Americans do? Ruin perfectly good fish by roasting them
> or some other culinary disaster that leaves them dry and tasting like
> fiber roughage. Go to a good Chinese restaurant an order steamed
> fish. It will be a whole new eating experience.

Don't stereotype... ;-)

And properly roasted fish is anything but dry!
You just ran into someone that did not know how to cook.
I've steamed and/or poached it as well. Depends on my mood.

Yeesh!

I just think that carp is too bony and bland to mess with.
If I want bland fish, I'll eat whiting fillets. They are cheap...

But, that's just me. I've tried carp a couple of times and I just
don't like to deal with that many bones! There are too many other
alternatives.

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply

"One man's god is another man's devil (and vice versa) as far as
I'm concerned." --Delta Nine
Katra

In article >,
Nancy Young > wrote:

> PaPaPeng wrote:
>
> > I have been to all three coasts of the US , Atlantic, Pacific and the
> > Gulf. The seafood life is abundant and varied. Tuna, mackeral,
> > swordfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimps, more. Fresh from the sea. Then
> > what do your Americans do? Ruin perfectly good fish by roasting them
> > or some other culinary disaster that leaves them dry and tasting like
> > fiber roughage. Go to a good Chinese restaurant an order steamed
> > fish. It will be a whole new eating experience.

> Oh, steamed fish!!! WHERE, oh WHERE do I sign. Yuck.
>
> nancy

Don't knock it dear... :-)
Steamed catfish, if done properly, is actually quite good.
So is salmon.

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply

"One man's god is another man's devil (and vice versa) as far as
I'm concerned." --Delta Nine
Nancy Young

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> > PaPaPeng wrote:
> >
> > > I have been to all three coasts of the US , Atlantic, Pacific and the
> > > Gulf. The seafood life is abundant and varied. Tuna, mackeral,
> > > swordfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimps, more. Fresh from the sea. Then
> > > what do your Americans do? Ruin perfectly good fish by roasting them
> > > or some other culinary disaster that leaves them dry and tasting like
> > > fiber roughage. Go to a good Chinese restaurant an order steamed
> > > fish. It will be a whole new eating experience.

> > Oh, steamed fish!!! WHERE, oh WHERE do I sign. Yuck.

> Don't knock it dear... :-)
> Steamed catfish, if done properly, is actually quite good.
> So is salmon.

I've tried it, I dislike steamed fish.

nancy
Nancy Young

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> > PaPaPeng wrote:
> >
> > > I have been to all three coasts of the US , Atlantic, Pacific and the
> > > Gulf. The seafood life is abundant and varied. Tuna, mackeral,
> > > swordfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimps, more. Fresh from the sea. Then
> > > what do your Americans do? Ruin perfectly good fish by roasting them
> > > or some other culinary disaster that leaves them dry and tasting like
> > > fiber roughage. Go to a good Chinese restaurant an order steamed
> > > fish. It will be a whole new eating experience.

> > Oh, steamed fish!!! WHERE, oh WHERE do I sign. Yuck.

> Don't knock it dear... :-)
> Steamed catfish, if done properly, is actually quite good.
> So is salmon.

I've tried it, I dislike steamed fish.

nancy

Virginia Tadrzynski

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in
message nk.net...

> Nancy Dooley wrote:
>
> > > Farm raised fresh carp is supposed to be good, but wild carp

supposedly
> has
> > > a weird after taste but I've never tried either one. However, I've

had
> > > smoked carp before and while it was not bad, it was nothing

spectacular.
> > > I would never _not_ try a new food just because the animal or plant it

> came
> > > from was "Ugly."
> > >
> > > Nuki Mouse

> > There used to be - may still be - a little restaurant in Omaha which
> > specialized in carp - they boned it (!), cut the top down into splits
> > (like you made a Chinese Lantern when you were a kid) - spread the
> > splits, breaded it and fried it whole. Delicious!
> >
> > Around here, some people like to "jelly" it (pickled) and eat it like
> > that.

> Smoked and fried carp was almost a staple where I grew up (just south of

the
> Quad Cities and a few miles from the Mississipi). It's considered a

"dirty"
> fish, as it's a scavenger and will eat most anything (catfish is another
> such animal). To clean them up a bit the carp were put into big tanks of
> fresh water at the fish market and fed some cornmeal for a few days, This
> "sweetened" them up a bit and they'd purge some of their accumulated

gunk...

> Smoked carp is delicious, a real delicacy (few bones, mostly cartilage).

At
> that time (60's - 70's) where I grew up it was dirt - cheap, too...carp

grew
> to HUGE proportions. I remember somebody snagging one that was almost

five
> feet long...
>
> And if you want so see an oogli fish, try looking at a garfish if you dare
> :-)
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Has anyone seen an Israeli carp? My dad used to bring them home from his
drinking/fishing escapades. Sort of a cross between a catfish and a carp to
look at it....grew to some pretty large sizes too. He would skin them like
catfish as they had both scales and skin (like both fish types) and bread it
with cornmeal and fry it.

I grew up on the PeeDee River in NC right next to Blewitt Falls Dam (yes
that is the CORRECT name of the river and the falls). They used to pull
some hellacious cats out of the river there. Ft. Bragg lost a helicopter
in the river once....they retrieved the chopper but not the bodies, said the
cats got'em. They used to post pictures in the local rag.....an 8' cat was
not unusual.
-Ginny

PaPaPeng

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:13:59 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>PaPaPeng wrote:
>
>> I have been to all three coasts of the US , Atlantic, Pacific and the
>> Gulf. The seafood life is abundant and varied. Tuna, mackeral,
>> swordfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimps, more. Fresh from the sea. Then
>> what do your Americans do? Ruin perfectly good fish by roasting them
>> or some other culinary disaster that leaves them dry and tasting like
>> fiber roughage. Go to a good Chinese restaurant an order steamed
>> fish. It will be a whole new eating experience.

>Oh, steamed fish!!! WHERE, oh WHERE do I sign. Yuck.
>
>nancy

The Oriental method (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc.) of cooking
seafood is to preserve its freshness and natural body juices that
roasting and frying will destroy. The cooking time for fish is
critical and extremely short. The fish is done as soon as the flesh
turns white. The smooth texture and distinctive flavor of almost raw
flesh is preserved. Raw fish is a delicacy. But this needs fish that
is very, very fresh and therefore only specialty restaurants serve
them.

The best dishes use fresh seafood that has never been frozen as
freezing breaks the cells to let out the meat juices. Really fresh
seafood doesn' t smell or taste of stale fish, a past best by date
condition we orientals distinctly dislike. Anything more than a few
days old will start smelling and tasting fishy. We toss those out or
disguise the taste some other way.

We will never dream of roasting or baking fresh fish as it overcooks
it and dry out the flesh turning the flesh tasteless, tough, rough and
fibrous to the tongue.

We steam our fresh fish in soy sauce with a hint of shortening and
garnish it with ginger and onion sprouts to take out what little fishy
taste there is. Steaming allows the flavor of the light sauce to
permeate right into the flesh and the flesh just melts in your mouth.
Delicious. Heavenly. Soft smooth tasty meat that melts right in you
mouth. Because it is soft and melts in you mouth its very easy to
seperate even the smallest bones from the flesh buy sucking at the
morsel in your mouth. Sucking to separate the bones from carp is
child's play. Spit out the bones. Wait till you see a Chinese party
order fish head (referenced to in Kill Bill 2) and you will see a
plie of bones spat out on the plate after the diner had lovingly
sucked out all the flavor and what little flesh there was. Don't be
surprised a good fish head order costs a lot more than regular fish.

Lemon juice is a no no for it completely masks the taste of fresh
seafood.

There will be some fish dishes that will be deep fried. The deep
fried breaded crispy skin and brittle fins is a delicacy. Only a few
fish, mostly flat fish, qualify to be deep fried. Do notice that
once the skin is peeled back the flesh is fresh and juicy and just as
tasty as steamed fish.

There are other methods of cooking seafood the oriental way. I am no
culinary expert and can't give a deserving description of the art.
But I sure know what's good eating.
PaPaPeng

wrote:

> [...]

order fish head (referenced to in Kill Bill 2) and you will see a
plie of bones spat out on the plate after the diner had lovingly
sucked out all the flavor and what little flesh there was. Don't be
surprised a good fish head order costs a lot more than regular fish.

Lemon juice is a no no for it completely masks the taste of fresh
seafood.

There will be some fish dishes that will be deep fried. The deep
fried breaded crispy skin and brittle fins is a delicacy. Only a few
fish, mostly flat fish, qualify to be deep fried. Do notice that
once the skin is peeled back the flesh is fresh and juicy and just as
tasty as steamed fish.

There are other methods of cooking seafood the oriental way. I am no
culinary expert and can't give a deserving description of the art.
Richard Periut

PaPaPeng wrote:
> [...]

> order fish head (referenced to in Kill Bill 2) and you will see a
> plie of bones spat out on the plate after the diner had lovingly
> sucked out all the flavor and what little flesh there was. Don't be
> surprised a good fish head order costs a lot more than regular fish.
>
> Lemon juice is a no no for it completely masks the taste of fresh
> seafood.
>
> There will be some fish dishes that will be deep fried. The deep
> fried breaded crispy skin and brittle fins is a delicacy. Only a few
> fish, mostly flat fish, qualify to be deep fried. Do notice that
> once the skin is peeled back the flesh is fresh and juicy and just as
> tasty as steamed fish.
>
> There are other methods of cooking seafood the oriental way. I am no
> culinary expert and can't give a deserving description of the art.

Yes, I have done this dish over and over and it always turns out
fantastic. The subtle nuances from the sea, pick up the nuances from the
soy sauce and herbs, and elevate it to quintessential levels.

I have also done the fish in salt dome. Pretty good, not as juicy as the
oriental methods.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Tony P.

In article >,
says...
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:15:20 -0500, Katra
> > wrote:
>

> >> One year I decided to splurge and bought a half dozen koi, priced at $12-18
> >> each. By the end of the first week there was one left, and my wife walked
> >> out to the back yard just in time to see the last one being tossed up in
> >> the air and swallowed by a Heron. I went back to stocking it with feeder
> >> fish.
> >>

> >I think I'd be having roast Heron....... ;-)
> >

> I have been to all three coasts of the US , Atlantic, Pacific and the
> Gulf. The seafood life is abundant and varied. Tuna, mackeral,
> swordfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimps, more. Fresh from the sea. Then
> what do your Americans do? Ruin perfectly good fish by roasting them
> or some other culinary disaster that leaves them dry and tasting like
> fiber roughage. Go to a good Chinese restaurant an order steamed
> fish. It will be a whole new eating experience.

Not as abundant as you might think. We just had a massive baby clam die
off in RI as well as a pretty large and stinking fish kill because the
Narragansett Bay sometimes has high levels of nutrients on which algae
dine. Once they rob the oxygen it's all over for anything that depends
on certain levels of oxygen in the water.

Not to mention we've over fished every bed. And now fisherman are
screaming about regulations. Too bad.

And while I'm on a tear, you've got the Brayton Point power station
pumping warm water into Mount Hope Bay.... cold water fish don't like
this and so vacate the area.

Musashi

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message =
>=20
> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote =

in
> message nk.net...

> supposedly
> > has

I've
> had

> spectacular.

plant it
> > came

> > > There used to be - may still be - a little restaurant in Omaha =

which
> > > specialized in carp - they boned it (!), cut the top down into =

splits
> > > (like you made a Chinese Lantern when you were a kid) - spread the
> > > splits, breaded it and fried it whole. Delicious!
> > >
> > > Around here, some people like to "jelly" it (pickled) and eat it =

like
> > > that.

> > Smoked and fried carp was almost a staple where I grew up (just =

south of
> the
> > Quad Cities and a few miles from the Mississipi). It's considered a

> "dirty"
> > fish, as it's a scavenger and will eat most anything (catfish is =

another
> > such animal). To clean them up a bit the carp were put into big =

tanks of
> > fresh water at the fish market and fed some cornmeal for a few days, =

This
> > "sweetened" them up a bit and they'd purge some of their accumulated

> gunk...
> >
> > Smoked carp is delicious, a real delicacy (few bones, mostly =

cartilage).
> At
> > that time (60's - 70's) where I grew up it was dirt - cheap, =

too...carp
> grew
> > to HUGE proportions. I remember somebody snagging one that was =

almost
> five
> > feet long...
> >
> > And if you want so see an oogli fish, try looking at a garfish if =

you dare
> > :-)
> >
> > --
> > Best
> > Greg
> >

>=20
> Has anyone seen an Israeli carp? My dad used to bring them home from =

his
> drinking/fishing escapades. Sort of a cross between a catfish and a =

carp to
> look at it....grew to some pretty large sizes too. He would skin =

them like
> catfish as they had both scales and skin (like both fish types) and =

bread it
> with cornmeal and fry it.
>=20

Israeli Carp is one of the names used to describe a common carp in it's
leather or mirror carp forms.=20
Because of it's missing scales and that smooth look, yes it does look a =
bit like
a catfish, especially with the barbels.

> I grew up on the PeeDee River in NC right next to Blewitt Falls Dam =

(yes
> that is the CORRECT name of the river and the falls). They used to =

pull
> some hellacious cats out of the river there. Ft. Bragg lost a =

helicopter
> in the river once....they retrieved the chopper but not the bodies, =

said the
> cats got'em. They used to post pictures in the local rag.....an 8' =

cat was
> not unusual.
> -Ginny
>=20

In the US there are no catfish that reach 8 feet in length, and tales of =
monster catfish
abound as urban legends. The largest US catfish the Blue Cat does not =
reach that kind
of size. However, in Europe, Russia, Central Asia there is the Wels =
catfish which does
reach lengths in excess of 10 feet. One well documented one ate a =
swimming dachsund in
Germany. However there are no verified reports of Catfish eating humans =
whether alive
or dead, although the probability of the latter certainy exists.
http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/catfish.htm

Musashi

"PaPaPeng" > wrote in message =
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:13:59 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:
>=20
> >PaPaPeng wrote:
> >
> >> I have been to all three coasts of the US , Atlantic, Pacific and =

the
> >> Gulf. The seafood life is abundant and varied. Tuna, mackeral,
> >> swordfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimps, more. Fresh from the sea. =

Then
> >> what do your Americans do? Ruin perfectly good fish by roasting =

them
> >> or some other culinary disaster that leaves them dry and tasting =

like
> >> fiber roughage. Go to a good Chinese restaurant an order steamed
> >> fish. It will be a whole new eating experience.

> >Oh, steamed fish!!! WHERE, oh WHERE do I sign. Yuck.
> >
> >nancy

>=20
>=20
> The Oriental method (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc.) of cooking
> seafood

Excuse me, you know I have a problem with you using the term "we =
orientals" as
if you speak for people outside of your own ethnic group.
Frankly I have my doubts that you are "oriental" at all.
The approach to fish in China (where of course it makes a big difference =
if we are
talking about inland or near the coasts) and in Japan are really =
entirely different.

> is to preserve its freshness and natural body juices that
> roasting and frying will destroy.

As in crispy rockfish?
Or anago tenpura?

> The cooking time for fish is
> critical and extremely short. The fish is done as soon as the flesh
> turns white. The smooth texture and distinctive flavor of almost raw
> flesh is preserved.

Not when cooked. It's a completely different taste experiemce even with
the same fish.

> Raw fish is a delicacy. But this needs fish that
> is very, very fresh and therefore only specialty restaurants serve
> them.

In Japan fish designated for raw consumption are sold in Supermarkets.

> The best dishes use fresh seafood that has never been frozen as
> freezing breaks the cells to let out the meat juices.

Did you know that US Law requires all fish that is to be served in raw =
form
requires prior freezing?
Are you aware that over 90% of the Tuna that is sold in Japan are fish =
caught far away
and flash frozen?

> Really fresh
> seafood doesn' t smell or taste of stale fish, a past best by date
> condition we orientals distinctly dislike. =20

Like others don't?

>Anything more than a few
> days old will start smelling and tasting fishy. We toss those out or
> disguise the taste some other way. =20

Anything past the second day generally gets the "for cooking" label.
Anything that "smells and tastes fishy" is tossed out. Once fish reach
that point you can't disguise it easily.

> We will never dream of roasting or baking fresh fish as it overcooks
> it and dry out the flesh turning the flesh tasteless, tough, rough and
> fibrous to the tongue.=20
>=20

No we bake roast and bake fish as well as grill them more often than eat =
it in raw form
in Japan. The trick is the timing. That's all.

> We steam our fresh fish in soy sauce with a hint of shortening and
> garnish it with ginger and onion sprouts to take out what little fishy
> taste there is. Steaming allows the flavor of the light sauce to
> permeate right into the flesh and the flesh just melts in your mouth.
> Delicious. Heavenly.

Steamed whole fish served with thin sliced scallions and a light ginger =
soy based
sauce is a CHINESE favorite everywhere in the world. Because the =
original Rockfish
is not available, the Chinese restaurants in Japan use farmed Tai (Sea =
Bream), in
the UK they use European Sea Bass, in the Northeast US they use the =
Black Seabass,
all of which have a light white subtle flavored flesh.

> Soft smooth tasty meat that melts right in you
> mouth. Because it is soft and melts in you mouth its very easy to
> seperate even the smallest bones from the flesh buy sucking at the
> morsel in your mouth. Sucking to separate the bones from carp is
> child's play. Spit out the bones.

Japanese do not eat carp in general. One needs to go to a specialty =
restaurant
to enjoy that.

> Wait till you see a Chinese party
> order fish head (referenced to in Kill Bill 2)

An incredibly stupid movie that few if any real "orientals" would bother =
watching.

> and you will see a
> plie of bones spat out on the plate after the diner had lovingly
> sucked out all the flavor and what little flesh there was. Don't be
> surprised a good fish head order costs a lot more than regular fish.
>=20
> Lemon juice is a no no for it completely masks the taste of fresh
> seafood.=20

Yet in Japan we have Ponzu.
=20
> There will be some fish dishes that will be deep fried. The deep
> fried breaded crispy skin and brittle fins is a delicacy. Only a few
> fish, mostly flat fish, qualify to be deep fried. Do notice that
> once the skin is peeled back the flesh is fresh and juicy and just as
> tasty as steamed fish.
>=20
> There are other methods of cooking seafood the oriental way. I am no
> culinary expert and can't give a deserving description of the art.
> But I sure know what's good eating.

There is no one "Oriental way" of cooking Fish, or anything.

Nancy Dooley

> I grew up on the PeeDee River in NC right next to Blewitt Falls Dam (yes
> that is the CORRECT name of the river and the falls). They used to pull
> some hellacious cats out of the river there. Ft. Bragg lost a helicopter
> in the river once....they retrieved the chopper but not the bodies, said the
> cats got'em. They used to post pictures in the local rag.....an 8' cat was
> not unusual.
> -Ginny

My youngest caught one a couple years ago in the Iowa River - he's
6'1", and as he held it up to his chest, the tail was on the ground.
He put it in his truck bed to show it off to his friends (and me) and
then turned it loose. It swam away - no problem. We couldn't find a
scale, but we guessed it was about 45-50 pounds. Not good eating, for
sure.

N.
Nancy Dooley

> I grew up on the PeeDee River in NC right next to Blewitt Falls Dam (yes
> that is the CORRECT name of the river and the falls). They used to pull
> some hellacious cats out of the river there. Ft. Bragg lost a helicopter
> in the river once....they retrieved the chopper but not the bodies, said the
> cats got'em. They used to post pictures in the local rag.....an 8' cat was
> not unusual.
> -Ginny

My youngest caught one a couple years ago in the Iowa River - he's
6'1", and as he held it up to his chest, the tail was on the ground.
He put it in his truck bed to show it off to his friends (and me) and
then turned it loose. It swam away - no problem. We couldn't find a
scale, but we guessed it was about 45-50 pounds. Not good eating, for
sure.

N.
CaptCook

"Nancy Dooley" wrote ...
> My youngest caught one a couple years ago in the Iowa River - he's
> 6'1", and as he held it up to his chest, the tail was on the ground.
> He put it in his truck bed to show it off to his friends (and me)

and
> then turned it loose. It swam away - no problem. We couldn't find

> scale, but we guessed it was about 45-50 pounds. Not good eating,

for
> sure.

The state fishing records should tell maximum sizes. Around Iowa City
there was a 86 pound (as I remember it) flathead caught about 1960s.
Bigger ones around Guttenberg in the Mississippi.

PaPaPeng

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:17:00 GMT, "Musashi" >
wrote:

>There is no one "Oriental way" of cooking Fish, or anything.

I concede that your details of Japanese way of cooking fish is way
more knowledgeable than mine. The fish I get to eat in Japanese
restaurants is little more than finger food sized appetizers. For
some reason the little dishes with any form of meat that is minimally
garnished is priced sky high. Its just too expensive to have a full
meal and I am a hearty eater. I visit Japanese reataurants perhaps
once or twice a year and only because a guest wants to.

I don't get raw fish dishes in my city. In the old days when I lived
in the East I would love to order this dish and it was around this
time of the year, the Mooncake Festival, when restaurants serve raw
fish slices. The best fish for this is barracuda or some fish that
looks like it. The other fish used is carp but I would be leary of
ordering that as carp is a fresh water fish capable of harboring
parasites harmful to humans if not properly cooked.

As for fish we bought for the home, these are kept fresh with ice,
never the frozen solid kind. Go to any chinatown seafood grocery shop
in North America. The most desirable and expensive fish and shellfish
are kept alive in tanks. Then comes the iced ones. Solid frozen ones
nobody really wants. When I moved to Canada I once saw a delicious
looking Pomfret (a compressed bodied torpical China Sea fish) in a
freezer. Bought that and thawed it. The flesh turned mushy and it
reallly smelled because it was not gutted and cleaned before freezing.
What a waste of a good fish for want of basic pre-preparation when
caught. After a few such experiences with frozen whole fish I never
bought frozen fish except as fillets. In any case if I want gourmet
seafood I go to a restaurant as the cook is a professional chef. My
cooking skills are minimal and I live alone not to care to spend much
time home cooking. I don't want exotic cooking smells in my home
anyway.

You mentioned past two day old fish as highly undesirable. Exactly
and that's why fish is always brought fresh and cooked immediately.
However on occasion one will have kept fish longer than desirable.
The way to disguise the lack of freshness is to deep fry it or
otherwise cook it thick sauce with gourds or okra, or cook it in
curry. I don't think Japanese tastes are into curry.

And yup. Japanese cooking must be quite distinctive from other Asian
cusines. I wouldn't know since I haven't tried any Japanese home
cooking. The teeny bland Japanese restaurant stuff we all know is
probably not representative of the richness of real Japanese cooking.

As for Vietnamese cooking the funny thing is that I can speak a few
southern Chinese dialects and invariably a number of the Vietnamese
restaurant staff will be ethnic Chinese from Vietnam. I had also
travelled around Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and
Malaysia-Singapore and tried their cusines as done by streetside food
stalls and the non-tourist restaurants, aka the genuine stuff. The
basic conclusion is that North American style cooking does ruin their
seafood.

Musashi

"PaPaPeng" > wrote in message =
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:17:00 GMT, "Musashi" >
> wrote:
>=20
> >There is no one "Oriental way" of cooking Fish, or anything.

>=20
>=20
>=20
> I concede that your details of Japanese way of cooking fish is way
> more knowledgeable than mine. The fish I get to eat in Japanese
> restaurants is little more than finger food sized appetizers. For
> some reason the little dishes with any form of meat that is minimally
> garnished is priced sky high. Its just too expensive to have a full
> meal and I am a hearty eater. I visit Japanese reataurants perhaps
> once or twice a year and only because a guest wants to.
>=20

I find the seafoods and cooking styles of China delicious.
And I have no doubt that the various southeast asian cuisines are =
excellent
in their own right.
But to claim that there is an "Oriental way" of cooking fish is like =
saying there
is a "European way" of cooking fish.
Can we lump a Boulliabaise from Marseille together with Pickled raw =
Herring
from Amsterdam to smoked Atlantic needlefish from Sweden, to a whole =
Monkfish
in tomato sauce from Italy, to a whole grilled Sea Bream from Greece =
served with=20
Olive oil, lemon and Oregano sauce? Have you ever tasted a smoked eel =
from
Germany?
Assuming that you are in the US, I would agree with you that in general
good Japanese restaurants tend to be expensive.

> I don't get raw fish dishes in my city. In the old days when I lived
> in the East I would love to order this dish and it was around this
> time of the year, the Mooncake Festival, when restaurants serve raw
> fish slices.

This must be a Chinese tradition?
We have geppei (moon-mochi(rice cake)) also but there is no connection
with raw fish at all.

> The best fish for this is barracuda or some fish that
> looks like it. The other fish used is carp but I would be leary of
> ordering that as carp is a fresh water fish capable of harboring
> parasites harmful to humans if not properly cooked.
>=20

Must be the small pacific barracuda, which is eaten dried and grilled in =
Japan, not
usually in raw form. The big Great Barracuda of the Atlantic and =
Caribbean are usually
not eaten for fear of ciguatera poisoning.
What you say about raw carp is absolutely correct, however we do have a =
dish that
is Carp sashimi. But the thin slices are dropped into very hot water for =
a moment then
quickly into ice water to chill. This style of preparing sashimi is =
called "arai".
It weakens any possible parasites so that they can not be harmful to =
humans.
One must go to a specialty restaurant to eat this.

> As for fish we bought for the home, these are kept fresh with ice,
> never the frozen solid kind. Go to any chinatown seafood grocery shop
> in North America. The most desirable and expensive fish and shellfish
> are kept alive in tanks.

This is true. While the keeping of fish alive is a very good practice, I =
have seen plenty of
dirty fish tanks, especially in Chinatown. Some with dead or sick fish =
still in the tanks
with the healthy ones. The fish tanks in Chinese stores in the suburbs =
however are almost always
quite clean.

> Then comes the iced ones. Solid frozen ones
> nobody really wants. When I moved to Canada I once saw a delicious
> looking Pomfret (a compressed bodied torpical China Sea fish) in a
> freezer. Bought that and thawed it. The flesh turned mushy and it
> reallly smelled because it was not gutted and cleaned before freezing.
> What a waste of a good fish for want of basic pre-preparation when
> caught. =20

That is an example of poor handling. And poor handling can destroy any =
fish
whether it is to be sold fresh or frozen.

>After a few such experiences with frozen whole fish I never
> bought frozen fish except as fillets. In any case if I want gourmet
> seafood I go to a restaurant as the cook is a professional chef. My
> cooking skills are minimal and I live alone not to care to spend much
> time home cooking. I don't want exotic cooking smells in my home
> anyway.
>=20
> You mentioned past two day old fish as highly undesirable. Exactly
> and that's why fish is always brought fresh and cooked immediately.
> However on occasion one will have kept fish longer than desirable.
> The way to disguise the lack of freshness is to deep fry it or
> otherwise cook it thick sauce with gourds or okra, or cook it in
> curry. I don't think Japanese tastes are into curry.

Actually, Japanese eat alot of curry. Called Karee-Raisu (curry rice) it =
was introduced
from England in the very early 1900s and a very popular food in Japan. =
However it
is usually Beef or Pork. Curry flavoring rather than the roux is =
sometimes used on panfried fish.
=20
> And yup. Japanese cooking must be quite distinctive from other Asian
> cusines. I wouldn't know since I haven't tried any Japanese home
> cooking. The teeny bland Japanese restaurant stuff we all know is
> probably not representative of the richness of real Japanese cooking.

Japanese cooking is distinctive because of the use of Dashi, a stock =
which is a common
denominator in most Japanese cooking, and the emphasis on a wide variety =
of seafood
and the practice of eating nama-mono (raw things).
What Japanese cooking does not have is the rather complex flavorings, =
and the very
strong use of pork and shrimp that is found in Chinese cooking.

> As for Vietnamese cooking the funny thing is that I can speak a few
> southern Chinese dialects and invariably a number of the Vietnamese
> restaurant staff will be ethnic Chinese from Vietnam. I had also
> travelled around Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and
> Malaysia-Singapore and tried their cusines as done by streetside food
> stalls and the non-tourist restaurants, aka the genuine stuff. The
> basic conclusion is that North American style cooking does ruin their
> seafood.

I do agree with that as a general statement. The vast majority of =
America prefers
a fried filet of white meat fish, and the less it tastes anything like =
fish, the better.
However, I find that the New England area has seafoods that are =
remarkable good.
First the American lobster, not found in the pacific. A taste distinct =
from the spiny lobsters
we know. Next, the practice of eating raw clams, the quahogs. This is a =
unique taste even
to an addicted sashimi & sushi eater like myself. Not to mention the =
varieties of oysters
that are eaten raw. Further south, the practice of eating soft-shelled =
crabs! Every Japanese
person that I have introduced to this wonderful seasonal dish has been =
stunned, since we
eat alot of crab in Japan but all in hard shell form. I suspect that the =
US pacific, from
California up to Washington, as well as the Gulf (New Orleans) also have =
distinct=20
seafoods.

Musashi

zxcvbob

CaptCook wrote:
> "Nancy Dooley" wrote ...
>
>>My youngest caught one a couple years ago in the Iowa River - he's
>>6'1", and as he held it up to his chest, the tail was on the ground.
>>He put it in his truck bed to show it off to his friends (and me)

> and
>
>>then turned it loose. It swam away - no problem. We couldn't find

>>scale, but we guessed it was about 45-50 pounds. Not good eating,

> for
>
>>sure.

> The state fishing records should tell maximum sizes. Around Iowa City
> there was a 86 pound (as I remember it) flathead caught about 1960s.
> Bigger ones around Guttenberg in the Mississippi.

The record in Texas is 121 pounds for a blue cat. I'd guess it was
caught near the dam at Lake Livingston because the conditions there are
ideal. You can assume there are larger ones down there, but probably
not much larger. Certainly not as big as a car (although I heard
stories of such when I lived there)

Bob
CoastWatcher

Totally Agree!!

PaPaPeng wrote:
> [...]

> order fish head (referenced to in Kill Bill 2) and you will see a
> plie of bones spat out on the plate after the diner had lovingly
> sucked out all the flavor and what little flesh there was. Don't be
> surprised a good fish head order costs a lot more than regular fish.
>
> Lemon juice is a no no for it completely masks the taste of fresh
> seafood.
>
> There will be some fish dishes that will be deep fried. The deep
> fried breaded crispy skin and brittle fins is a delicacy. Only a few
> fish, mostly flat fish, qualify to be deep fried. Do notice that
> once the skin is peeled back the flesh is fresh and juicy and just as
> tasty as steamed fish.
>
> There are other methods of cooking seafood the oriental way. I am no
> culinary expert and can't give a deserving description of the art.

CoastWatcher

Totally Agree!!