Old 25-11-2005, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
kalanamak

Default What have been your funniest or worst restaurant experiencesso far?

Rob wrote:
Irrespective of the location, what have been your worst or funniest
restaurant experiences you've had so far - as in the food and service
both being extremely terrible, or being very good, but something else
occurred.

I worked with a complete clown for awhile. Drained the deepfat frier of
HOT oil into plastic, which started to melt poured in water which steam
up and splattered the oil about.
Had his chef's hat sucked up in to the fan while cleaning the vent and
ruined the fan...we couldn't use the griddle all day.
Put fake maple syrup instead of oil in the deepfat frier and customers
complained of sticky frenchfries.
Etc.

Old 26-11-2005, 01:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

There was the time my husband and I tried a quaint little restaurant near
our home we'd passed by for years. We came right after they had closed
after lunch to get ready for dinner. They hadn't locked the door and we
didn't know. The gal was SO friendly and said come on in and sit. We said
that was OK we'd come back. She insisted we stay so we did. She gave us
menus and went into the kitchen. Arguing commenced in the kitchen. We
couldn't hear what it was about. She came out with a smile on her face with
our waters. She was just as friendly as can be. She went back to the
kitchen and the heated arguing between her and the man started again. Four
letter words a flying, loud yelling, it was so boisterous we though maybe
knives could start flying. We started to get up to leave as she came back
out... smiling again. We said we didn't want to cause any problems and she
insisted we stay and took our orders. She went back into the kitchen...
again heated arguing, cuss words a flying, both party's holding their own in
the arguement. By now it was comical and my husband and I started thinking
we were on Candid Camera or something. Out she came with our food. It was
great. There was some more minor arguing, and they took our money and we
left. We never went back, but we chuckle about it every now and then.

Lynne

oups.com...

Old 26-11-2005, 02:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article .com,
"Rob" wrote:

Irrespective of the location, what have been your worst or funniest
restaurant experiences you've had so far - as in the food and service
both being extremely terrible, or being very good, but something else
occurred.

How about just plain strange?

We went to Death Valley, once, in August. *Nobody* goes to Death
Valley, especially camping, and in a car with no air conditioning, that
time of year. We were just passing through. We slept on top of our
sleeping bags. We went to the visitor's center in the morning, and then
headed out of there. I had made a huge thing of lemonade, with ice. We
drank the whole thing.

We got out of the valley, and it cooled down a little bit. It was lunch
time, so we stopped in Panamint at a little restaurant. It was
completely deserted. There appeared to be one employee, and he was
bored to tears. We didn't get menus, so we asked for them. He said
just forget about it, order whatever we wanted. We weren't too
comfortable about that, and ordered really simple stuff, like a BLT and
a hamburger. He looked disappointed. It was good, and dirt cheap.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Old 26-11-2005, 02:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Rob wrote:

Irrespective of the location, what have been your worst or funniest
restaurant experiences you've had so far - as in the food and service
both being extremely terrible, or being very good, but something else
occurred.

Mine was in a local Chinese restaurant. There was an argument going on in
the kitchen. It started off with some yelling and screaming and got
progressively louder until there was the sound of pots and pans being
thrown around. The matron of the restaurant went in and yelled and
screamed at the kitchen staff. Things were quiet for a few minutes, but
then it started up again. The old Mama went in and yelled and screamed
and things got quiet. Then it started up a third time. Luckily, we were
finished our meal and got out.

Old 26-11-2005, 02:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Rob wrote:
Irrespective of the location, what have been your worst or funniest
restaurant experiences you've had so far - as in the food and service
both being extremely terrible, or being very good, but something else
occurred.

This was only a good time, but I thought it was pretty cool.

A couple years ago my ex's family brought everyone down to disney world for a
week. For the most part we all went our separate ways during the week, but on
the last day we all had dinner together at the buffet restaurant at the
wilderness lodge place at animal kingdom (i forget what it was called).

My ex has a number of food issues, no meat, no sugar, no starch, most fresh
veggies are out. She was having a hard time at the buffet finding things she
could eat. She began asking what was in various dishes so she could pick
things that would not make her sick. Finally, the chef came out to talk to her
and told her to sit down, he'd put something together for her. She protested,
knowing that her issues were her own.

he said "look at my uniform! It's clean! I hate that, I'm here to cook"

She sat down and he proceeded to bring her appetizers, salad, soup, entree and
dessert all one after the other. The presentation was beyond spectacular, it
was beautiful, and the food was some of the best I'd ever eaten.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Old 26-11-2005, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Rob wrote:
Irrespective of the location, what have been your worst or funniest
restaurant experiences you've had so far - as in the food and service
both being extremely terrible, or being very good, but something else
occurred.

I don't want people throwing rolls at me. I'd also like to have my order
taken within 10 minutes of sitting down after the drinks have been
delivered.

Jill

Old 26-11-2005, 03:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

oh also, once David and I were in chinatown in chicago and we stopped for a
late lunch, it was probably after two. The restaurant we chose had hours
posted and they were definitely open (lots of places closed between lunch and
dinner).

We went in and at first we were unsure if they wanted us there but they
brought menus and water so we ordered. David ordered the watercress and bean
curd. The first thing they brought him was some sort of steamed iceberg
lettuce with sauce. He explained that this was not what he orderd and tried to
reorder.

The next thing she brought him was a plate of sauteed watercress with garlic.
No sauce, no bean curd. we decided to just let it go and he had some of my
food. As he was eating he found the rubber band that held the bunch of
watercress together. They hadn't even bothered to unbind it before cooking.
They spent the entire meal glaring at us from their table as they were trying
to eat.

I felt bad that we had messed up their schedule but I figure they got their
revenge in their surly attitudes and all was even in the world.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Old 26-11-2005, 03:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
TFM®

The Bubbo wrote:

..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Great blog (or whatever)

You have a way with words.

TFM®
Old 26-11-2005, 03:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

TFM® wrote:
The Bubbo wrote:

.:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Great blog (or whatever)

You have a way with words.

TFM®

thanks, I appreciate that.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Old 26-11-2005, 03:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Rusty

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:42:15 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

Rob wrote:

Irrespective of the location, what have been your worst or funniest
restaurant experiences you've had so far - as in the food and service
both being extremely terrible, or being very good, but something else
occurred.

Mine was in a local Chinese restaurant. There was an argument going on in
the kitchen. It started off with some yelling and screaming and got
progressively louder until there was the sound of pots and pans being
thrown around. The matron of the restaurant went in and yelled and
screamed at the kitchen staff. Things were quiet for a few minutes, but
then it started up again. The old Mama went in and yelled and screamed
and things got quiet. Then it started up a third time. Luckily, we were
finished our meal and got out.

Our experience was also in a small local Chinese restaurant.

About three years ago, my wife and I had just moved to Sacramento from
San Jose and we missed our favorite Chinese restaurants in the Bay
Area. Near our home, we noticed a small Chinese restaurant in a strip
mall. The prices were fairly cheap. We went in and ordered the normal
things, (hot and sour soup, kung pao chicken, vegetables etc.). The
food came and it was quite greasy. The vegetables were limp and mushy
and not good at all. Neither one of us finished our food. We just paid
for the meal and left, not intending to ever return.

About a week later I was reading the local newspaper. There was a
story about that local Chinese restaurant being shut down by the
health department. It seems the owners were getting their vegetables
from the large chain supermarket in the same mall. What's wrong with
that you ask? Nothing if they had purchased them, but they were
observed by the health department investigators digging them out of
the supermarket trash behind the store.

Yuk!!!!

-Rusty, Sacramento, CA
Old 26-11-2005, 04:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Huebner

In article .com, rt800
@joinme.com says...
Irrespective of the location, what have been your worst or funniest
restaurant experiences you've had so far - as in the food and service
both being extremely terrible, or being very good, but something else
occurred.

Our neighbours took us out for a thank-you dinner recently (they'd had a dog
attack, lots of killed and maimed sheep, he had to go away and we helped his
partner cope with the carnage) - anyway, they took us to the recently renovated
and renamed 'Copthorne' hotel & restaurant near by.
Talk about pre-****ing-tentious. Oh, it was all made up very swish, a reception
with uniformed receptionists who checked the bookings (for an empty restaurant)
.... the waiter came across like a 17 year old schoolgirl with no previous
waiting experience. /flute "Not a problem!" /flute off every time somebody
addressed her - by mid evening this got extremely annoying. Orders for drinks
that didn't arrive without asking several times -- in an empty restaurant, in
which one other party had arrived meanwhile.
The food was not bad, I'll give them that, my eye fillet was tender and the
sauce was marvellous, but NO side dishes included with that (you gotta be
kidding) so you had to order potatoes extra, vegetables extra, salad extra
"Not a problem!" "Not a problem!" "Not a problem!" groan. Magnifying glass
extra, did I mention you could well've done with a magnifying glass. Nor for
the check, though, the figures on that were very large indeed. I'm just glad I
didn't have to foot the bill, I would've 'spat the dummy' as the saying here
goes ... all packaging and little content.

-P.

Old 26-11-2005, 11:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Rob wrote:
Irrespective of the location, what have been your worst or funniest
restaurant experiences you've had so far - as in the food and service
both being extremely terrible, or being very good, but something else
occurred.

I have one which occurred while *working* at a restaurant. First of all,
don't attempt to fool someone if you don't know how things work at the back
of the house.

Drink glasses (excepting bar glasses) go into the commercial dishwasher rack
open side down. So don't you dare try to tell me there's a screw in your
iced tea when gravity and the freshly washed glasses says there's no way a
screw got into your glass.

She demanded to speak to the manager, wanted her meal comp'd. He told her
the same thing I did... sorry lady, there was no screw in the glass when the
iced tea was brought to the table. Even if the dishwasher was falling apart
(which it wasn't), screws don't fall UP.

Jill

Old 26-11-2005, 12:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Rusty

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 05:55:01 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Rob wrote:
[...]

Once at a Farrells Ice Cream parlor, during a birtday party, my sister
was served a Coke with a baby roach doing the backstroke among the
floating ice cubes. Needless to say that killed the party right there.

They took the Coke off the bill but charged our parents for everything
else. The place closed about a year after that. I wonder why?

Rusty
Old 26-11-2005, 01:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob

On 2005-11-26, Rusty wrote:

Once at a Farrells Ice Cream parlor, during a birtday party, my sister
was served a Coke with a baby roach doing the backstroke among the
floating ice cubes. Needless to say that killed the party right there.

Once at a Farrell's Ice Cream parlor, during a birthday party, ....my
mother and brother decided at the very last moment to not lunch there
and walked back to their car to go elsewhere. A few moments later a
F86 Sabrejet crashed into it killing 22 people. True story.

nb