Sheryl

Default Very Sad News: RIP Julia Child

I was so incredibly sad today when I learned that Julia Child had
passed away yesterday.

I learned how to cook from my Mom and Julia Child. Mom taught me the
basics, but I learned the finer points from Julia.
She was one amazing lady!

Here's the story from MSNBC:

Julia Child: bon appétit
Celebrated cook taught America to relish life's bounty

By Sylvia Lindman
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 12:26 p.m. ET Aug. 13, 2004

Julia Child, the celebrated cook, author and television personality
who elevated the nation's culinary standards, died in her sleep early
Friday morning at an assisted living home in Montecito, Calif. She was
91. As America's gastronomic guru, she had no peer. She taught us to
relish food and wine as a way of appreciating life's bounty. From this
brave new world of food, there is no turning back.

Before Julia, whisks, soufflé dishes and copper pans were novelties
brought home from France by pretentious tourists. After Julia, they
were standard American kitchen battery. Before Julia, French cooking
was an effete art form. After Julia, French cuisine was within reach
of any home cook. Her joie de vivre, ability to explain techniques,
and what-me-worry approach to mistakes made serious cooking fun.

Child gave the country a taste of its culinary future in February 1962
when she went to a Boston television station to promote her first
book, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." To liven up the
interview, she brought an omelet pan, a whisk, an apron and a dozen
eggs and chattily whipped up an omelet in front of the cameras.

That soon led to her first public television series, "The French
Chef," which debuted on Feb. 11, 1963, and made her a star at the age
of 50. She went on to headline eight more television series and
publish nine more cookbooks, including The French Chef Cookbook
(1968), a second volume of Mastering the Art of French Cooking (1970)
and From Julia Child's Kitchen (1975).

She also appeared on the cover of Time magazine (1967), hosted TV
specials, wrote articles for publications such as Food & Wine and
Parade, and co-founded the American Institute of Wine and Food. She
changed not only home entertaining but restaurant dining, brought
cooking to prime-time television, and was the first big celebrity
chef. Many of today's top chefs, from Alice Waters to Emeril Lagasse,
credit her inspiration.

Child's television shows were equal parts instruction and performance
art. If she dropped part of a potato pancake while flipping it, she
scraped it up and went on. She sipped wine and tasted liberally while
cooking and concluded every show with a cheery "Bon Appétit!"

Child won distinguished awards in both broadcasting (a Peabody in 1965
and an Emmy in 1966) and cooking. In 1980, she became the first woman
member of La Commanderie des Cordons Bleus de France.

Never predictable
It was an unlikely career for a woman from a privileged background in
Pasadena, Calif., who had begun a career in the foreign service. But
not much was predictable about Julia Child.

Born Julia McWilliams on Aug. 15, 1912, she was one of three children
of John and Caro McWilliams. Her father was a well-to-do real estate
investor and businessman; her mother, a loving nonconformist, amateur
athlete and patron of the arts.

Neither Julia's mother nor the hired cooks, who fed the family a
standard American meat-and-potatoes diet, inspired Julia to spend time
in the kitchen. "All my mother knew how to cook was baking powder
biscuits, codfish balls and Welsh rarebit," Julia once said.

But at frequent extended-family meals and dinner parties, young Julia
did learn the joys of sharing food with friends and family. Child's
biographer Noelle Riley Fitch, reports that Julia and her siblings ate
as much as they could at every meal. "Julia learned the secret of life
at an early age: appetite," Fitch writes in Appetite for Life: The
Biography of Julia Child.

Julia McWilliams was an extrovert and a tomboy -- hiking, golfing,
swimming and playing tennis while growing to a gangly 6-foot-2. She
was known for her stamina, irreverence and pell-mell impulsiveness.
After graduation from a private boarding school in California, she
attended Smith College, her mother's alma mater, in Northampton,
Mass., majoring in history. But she preferred physical and social
activity over her studies. Upon graduation in 1934, she thought she
might become a novelist.

For three years she wrote advertising copy for W. & J. Sloane, a
furniture store in New York City, returning to California shortly
before her mother died, in 1937. She spent four years at home, writing
for local publications and briefly working in advertising again.
Always civic minded -- as were her parents -- she volunteered with the
Red Cross and, after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, decided to enter
government service.

A job with the Office of Strategic Services in Washington, D.C.,
presented her with the opportunity to volunteer for work in India,
where, in 1944, she met Paul Child, a widely traveled OSS officer and
artist known for his sophisticated palate. He introduced her to the
wonders of food and, on Sept. 1, 1946, became her husband.

Culinary revelation
In their first home in Washington, D.C., Julia Child learned to cook
to please Paul and entertain their large social circle. Then, in a
fortuitous turn of events, the State Department assigned Paul as an
exhibits officer with the U.S. Information Agency in France in 1948.
After five days aboard ship, the hungry couple enjoyed a meal in Rouen
that she recalled repeatedly as a revelation: oysters on the half
shell, a bottle of Pouilly Fuissé, sole meunière, green salad, crème
fraîche. As she described it once in The New York Times, "The whole
experience was an opening up of the soul and spirit for me."

Her new passion came at the right time in her life. She had motivation
-- pleasing her husband -- as well as the time, energy and opportunity
to learn about food. She began exploring Paris restaurants and food
shops and enrolled in a challenging class at the Cordon Bleu for
would-be professional chefs. She proved fearless in her willingness to
try new techniques, from filleting a fish to gutting a chicken to
learning a hundred ways to cook a potato. Paul was an astute critic of
her efforts.

Cooking became her career shortly after she met Simone Beck, known as
Simca, through Cercle des Gourmettes, a cooking club for French women
to which both belonged. Simca and her friend Louisette Bertholle had
written a French cookbook for Americans and thought Julia was just the
person to bring the idea to life-to Americanize it.

The three women began their collaboration by offering cooking classes
to American women in the Childs' kitchen, calling their informal
school L'Ecole des Trois Gourmandes. Their success proved to them the
book would have an audience. They researched, wrote and tirelessly
tested recipes, up to 15 or 20 times. Julia translated the French
ideas, ingredients and instructions into American English, making the
recipes interesting, practical and nearly foolproof.

The women continued to collaborate long-distance while the Childs
moved to Marseilles, Germany, Norway and finally Cambridge. They
signed a contract with Houghton Mifflin, which rejected the manuscript
as too much like an encyclopedia. After 10 years, the 734-page
"Mastering the Art of French Cooking" was published by Knopf in 1961.

Feeding the soul
Critics hailed the book.

Craig Claiborne, in The New York Times, called it "probably the most
comprehensive, laudable and monumental work" on French cuisine, adding
"it will probably remain the definitive work for nonprofessionals." It
remains in print more than 40 years later.

Child's appearance to promote the book in 1962 at the Boston public
television station drew such positive responses that the station
offered her a 13-week series. "The French Chef" was wildly successful.
By the time filming ended in 1966, Julia had starred in 119 half-hour
programs and the show had won Peabody and Emmy awards. The show ran
nationally for 10 years.
Julia Child was not the first television cook, but she was the most
widely seen and attracted the broadest audience, "from professors to
policemen," as TV Guide put it at the time.

Julia's second book, "The French Chef Cookbook" (1968), was a
collection of the recipes she had demonstrated on the show. It was
soon followed by "Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol. II"
(1970), again with Simone Beck, although the two had ended their
partnership with Louisette Bertholle.

Julia's fourth book, "From Julia Child's Kitchen" (1975), was
illustrated with Paul Child's photographs. After that more personal
volume, all of her books grew out of her television series of the same
names: "Julia Child & Company" (1978), "Julia Child & More Company"
(1979), "The Way to Cook" (1989), "Julia Child's Menu Cookbook" (a
one-volume edition of "Julia Child & Company" and "Julia Child & More
Company," 1991), "Cooking with Master Chefs" (1993) and "In Julia
Child's Kitchen with Master Chefs" (1995).

In the 1970s and 1980s, her television series were "Julia Child &
Company," "Julia Child & More Company," "Dinner at Julia's" and "The
Way to Cook." Seeming never to run out of steam, she starred in four
more series in the 1990s; but this time, in typically generous
fashion, she put others in the limelight: "Cooking with Master Chefs,"
"In Julia's Kitchen with Master Chefs" (another Emmy winner), "Baking
with Julia" and "Julia Child & Jacques Pepin Cooking at Home."

Her original career goal as a writer served her well as she wrote
frequently for newspapers and magazines during the 1970s, 1980s and
1990s. Her columns for McCall's, Parade and Food & Wine, as well as
her regular appearances on ABC's "Good Morning America" and the Food
Channel, continued to spread her fame and her philosophy that food is
meant to be enjoyed.
One of her lasting contributions to the field of culinary education is
the American Institute of Wine and Food, which she founded in 1981 in
California, with Robert Mondavi and Richard Graff. Receiving a
Distinguished Service award from the Wine Spectator magazine in 1998,
she explained to an interviewer: "We're an educational institution,
like a museum or a library. We have nothing to do with feeding the
hungry… I'm about feeding the soul."

Paul Child, who was 10 years Julia's senior (he was born in 1902) was
a full partner in her career. Not only did he awaken her passion for
food but he also encouraged her cooking and helped with the television
show by shopping and doing other behind-the-scenes work, as well as
serving as her manager and official photographer. He died in 1994,
after living in a nursing home for five years.

Julia Child left the couple's home in Cambridge in 2001, after living
there for 42 years. She moved to a retirement community in California,
donating the house and office to Smith College.
She gave the kitchen, which Paul had designed and which served as the
set for three of her television series, to the Smithsonian National
Museum of American History in Washington, D.C. The reconstructed
kitchen is now on view.

America is fortunate that Julia Child lived among us. Her hearty
appetite, curious nature, and passion for the pleasures of life were
contagious, not only for those who actually make her recipes but for
all of us. Because of her, American food, at home and in restaurants,
no longer means perfection salad, overcooked peas and roast beef. It
means the infinite variety of fresh seafood, grains, fruits and
berries, nuts, vegetables, poultry and meat raised and served in
appetizing array from coast to coast.

She apparently loved every minute of her long life. The Web site for
"Bon Appétit! Julia Child's Kitchen at the Smithsonian" summarizes her
wisdom -- for the kitchen and beyond --in these few, happy words:
"…above all, have a good time."

Sylvia Lindman is a freelance writer living in Portland, Ore.
Paul M. Cook©®

"Sheryl" > wrote in message
om...
> I was so incredibly sad today when I learned that Julia Child had
> passed away yesterday.
>
> I learned how to cook from my Mom and Julia Child. Mom taught me the
> basics, but I learned the finer points from Julia.
> She was one amazing lady!

She was indeed. I will never forget Julia Chiild's cooking show. I always
watched it on days when I stayed home from school and even at that young age
she made me want to try it for myself. And I did too. On her show she
taught me how to make cream puffs which were a huge hit at my 6th grade bake
sale at school. That's not something a lot of novice bakers take on but
thanks to her they turned out great. I just never got the same enthusiasm
for Graham Kerr, there was just something about Julia and her peculiar
persona and voice.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©®

"Sheryl" > wrote in message
om...
> I was so incredibly sad today when I learned that Julia Child had
> passed away yesterday.
>
> I learned how to cook from my Mom and Julia Child. Mom taught me the
> basics, but I learned the finer points from Julia.
> She was one amazing lady!

She was indeed. I will never forget Julia Chiild's cooking show. I always
watched it on days when I stayed home from school and even at that young age
she made me want to try it for myself. And I did too. On her show she
taught me how to make cream puffs which were a huge hit at my 6th grade bake
sale at school. That's not something a lot of novice bakers take on but
thanks to her they turned out great. I just never got the same enthusiasm
for Graham Kerr, there was just something about Julia and her peculiar
persona and voice.

Paul

sf

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:50:19 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®"
> wrote:

> I just never got the same enthusiasm
> for Graham Kerr, there was just something about Julia and her peculiar
> persona and voice.

They were appt tv for me in their heyday and I learned a lot
from both. I certainly don't learn as much from any one
cook today as I did from each of those two.

sf
sf

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:50:19 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®"
> wrote:

> I just never got the same enthusiasm
> for Graham Kerr, there was just something about Julia and her peculiar
> persona and voice.

They were appt tv for me in their heyday and I learned a lot
from both. I certainly don't learn as much from any one
cook today as I did from each of those two.

sf

sf

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:50:19 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®"
> wrote:

> I just never got the same enthusiasm
> for Graham Kerr, there was just something about Julia and her peculiar
> persona and voice.

They were appt tv for me in their heyday and I learned a lot
from both. I certainly don't learn as much from any one
cook today as I did from each of those two.

sf
NTANTIQUES

>"Sheryl" > wrote in message
. com...
>> I was so incredibly sad today when I learned that Julia Child had
>> passed away yesterday.
>>
>> I learned how to cook from my Mom and Julia Child. Mom taught me the
>> basics, but I learned the finer points from Julia.
>> She was one amazing lady!

>She was indeed. I will never forget Julia Chiild's cooking show. I always
>watched it on days when I stayed home from school and even at that young age
>she made me want to try it for myself. And I did too. On her show she
>taught me how to make cream puffs which were a huge hit at my 6th grade bake
>sale at school. That's not something a lot of novice bakers take on but
>thanks to her they turned out great. I just never got the same enthusiasm
>for Graham Kerr, there was just something about Julia and her peculiar
>persona and voice.
>Paul

Julia.....simply the best. Were it not for her I think RFC would be busy
discussing the finer points of Jello salads and tuna casserole. Like some
other posters, my Mom taught me the basics, but it was Julia Child who ignited
my interest in cooking. Her coque au vin was my first serious foray into
"grown up" cooking. Waaay back inthe early 70's I was at my boyfriend's
apartment cooking for a dinner party for some of his friends and their wives.
I'd never met them & wanted to knock their socks off. Julia's recipe called for
flaming the chicken with brandy and I still remember the look of horror on my
boyfriend's face when he entered the kitchen to see flames licking the ceiling
over the stove and me standing there with a bottle his prized Courvoisier in
hand. Dinner was a huge hit & I was forgiven for glugging the "good stuff" on
a chicken... boyfriend soon became my husband & thanks to Julia Child I've
been creatively cooking for him for 30 years.
She was one of a kind & is irreplacable. RIP dear Julia.
NT
NTANTIQUES

>"Sheryl" > wrote in message
. com...
>> I was so incredibly sad today when I learned that Julia Child had
>> passed away yesterday.
>>
>> I learned how to cook from my Mom and Julia Child. Mom taught me the
>> basics, but I learned the finer points from Julia.
>> She was one amazing lady!

>She was indeed. I will never forget Julia Chiild's cooking show. I always
>watched it on days when I stayed home from school and even at that young age
>she made me want to try it for myself. And I did too. On her show she
>taught me how to make cream puffs which were a huge hit at my 6th grade bake
>sale at school. That's not something a lot of novice bakers take on but
>thanks to her they turned out great. I just never got the same enthusiasm
>for Graham Kerr, there was just something about Julia and her peculiar
>persona and voice.
>Paul

Julia.....simply the best. Were it not for her I think RFC would be busy
discussing the finer points of Jello salads and tuna casserole. Like some
other posters, my Mom taught me the basics, but it was Julia Child who ignited
my interest in cooking. Her coque au vin was my first serious foray into
"grown up" cooking. Waaay back inthe early 70's I was at my boyfriend's
apartment cooking for a dinner party for some of his friends and their wives.
I'd never met them & wanted to knock their socks off. Julia's recipe called for
flaming the chicken with brandy and I still remember the look of horror on my
boyfriend's face when he entered the kitchen to see flames licking the ceiling
over the stove and me standing there with a bottle his prized Courvoisier in
hand. Dinner was a huge hit & I was forgiven for glugging the "good stuff" on
a chicken... boyfriend soon became my husband & thanks to Julia Child I've
been creatively cooking for him for 30 years.
She was one of a kind & is irreplacable. RIP dear Julia.
NT
notbob

On 2004-08-13, Sheryl > wrote:
> I was so incredibly sad today when I learned that Julia Child had
> passed away yesterday.

Me also, Sheryl. I don't think I've ever shed a tear for any other celebrity,
but losing Julia is like losing family.

> Here's the story from MSNBC:

Thanks for that. For those of you who get it, I'm sure the Biography
Channel will be running their excellent bio of Julia this weekend. Maybe
even an expanded version. Also, be aware that you can view her pbs videos
on the web.

http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/video.html

So long Julia. We'll miss you.

nb

Cindy Fuller

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:50:19 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®"
> > wrote:
>
> > I just never got the same enthusiasm
> > for Graham Kerr, there was just something about Julia and her peculiar
> > persona and voice.

> They were appt tv for me in their heyday and I learned a lot
> from both. I certainly don't learn as much from any one
> cook today as I did from each of those two.

The early afternoon call-in show on KUOW (Seattle's NPR news station)
celebrated Julia's life. It featured phone-ins from both Graham Kerr
and Tom Douglas.

Last Christmas I made the brioche tart from "Baking with Julia". This
was a two-day affair with lots of butter and eggs. It was a BIG hit at
dinner. Even the vegan in the crowd had some.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:50:19 GMT, "Paul M. Cook©®"
> > wrote:
>
> > I just never got the same enthusiasm
> > for Graham Kerr, there was just something about Julia and her peculiar
> > persona and voice.

> They were appt tv for me in their heyday and I learned a lot
> from both. I certainly don't learn as much from any one
> cook today as I did from each of those two.

The early afternoon call-in show on KUOW (Seattle's NPR news station)
celebrated Julia's life. It featured phone-ins from both Graham Kerr
and Tom Douglas.

Last Christmas I made the brioche tart from "Baking with Julia". This
was a two-day affair with lots of butter and eggs. It was a BIG hit at
dinner. Even the vegan in the crowd had some.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
msansing

I too read with sadness of the passing of cooking personality
extraordinaire Julia Child. She and I had a personal connection,
although she was unaware of it. Back in my junior year (1991) I took
a work study job at the Schlesinger Women's History Library at
Harvard. I had heard that library jobs were cushy and let you catch
up on your studies at work. Although I don't precisely recollect, I
may have also thought that a women's history library might be great
place to meet girls. I was wrong on both counts. Most of the women
that worked there were not exactly keen to meet guys. Some of them
even seemed to resent my presence, although a few didn't seem to hold
my gender against me. Probably to keep me out of the sight of the
patrons I was stuck in the back and given the tedious job of entering
new books into the library database, which more or less meant unending
drudgery. I was paid the standard work study rate of $6.70/hour. I
split my 12 hours a week into 3 shifts of 4 hours, which was about the
most I could stomach in a sitting.

They had been unable to find a work study student for some time (I
suspect they may have been holding out for a female candidate), and
thus they were completely backlogged—there was a room half-filled with
books waiting for me when I started, and new books were coming in all
the time. It was quite depressing—even after several weeks I felt
like I wasn't making a dent. But over the next few months I made some
serious headway and started feeling pretty good about myself. And
then Julia stepped in.

One day I heard that Julia Child had decided to donate her entire
cookbook collection to the library, and they were planning a reception
for her. They proudly announced that it gave the Schlesinger Library
the largest cookbook collection in the world. I thought it a bit
strange that a place that was all about empowering women would
identify itself with something so related to the traditional women's
role as homemaker. Although I wasn't invited, being I was a lowly
backoffice peon, I was working that day and did get a glimpse of Julia
herself. I was shocked both by how tall she was and how old she
looked. Around that time the cookbooks showed up.

To my great dismay my room, just recently fairly cleared out, was now
overflowing with cookbooks. I recall being told that there were a
couple of thousand of them. I was quite bitter, but, somewhat
dispirited, I started digging in. Most were autographed by the
author, with a note saying something along the lines of "To Julia—You
are my great inspiration and I hope you enjoy my cookbook." It seemed
like everyone who ever wrote a cookbook felt compelled to send her a
copy. I heard that she lived in the neighborhood with her bedridden
husband, and suspected that she just got tired of all the books
filling up her garage or whatever, decided to clean house and unloaded
them on the nearest taker. I wonder if she even bothered to look at
most of them.

I spent the rest of the year entering her cookbooks into the database,
and, while I got through a lot of them, there was still a lot more to
do when I left. But that job fell to my successor, God bless him (or
her). I never saw Julia again; perhaps she wanted to be done with the
whole affair. But, after spending so much time with her former
possessions, and reading so many of those personal scribbles addressed
to her, I did feel a little connection to her. We named our first
child Julia, and I wonder if somehow I got that idea in my head from
my time with her cookbooks.

Goomba38

msansing wrote:

> I too read with sadness of the passing of cooking personality
> extraordinaire Julia Child. She and I had a personal connection,
> although she was unaware of it....

what a nice read! Thanks for sharing
Goomba

Goomba38

msansing wrote:

> I too read with sadness of the passing of cooking personality
> extraordinaire Julia Child. She and I had a personal connection,
> although she was unaware of it....

what a nice read! Thanks for sharing
Goomba

"Julie & Julia", Julia Child, Meryl Streep and Rachel Khoo [email protected] General Cooking 30 04-12-2012 08:42 PM
Julia Child Dora General Cooking 6 09-09-2009 06:15 PM
Julia Child Opinicus Historic 1 28-01-2007 01:35 AM
Julie and Julia: Favorite Julia Child Recipes? Karen MacInerney General Cooking 8 08-01-2006 03:35 PM
Julia Child Julia Altshuler General Cooking 1 14-08-2004 11:52 AM