TOM KAN PA

Default Which end of filet is the best?????

On a filet of beef, which end is the best? The bigger end or the smaller,
narrower end?

Chris

"TOM KAN PA" > wrote in message
> On a filet of beef, which end is the best? The bigger end or the smaller,
> narrower end?

The bigger end is always the better end, giving you more meat to work with.
You, also, probably want to avoid whichever areas seem to have more "fat",
as more fat means less meat.

TOM KAN PA > wrote:
> On a filet of beef, which end is the best? The bigger end or the smaller,
> narrower end?

That depends on what you mean by "best."

Paul M. Cook©®

The small end.

Paul

"TOM KAN PA" > wrote in message
> On a filet of beef, which end is the best? The bigger end or the smaller,
> narrower end?

Dave Smith

TOM KAN PA wrote:

> On a filet of beef, which end is the best? The bigger end or the smaller,
> narrower end?

I have never noticed much difference, but I never by the very ends. They have
bits of connective tissue and viscera that make for some tough chewing. Since
they charge a lot more for filet that other cuts of steak and they charge as
much for those tough end pieces as they do for the middle, I want the good
stuff.

Dave Smith

Chris wrote:

> "TOM KAN PA" > wrote in message
> > On a filet of beef, which end is the best? The bigger end or the smaller,
> > narrower end?

> The bigger end is always the better end, giving you more meat to work with.
> You, also, probably want to avoid whichever areas seem to have more "fat",
> as more fat means less meat.

More fat also means more flavour. I think that filets are usually a pretty good
cut of meat, but they need a little extra care in cooking. They can be dry and
flavourless if you don't use any extra fat or oil to cook them, and if you
overcook them. I have never seen huge wads of fat in a filet, and I prefer
them to have a little marbling, though certainly not as much as you would see
in other beef cuts.

Steve Calvin

Paul M. Cook=A9=AE wrote:

> The small end.
>=20
> Paul
>=20
> "TOM KAN PA" > wrote in message
>=20
>>On a filet of beef, which end is the best? The bigger end or the smalle=

r,
>>narrower end?
>>

>=20
>=20
>=20

It really depends on the intended usage.

--=20
Steve

Neither:
Mad Cow!

TOM KAN PA wrote:

> On a filet of beef, which end is the best? The bigger end or the smaller,
> narrower end?

Filet Mignon Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 32 10-05-2013 01:12 AM
What I don't get about a Chick Filet-A The Undead Edward M. Kennedy Barbecue 0 03-08-2012 08:41 PM
Filet Castro Bowl Brisket! Barbecue 2 13-09-2011 02:17 PM
Burgundy filet Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-06-2005 05:49 PM