Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spaghetti Sauce

In my spaghetti sauce I'm trying to find a good ratio of diced tomatoes,
sauce, paste and water.
Here's what I came up with so far (2lbs meat):
28oz diced tomatoes
12oz paste
8oz sauce
1 cup water

I need some ideas on adjustments? I like my sauce a little thick.

Also going to use 1/4 (give or take) cup of Chianti.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 2:16 pm, Scott > wrote:
> In my spaghetti sauce I'm trying to find a good ratio of diced tomatoes,
> sauce, paste and water.
> Here's what I came up with so far (2lbs meat):
> 28oz diced tomatoes
> 12oz paste
> 8oz sauce
> 1 cup water
>
> I need some ideas on adjustments? I like my sauce a little thick.
>
> Also going to use 1/4 (give or take) cup of Chianti.

no herbs, spices, or alliums?

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> no herbs, spices, or alliums?
>
> maxine in ri

2 tbs olive oil
onion ?
4 cloves garlic
1 tbs oregano
1-2 tbs basil
2 tbs parsley ?
1-2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 1:35 pm, Scott > wrote:
> > no herbs, spices, or alliums?

> > maxine in ri

> 2 tbs olive oil

Good.

> onion ?

Why onion? It's not just you, but so many people put onion in
*everything*.

> 4 cloves garlic

Garlic is nice.

> 1 tbs oregano
> 1-2 tbs basil
> 2 tbs parsley ?

Try bay leaves instead of the 3 above.

> 1-2 tsp sugar

No sugar.

> 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Red pepper is nice to have on the table so people can add as they
please.
Also, omit the canned "sauce." Otherwise you are letting some food
conglomerate decide what "natural flavors" it should have.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message

>> no herbs, spices, or alliums?
>>
>> maxine in ri
>>

> 2 tbs olive oil
> onion ?
> 4 cloves garlic
> 1 tbs oregano
> 1-2 tbs basil
> 2 tbs parsley ?
> 1-2 tsp sugar
> 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Perk this up with the mystery herb: 1 teaspoon fennel seed. It can go in
first if long cooking or sprinkle some fennel leaf herb on just a few
minutes before serving. Magic!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
> On Jun 28, 1:35 pm, Scott > wrote:
>>> no herbs, spices, or alliums?
>>> maxine in ri

>> 2 tbs olive oil

> Good.
>
>> onion ?

> Why onion? It's not just you, but so many people put onion in
> *everything*.

So do I, I just don't know how much yet but I'm not worry about that.

>> 1 tbs oregano
>> 1-2 tbs basil
>> 2 tbs parsley ?

> Try bay leaves instead of the 3 above.

How about a bay leave with the above 3

>> 1-2 tsp sugar

> No sugar.

Need sugar to reduce acidity.

> Also, omit the canned "sauce." Otherwise you are letting some food
> conglomerate decide what "natural flavors" it should have.

That's what I'm pondering over the most.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:16:13 -0500, Scott > wrote:

>In my spaghetti sauce I'm trying to find a good ratio of diced tomatoes,
>sauce, paste and water.
>Here's what I came up with so far (2lbs meat):
>28oz diced tomatoes
>12oz paste
>8oz sauce
>1 cup water
>
>I need some ideas on adjustments? I like my sauce a little thick.
>
>Also going to use 1/4 (give or take) cup of Chianti.

I made almost exactly that last night. I used 12 oz sauce and no
water. I like it thick, too, and there's plenty of liquid in the
tomatoes. I added 3 heaping tsp of Italian seasoning and 2 tsp salt to
the meat after browning and let the spices roast a little before
adding the tomatoes. Never tried red wine. Might have to give that a
shot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Joneses wrote:
> "Scott" > wrote in message
>>> no herbs, spices, or alliums?
>>>
>>> maxine in ri
>>>

>> 2 tbs olive oil
>> onion ?
>> 4 cloves garlic
>> 1 tbs oregano
>> 1-2 tbs basil
>> 2 tbs parsley ?
>> 1-2 tsp sugar
>> 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

> Perk this up with the mystery herb: 1 teaspoon fennel seed. It can go in
> first if long cooking or sprinkle some fennel leaf herb on just a few
> minutes before serving. Magic!
> Edrena

At one time I did consider that but I don't like the liquorice flavor of
fennel seed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 2:01 pm, Scott > wrote:
> BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
> >> 2 tbs olive oil

> > Good.

> >> onion ?

> > Why onion? It's not just you, but so many people put onion in
> > *everything*.

> So do I, I just don't know how much yet but I'm not worry about that.
>

> >> 1 tbs oregano
> >> 1-2 tbs basil
> >> 2 tbs parsley ?

> > Try bay leaves instead of the 3 above.

> How about a bay leave with the above 3

At least reduce the amount of basil to maybe 1t.

> >> 1-2 tsp sugar

> > No sugar.

> Need sugar to reduce acidity.

Sugar doesn't really reduce pH. I find that extra simmering cuts the
acid bite.

> > Also, omit the canned "sauce." Otherwise you are letting some food
> > conglomerate decide what "natural flavors" it should have.

> That's what I'm pondering over the most.

Yeah, leave out the sauce.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> In my spaghetti sauce I'm trying to find a good ratio of diced tomatoes,
> sauce, paste and water.
> Here's what I came up with so far (2lbs meat):
> 28oz diced tomatoes
> 12oz paste
> 8oz sauce
> 1 cup water
>
> I need some ideas on adjustments? I like my sauce a little thick.
>
> Also going to use 1/4 (give or take) cup of Chianti.

One thing I almost forgot is I was looking at Olive Garden's recipe for
spaghetti sauce (copykat.com) and noticed they use grape jelly.
Has anyone try this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott said...

> Scott wrote:
>> In my spaghetti sauce I'm trying to find a good ratio of diced tomatoes,
>> sauce, paste and water.
>> Here's what I came up with so far (2lbs meat):
>> 28oz diced tomatoes
>> 12oz paste
>> 8oz sauce
>> 1 cup water
>>
>> I need some ideas on adjustments? I like my sauce a little thick.
>>
>> Also going to use 1/4 (give or take) cup of Chianti.

> One thing I almost forgot is I was looking at Olive Garden's recipe for
> spaghetti sauce (copykat.com) and noticed they use grape jelly.
> Has anyone try this?

Here's a recipe for marinara by Lidia Bastianich.

http://leitesculinaria.com/recipes/c...ara_sauce.html

I saw her make this on her show and it looks absolutely delicious. She did
say the secret was to use the San Marzano tomatoes ("makes all the
difference"). It's a meatless sauce.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 2:50 pm, BOBOBOnoBO® > wrote:
> On Jun 28, 1:35 pm, Scott > wrote:
>
> > > no herbs, spices, or alliums?

> > > maxine in ri

> > 2 tbs olive oil

> Good.
>
> > onion ?

> Why onion? It's not just you, but so many people put onion in
> *everything*.

Onion is good, and works and plays well with others.

Would you like my onion chutney recipe?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Onion is good, and works and plays well with others.

Only when cook...not raw. My father used to make mashed potatoes with
raw onions. Not Good!!

> Would you like my onion chutney recipe?

Go ahead
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> In my spaghetti sauce I'm trying to find a good ratio of diced tomatoes,
> sauce, paste and water.
> Here's what I came up with so far (2lbs meat):
> 28oz diced tomatoes
> 12oz paste
> 8oz sauce
> 1 cup water
>
> I need some ideas on adjustments? I like my sauce a little thick.
>
> Also going to use 1/4 (give or take) cup of Chianti.

Well, it's a no brainer... don't cut back on the dago red... omit the
water instead. I think 12 ounces of paste is too much, by at least
twice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote on Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:59:41 -0500:

??>> Scott wrote:
??>>
??>> One thing I almost forgot is I was looking at Olive
??>> Garden's recipe for spaghetti sauce (copykat.com) and
??>> noticed they use grape jelly. Has anyone try this?

A> Here's a recipe for marinara by Lidia Bastianich.

http://leitesculinaria.com/recipes/c...ara_sauce.html

A> I saw her make this on her show and it looks absolutely
A> delicious. She did say the secret was to use the San Marzano
A> tomatoes ("makes all the difference"). It's a meatless
A> sauce.

Here is another one that only looks good but is my standard
marinara.

Marinara Pasta Sauce

Instructions

Here is a marinara sauce from "Bugialli on Pasta" (Giuliano
Bugialli; 1988, New York, Simon and Schuster.) In Italy
"Marinara" is simply tomatoes and garlic cooked in oil.
Supposedly, fishermen made the sauce when they needed something
quick and easy. More likely, their ladies put it together when
the hungry guys came home after their normal wasted day but the
essence of the thing is that it is quick! I think it tastes best
if the cooking is not protracted.

Ingredients

(6 servings)

4 Ig Cloves garlic, crushed

2 lb tomatoes (or same amount canned) but use Plum Tomatoes if
at all possible for taste and texture.

Leaves of 20 large sprigs Parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Possible additions, IMHO, they are necessary:

1 tsp thyme,

Few leaves of basil,

1 tsp or much more oregano,

½ cup chopped onion,

1 tab vinegar

Marinara Sauce Directions:

1) Finely chop the garlic and coarsely chop the parsley.

2) Heat oil over medium heat and sauté chopped ingredients
for about two minutes, without permitting them to color too
much. .

3) Cut fresh tomatoes into 1-inch pieces. Add either fresh
or canned tomatoes to the pan and cook for 25 minutes or less,
stirring occasionally.

4) "Pass contents of pan through a food mill, using disc
with the smallest holes". (Option: omit the food mill step if
you prefer tomato "chunks.") Who's got a food mill anyway; use
a processor. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

5) Reduce sauce over medium heat for 10 minutes.

6) At this point, if the fisherman have not been wasting
their time, sautéed fish (or chicken if they have) may be added.
Serve over spaghetti, gnocchi, polenta etc

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Here's a recipe for marinara by Lidia Bastianich.
>
> http://leitesculinaria.com/recipes/c...ara_sauce.html
>
> I saw her make this on her show and it looks absolutely delicious. She did
> say the secret was to use the San Marzano tomatoes ("makes all the
> difference"). It's a meatless sauce.
>
> Andy

They do make a difference. That recipe is pretty much how I make
marinara only not so much basil and sometimes adding onion. I also like
the chunkiness by breaking the tomatoes up with your hands as she
described.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <g> wrote in message ...

> Here's a recipe for marinara by Lidia Bastianich.
>
> http://leitesculinaria.com/recipes/c...ara_sauce.html
>
> I saw her make this on her show and it looks absolutely delicious. She did
> say the secret was to use the San Marzano tomatoes ("makes all the
> difference"). It's a meatless sauce.
>
> Andy

Thanks for this marinara sauce, Andy. I've been using my take on Leone's for
a millyun years but I think I'll give this a try.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 3:59 pm, Andy <g> wrote:
> Scott said...
>

> > Scott wrote:
> >> In my spaghetti sauce I'm trying to find a good ratio of diced tomatoes,
> >> sauce, paste and water.
> >> Here's what I came up with so far (2lbs meat):
> >> 28oz diced tomatoes
> >> 12oz paste
> >> 8oz sauce
> >> 1 cup water

> >> I need some ideas on adjustments? I like my sauce a little thick.

> >> Also going to use 1/4 (give or take) cup of Chianti.

> > One thing I almost forgot is I was looking at Olive Garden's recipe for
> > spaghetti sauce (copykat.com) and noticed they use grape jelly.
> > Has anyone try this?

> Here's a recipe for marinara by Lidia Bastianich.
>
> http://leitesculinaria.com/recipes/c...ara_sauce.html
>
> I saw her make this on her show and it looks absolutely delicious. She did
> say the secret was to use the San Marzano tomatoes ("makes all the
> difference"). It's a meatless sauce.
>
> Andy- Hide quoted text -

THANKS EVER SO! I have all the ingredients including the San Marzano
tomatoes; and basil ready to pick.

BTW, although red wine is my preference (not white), I cannot abide
any dish that includes red wine. Yes, I've wasted good wine in
recipes, too many to count.

To me, it gives a cloudy, musty taste that reduces everything to a
common taste. Yes, I have followed recipes calling for wine, used
good wine that I would drink.
It is just one of those tastes I don't like or order on the menu.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 5:04 pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Andy wrote on Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:59:41 -0500:
>
> ??>> Scott wrote:
>
> ??>>
> ??>> One thing I almost forgot is I was looking at Olive
> ??>> Garden's recipe for spaghetti sauce (copykat.com) and
> ??>> noticed they use grape jelly. Has anyone try this?
>
> A> Here's a recipe for marinara by Lidia Bastianich.
>
> A>http://leitesculinaria.com/recipes/c...ara_sauce.html
>
> A> I saw her make this on her show and it looks absolutely
> A> delicious. She did say the secret was to use the San Marzano
> A> tomatoes ("makes all the difference"). It's a meatless
> A> sauce.
>
> Here is another one that only looks good but is my standard
> marinara.
>
> Marinara Pasta Sauce
>
> Instructions
>
> Here is a marinara sauce from "Bugialli on Pasta" (Giuliano
> Bugialli; 1988, New York, Simon and Schuster.) In Italy
> "Marinara" is simply tomatoes and garlic cooked in oil.
> Supposedly, fishermen made the sauce when they needed something
> quick and easy. More likely, their ladies put it together when
> the hungry guys came home after their normal wasted day but the
> essence of the thing is that it is quick! I think it tastes best
> if the cooking is not protracted.

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

I love this book, James; the 1988 version. I checked this out at the
library maybe a year or so ago. Then I bought it.

I prefer it to his other books; but there is a new one I'd like to
purchase, but not in my price range yet.
"Guiliano Bugialli's Food of Naples and Campania"
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:01:21 -0500, Scott > wrote:

>BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
>>> 2 tbs olive oil

>> Good.
>>
>>> onion ?

>> Why onion? It's not just you, but so many people put onion in
>> *everything*.

>So do I, I just don't know how much yet but I'm not worry about that.
>

>>> 1 tbs oregano
>>> 1-2 tbs basil
>>> 2 tbs parsley ?

>> Try bay leaves instead of the 3 above.

>How about a bay leave with the above 3

It's up to you. Personally I don't use bay, but you could (in
moderation). I'd nix the parsley though. It brings nothing to the
table AFAIC.

>>> 1-2 tsp sugar

>> No sugar.

>Need sugar to reduce acidity.

Wait until you've added all the spices and tomato paste to make that
decision. There is nothing worse than sweet tomato sauce.

>> Also, omit the canned "sauce." Otherwise you are letting some food
>> conglomerate decide what "natural flavors" it should have.
>>

>That's what I'm pondering over the most.

Stick with the paste. You'll use it mainly to thicken your sauce.
I'd add the sugar after the paste because reduced tomatoes are sweet.
Tomato sauce doesn't bring anything to the table either, so don't
bother with it.... or use it as an extender.

Some people love garlic, some hate it.... I think there's never
enough, so a tomato sauce without garlic isn't complete for me.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:19:09 -0700, BOBOBOnoBO® >
wrote:

>At least reduce the amount of basil to maybe 1t.

I'd use fresh basil if it was available - and lots of it... when using
all dried herbs, I use more oregano than basil.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> It's up to you. Personally I don't use bay, but you could (in
> moderation). I'd nix the parsley though. It brings nothing to the
> table AFAIC.

..
Sorry, I have to disagree with that. Parsley adds a lot of flavor,
surprisingly. My grandma made the best sauce in the world, and her
secret(at least one of them) was parsley, lots of it. This was a
subject when I first started posting here, and Bob Pastorio
recommended using the stems as they had more flavor. So when I make
sauce, I use the whole bunch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> I prefer it to his other books; but there is a new one I'd like to
> purchase, but not in my price range yet.
> "Guiliano Bugialli's Food of Naples and Campania"

It is a lovely book! My brother gave it to me for Christmas last year.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
>> It's up to you. Personally I don't use bay, but you could (in
>> moderation). I'd nix the parsley though. It brings nothing to the
>> table AFAIC.

> .
> Sorry, I have to disagree with that. Parsley adds a lot of flavor,
> surprisingly. My grandma made the best sauce in the world, and her
> secret(at least one of them) was parsley, lots of it. This was a
> subject when I first started posting here, and Bob Pastorio
> recommended using the stems as they had more flavor. So when I make
> sauce, I use the whole bunch.

I also use a lot of parsley (Italian leaf, preferred) in my meatballs,
sauce, salads, etc. I think it makes a huge difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 said...

> merryb wrote:
>>> It's up to you. Personally I don't use bay, but you could (in
>>> moderation). I'd nix the parsley though. It brings nothing to the
>>> table AFAIC.

>> .
>> Sorry, I have to disagree with that. Parsley adds a lot of flavor,
>> surprisingly. My grandma made the best sauce in the world, and her
>> secret(at least one of them) was parsley, lots of it. This was a
>> subject when I first started posting here, and Bob Pastorio
>> recommended using the stems as they had more flavor. So when I make
>> sauce, I use the whole bunch.

> I also use a lot of parsley (Italian leaf, preferred) in my meatballs,
> sauce, salads, etc. I think it makes a huge difference.

Parsley also works a little magic in saffron rice.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:01:21 -0500, Scott > wrote:
>
>>BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
>>>
>>> Good.

>>> Why onion? It's not just you, but so many people put onion in
>>> *everything*.

>>So do I, I just don't know how much yet but I'm not worry about that.

>>> Try bay leaves instead of the 3 above.

>>How about a bay leave with the above 3
>>>

> It's up to you. Personally I don't use bay, but you could (in
> moderation). I'd nix the parsley though. It brings nothing to the
> table AFAIC.

I would call parsley the anti-meat.

One time I made the mistake of criticizing meatballs, seasoned with parsley,
in front of a group of vegetarians. It got pretty ugly.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> >> 1-2 tsp sugar

> > No sugar.

> Need sugar to reduce acidity.

Sugar doesn't really reduce pH. I find that extra simmering cuts the
acid bite.

I think you meant to say "raise" the pH. The lower the pH, the more acidic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott > wrote:
>In my spaghetti sauce I'm trying to find a good ratio of diced tomatoes,
>sauce, paste and water.
>Here's what I came up with so far (2lbs meat):
>28oz diced tomatoes
>12oz paste

Whoa.

>8oz sauce

Huh?

>1 cup water
>
>I need some ideas on adjustments? I like my sauce a little thick.

Ya think?

>Also going to use 1/4 (give or take) cup of Chianti.

Are the tomatoes fresh or canned? Canned bring a lot of water.
That plus the cup of water could explain your two-cans-of-paste
thing.

I go about half a can of paste per 14-oz can of tomatoes,
and let it cook down a bit.

The other thing you should do is add some of the water from
the cooked pasta to the sauce. 3-6 tbs per can of tomatoes.
The starch in that water will bind with the sauce and thicken
it up within a few minutes. Just enough time for the pasta
to sit in it and soak up sauce.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <g> wrote:
>I saw her make this on her show and it looks absolutely delicious. She did
>say the secret was to use the San Marzano tomatoes ("makes all the
>difference"). It's a meatless sauce.

I've used canned San Marzanos, and San Marzano passata
(puree), and while they're good, they're only as good
as a good batch of domestic tomatoes. They may be more
consistently good, but I've only used them a few times.

The last batch of cans of store-brand diced tomatoes I got
at the Safeway a few weeks ago have been as good as the
San Marzanos I've tried. And they cost a small fraction
as much.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott > wrote:
>1-2 tsp sugar

If you need sugar, you have bad tomatoes.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb > wrote:
>Sorry, I have to disagree with that. Parsley adds a lot of flavor,
>surprisingly. My grandma made the best sauce in the world, and her
>secret(at least one of them) was parsley, lots of it. This was a
>subject when I first started posting here, and Bob Pastorio
>recommended using the stems as they had more flavor. So when I make
>sauce, I use the whole bunch.

This stuff makes sauce taste like sauce:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...alianherb.html

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Joneses > wrote:
>Perk this up with the mystery herb: 1 teaspoon fennel seed. It can go in

Yes! Sauce needs fennel seed! Give it a quick grind in a
mortar, or just crack it by rubbing a bunch in your fingers
(takes some tough fingers).

>first if long cooking or sprinkle some fennel leaf herb on just a few
>minutes before serving. Magic!

I've also been known to add a half tbs of balsamic vinegar.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:32:23 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>merryb wrote:
>>> It's up to you. Personally I don't use bay, but you could (in
>>> moderation). I'd nix the parsley though. It brings nothing to the
>>> table AFAIC.

>> .
>> Sorry, I have to disagree with that. Parsley adds a lot of flavor,
>> surprisingly. My grandma made the best sauce in the world, and her
>> secret(at least one of them) was parsley, lots of it. This was a
>> subject when I first started posting here, and Bob Pastorio
>> recommended using the stems as they had more flavor. So when I make
>> sauce, I use the whole bunch.

>I also use a lot of parsley (Italian leaf, preferred) in my meatballs,
>sauce, salads, etc. I think it makes a huge difference.

I can't agree less. The only parsley worth bothering with is parsley
freshly snipped from your garden (I grow both kinds and prefer "curly"
because it has more flavor) but I still don't think parsley has a
place in tomato sauce - although I do love it in white wine & butter
sauces.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 03:20:25 GMT, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

>I would call parsley the anti-meat.
>
>One time I made the mistake of criticizing meatballs, seasoned with parsley,
>in front of a group of vegetarians. It got pretty ugly.

Now *that's* funny! Why would vegetarians have anything to say at all
to your criticism about the composition of a meat product?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> but I still don't think parsley has a place in tomato
> sauce - although I do love it in white wine & butter
> sauces.

A restaurant near here serves a wonderful revisited "arrabbiata": they
sautee some chopped garlic in olive oil then add tomato sauce, red hot
peppers, black ground pepper and parsley, and cook it about half an hour. It
goes against the belief that parsley should never be cooked (somebody
believes it is even hazardous for health), but it is simply wonderful.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 4:50 pm, Scott > wrote:
> > Onion is good, and works and plays well with others.

> Only when cook...not raw.

I'm that way about green peppers. Raw, please, or only lightly
sauteed.
Cooked to a khaki mush? No thanks.

>My father used to make mashed potatoes with raw onions. Not Good!!
>

> > Would you like my onion chutney recipe?

> Go ahead

Raw Onion Chutney

1 jumbo sweet onion, chopped finely
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tsp red chile powder (e.g., cayenne)
salt to taste

Add the vinegar to the onions. (You may prefer to hold back on some
of the
vinegar until you see how much you like in this dish.) Mix in the
chile and salt. Put mixture in refrigerator for an hour or four to
meld flavors.

This chutney doesn't keep well; try to use it in a few days.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Are the tomatoes fresh or canned? Canned bring a lot of water.
> That plus the cup of water could explain your two-cans-of-paste
> thing.

Hunts canned diced tomatoes.

> The other thing you should do is add some of the water from
> the cooked pasta to the sauce. 3-6 tbs per can of tomatoes.
> The starch in that water will bind with the sauce and thicken
> it up within a few minutes. Just enough time for the pasta
> to sit in it and soak up sauce.

I never heard that before but I'm going to try it.

Here's what I'm going to do then, start out with 28oz tomatoes
(undrained) and 6oz paste then make any adjustments if needed after an
hour or so. I would add more paste before adding canned sauce which is
my last resort.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Raw Onion Chutney
>
> 1 jumbo sweet onion, chopped finely
> 2 tablespoons white vinegar
> 1 tsp red chile powder (e.g., cayenne)
> salt to taste
>

> Add the vinegar to the onions. (You may prefer to hold back on some
> of the
> vinegar until you see how much you like in this dish.) Mix in the
> chile and salt. Put mixture in refrigerator for an hour or four to
> meld flavors.
>
> This chutney doesn't keep well; try to use it in a few days.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

At least the vinegar will soften up the onion.
What can I use this on? It doesn't look like it can be enjoy alone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 29, 1:14 am, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
> merryb > wrote:
> >Sorry, I have to disagree with that. Parsley adds a lot of flavor,
> >surprisingly. My grandma made the best sauce in the world, and her
> >secret(at least one of them) was parsley, lots of it. This was a
> >subject when I first started posting here, and Bob Pastorio
> >recommended using the stems as they had more flavor. So when I make
> >sauce, I use the whole bunch.

> This stuff makes sauce taste like sauce:
>
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...alianherb.html
>
> --Blair

Just to offer another opinion; this was included as free in a package
I ordered. I never liked it; I used it several ways. The last times
I used it in bread and pizza dough. It just didn't sit right with
me. Sort of like Emeril's first -or last- -or only - seasoning.
There is something that reminds me of 'swill.' But I don't want to
argue with those who like Emeril's; they can offer there own
testimonials. ;-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 29, 1:20 am, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
> The Joneses > wrote:
> >Perk this up with the mystery herb: 1 teaspoon fennel seed. It can go in

> Yes! Sauce needs fennel seed! Give it a quick grind in a
> mortar, or just crack it by rubbing a bunch in your fingers
> (takes some tough fingers).
>
> >first if long cooking or sprinkle some fennel leaf herb on just a few
> >minutes before serving. Magic!

> I've also been known to add a half tbs of balsamic vinegar.
>
> --Blair

I love fennel seed in spaghetti 'sometimes.' A girl years ago invited
me to her home where they were all FROM Chicago. I wondered what that
wonderful different taste was. She said that people from Chicago use
fennel in their Spaghetti Sauce. That's always stuck in my mind, but
never have I heard it since.
Dee Dee

WIP - Spaghetti Sauce Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 18 11-03-2010 12:41 AM
Spaghetti Sauce Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 30-11-2006 01:09 PM
Spaghetti Sauce gfulton Preserving 11 10-08-2005 01:08 AM
spaghetti sauce Tim Recipes 0 26-09-2004 12:53 AM
Spaghetti Sauce [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-04-2004 03:27 AM