Old 15-08-2004, 11:59 PM
jmcquown

Default Too Small for Large?

Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no farmer's
co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them in the grocery
stores near me.

I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure they
aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance, random
checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be quite a bit
smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any idea why?

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Old 16-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Wayne

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no
farmer's co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them
in the grocery stores near me.

I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure
they aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance,
random checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be
quite a bit smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any
idea why?

Jill

LOL Like everything else, the product shrinks, the price stays the same!

Seriously, yes, I've noticed this from time to time. I've also seen
"mixed" sizes in the same carton. I assume, in that case, that the store
may have removed broken eggs and replaced them from another carton of not
the same size eggs.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Old 16-08-2004, 12:15 AM
jmcquown

Wayne wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no
farmer's co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen
them in the grocery stores near me.

I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure
they aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance,
random checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be
quite a bit smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this?
Any idea why?

Jill

LOL Like everything else, the product shrinks, the price stays the
same! G

Seriously, yes, I've noticed this from time to time. I've also seen
"mixed" sizes in the same carton. I assume, in that case, that the
store may have removed broken eggs and replaced them from another
carton of not the same size eggs.

I remember the thread about that. However, these were all uniformly small
large eggs LOL

Jill

Old 16-08-2004, 12:15 AM
jmcquown

Wayne wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Old 16-08-2004, 12:15 AM
jmcquown

Wayne wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Old 16-08-2004, 12:20 AM
Puester

jmcquown wrote:

Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no farmer's
co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them in the grocery
stores near me.

I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure they
aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance, random
checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be quite a bit
smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any idea why?

Jill
--

Yes. In the past month or two the jumbo eggs I usually
buy have been much smaller than usual. I suspect it's

They have been smaller enough to make me wonder if they
change the size grading criteria during the summer.

gloria p

Old 16-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Wayne

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Wayne wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

I can't guess other than they were either mislabeled, or a whole shipment
was just smaller. I don't really think there's been a general down-
sizing.

Old 16-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Wayne

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Wayne wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Old 16-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Steve Calvin

jmcquown wrote:
Wayne wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

snip
I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure
they aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance,
random checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be
quite a bit smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this?
Any idea why?

Jill

I buy jumbo eggs (I don't bake). And yes, I've noticed lately they
aren't as large as they used to be. No clue why. Seems to me that what
they now call jumbo, I'd call extra large.

--
Steve

Whose cruel idea was it for the word "lisp" to have an "s" in it?

Old 16-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Steve Calvin

jmcquown wrote:
Wayne wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

snip

Old 16-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Steve Calvin

jmcquown wrote:
Wayne wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

snip

Old 16-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Orion

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...
Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no farmer's
co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them in the

grocery
stores near me.

I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure they
aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance, random
checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be quite a bit
smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any idea why?

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

I've been noticing this for awhile. Now I buy extra large or jumbo as large
eggs. It's a ****er, for sure.

Suzan