Old 24-09-2004, 05:10 PM
nut

Default can you eat carp, that uglyass fish?

i see people fishing for carp in some ponds.

carp is a big fat uglyass fish. it doesn't look all that appetizing.

can you eat that carp or crap?

how do you prepare it? what's it taste like?

Old 24-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Musashi

"nut" wrote in message =
m...
i see people fishing for carp in some ponds.=20
=20
carp is a big fat uglyass fish. it doesn't look all that appetizing. =

=20
can you eat that carp or crap? =20
=20
how do you prepare it? what's it taste like?

Yes Carp can and is eaten all over the world. Even farm raised for the =
purpose of eating.
In Japan while "some" carp is eaten, most of the fish eaten are =
sal****er so
you won't see it too often.
In China, particularly inland, carp is a very important food fish. They =
fry up
the whole fish crispy then pour a brown sauce over it.
Israel has been farm raising Carp for decades. Hungarians make a baked =
carp with paprika.
Anyone from Germany to the Eastern European countries knows Carp as a
food fish. Carp is an important ingredient in the Jewish "Gefilite =
Fish".
Once I was fishing and landed a carp..maybe 10 lbs. Some guy came up to =
me and asked
me if he could have it. Naturally I gave it to him. I asked him where he =
was from as he
had an accent and he said "Yugoslavia".
Some delicatessens that carry a wide variety of smoked fish sometimes =
carry
"sable". This is smoked carp.
Carp tend to taste muddy.Some people keep a carp alive in a tub for a =
couple of days in the hopes of getting the "muddyness" out. =
Others,especially Europeans say to eat only Winter Carp cause
they dont pick up the the muddy smell.
I tried Carp once. Simply panfried. Tasted like a boring nondescript =
"fish".
I suppose if I were starving it might taste good.
If I ever try it again I think I will smoke it.

Old 24-09-2004, 05:41 PM
PeterL

"nut" wrote in message
m...
i see people fishing for carp in some ponds.

carp is a big fat uglyass fish. it doesn't look all that appetizing.

can you eat that carp or crap?

Yes but there are much better options.

how do you prepare it? what's it taste like?

Old 24-09-2004, 05:41 PM
anko eater

"Musashi" wrote in message
om...

"nut" wrote in message
[...]

Try Funazushi of Oumi once. It's often an awful food for many Japanese, but
the funny thing is, many Europeans seem to like it because they are used to
the smell of cheese.

Old 24-09-2004, 05:51 PM
anko eater

"nut" wrote in message
m...
i see people fishing for carp in some ponds.

carp is a big fat uglyass fish. it doesn't look all that appetizing.

can you eat that carp or crap?

how do you prepare it? what's it taste like?

I don't eat carp. I like broiled mackerel and salmon sashimi best.

Old 24-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Musashi

"anko eater" wrote in message =
=20
"Musashi" wrote in message
om...
=20
"nut" wrote in message
[...]

Funazushi is famous for it's stinkiness. But funa (=1B$BJ+!K=1B(Bis =
Crucian Carp
while the poster I am sure is talking about Regular Carp =
(=1B$B8q!K!#=1B(B

Old 24-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Musashi

"anko eater" wrote in message =
=20
"nut" wrote in message
m...
i see people fishing for carp in some ponds.

carp is a big fat uglyass fish. it doesn't look all that =

appetizing.

can you eat that carp or crap?

how do you prepare it? what's it taste like?

=20
I don't eat carp. I like broiled mackerel and salmon sashimi best.
=20

You might be eating mackerel imported from Norway, and
salmon imported from Canada.

Old 24-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Dave Smith

nut wrote:

i see people fishing for carp in some ponds.

carp is a big fat uglyass fish. it doesn't look all that appetizing.

can you eat that carp or crap?

how do you prepare it? what's it taste like?

Carp is very popular in some cultures. Apparently you have to take
great care to bone it.