FoodBanter.com

-   -   Too Small for Large? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/31491-too-small-large.html)

jmcquown 15-08-2004 11:59 PM

Too Small for Large?

Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no farmer's
co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them in the grocery
stores near me.

I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure they
aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance, random
checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be quite a bit
smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any idea why?

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Wayne 16-08-2004 12:09 AM

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no
> farmer's co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them
> in the grocery stores near me.
>
> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure
> they aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance,
> random checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be
> quite a bit smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any
> idea why?
>
> Jill

LOL Like everything else, the product shrinks, the price stays the same!
<G>

Seriously, yes, I've noticed this from time to time. I've also seen
"mixed" sizes in the same carton. I assume, in that case, that the store
may have removed broken eggs and replaced them from another carton of not
the same size eggs.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne 16-08-2004 12:09 AM

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

jmcquown 16-08-2004 12:15 AM

Wayne wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no
>> farmer's co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen
>> them in the grocery stores near me.
>>
>> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure
>> they aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance,
>> random checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be
>> quite a bit smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this?
>> Any idea why?
>>
>> Jill

> LOL Like everything else, the product shrinks, the price stays the
> same! <G>
>
> Seriously, yes, I've noticed this from time to time. I've also seen
> "mixed" sizes in the same carton. I assume, in that case, that the
> store may have removed broken eggs and replaced them from another
> carton of not the same size eggs.

I remember the thread about that. However, these were all uniformly small
large eggs LOL

Jill

jmcquown 16-08-2004 12:15 AM

jmcquown 16-08-2004 12:15 AM

Puester 16-08-2004 12:20 AM

jmcquown wrote:

> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no farmer's
> co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them in the grocery
> stores near me.
>
> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure they
> aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance, random
> checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be quite a bit
> smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any idea why?
>
> Jill
> --

Yes. In the past month or two the jumbo eggs I usually
buy have been much smaller than usual. I suspect it's
the heat of summer that affects the size. Either that
or the age/maturity of the laying hens.

They have been smaller enough to make me wonder if they
change the size grading criteria during the summer.

gloria p

Puester 16-08-2004 12:20 AM

Puester 16-08-2004 12:20 AM

Wayne 16-08-2004 12:26 AM

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no
>>> farmer's co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen
>>> them in the grocery stores near me.
>>>
>>> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make
>>> sure they aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single
>>> instance, random checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs
>>> appear to be quite a bit smaller than usual. Has anyone else run
>>> across this? Any idea why?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> LOL Like everything else, the product shrinks, the price stays the
>> same! <G>
>>
>> Seriously, yes, I've noticed this from time to time. I've also seen
>> "mixed" sizes in the same carton. I assume, in that case, that the
>> store may have removed broken eggs and replaced them from another
>> carton of not the same size eggs.

> I remember the thread about that. However, these were all uniformly
> small large eggs LOL
>
> Jill

I can't guess other than they were either mislabeled, or a whole shipment
was just smaller. I don't really think there's been a general down-
sizing.

Wayne 16-08-2004 12:26 AM

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

Steve Calvin 16-08-2004 12:35 AM

jmcquown wrote:
> Wayne wrote:
>
>>"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

<snip>
>>>I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure
>>>they aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance,
>>>random checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be
>>>quite a bit smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this?
>>>Any idea why?
>>>
>>>Jill

I buy jumbo eggs (I don't bake). And yes, I've noticed lately they
aren't as large as they used to be. No clue why. Seems to me that what
they now call jumbo, I'd call extra large.

--
Steve

Whose cruel idea was it for the word "lisp" to have an "s" in it?

Steve Calvin 16-08-2004 12:35 AM

jmcquown wrote:
> Wayne wrote:
>
>>"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

<snip>

Steve Calvin 16-08-2004 12:35 AM

jmcquown wrote:
> Wayne wrote:
>
>>"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

<snip>

Orion 16-08-2004 12:37 AM

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no farmer's
> co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them in the

grocery
> stores near me.
>
> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure they
> aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance, random
> checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be quite a bit
> smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any idea why?
>
> Jill
> --
> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

I've been noticing this for awhile. Now I buy extra large or jumbo as large
eggs. It's a ****er, for sure.

Suzan

Orion 16-08-2004 12:37 AM

George 16-08-2004 12:43 AM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no farmer's
> co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them in the

grocery
> stores near me.
>
> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure they
> aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance, random
> checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be quite a bit
> smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any idea why?
>
> Jill
> --
> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

I have noticed that the egg cartons always have a net weight noted. It
seems eggs are sold by weight (eg, large eggs must weigh at least
24ozs/dozen according to USDA) and not size.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/poultry/pdfs/AMS-EggSt-1995.pdf

I wonder if eggs are denser (thus smaller) in hot weather?

George 16-08-2004 12:43 AM

George 16-08-2004 12:43 AM

Arri London 16-08-2004 12:45 AM

jmcquown wrote:

> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no farmer's
> co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them in the grocery
> stores near me.
>
> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure they
> aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance, random
> checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be quite a bit
> smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any idea why?
>
> Jill
> --
> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

That happened quite some time back. I was doubtful until I compared some
'large' eggs with some 'pysanky' painted eggs I did years ago. Those too
were 'large' eggs when I bought them, but they are certainly larger than
what passes for large eggs now.

Arri London 16-08-2004 12:45 AM

Wayne 16-08-2004 12:47 AM

"George" > wrote in
:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no
>> farmer's co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen
>> them in the

> grocery
>> stores near me.
>>
>> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure
>> they aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance,
>> random checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be
>> quite a bit smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this?
>> Any idea why?
>>
>> Jill
>> --
>> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.
>>

> I have noticed that the egg cartons always have a net weight noted.
> It seems eggs are sold by weight (eg, large eggs must weigh at least
> 24ozs/dozen according to USDA) and not size.
>
> http://www.ams.usda.gov/poultry/pdfs/AMS-EggSt-1995.pdf
>
> I wonder if eggs are denser (thus smaller) in hot weather?

Good point, George. That might very well be it.

Wayne 16-08-2004 12:47 AM

"George" > wrote in
:

Wayne 16-08-2004 12:47 AM

"George" > wrote in
:

Mama2EandJ 16-08-2004 12:57 AM

>>> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure
>>> they aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance,
>>> random checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be
>>> quite a bit smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this?
>>> Any idea why?
>>>
>>> Jill
>>> --
>>> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.
>>>

>> I have noticed that the egg cartons always have a net weight noted.
>> It seems eggs are sold by weight (eg, large eggs must weigh at least
>> 24ozs/dozen according to USDA) and not size.
>>
>> http://www.ams.usda.gov/poultry/pdfs/AMS-EggSt-1995.pdf
>>
>> I wonder if eggs are denser (thus smaller) in hot weather?

You guys are too nice! I found the same thing and I just assumed that some
customer wanted some larger eggs, so switched some of the eggs into a medium
sized egg carton and paid the lesser price! (Hanging head in shame for being
so suspicious)

Mama2EandJ 16-08-2004 12:57 AM

GoombaP 16-08-2004 01:22 AM

We buy plain old eggs here in Korea (no different sizes are available) and
they are sometimes a bit too large to fit in Jumbo cartons. And they're
delicious!

GoombaP 16-08-2004 01:22 AM

Darkginger 16-08-2004 07:09 AM

"George" > wrote

> I wonder if eggs are denser (thus smaller) in hot weather?

I can't say that I've noticed our eggs getting smaller when it's warm (I
keep chickens) - although having said that, it never gets THAT warm in
Ireland! I have noticed that perhaps they (the eggs) get a bit thinner - but
longer too, which makes up for it - more 'squeezed' looking. If anything,
I'd expect eggs to get bigger as the season progresses - but that's just
because we re-stock in April/May and so our point-of-lay chickens make the
transition from pullets to hens during May/June.

Jill, I feel really sorry that you're not able to get hold of free range
eggs - they're just so much nicer in taste and appearance than battery
ones - perhaps if you ask often enough at your local supermarket they might
start stocking them?

Jo

---

Darkginger 16-08-2004 07:09 AM

"George" > wrote

jmcquown 16-08-2004 12:36 PM

Orion wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no
>> farmer's co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen
>> them in the grocery stores near me.
>>
>> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make
>> sure they aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single
>> instance, random checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs
>> appear to be quite a bit smaller than usual. Has anyone else run
>> across this? Any idea why?
>>
>> Jill
>> --
>> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.
>>

> I've been noticing this for awhile. Now I buy extra large or jumbo
> as large eggs. It's a ****er, for sure.
>
> Suzan

Indeed. The extra large and jumbo bring a greater price at the store. I'm
not a subscriber to conspiracy theories but... hmmm ;)

Jill

jmcquown 16-08-2004 12:36 PM

PENMART01 16-08-2004 02:02 PM

>"jmcquown" writes:
>
>>Orion wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" wrote:
>>>
>>> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make
>>> sure they aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single
>>> instance, random checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs
>>> appear to be quite a bit smaller than usual. Has anyone else run
>>> across this? Any idea why?
>>>

>> I've been noticing this for awhile. Now I buy extra large or jumbo
>> as large eggs.
>> Suzan

>Indeed. The extra large and jumbo bring a greater price at the store. I'm
>not a subscriber to conspiracy theories but... hmmm ;)

Yoose are just getting old... need yer eyes examined... in the US eggs are
actually sold by weight, with the larger eggs generally commanding a premium
price... a dozen Large eggs are the same size they've always been, 1 1/2 pounds
a dozen. I buy eggs by weight to price... Med. eggs are most often the best
buy. The only conspiracy is that of the consumers conspiring against
themselves, by demanding Large eggs regardless of price per dozen... because
that's what their stoopid recipes say... and they don't cook well enough to
know to interpolate and substitute. Commercial bakeries buy the smallest eggs
(and pay the least per pound) because their recipes indicate eggs by volume.

American Egg Board

Sizes are classified according to minimum net weight expressed in ounces per
dozen.

Jumbo 30 oz.., Extra Large 27 oz., Large 24 oz., Medium 21 oz., Small 18 oz.
and Peewee 15 oz.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01 16-08-2004 02:02 PM

PENMART01 16-08-2004 02:02 PM

Ariane Jenkins 16-08-2004 06:25 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:59:15 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:
> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no farmer's
> co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them in the grocery
> stores near me.
>
> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure they
> aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance, random
> checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be quite a bit
> smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any idea why?

I've had the same experience, but the difference in size
doesn't appear to be consistent. When I've bought cartons from
different sources, one Extra Large will definitely look smaller on
average than the other. No idea why. I always assumed that grading/packing
was not a foolproof process and that there'd be natural variation in size.

Oh, and I'd be surprised if there were genuinely no free-range
eggs to be found near you. Wild Oats would certainly carry them, and
they're generally found in many natural/organic health food places.
Looks like these aren't that far away from where you a

Wild Oats
5022 Poplar Ave.

Good Life-Natural Health Foods
3175 Poplar Ave.

Honeysuckle Health Food
734 Mt Moriah Rd.

Midtown Food Co-Op
2158 Central Ave.

Square Foods Natural Market
2094 Madison Ave.

Organic/natural foods are a lot more commonplace than they used
to be, even in regular grocery stores. Having only tried free-range
eggs once or twice, I can't really vouch that they'd be any more
consistent in size than the ones you recently purchased. But they're
most definitely available in your area.

Ariane

Ariane Jenkins 16-08-2004 06:25 PM

jmcquown 16-08-2004 09:13 PM

Ariane Jenkins wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:59:15 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no
>> farmer's co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen
>> them in the grocery stores near me.
>>

> Oh, and I'd be surprised if there were genuinely no free-range
> eggs to be found near you. Wild Oats would certainly carry them, and
> they're generally found in many natural/organic health food places.
> Looks like these aren't that far away from where you a
>
> Wild Oats
> 5022 Poplar Ave.
>
> Good Life-Natural Health Foods
> 3175 Poplar Ave.
>
> Honeysuckle Health Food
> 734 Mt Moriah Rd.
>
> Midtown Food Co-Op
> 2158 Central Ave.
>
> Square Foods Natural Market
> 2094 Madison Ave.

(snippage)
> Ariane

Thank you, Ariane. However I don't choose to drive that far in either
direction simply for a carton of eggs :) BTW, Wild Oats does carry some
really fancy ground chicken sausages which are nice, IIRC the ground chicken
with sun dried tomatoes and fennel was nice.

Jill

jmcquown 16-08-2004 09:13 PM

Ariane Jenkins wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:59:15 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no
>> farmer's co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen
>> them in the grocery stores near me.
>>

> Oh, and I'd be surprised if there were genuinely no free-range
> eggs to be found near you. Wild Oats would certainly carry them, and
> they're generally found in many natural/organic health food places.
> Looks like these aren't that far away from where you a
>
> Wild Oats
> 5022 Poplar Ave.
>
> Good Life-Natural Health Foods
> 3175 Poplar Ave.
>
> Honeysuckle Health Food
> 734 Mt Moriah Rd.
>
> Midtown Food Co-Op
> 2158 Central Ave.
>
> Square Foods Natural Market
> 2094 Madison Ave.

(snippage)

Dave Smith 16-08-2004 09:24 PM

jmcquown wrote:

> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no farmer's
> co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them in the grocery
> stores near me.
>
> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure they
> aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance, random
> checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be quite a bit
> smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any idea why?

I was beginning to wonder about that myself. Lately I have noticed that
the eggs do indeed appear to be smaller. Most of the eggs we buy are
free range, and most of them are large, sometimes there are a few that
are a little larger or a little smaller. I always check my eggs too, to
make sure they are no broken shells or sludge on them. I usually go
through at least three cartons before I find one with no broken eggs,
but when I get the free range eggs from my neighbour I have never found
a broken one.