texpat

Default Uncooked Spaghetti Sauce

I found a recipe in Bon Appetit about 10 years ago for spaghetti sauce that
was not cooked. Unfortunately, I lost it, and cannot find it at
Epicurious.com

I remember most of the ingredients, but I can't remember proportions, and I
hate to waste the ingedients while experimenting.

The ingredients were fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, chopped garlic, brie, and
olive oil. Maybe salt and pepper? You mixed this and let it set on the
counter for a couple of hours before adding it to hot spaghetti.

Anyone got something like this?

JANIC412

I make this recipe often in the summer and never measure the ingredients, just
go with what looks right and what we like. We like extra basil so in that goes.
We also like mozzarella cheese instead of brie and I do seed the tomatoes. In
a small bowl, mix the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, let it sit
a while for the flavor to blend then pour over the pasta-add the basil and
cheese and it is ready. Jan
JANIC412

I make this recipe often in the summer and never measure the ingredients, just
go with what looks right and what we like. We like extra basil so in that goes.
We also like mozzarella cheese instead of brie and I do seed the tomatoes. In
a small bowl, mix the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, let it sit
a while for the flavor to blend then pour over the pasta-add the basil and
cheese and it is ready. Jan

Sorry:
Forgot to add a good sprinkle of dried red pepper flakes and about 2 TBS. red
wine vinegar added to the olive oil mixture.

Bob (this one)

JANIC412 wrote:

> I make this recipe often in the summer and never measure the ingredients, just
> go with what looks right and what we like. We like extra basil so in that goes.
> We also like mozzarella cheese instead of brie and I do seed the tomatoes. In
> a small bowl, mix the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, let it sit
> a while for the flavor to blend then pour over the pasta-add the basil and
> cheese and it is ready. Jan
>
> Sorry:
> Forgot to add a good sprinkle of dried red pepper flakes and about 2 TBS. red
> wine vinegar added to the olive oil mixture.

We call it "Carla's Tomato Stuff" because my daughter embellished my
old version. We now use tomatoes (usually several different kinds),
onions (blanched to get rid of the raw taste), peppers (ripe for
sweetness), green beans (blanched), mashed and very finely minced
garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary (herbs as chiffonade), olive
oil, balsamic vinegar. S&P. Parmesan or similar.

Depending on the phase of the moon or the spirits abroad in the land,
it may also contain, V-8 juice (once a couple weeks ago), canned diced
tomatoes, hearts of palm, chopped dried tomatoes, red wine, artichoke
hearts, mushrooms, corn (steamed and cut off the cob), cucumbers
(peeled, seeded and cut into sticks).

Now and again, we add something like cubed redskin potatoes for no
good reason except they're around. Asparagus (blanched and cut into
1-inch lengths). Artichoke bottoms (fresh, home cooked). Green plums.
Grapes.

Seafood - any kind. Meats, likewise. Cheeses.

Sometimes over pasta, other times almost as a salad with bread and a
glass of wine. Some fruit.

Pastorio

The Cook

"texpat" > wrote:

>I found a recipe in Bon Appetit about 10 years ago for spaghetti sauce that
>was not cooked. Unfortunately, I lost it, and cannot find it at
>Epicurious.com
>
>I remember most of the ingredients, but I can't remember proportions, and I
>hate to waste the ingedients while experimenting.
>
>The ingredients were fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, chopped garlic, brie, and
>olive oil. Maybe salt and pepper? You mixed this and let it set on the
>counter for a couple of hours before adding it to hot spaghetti.
>
>Anyone got something like this?

Here is one I like.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Salsa Di Pomodori

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pasta

3 tomatoes -- chopped
1/2 cup onion -- chopped
1 tablespoon basil, fresh -- chopped
1 clove garlic -- minced
3/4 pound pasta -- cooked and drained
2 tablespoons butter

Combine tomato, onion, basil & garlic.

Toss pasta with butter.

Add sauce, toss to coat.

Season to taste.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 395 Calories; 7g Fat (16.9%
calories from fat); 12g Protein; 70g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
16mg Cholesterol; 74mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1
Vegetable; 1 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

PENMART01

> "texpat" writes:
>
>I found a recipe in Bon Appetit about 10 years ago for spaghetti sauce that
>was not cooked. Unfortunately, I lost it, and cannot find it at
>Epicurious.com
>
>I remember most of the ingredients, but I can't remember proportions, and I
>hate to waste the ingedients while experimenting.
>
>The ingredients were fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, chopped garlic, brie, and
>olive oil. Maybe salt and pepper? You mixed this and let it set on the
>counter for a couple of hours before adding it to hot spaghetti.
>
>Anyone got something like this?

"Freedom Salsa".

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
PENMART01

> janic412 writes:
>
>I make this recipe often in the summer and never measure the ingredients,
>just
>go with what looks right and what we like. We like extra basil so in that
>goes.
>We also like mozzarella cheese instead of brie

That would be "Dago Salsa".