Mary Jo Oliver

Default pork loin

The supermarket had porkloin roasts on sale so i bought one..but now i have
no idea what to do with it since it is huge.. about 5 pounds. The problem
is; my husband put it in the freezer and i had planned on cutting it in half
and keeping half for a roast and the other for chops..does anyone have any
ideas now that i am stuck with this 5 pound roast?

Mikko Peltoniemi

Mary Jo Oliver wrote:

> is; my husband put it in the freezer and i had planned on cutting it in half
> and keeping half for a roast and the other for chops..does anyone have any
> ideas now that i am stuck with this 5 pound roast?

You can still cut it. Use a hacksaw (a clean one, of course!), it'll cut
right through the frozen meat.

--
Mikko Peltoniemi
Film & Video Editor, Avid Technician at large.
Mikko Peltoniemi

Mary Jo Oliver wrote:

> is; my husband put it in the freezer and i had planned on cutting it in half
> and keeping half for a roast and the other for chops..does anyone have any
> ideas now that i am stuck with this 5 pound roast?

You can still cut it. Use a hacksaw (a clean one, of course!), it'll cut
right through the frozen meat.

--
Mikko Peltoniemi
Film & Video Editor, Avid Technician at large.
http://editor.is.dreaming.org
PENMART01

> "Mary Jo Oliver"
>
>The supermarket had porkloin roasts on sale so i bought one..but now i have
>no idea what to do with it since it is huge.. about 5 pounds. The problem
>is; my husband put it in the freezer and i had planned on cutting it in half
>and keeping half for a roast and the other for chops..does anyone have any
>ideas now that i am stuck with this 5 pound roast?

If it's the center cut with bones then it's not all that large a roast, in fact
it's just right, that's why the butchers cut them that size. There are more
ways to cook a pork loin roast than your PC has capacity to list them all. Why
don't you simply prepare it the exact same way you had in mind to prepare it
had you the opportunity to halve it before your husband froze it, and thank
him, because had you cut it in half the resulting portions would really have
been too small to use as roasts.

So, now tell us, how were you going to prepare your roast had you gotten to
halve it before your husband changed your world?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> "Mary Jo Oliver"
>
>The supermarket had porkloin roasts on sale so i bought one..but now i have
>no idea what to do with it since it is huge.. about 5 pounds. The problem
>is; my husband put it in the freezer and i had planned on cutting it in half
>and keeping half for a roast and the other for chops..does anyone have any
>ideas now that i am stuck with this 5 pound roast?

If it's the center cut with bones then it's not all that large a roast, in fact
it's just right, that's why the butchers cut them that size. There are more
ways to cook a pork loin roast than your PC has capacity to list them all. Why
don't you simply prepare it the exact same way you had in mind to prepare it
had you the opportunity to halve it before your husband froze it, and thank
him, because had you cut it in half the resulting portions would really have
been too small to use as roasts.

So, now tell us, how were you going to prepare your roast had you gotten to
halve it before your husband changed your world?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Golem_Head

"Mary Jo Oliver" > wrote in message
> The supermarket had porkloin roasts on sale so i bought one..but now i

have
> no idea what to do with it since it is huge.. about 5 pounds. The problem
> is; my husband put it in the freezer and i had planned on cutting it in

half
> and keeping half for a roast and the other for chops..does anyone have any
> ideas now that i am stuck with this 5 pound roast?

During a good sale, I usually buy 6-7 boneless roasts and freeze them just
until they're a bit hard, but not frozen all the way through. At that point
I slice them into 1/2" thick slices (just like the pre-cut pork chops you
buy in the store) or cut them into cubes or strips and freeze for later use.
It helps if you have a big freezer. I typically store the cubes/strips in
small plastic containers; the chops I wrap in saran wrap, about 2 pieces at
a time.

I typically pan-fry the pork chops. The cubes/strips are mainly used for
stir fries, fried rice or stew. The nice thing about pre-cutting the roast
is that it saves you time when you're in a hurry to make dinner after a long
day at work =)

Enjoy,
GH

Golem_Head

"Mary Jo Oliver" > wrote in message
> The supermarket had porkloin roasts on sale so i bought one..but now i

have
> no idea what to do with it since it is huge.. about 5 pounds. The problem
> is; my husband put it in the freezer and i had planned on cutting it in

half
> and keeping half for a roast and the other for chops..does anyone have any
> ideas now that i am stuck with this 5 pound roast?

During a good sale, I usually buy 6-7 boneless roasts and freeze them just
until they're a bit hard, but not frozen all the way through. At that point
I slice them into 1/2" thick slices (just like the pre-cut pork chops you
buy in the store) or cut them into cubes or strips and freeze for later use.
It helps if you have a big freezer. I typically store the cubes/strips in
small plastic containers; the chops I wrap in saran wrap, about 2 pieces at
a time.

I typically pan-fry the pork chops. The cubes/strips are mainly used for
stir fries, fried rice or stew. The nice thing about pre-cutting the roast
is that it saves you time when you're in a hurry to make dinner after a long
day at work =)

Enjoy,
GH

Golem_Head

"Mary Jo Oliver" > wrote in message
> The supermarket had porkloin roasts on sale so i bought one..but now i

have
> no idea what to do with it since it is huge.. about 5 pounds. The problem
> is; my husband put it in the freezer and i had planned on cutting it in

half
> and keeping half for a roast and the other for chops..does anyone have any
> ideas now that i am stuck with this 5 pound roast?

During a good sale, I usually buy 6-7 boneless roasts and freeze them just
until they're a bit hard, but not frozen all the way through. At that point
I slice them into 1/2" thick slices (just like the pre-cut pork chops you
buy in the store) or cut them into cubes or strips and freeze for later use.
It helps if you have a big freezer. I typically store the cubes/strips in
small plastic containers; the chops I wrap in saran wrap, about 2 pieces at
a time.

I typically pan-fry the pork chops. The cubes/strips are mainly used for
stir fries, fried rice or stew. The nice thing about pre-cutting the roast
is that it saves you time when you're in a hurry to make dinner after a long
day at work =)

Enjoy,
GH

Dean G.

"Mary Jo Oliver" > wrote in message
> The supermarket had porkloin roasts on sale so i bought one..but now i

have
> no idea what to do with it since it is huge.. about 5 pounds. The problem
> is; my husband put it in the freezer and i had planned on cutting it in

half
> and keeping half for a roast and the other for chops..does anyone have any
> ideas now that i am stuck with this 5 pound roast?

I usually get the butcher to butterfly it for me. Not too difficult if it
doesn't have the bones, but otherwise....

Anyways, I like to stuff the butterflied loin with garlic, herbs (fresh
celery leaves, fresh parsley, and a bit of sage), and possibly nuts (pine
nuts and walnuts are both good) and even cheese (usually a hard Italian
cheese like Fontinella or Asiago. Feta is fine as well.) Roll it up and tie
it together. Cook until the meat is done and slice. The possible variations
are nearly endless. It cooks faster than you may expect, so keep an eye on
it.

Dean G.

Dean G.