Carlo Morpurgo

Default semola di grano duro

Hi - for those who might now what I am talking about....is there
an equivalent of the "semola di grano duro" flour here in the US?

Thanks, Carlo

Christopher Green

"Carlo Morpurgo" > wrote in message >...
> Hi - for those who might now what I am talking about....is there
> an equivalent of the "semola di grano duro" flour here in the US?
>
> Thanks, Carlo

You can get "semolina flour" from specialty stores, or the real thing
imported from Italy. As mainstream US flour goes, unbleached bread
flour is a pretty close equivalent, if a bit coarser; I recall the
Italian grind as being extremely fine, like US "pre-sifted".
All-purpose flour is softer. In any case, I'd stick with unbleached: I
don't favor bleached flours for making pasta; the way they take liquid
just feels wrong to me.

--
Chris Green
Christopher Green

"Carlo Morpurgo" > wrote in message >...
> Hi - for those who might now what I am talking about....is there
> an equivalent of the "semola di grano duro" flour here in the US?
>
> Thanks, Carlo

You can get "semolina flour" from specialty stores, or the real thing
imported from Italy. As mainstream US flour goes, unbleached bread
flour is a pretty close equivalent, if a bit coarser; I recall the
Italian grind as being extremely fine, like US "pre-sifted".
All-purpose flour is softer. In any case, I'd stick with unbleached: I
don't favor bleached flours for making pasta; the way they take liquid
just feels wrong to me.

--
Chris Green
Lynn Gifford

"Carlo Morpurgo" > wrote in message >...
> Hi - for those who might now what I am talking about....is there
> an equivalent of the "semola di grano duro" flour here in the US?
>
> Thanks, Carlo

I think you're talking about semolina - 100% durum wheat flour for
pasta. You should find it in any good grocery store. Try the "health
food" section if all else fails.
Lynn from Fargo . . .
North Dakota - where most of the world's durum wheat comes from!
Lynn Gifford