Liashi

Default Know anything about woks?

Hi!

I got a wok recently. Its brand name is Pallas, but I haven't been
able to find it on the internet. The cardboard wrapper had Korean on
one side and English on the other. Both sides had a picture of a guy
who looks like a cook.

Now my problem is, I don't know if it's non-stick or not. (It's
important to know because if it is an iron wok it need to be primed.)

I think it is non-stick because it feels smooth like a non-stick, but
I'm still not certain, because I also know that they coat iron woks
with oil in the factory.

--If it's iron, could I tell the difference?
--Should the wok feel like something made out of iron, if it is iron?
(Okay, so it seems like a dumb question, but please bear with me.
^_^;
--Since it feels very smooth, is it a good bet it's non-stick?

Thank you for any help!

>>>Liashi

Paul M. Cook©®

The only way it could be non-stick is if it is covered with Teflon or
Silverstone - a heavy black coating.

It probably is a high-carbon steel wok. Some have small hammer marks some
don't - it depends on how they were made. It will need to be seasoned
properly and then cared for as any other iron cookware. Never scrub it or
use soap - use only a little water, a bamboo brush or nylon scrubber then
dry immediately. You'll need to get ion the habit of cleaning the wok
immediately after use while it is still hot. The cold water deglazes the
wok nicely and aids cleaning. As the wok is used it will become more and
more non-stick. At one point you could fry an egg in it with no shortening
at all. It takes a bit of patience but well worth the effort to season them
right.

Paul

"Liashi" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi!
>
> I got a wok recently. Its brand name is Pallas, but I haven't been
> able to find it on the internet. The cardboard wrapper had Korean on
> one side and English on the other. Both sides had a picture of a guy
> who looks like a cook.
>
> Now my problem is, I don't know if it's non-stick or not. (It's
> important to know because if it is an iron wok it need to be primed.)
>
> I think it is non-stick because it feels smooth like a non-stick, but
> I'm still not certain, because I also know that they coat iron woks
> with oil in the factory.
>
> --If it's iron, could I tell the difference?
> --Should the wok feel like something made out of iron, if it is iron?
> (Okay, so it seems like a dumb question, but please bear with me.
> ^_^;
> --Since it feels very smooth, is it a good bet it's non-stick?
>
> Thank you for any help!

PENMART01

"Paul M. Kook" writes:

>The only way it could be non-stick is if it is covered with Teflon or
>Silverstone - a heavy black coating.

Bullshit. Woks by their very nature are non-stick *high heat* cookware... if
it has a plasticised non-stick coating it's NOT a wok.... may look like a wok
but it can't quack like a wok.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Fred

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Kook" writes:
> >
> >The only way it could be non-stick is if it is covered with Teflon or
> >Silverstone - a heavy black coating.

> Bullshit. Woks by their very nature are non-stick *high heat* cookware...

if
> it has a plasticised non-stick coating it's NOT a wok.... may look like a

wok
> but it can't quack like a wok.

Well, let's say they are "low stick." Wok, by the way, defines a shape
designed to do stir fry cooking, not a finish or coating. Contrary to
popular opinion that can be done in a non stick wok as well. Reality is
that most home ranges don't put out enough heat to really define a
meaningful difference in use between the two. If one has a high btu burner,
though, I agree that a carbon steel wok would be better. I use a non-stick
wok every time I want to cook bacon. Stir frying works very well with
bacon. In truth I do use a carbon steel wok for Chinese stir fry but I can
do it nearly as well in a non stick wok. Good cooking

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

Paul M. Cook©®

Offhand would you know who is holding the funds being collected for your
permanent committal to the mental hospital? I have a nice donation that
should please a few people here.

Paul

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Kook" writes:
> >
> >The only way it could be non-stick is if it is covered with Teflon or
> >Silverstone - a heavy black coating.

> Bullshit. Woks by their very nature are non-stick *high heat* cookware...

if
> it has a plasticised non-stick coating it's NOT a wok.... may look like a

wok
> but it can't quack like a wok.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

robert

"Liashi" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi!
>
> I got a wok recently. Its brand name is Pallas, but I haven't been
> able to find it on the internet. The cardboard wrapper had Korean on
> one side and English on the other. Both sides had a picture of a guy
> who looks like a cook.
>
> Now my problem is, I don't know if it's non-stick or not. (It's
> important to know because if it is an iron wok it need to be primed.)
>
> I think it is non-stick because it feels smooth like a non-stick, but
> I'm still not certain, because I also know that they coat iron woks
> with oil in the factory.
>
> --If it's iron, could I tell the difference?
> --Should the wok feel like something made out of iron, if it is iron?
> (Okay, so it seems like a dumb question, but please bear with me.
> ^_^;
> --Since it feels very smooth, is it a good bet it's non-stick?
>
> Thank you for any help!

The semi-smooth surface you feel is probably the coating that is placed on a
carbon steel wok when it is produced. You will need to wash that off with
soap and hot water, and then season the wok-takes a bit of time, but it is
worth it.

Hot Woks [email protected] General Cooking 1 22-09-2008 07:57 PM
Enamel Woks DC[_2_] General Cooking 8 20-07-2008 08:36 PM
Induction Woks Stu Cooking Equipment 0 16-03-2008 03:42 PM
woks elaine General Cooking 8 19-03-2004 04:58 PM
Le Creuset 11" & 14" Woks Sheellah Cooking Equipment 13 06-10-2003 08:12 PM