Scott

Default 'tis grape season

Well, the old arbor is full of grapes--Concord grapes, that is.

Just made a batch of grape jam, and I have the pulp ready for another
batch tomorrow. I probably have at least another 5 pounds left--probably
closer to 10--so... another Concord grape pie or two. I haven't decided
which recipe I'll use for that. The biggest choices for the pie recipes
are (1) streusel topping vs. second crust (I prefer streusel), and (2)
which thickener. I'm debating going for tapioca this year--I've never
used it before. Otherwise, it's flour or cornstarch.

I came across this pie recipe:
<http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipet.cgi?r=72384&y=1>
isn't that a lot of cornstarch??

Also: grape sorbet.

Any other ideas??

please mail OT responses only
Wayne

Scott > wrote in
:

> Well, the old arbor is full of grapes--Concord grapes, that is.
>
> Just made a batch of grape jam, and I have the pulp ready for another
> batch tomorrow. I probably have at least another 5 pounds
> left--probably closer to 10--so... another Concord grape pie or two. I
> haven't decided which recipe I'll use for that. The biggest choices
> for the pie recipes are (1) streusel topping vs. second crust (I
> prefer streusel), and (2) which thickener. I'm debating going for
> tapioca this year--I've never used it before. Otherwise, it's flour or
> cornstarch.
>
> I came across this pie recipe:
> <http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipet.cgi?r=72384&y=1>
> isn't that a lot of cornstarch??

Not necessarily. Since grapes are mostly liquid, I would use not less
than 3 tablespons. 1/4 cup = 4 tablespoons.

> Also: grape sorbet.

Sounds good!

> Any other ideas??

My mom used to can grape juice that included some of the pulp, either
for drinking or for making the following dessert...

Make recipe of traditional shortcrust pie pastry. Roll out into long
rectangle, spread with butter, then sprinkle generously with sugar and a
little cinnamon. Roll up the pastry jellyroll fashion. Cut roll into
2-3 inch sections and place in a baking dish with a little space in
between pieces. Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until nicely golden
brown. Pour grape juice over rolls and bake until juice is slightly
thickened. Serve warm with ice cream or pouring cream.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Scott > wrote in
:

> Well, the old arbor is full of grapes--Concord grapes, that is.
>
> Just made a batch of grape jam, and I have the pulp ready for another
> batch tomorrow. I probably have at least another 5 pounds
> left--probably closer to 10--so... another Concord grape pie or two. I
> haven't decided which recipe I'll use for that. The biggest choices
> for the pie recipes are (1) streusel topping vs. second crust (I
> prefer streusel), and (2) which thickener. I'm debating going for
> tapioca this year--I've never used it before. Otherwise, it's flour or
> cornstarch.
>
> I came across this pie recipe:
> <http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipet.cgi?r=72384&y=1>
> isn't that a lot of cornstarch??

Not necessarily. Since grapes are mostly liquid, I would use not less
than 3 tablespons. 1/4 cup = 4 tablespoons.

> Also: grape sorbet.

Sounds good!

> Any other ideas??

My mom used to can grape juice that included some of the pulp, either
for drinking or for making the following dessert...

Make recipe of traditional shortcrust pie pastry. Roll out into long
rectangle, spread with butter, then sprinkle generously with sugar and a
little cinnamon. Roll up the pastry jellyroll fashion. Cut roll into
2-3 inch sections and place in a baking dish with a little space in
between pieces. Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until nicely golden
brown. Pour grape juice over rolls and bake until juice is slightly
thickened. Serve warm with ice cream or pouring cream.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
alzelt

Scott wrote:
> Well, the old arbor is full of grapes--Concord grapes, that is.
>
> Just made a batch of grape jam, and I have the pulp ready for another
> batch tomorrow. I probably have at least another 5 pounds left--probably
> closer to 10--so... another Concord grape pie or two. I haven't decided
> which recipe I'll use for that. The biggest choices for the pie recipes
> are (1) streusel topping vs. second crust (I prefer streusel), and (2)
> which thickener. I'm debating going for tapioca this year--I've never
> used it before. Otherwise, it's flour or cornstarch.
>
> I came across this pie recipe:
> <http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipet.cgi?r=72384&y=1>
> isn't that a lot of cornstarch??
>
> Also: grape sorbet.
>

> Any other ideas??

Tapioca flour instead. Use it as you would use cornstarch. Eat away. I
hear that colorful fruits can reduce cholesterol. Make an extra pie for
me. Wait, don't do that. I just made my last blueberry pie of the
season. (I added some rhubarb to cut down on the sweetness.)
--
Alan

"I don't think you can win the war on terror."

...George (flip-flop) Bush, 8/30/2004

alzelt

Scott wrote:
> Well, the old arbor is full of grapes--Concord grapes, that is.
>
> Just made a batch of grape jam, and I have the pulp ready for another
> batch tomorrow. I probably have at least another 5 pounds left--probably
> closer to 10--so... another Concord grape pie or two. I haven't decided
> which recipe I'll use for that. The biggest choices for the pie recipes
> are (1) streusel topping vs. second crust (I prefer streusel), and (2)
> which thickener. I'm debating going for tapioca this year--I've never
> used it before. Otherwise, it's flour or cornstarch.
>
> I came across this pie recipe:
> <http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipet.cgi?r=72384&y=1>
> isn't that a lot of cornstarch??
>
> Also: grape sorbet.
>

> Any other ideas??

Tapioca flour instead. Use it as you would use cornstarch. Eat away. I
hear that colorful fruits can reduce cholesterol. Make an extra pie for
me. Wait, don't do that. I just made my last blueberry pie of the
season. (I added some rhubarb to cut down on the sweetness.)
--
Alan

"I don't think you can win the war on terror."

...George (flip-flop) Bush, 8/30/2004

alzelt

Scott wrote:
> Well, the old arbor is full of grapes--Concord grapes, that is.
>
> Just made a batch of grape jam, and I have the pulp ready for another
> batch tomorrow. I probably have at least another 5 pounds left--probably
> closer to 10--so... another Concord grape pie or two. I haven't decided
> which recipe I'll use for that. The biggest choices for the pie recipes
> are (1) streusel topping vs. second crust (I prefer streusel), and (2)
> which thickener. I'm debating going for tapioca this year--I've never
> used it before. Otherwise, it's flour or cornstarch.
>
> I came across this pie recipe:
> <http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipet.cgi?r=72384&y=1>
> isn't that a lot of cornstarch??
>
> Also: grape sorbet.
>

> Any other ideas??

Tapioca flour instead. Use it as you would use cornstarch. Eat away. I
hear that colorful fruits can reduce cholesterol. Make an extra pie for
me. Wait, don't do that. I just made my last blueberry pie of the
season. (I added some rhubarb to cut down on the sweetness.)
--
Alan

"I don't think you can win the war on terror."

...George (flip-flop) Bush, 8/30/2004

blake murphy

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 02:57:08 GMT, Scott >
wrote:

>Well, the old arbor is full of grapes--Concord grapes, that is.
>
>Any other ideas??

if it were me, i'd just eat them off the vine until i got sick.

your pal,
blake
blake murphy

wrote:

>Well, the old arbor is full of grapes--Concord grapes, that is.
>
>Any other ideas??

if it were me, i'd just eat them off the vine until i got sick.

your pal,
blake
blake murphy

wrote:

>Well, the old arbor is full of grapes--Concord grapes, that is.
>
>Any other ideas??

if it were me, i'd just eat them off the vine until i got sick.

your pal,
blake
Scott

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> if it were me, i'd just eat them off the vine until i got sick.

Considering that I have somewhere around 20+ pounds total, that'd be
easy. But besides, they're Concord grapes, which aren't all that
suitable for eating out of hand (though I've eaten plenty) due to the
seeds and relatively thick skin. One source has likened eating Concords
to eating oysters.

please mail OT responses only

Scott

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> if it were me, i'd just eat them off the vine until i got sick.

Considering that I have somewhere around 20+ pounds total, that'd be
easy. But besides, they're Concord grapes, which aren't all that
suitable for eating out of hand (though I've eaten plenty) due to the
seeds and relatively thick skin. One source has likened eating Concords
to eating oysters.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> if it were me, i'd just eat them off the vine until i got sick.

Considering that I have somewhere around 20+ pounds total, that'd be
easy. But besides, they're Concord grapes, which aren't all that
suitable for eating out of hand (though I've eaten plenty) due to the
seeds and relatively thick skin. One source has likened eating Concords
to eating oysters.

please mail OT responses only
Kevintsheehy

On 9/6/2004, Scott wrote:

<snip>

>One source has likened eating Concords to eating oysters.

Curious comparison, at least IMO. Do you recall the source?

Kevintsheehy

On 9/6/2004, Scott wrote:

<snip>

>One source has likened eating Concords to eating oysters.

Curious comparison, at least IMO. Do you recall the source?

kilikini

"Kevintsheehy" > wrote in message
> On 9/6/2004, Scott wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >One source has likened eating Concords to eating oysters.

> Curious comparison, at least IMO. Do you recall the source?

Yeah, I don't understand that one at all. Unless one were to somehow *skin*
the grape first. Then it would be as slimey. I used to do that as a kid at
my grandparent's house because I didn't care for the thick, tough, bitter
skin. Wow, I can't believe I remembered that!

kili

kilikini

"Kevintsheehy" > wrote in message
> On 9/6/2004, Scott wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >One source has likened eating Concords to eating oysters.

> Curious comparison, at least IMO. Do you recall the source?

Yeah, I don't understand that one at all. Unless one were to somehow *skin*
the grape first. Then it would be as slimey. I used to do that as a kid at
my grandparent's house because I didn't care for the thick, tough, bitter
skin. Wow, I can't believe I remembered that!

kili

kilikini

"Kevintsheehy" > wrote in message
> On 9/6/2004, Scott wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >One source has likened eating Concords to eating oysters.

> Curious comparison, at least IMO. Do you recall the source?

Yeah, I don't understand that one at all. Unless one were to somehow *skin*
the grape first. Then it would be as slimey. I used to do that as a kid at
my grandparent's house because I didn't care for the thick, tough, bitter
skin. Wow, I can't believe I remembered that!

kili

Julian9EHP

Freeze 'em. Good for smoothies, or as a popcycle treat.

E. P.
Julian9EHP

Freeze 'em. Good for smoothies, or as a popcycle treat.

E. P.
PENMART01

>"kilikini"
>
>"Kevintsheehy" wrote
>>Scott wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> >One source has likened eating Concords to eating oysters.

>> Curious comparison, at least IMO. Do you recall the source?

>Yeah, I don't understand that one at all. Unless one were to somehow *skin*
>the grape first. Then it would be as slimey. I used to do that as a kid at
>my grandparent's house because I didn't care for the thick, tough, bitter
>skin. Wow, I can't believe I remembered that!

Think of something else you *skin* back and enjoy swallowing, minus the pits!
hehe

My concord file....

"Good Picking" GRAPE JAM

Pick 3-1/2 lbs Concord grapes.
Slip skins from pulp and set aside.
Place grape pulp in stainless jelly pot
with 1/2c water.

Bring to boil & simmer 5 mins.
Sieve to remove seeds.
Finely chop skins & add to cooked pulp.

Measure 5c grape pulp mixture
and return pulp to jelly pot.

Add 7-1/2c sugar, 1/2t butter.

Heat medium heat till sugar
melted, then adjust to high heat.

Heat and stir to full rolling
boil that will not stop.

Add 1 pouch Certo and return
to full rolling boil at high heat.
Boil exactly one minute stirring constantly.

Fill jars to 1/8in.
Seal with lids.
Invert 5 mins.

GRAPE JAM -- Ball Blue Book

2 quarts stemmed concord grapes
6 cups sugar

Separate pulp from skins of grapes. If desired, chop skins. Cook skins gently
15 to 20 minutes, adding only enough water
to prevent sticking (about 1/2 cup). Cook pulp without water until soft; press
through sieve or food mill to remove seeds. Combine pulp, skins and sugar in a
large sauce pot. Bring
slowly to a boil, stirring until sugar disolves. Cook rapidly almost to
jellying point, about 10 minutes. As mixture
thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Pour hot into
hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps.
Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath.
Yield: about 3 pints.

Grape Pie (Welch's)

4 Cups Concord grapes
3/4 C granulated sugar
1 1/2 TBS. lemon juice
1-2 TBS. quick tapioca

Slip grapes from skins. Save skins.
Cook pulp until seeds loosen. Press through sieve.
Mix pulp, skins and remaining ingredients.
Let stand 5-10 minutes. Pour into UNBAKED pie shell,
top with second crust and bake. Pie will be done when
it is bubbling in the center (takes 45-60 minutes to bake).

(Special notes: Start pie at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350. Vent top crust well since this pie
tends to bubble over because of the high sugar content.
You may want to put a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom
of the oven to catch any spills.)

Concord Grape Pie (anon)

pastry for single crust pie
11/2 lbs. concord grapes (4 cups)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 t. salt
2 T. butter or margarine melted
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Prepare and roll out pastry into a 12 inch circle. Line a 9 inch pie
plate and flute edge. Do not prick pastry. Slip skins from grapes
and set skins aside. In saucepan bring grape pulp to a boil. Reduce
the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Sieve to remove seeds. Add
skins to pulp. Combine 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and the salt.
Stir in the butter, lemon juice and grape mixture. Pour into pastry
shell. To prevent over browning cover edge of pie with tinfoil. Bake
in 375 degrees for 20 -25 minutes. Mean while combine 1/2 cup flour
and 1/2 cup sugar. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until crumbly. Remove foil
from pie. Sprinkle crumbs mixture over pie. Bake about 25 minutes
more.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

> [...]

2 T. butter or margarine melted
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Prepare and roll out pastry into a 12 inch circle. Line a 9 inch pie
plate and flute edge. Do not prick pastry. Slip skins from grapes
and set skins aside. In saucepan bring grape pulp to a boil. Reduce
the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Sieve to remove seeds. Add
skins to pulp. Combine 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and the salt.
Stir in the butter, lemon juice and grape mixture. Pour into pastry
shell. To prevent over browning cover edge of pie with tinfoil. Bake
in 375 degrees for 20 -25 minutes. Mean while combine 1/2 cup flour
and 1/2 cup sugar. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until crumbly. Remove foil
from pie. Sprinkle crumbs mixture over pie. Bake about 25 minutes

PENMART01

>(Julian9EHP)

>Freeze 'em. Good for smoothies, or as a popcycle treat.

And what will you use to emulsify the skins and PITS... my Johnson?

http://johnson.com

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>(Julian9EHP)

>Freeze 'em. Good for smoothies, or as a popcycle treat.

And what will you use to emulsify the skins and PITS... my Johnson?

http://johnson.com

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Dave Smith

Scott wrote:

> Considering that I have somewhere around 20+ pounds total, that'd be
> easy. But besides, they're Concord grapes, which aren't all that
> suitable for eating out of hand (though I've eaten plenty) due to the
> seeds and relatively thick skin. One source has likened eating Concords
> to eating oysters.

I usually think of them as beng more like an eyeball.

Dave Smith

Scott wrote:

> Considering that I have somewhere around 20+ pounds total, that'd be
> easy. But besides, they're Concord grapes, which aren't all that
> suitable for eating out of hand (though I've eaten plenty) due to the
> seeds and relatively thick skin. One source has likened eating Concords
> to eating oysters.

I usually think of them as beng more like an eyeball.

Dave Smith

Scott wrote:

> Considering that I have somewhere around 20+ pounds total, that'd be
> easy. But besides, they're Concord grapes, which aren't all that
> suitable for eating out of hand (though I've eaten plenty) due to the
> seeds and relatively thick skin. One source has likened eating Concords
> to eating oysters.

I usually think of them as being more like an eyeball.

Dave Smith

Scott wrote:

> Considering that I have somewhere around 20+ pounds total, that'd be
> easy. But besides, they're Concord grapes, which aren't all that
> suitable for eating out of hand (though I've eaten plenty) due to the
> seeds and relatively thick skin. One source has likened eating Concords
> to eating oysters.

I usually think of them as being more like an eyeball.

Puester

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
> > if it were me, i'd just eat them off the vine until i got sick.

> Considering that I have somewhere around 20+ pounds total, that'd be
> easy. But besides, they're Concord grapes, which aren't all that
> suitable for eating out of hand (though I've eaten plenty) due to the
> seeds and relatively thick skin. One source has likened eating Concords
> to eating oysters.
>
> --

If you mean an acquired taste, I agree. Our Concords
are about half ripe so I expect to hear the patter of
little raccoon feet (more like a loud stomping) across
the roof any night now.

Jam/jelly is the preferred use for us. I've only had
Concord grape pie once, made by a friend, and it was awful.
(Are you SUPPOSED to leave the seeds and skins in? Ick.)
HUsband insisted on using the crop about 3 yrs. ago for
wine. Also ICK. Manischewitz is a lot cheaper than buying
all the needed gear and it tastes better if you like Concord
wine. I'm not a fan.

gloria p
Puester

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
> > if it were me, i'd just eat them off the vine until i got sick.

> Considering that I have somewhere around 20+ pounds total, that'd be
> easy. But besides, they're Concord grapes, which aren't all that
> suitable for eating out of hand (though I've eaten plenty) due to the
> seeds and relatively thick skin. One source has likened eating Concords
> to eating oysters.
>
> --

If you mean an acquired taste, I agree. Our Concords
are about half ripe so I expect to hear the patter of
little raccoon feet (more like a loud stomping) across
the roof any night now.

Jam/jelly is the preferred use for us. I've only had
Concord grape pie once, made by a friend, and it was awful.
(Are you SUPPOSED to leave the seeds and skins in? Ick.)
HUsband insisted on using the crop about 3 yrs. ago for
wine. Also ICK. Manischewitz is a lot cheaper than buying
all the needed gear and it tastes better if you like Concord
wine. I'm not a fan.

gloria p
Puester

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
> > if it were me, i'd just eat them off the vine until i got sick.

> Considering that I have somewhere around 20+ pounds total, that'd be
> easy. But besides, they're Concord grapes, which aren't all that
> suitable for eating out of hand (though I've eaten plenty) due to the
> seeds and relatively thick skin. One source has likened eating Concords
> to eating oysters.
>
> --

If you mean an acquired taste, I agree. Our Concords
are about half ripe so I expect to hear the patter of
little raccoon feet (more like a loud stomping) across
the roof any night now.

Jam/jelly is the preferred use for us. I've only had
Concord grape pie once, made by a friend, and it was awful.
(Are you SUPPOSED to leave the seeds and skins in? Ick.)
HUsband insisted on using the crop about 3 yrs. ago for
wine. Also ICK. Manischewitz is a lot cheaper than buying
all the needed gear and it tastes better if you like Concord
wine. I'm not a fan.

gloria p

Scott

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> If you mean an acquired taste, I agree. Our Concords
> are about half ripe so I expect to hear the patter of
> little raccoon feet (more like a loud stomping) across
> the roof any night now.

The analogy to oysters was in how you eat them, sucking out the inside.
I'd always eat the pulp from the inside, spit out the seeds, then eat
the skin.

> Jam/jelly is the preferred use for us. I've only had
> Concord grape pie once, made by a friend, and it was awful.
> (Are you SUPPOSED to leave the seeds and skins in? Ick.)

The pie should definitely NOT have the seeds left in. The skins are
tricky, though--it should have the skins, but they shouldn't be a
sensory defect. I happened to see a Food Finds episode on the Finger
Lakes, and they showed this place that made Concord grape pie. Curious
to compare it to what I've made, I ordered a pie:
<http://www.monicaspies.com/>

It was fabulous. Deep purple, so the skins figured in to production (as
the web page notes), but I couldn't "feel" them. No chewiness. It's
driving me nuts how they did that. I tried chopping them up, but you can
still tell they're there.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> If you mean an acquired taste, I agree. Our Concords
> are about half ripe so I expect to hear the patter of
> little raccoon feet (more like a loud stomping) across
> the roof any night now.

The analogy to oysters was in how you eat them, sucking out the inside.
I'd always eat the pulp from the inside, spit out the seeds, then eat
the skin.

> Jam/jelly is the preferred use for us. I've only had
> Concord grape pie once, made by a friend, and it was awful.
> (Are you SUPPOSED to leave the seeds and skins in? Ick.)

The pie should definitely NOT have the seeds left in. The skins are
tricky, though--it should have the skins, but they shouldn't be a
sensory defect. I happened to see a Food Finds episode on the Finger
Lakes, and they showed this place that made Concord grape pie. Curious
to compare it to what I've made, I ordered a pie:
<http://www.monicaspies.com/>

It was fabulous. Deep purple, so the skins figured in to production (as
the web page notes), but I couldn't "feel" them. No chewiness. It's
driving me nuts how they did that. I tried chopping them up, but you can
still tell they're there.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

Just put up another batch of grape jam.

A two crust Concord grape pie, thickened with tapioca, came out of the
oven today; looks fantastic--hope it tastes as good. I think I'll make
another, maybe with a streusel topping.

Made a batch of Concord grape juice, and the tub from my ice cream
machine is in the freezer to make sorbet tomorrow. The recipe called for
adding 1 tablespoon of vodka. I wasn't entirely sure why--considering
the quantity, and the fact that vodka has no taste, I figured that it
had something to do with the texture by effecting the freezing process.
I didn't have any vodka, but I had an old bottle of sweet vermouth
(tasted fine). I thought this might add an interesting taste, so I used
it (upping the quantity a bit, considering the lower alcohol content).

hmmm. What else? Grape ice cream? Frozen yogurt? I found this and
thought it might be interesting:

Concord Grape Cream Pie
Two 8 oz pkg cream cheese
4 eggs
1 cup of sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cups grape juice
5 tbs cornstarch
1/8 lb butter

Beat the cream cheese lightly and add the eggs, beat. Add rest of
ingredients, beat and pour into a graham cracker crust. Bake 15 minutes
in 350F oven. Chill.

Top the chilled pie with:
1-1/2 cups grape juice
5 tbs cornstarch
1/8 lb butter

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat
and cool slightly, pour over cream cheese filling. Chill. Top with
whipped cream before serving.

If the grape juice is prepared with fresh Concord grapes, leave the pulp
of the grapes in the juice, minus the seeds.

please mail OT responses only