Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Filet Mignon

Every time any of us has filet mignon in a restaurant, we always love
it - what's not to love, right?

Are there cuts of beef that come close to what filet mignon offers but
at a significantly lower price?

And what is considered a "standard" method of preparation, e.g.,
broiling, pan searing then broiling, etc.

Thanks for a beefducation.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 May 2013 14:54:31 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

>Every time any of us has filet mignon in a restaurant, we always love
>it - what's not to love, right?
>
>Are there cuts of beef that come close to what filet mignon offers but
>at a significantly lower price?
>
>And what is considered a "standard" method of preparation, e.g.,
>broiling, pan searing then broiling, etc.
>
>Thanks for a beefducation.
>
>-S-

What do you like about it? It is tender, other than that, I see no
reason to eat one. Rib eye and strip steak has much more flavor, IMO.
What you like about it may determine how to prepare it. Searing the
outer surface gives it much of the flavor and they are often wrapped
in bacon to keep them from drying out on the grill since it is very
lean.

No other cut comes close to it for tenderness though and if it did,
the price would be right up there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 5 May 2013 14:54:31 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>>Every time any of us has filet mignon in a restaurant, we always love
>>it - what's not to love, right?
>>
>>Are there cuts of beef that come close to what filet mignon offers but
>>at a significantly lower price?
>>
>>And what is considered a "standard" method of preparation, e.g.,
>>broiling, pan searing then broiling, etc.
>>
>>Thanks for a beefducation.
>>
>>-S-
>>

> What do you like about it? It is tender, other than that, I see no
> reason to eat one. Rib eye and strip steak has much more flavor, IMO.
> What you like about it may determine how to prepare it. Searing the
> outer surface gives it much of the flavor and they are often wrapped
> in bacon to keep them from drying out on the grill since it is very
> lean.
>
> No other cut comes close to it for tenderness though and if it did,
> the price would be right up there.

agree. Also, pan sear and grill are common cooking techniques. Often it is
served with a sauce, since it is not the most flavorful cut of beef. Sauces
I like are based on demiglace, including just demi, chasseur sauce, and
variations thereof.

Make mine a ribeye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/13 2:54 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Every time any of us has filet mignon in a restaurant, we always love
> it - what's not to love, right?

Well, the lack of flavor, for one. A filet will never approach the
flavor of a good hanger steak. That's why filets get incorporated into
dishes like Beef Wellington, where other elements can augment the flavor.

> Are there cuts of beef that come close to what filet mignon offers but
> at a significantly lower price?

Simply, no. No other beef cut has the tenderness of a filet.

> And what is considered a "standard" method of preparation, e.g.,
> broiling, pan searing then broiling, etc.

For medium-rare to medium, some people sear for 4-5 minutes per side for
each inch of thickness.

I sear two minutes per side, then finish in a 300-325 degree oven for
five minutes per inch of thickness. I find this gives me finer control
over the degree of done-ness and a more consistent interior.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 3:31 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 5/5/13 2:54 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>> Every time any of us has filet mignon in a restaurant, we always love
>> it - what's not to love, right?

> Well, the lack of flavor, for one. A filet will never approach the
> flavor of a good hanger steak. That's why filets get incorporated into
> dishes like Beef Wellington, where other elements can augment the flavor.
>
>> Are there cuts of beef that come close to what filet mignon offers but
>> at a significantly lower price?

> Simply, no. No other beef cut has the tenderness of a filet.
>
>> And what is considered a "standard" method of preparation, e.g.,
>> broiling, pan searing then broiling, etc.

> For medium-rare to medium, some people sear for 4-5 minutes per side for
> each inch of thickness.
>
> I sear two minutes per side, then finish in a 300-325 degree oven for
> five minutes per inch of thickness. I find this gives me finer control
> over the degree of done-ness and a more consistent interior.

I use a Foreman grill, which produces the rare inside with a browned
outside as I like it.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/05/2013 3:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 5 May 2013 14:54:31 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> Every time any of us has filet mignon in a restaurant, we always love
>> it - what's not to love, right?
>>
>> Are there cuts of beef that come close to what filet mignon offers but
>> at a significantly lower price?
>>
>> And what is considered a "standard" method of preparation, e.g.,
>> broiling, pan searing then broiling, etc.
>>
>> Thanks for a beefducation.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> What do you like about it? It is tender, other than that, I see no
> reason to eat one. Rib eye and strip steak has much more flavor, IMO.
> What you like about it may determine how to prepare it. Searing the
> outer surface gives it much of the flavor and they are often wrapped
> in bacon to keep them from drying out on the grill since it is very
> lean.
>
> No other cut comes close to it for tenderness though and if it did,
> the price would be right up there.

I like beef tenderloin steaks. It works well for me because I like beef
rare, and a rare tenderloin is very tasty. Once it gets cooked past
medium it gets tough and loses that nice flavour. I think it is a good
cut of steak for people who like it very rare, but if you are one of
those squeamish types who insists on meet being cooked, tenderloin is a
waste.

As for cost..... the price of a serving of tenderloin is one of its
selling points for me. It does cost a lot per pound but it only takes
5-6 oz to make a decent serving. There is no fat or bone waste, no loss
of fat in the cooking process. My wife and I used to split Porterhouse
steaks. I would take the tenderloin side and she would take the strip
side. The only problem was that the tenderloin side cooked faster and
she preferred the strip more cooked than I wanted mine. It was usually
more expensive to get one steak big enough to split or to buy two of
other steaks than to get two tenderloins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 5 May 2013 14:54:31 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> Every time any of us has filet mignon in a restaurant, we always love
>> it - what's not to love, right?
>>
>> Are there cuts of beef that come close to what filet mignon offers
>> but at a significantly lower price?
>>
>> And what is considered a "standard" method of preparation, e.g.,
>> broiling, pan searing then broiling, etc.
>>
>> Thanks for a beefducation.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> What do you like about it? It is tender, other than that, I see no
> reason to eat one. Rib eye and strip steak has much more flavor, IMO.
> What you like about it may determine how to prepare it. Searing the
> outer surface gives it much of the flavor and they are often wrapped
> in bacon to keep them from drying out on the grill since it is very
> lean.
>
> No other cut comes close to it for tenderness though and if it did,
> the price would be right up there.

I think the tenderness of it is what all of us in my family like about
it. However it's been prepared for us, we find it plenty flavorful.

Let's ask a different question, then - what would come in second to
filet mignon in the tenderness race but have more flavor? I'm certainly
up for buying that and giving it a try here.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/05/2013 5:56 PM, Steve Freides wrote:

>> No other cut comes close to it for tenderness though and if it did,
>> the price would be right up there.

> I think the tenderness of it is what all of us in my family like about
> it. However it's been prepared for us, we find it plenty flavorful.
>
> Let's ask a different question, then - what would come in second to
> filet mignon in the tenderness race but have more flavor? I'm certainly
> up for buying that and giving it a try here.

Probably rib eye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I love steak rare. I buy chuck eye steak at $5.99 a lb and I buy flank
steak at $7.99 a lb. By the time you grill the chuck eye steak and the
fat breaks up, you are left with a juicy 1/2 lb of steak volume-wise. By
the time you sear the flank steak, you still have 1 lb of steak.
Sometimes more expensive IS the better value.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2013 6:27 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 05/05/2013 5:56 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>>> No other cut comes close to it for tenderness though and if it did,
>>> the price would be right up there.

>> I think the tenderness of it is what all of us in my family like about
>> it. However it's been prepared for us, we find it plenty flavorful.
>>
>> Let's ask a different question, then - what would come in second to
>> filet mignon in the tenderness race but have more flavor? I'm certainly
>> up for buying that and giving it a try here.

> Probably rib eye.

Flat iron steak. Tender and flavorful.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/13 11:32 PM, Cheryl wrote:

>>> Let's ask a different question, then - what would come in second to
>>> filet mignon in the tenderness race but have more flavor?

> Flat iron steak. Tender and flavorful.

We have flat iron all the time, since hanger has become so hard to find.
Its flavor is great, but it is definitely not a tender cut.

Ribeye is the winner here.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 May 2013 23:32:41 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>>> I think the tenderness of it is what all of us in my family like about
>>> it. However it's been prepared for us, we find it plenty flavorful.
>>>
>>> Let's ask a different question, then - what would come in second to
>>> filet mignon in the tenderness race but have more flavor? I'm certainly
>>> up for buying that and giving it a try here.

>> Probably rib eye.
>>

>Flat iron steak. Tender and flavorful.

My favorite is a chuck steak... grilled on high and rare inside...
when properly cooked chuck steaks are not tough and no other steak is
as flavorful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote:

> > Flat iron steak. Tender and flavorful.

> We have flat iron all the time, since hanger has become so hard to find.
> Its flavor is great, but it is definitely not a tender cut.
>
> Ribeye is the winner here.
>
> -- Larry

I prefer ribeye too.
Has anyone here tried the Kobe beef? Supposed to be the best, tender ever.
The best to buy if your wallet is large enough.
How about a Kobe ribeye? hmmmmm

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> My favorite is a chuck steak... grilled on high and rare inside...
> when properly cooked chuck steaks are not tough and no other steak is
> as flavorful.

I tried that on your recommendation and they are very flavorful.
On sale here this week for $2.98lb.

As far as flavorful and tender, I'll have to cook both a chuck and a ribeye
one day and compare them side by side.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-05-05 19:46:56 +0000, Dave Smith said:

>> What do you like about it? It is tender, other than that, I see no
>> reason to eat one. Rib eye and strip steak has much more flavor, IMO.
>> What you like about it may determine how to prepare it. Searing the
>> outer surface gives it much of the flavor and they are often wrapped
>> in bacon to keep them from drying out on the grill since it is very
>> lean.
>>
>> No other cut comes close to it for tenderness though and if it did,
>> the price would be right up there.

> I like beef tenderloin steaks.

But isn't a filet mignon a slice of the tenderloin. You mean the other
end of the tenderloin?

> It works well for me because I like beef rare, and a rare tenderloin is
> very tasty. Once it gets cooked past medium it gets tough and loses
> that nice flavour. I think it is a good cut of steak for people who
> like it very rare, but if you are one of those squeamish types who
> insists on meet being cooked, tenderloin is a waste.
>
> As for cost..... the price of a serving of tenderloin is one of its
> selling points for me. It does cost a lot per pound but it only takes
> 5-6 oz to make a decent serving. There is no fat or bone waste, no loss
> of fat in the cooking process. My wife and I used to split Porterhouse
> steaks.

That's my favorite approach, but I can't get the wife to in on one with
me any more. She's become steak averse.

> I would take the tenderloin side and she would take the strip side. The
> only problem was that the tenderloin side cooked faster and she
> preferred the strip more cooked than I wanted mine. It was usually
> more expensive to get one steak big enough to split or to buy two of
> other steaks than to get two tenderloins.

I've never cooked a porterhouse, though the wife did for me on my
birthday about 15 years ago. She got the recipe from the 21 Club
cookbook and it was packed with Rosemary. It was really good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-05-06 03:13:02 +0000, gregz said:

> You get filet mignon with each t-bone or porterhouse I prefer getting the
> bone. The best steak I ever ate was a, for two, Ruth Chris porterhouse corn
> fed beef. Nice and thick. I only ate there once, in Florida. I have been
> cooking mostly rib-eye lately.

Same here. It simply blowed my mind, and had me eating steaks again in
restuarants after many years away. Mostly steaks of vastly inferior
quality. So I started laying off again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-05-06 14:21:33 +0000, Susan said:

>> You get filet mignon with each t-bone or porterhouse I prefer getting the
>> bone. The best steak I ever ate was a, for two, Ruth Chris porterhouse corn
>> fed beef. Nice and thick. I only ate there once, in Florida. I have been
>> cooking mostly rib-eye lately.

> While I've occasionally enjoyed sharing a large, dry aged steak house
> porterhouse for two, it's made of two of my least favorite steaks,
> filet and NY strip.

I understand that the porter house is comprised of a piece of the
tenerloin and a "strip steak". Is there a difference between a strip
steak and a NY strip?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/05/2013 6:32 PM, gtr wrote:

>>> No other cut comes close to it for tenderness though and if it did,
>>> the price would be right up there.

>> I like beef tenderloin steaks.

> But isn't a filet mignon a slice of the tenderloin. You mean the other
> end of the tenderloin?

Filet mignon is supposed to be cut from the skinny end, but it is
commonly called that no matter which end of the tenderloin it comes from.

> I've never cooked a porterhouse, though the wife did for me on my
> birthday about 15 years ago. She got the recipe from the 21 Club
> cookbook and it was packed with Rosemary. It was really good.

Packed with rosemary?? IMO Porterhouse doesn't need any herbs. Salt
and pepper is enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 5, 7:28*pm, The Other Guy > wrote:

> Asian markets often have whole Filets for decent prices,
> locally I can get a 3-4 pounder for $5 a pound and sometimes less.
>
> I open the pack, cut it into servings, and freeze most,
> and eat 1 right away.
>
> Cooking is standard pan frying in butter, often with fresh mushrooms.

Here's a tip. Go to the restaurant supply place....Cash and Carry,
Restaurant Supply, whatever one is near you.
Go to the meats section and buy what will be labeled a PEELED BUTT
TENDER. You will find it's a pretty good sized
piece of meat..... in cryovac. You should be able to buy one at a
very very good price per pound. They are fairly large so
it will be pricey but totally worth it.

Take it home and trim it down yourself. Save the trimmed pieces for
stroganoff or stew and cut the rest into steaks and freeze them.

I do the same with whole boneless rib eyes and flap meat and skirt
steak, etc.

The restaurant supply stores have good meat. Just finish the
butchering on the whole piece yourself. Saves big bucks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr > wrote:
> On 2013-05-06 14:21:33 +0000, Susan said:
>
>>> You get filet mignon with each t-bone or porterhouse I prefer getting the
>>> bone. The best steak I ever ate was a, for two, Ruth Chris porterhouse corn
>>> fed beef. Nice and thick. I only ate there once, in Florida. I have been
>>> cooking mostly rib-eye lately.
>>> While I've occasionally enjoyed sharing a large, dry aged steak house >
>>> porterhouse for two, it's made of two of my least favorite steaks, > filet and NY strip.

> I understand that the porter house is comprised of a piece of the
> tenerloin and a "strip steak". Is there a difference between a strip steak and a NY strip?

Should be the same.

There is error in some internet info. Saying, Delmonico turned into strip.
Not true. Delmonico is ribeye related. They say that rib area is the most
tasteful.
I'll tell the most tasteful, when you finally pick up that porterhouse and
sucking the meat off the bone, you know.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>On 2013-05-05 19:46:56 +0000, Dave Smith said:

>> I would take the tenderloin side and she would take the strip side. The
>> only problem was that the tenderloin side cooked faster and she
>> preferred the strip more cooked than I wanted mine. It was usually
>> more expensive to get one steak big enough to split or to buy two of
>> other steaks than to get two tenderloins.

I used to buy porterhouse or t-bone steaks when they were on special,
and carve them up into a tenderloin and a strip. I'd buy the steaks 2
at a time, so I'd end up with 2 tenderloins and 2 strips, and I'd wrap
and freeze them separately.

If you carefully pick through the selection at the grocery store, you
can sometimes find porterhouse steaks with a tenderloin side that's
about 6 ounces.

Oh, and we'd trim off the excess fat for a treat for the dogs, and
we'd freeze the bones to use in beef stock. Waste no part of the
animal.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-05-09 01:20:41 +0000, Dave Smith said:

>>> I like beef tenderloin steaks.

>> But isn't a filet mignon a slice of the tenderloin. You mean the other
>> end of the tenderloin?

> Filet mignon is supposed to be cut from the skinny end, but it is
> commonly called that no matter which end of the tenderloin it comes
> from.
>

>> I've never cooked a porterhouse, though the wife did for me on my
>> birthday about 15 years ago. She got the recipe from the 21 Club
>> cookbook and it was packed with Rosemary. It was really good.
>>

> Packed with rosemary?? IMO Porterhouse doesn't need any herbs.
> Salt and pepper is enough.

It doesn't NEED rosemary, I totally agree. Nevertheless I like both
variety and the rosemary is really great.

I also like vanilla AND chocolate ice cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 May 2013 18:22:33 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>Here's a tip. Go to the restaurant supply place....Cash and Carry,
>Restaurant Supply, whatever one is near you.
>Go to the meats section and buy what will be labeled a PEELED BUTT
>TENDER. You will find it's a pretty good sized
>piece of meat..... in cryovac. You should be able to buy one at a
>very very good price per pound. They are fairly large so
>it will be pricey but totally worth it.
>
>Take it home and trim it down yourself. Save the trimmed pieces for
>stroganoff or stew and cut the rest into steaks and freeze them.

Sobeys in Ontario occasionally has these on special for ~$9.99/pound.
One whole chunk would be about $60. I haven't bought one in a while,
but I think I used to get a dozen or more steaks out of one piece.

I do what you do, and save the trimmings for stew. And the dogs (doG
rest their little souls) used to get the crappier pieces of trim.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 May 2013 15:32:06 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> But isn't a filet mignon a slice of the tenderloin. You mean the other
> end of the tenderloin?

I might be wrong, but (for me) filet mignon "steaks" are from the
small end of the tenderloin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 May 2013 15:38:23 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> On 2013-05-06 14:21:33 +0000, Susan said:
>
> >> You get filet mignon with each t-bone or porterhouse I prefer getting the
> >> bone. The best steak I ever ate was a, for two, Ruth Chris porterhouse corn
> >> fed beef. Nice and thick. I only ate there once, in Florida. I have been
> >> cooking mostly rib-eye lately.

> > While I've occasionally enjoyed sharing a large, dry aged steak house
> > porterhouse for two, it's made of two of my least favorite steaks,
> > filet and NY strip.

> I understand that the porter house is comprised of a piece of the
> tenerloin and a "strip steak". Is there a difference between a strip
> steak and a NY strip?

We call it a NY steak at my house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/05/2013 11:34 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2013 18:22:33 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>

>> Here's a tip. Go to the restaurant supply place....Cash and Carry,
>> Restaurant Supply, whatever one is near you.
>> Go to the meats section and buy what will be labeled a PEELED BUTT
>> TENDER. You will find it's a pretty good sized
>> piece of meat..... in cryovac. You should be able to buy one at a
>> very very good price per pound. They are fairly large so
>> it will be pricey but totally worth it.
>>
>> Take it home and trim it down yourself. Save the trimmed pieces for
>> stroganoff or stew and cut the rest into steaks and freeze them.

> Sobeys in Ontario occasionally has these on special for ~$9.99/pound.
> One whole chunk would be about $60. I haven't bought one in a while,
> but I think I used to get a dozen or more steaks out of one piece.
>
> I do what you do, and save the trimmings for stew. And the dogs (doG
> rest their little souls) used to get the crappier pieces of trim.

We bought one for New Years. I cut off a chunk for a roast. It fed four
of us for our New Years Day dinner and there was enough leftover for the
two of us. I cut the rest and got 9 steaks out of it. Not a bad deal at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2013 15:32:06 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> But isn't a filet mignon a slice of the tenderloin. You mean the
>> other end of the tenderloin?

> I might be wrong, but (for me) filet mignon "steaks" are from the
> small end of the tenderloin.

I could try buying a beef tenderloin - we buy pork tenderloins pretty
regularly and my wife likes cooking them (and we all like eating them).

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
my wife likes cooking them (and we all like eating them).

You just can't beat that combination

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 May 2013 23:34:16 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Wed, 8 May 2013 18:22:33 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:
>

>>Here's a tip. Go to the restaurant supply place....Cash and Carry,
>>Restaurant Supply, whatever one is near you.
>>Go to the meats section and buy what will be labeled a PEELED BUTT
>>TENDER. You will find it's a pretty good sized
>>piece of meat..... in cryovac. You should be able to buy one at a
>>very very good price per pound. They are fairly large so
>>it will be pricey but totally worth it.
>>
>>Take it home and trim it down yourself. Save the trimmed pieces for
>>stroganoff or stew and cut the rest into steaks and freeze them.

>Sobeys in Ontario occasionally has these on special for ~$9.99/pound.
>One whole chunk would be about $60. I haven't bought one in a while,
>but I think I used to get a dozen or more steaks out of one piece.
>
>I do what you do, and save the trimmings for stew. And the dogs (doG
>rest their little souls) used to get the crappier pieces of trim.

Well what do you know - the Sobeys flyer just landed in my inbox, and
tenderloins are on sale this week!

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/05/2013 8:30 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 May 2013 15:32:06 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>>
>>> But isn't a filet mignon a slice of the tenderloin. You mean the
>>> other end of the tenderloin?

>> I might be wrong, but (for me) filet mignon "steaks" are from the
>> small end of the tenderloin.

> I could try buying a beef tenderloin - we buy pork tenderloins pretty
> regularly and my wife likes cooking them (and we all like eating them).
>
> -

It's usually a pretty good deal, and even more so when they are on sale.
While the filet mignon is actually caught from the thin end there is
nothing wrong with steaks cut from the wide end. The biggest difference
would be the thickness of the cut for a serving. I like the skinny end
because a serving portion is think enough to car the outside and middle
is raw or almost raw. Thin cut tenderloin tend to cook very quickly. I
can handle most other cuts of steak when they are more well done but
once a tenderloin goes pas medium rare it loses flavour and that melt in
your mouth texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/05/2013 10:19 AM, Doris Night wrote:
do what you do, and save the trimmings for stew. And the dogs (doG
>> rest their little souls) used to get the crappier pieces of trim.

> Well what do you know - the Sobeys flyer just landed in my inbox, and
> tenderloins are on sale this week!

Good timing. I usually spread my weekly grocery shopping around and this
week I had planned to go to Sobey's.
I tend to rotate between Sobeys, Zehrs and a local family run place. I
also make weekly trips to Food Basics because they have good produce at
good prices. I also stock up on Shredded Wheat, which is usually $1.50
er box cheaper, and ground espresso, also usually about that much
cheaper than the the other two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:12:28 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 09/05/2013 8:30 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> > sf wrote:

> >> I might be wrong, but (for me) filet mignon "steaks" are from the
> >> small end of the tenderloin.

> > I could try buying a beef tenderloin - we buy pork tenderloins pretty
> > regularly and my wife likes cooking them (and we all like eating them).
> >
> > -

> It's usually a pretty good deal, and even more so when they are on sale.
> While the filet mignon is actually caught from the thin end there is
> nothing wrong with steaks cut from the wide end. The biggest difference
> would be the thickness of the cut for a serving. I like the skinny end
> because a serving portion is think enough to car the outside and middle
> is raw or almost raw. Thin cut tenderloin tend to cook very quickly. I
> can handle most other cuts of steak when they are more well done but
> once a tenderloin goes pas medium rare it loses flavour and that melt in
> your mouth texture.

I thought filet *mignon* comes from the small end, hence the word:
"mignon" (they're smaller steaks) - and "filet" is cut from the rest
of the tenderloin.