elaine

Default woks

Got one years ago for a gift but rarely use as everything sticks to it.
Most of the time my aluminum pot works ok instead - sometimes awkward
though. I'm considering buying another wok. A friend suggested getting an
electric one. I did a google search, but reviews weren't very good. Is
there really an advantage to having a wok? I don't need another kitchen
item that's just going to take up space.

If anyone has recommendations, brands, etc. I'd appreciate hearing them.
Thanks.

Elaine

Jessica Vincent

"elaine" > wrote in message news:4059f8c7_3@aeinews....
> Got one years ago for a gift but rarely use as everything sticks to it.
> Most of the time my aluminum pot works ok instead - sometimes awkward
> though. I'm considering buying another wok. A friend suggested getting

an
> electric one. I did a google search, but reviews weren't very good. Is
> there really an advantage to having a wok? I don't need another kitchen
> item that's just going to take up space.
>
> If anyone has recommendations, brands, etc. I'd appreciate hearing them.
> Thanks.
>
> Elaine

What I don't like about an electric wok is that the temp is even. I've had
my share of crappy woks...what I have now and really like is a hammered
carbon steel wok, proper heating, once it's seasoned nothing sticks and the
irregularites make it much easier to keep food out of the center hot spot.
These can be a little on the pricey side, but I have friends that have $25
models (informercial-I think) and are happy with them. Honestly mine is a
really good one, but found it at a tag sale for around $10.

I like the wok over the pan method of "stir-frying" but if I didn't use a
wok on a somewhat regular basis I wouldn't see a reason to have one
especially with kitchen storage space being at a premium.

Jessica

Jessica Vincent

"elaine" > wrote in message news:4059f8c7_3@aeinews....
> Got one years ago for a gift but rarely use as everything sticks to it.
> Most of the time my aluminum pot works ok instead - sometimes awkward
> though. I'm considering buying another wok. A friend suggested getting

an
> electric one. I did a google search, but reviews weren't very good. Is
> there really an advantage to having a wok? I don't need another kitchen
> item that's just going to take up space.
>
> If anyone has recommendations, brands, etc. I'd appreciate hearing them.
> Thanks.
>
> Elaine

What I don't like about an electric wok is that the temp is even. I've had
my share of crappy woks...what I have now and really like is a hammered
carbon steel wok, proper heating, once it's seasoned nothing sticks and the
irregularites make it much easier to keep food out of the center hot spot.
These can be a little on the pricey side, but I have friends that have $25
models (informercial-I think) and are happy with them. Honestly mine is a
really good one, but found it at a tag sale for around $10.

I like the wok over the pan method of "stir-frying" but if I didn't use a
wok on a somewhat regular basis I wouldn't see a reason to have one
especially with kitchen storage space being at a premium.

Jessica

elaine

I don't mind paying (and storing) if it cooks well. Could you explain how
to season - and should I do this every time I use?

Thanks.

> What I don't like about an electric wok is that the temp is even. I've

had
> my share of crappy woks...what I have now and really like is a hammered
> carbon steel wok, proper heating, once it's seasoned nothing sticks and

the
> irregularites make it much easier to keep food out of the center hot

spot.
> These can be a little on the pricey side, but I have friends that have

$25
> models (informercial-I think) and are happy with them. Honestly mine is

> really good one, but found it at a tag sale for around $10.
>
> I like the wok over the pan method of "stir-frying" but if I didn't use

> wok on a somewhat regular basis I wouldn't see a reason to have one
> especially with kitchen storage space being at a premium.
>
> Jessica

elaine

I don't mind paying (and storing) if it cooks well. Could you explain how
to season - and should I do this every time I use?

Thanks.

> What I don't like about an electric wok is that the temp is even. I've

had
> my share of crappy woks...what I have now and really like is a hammered
> carbon steel wok, proper heating, once it's seasoned nothing sticks and

the
> irregularites make it much easier to keep food out of the center hot

spot.
> These can be a little on the pricey side, but I have friends that have

$25
> models (informercial-I think) and are happy with them. Honestly mine is

> really good one, but found it at a tag sale for around $10.
>
> I like the wok over the pan method of "stir-frying" but if I didn't use

> wok on a somewhat regular basis I wouldn't see a reason to have one
> especially with kitchen storage space being at a premium.
>
> Jessica

David Hare-Scott

"elaine" > wrote in message news:4059f8c7_3@aeinews....
> Got one years ago for a gift but rarely use as everything sticks to it.
> Most of the time my aluminum pot works ok instead - sometimes awkward
> though. I'm considering buying another wok. A friend suggested getting

an
> electric one. I did a google search, but reviews weren't very good. Is
> there really an advantage to having a wok? I don't need another kitchen
> item that's just going to take up space.
>
> If anyone has recommendations, brands, etc. I'd appreciate hearing them.
> Thanks.
>
> Elaine

An electric wok is a complete waste of space and money as:

- it cannot be cranked up/down quickly enough
- it does not have the heating capacity required.

A high speed gas burner, a standard wok and the knowledge of how to use it
is the best combination. If you use it correctly food will not stick to a
bog standard cheap mild-steel wok, the brand is irrelevant. Sadly I cannot
assist very much in the technique remotely but I assure you that it can be
done.

If you don't have a high speed gas burner don't worry about a wok but use
heavy base frying pans of your preference instead, you will not get the same
result but you will suffer less frustration trying to do the impossible.

David

David Hare-Scott

"elaine" > wrote in message news:4059f8c7_3@aeinews....
> Got one years ago for a gift but rarely use as everything sticks to it.
> Most of the time my aluminum pot works ok instead - sometimes awkward
> though. I'm considering buying another wok. A friend suggested getting

an
> electric one. I did a google search, but reviews weren't very good. Is
> there really an advantage to having a wok? I don't need another kitchen
> item that's just going to take up space.
>
> If anyone has recommendations, brands, etc. I'd appreciate hearing them.
> Thanks.
>
> Elaine

An electric wok is a complete waste of space and money as:

- it cannot be cranked up/down quickly enough
- it does not have the heating capacity required.

A high speed gas burner, a standard wok and the knowledge of how to use it
is the best combination. If you use it correctly food will not stick to a
bog standard cheap mild-steel wok, the brand is irrelevant. Sadly I cannot
assist very much in the technique remotely but I assure you that it can be
done.

If you don't have a high speed gas burner don't worry about a wok but use
heavy base frying pans of your preference instead, you will not get the same
result but you will suffer less frustration trying to do the impossible.

David

Steve Knight

>If you don't have a high speed gas burner don't worry about a wok but use
>heavy base frying pans of your preference instead, you will not get the same
>result but you will suffer less frustration trying to do the impossible.

a cast iron chicken fryer works great in this situation. it will cook pretty hot
and hold the heat when you are cooking meat. I had a chinese cook tell me that's
what he uses at home.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

>If you don't have a high speed gas burner don't worry about a wok but use
>heavy base frying pans of your preference instead, you will not get the same
>result but you will suffer less frustration trying to do the impossible.

a cast iron chicken fryer works great in this situation. it will cook pretty hot
and hold the heat when you are cooking meat. I had a chinese cook tell me that's
what he uses at home.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Hot Woks [email protected] General Cooking 1 22-09-2008 07:57 PM
Enamel Woks DC[_2_] General Cooking 8 20-07-2008 08:36 PM
Induction Woks Stu Cooking Equipment 0 16-03-2008 03:42 PM
Know anything about woks? Liashi General Cooking 5 28-12-2003 09:12 PM
Le Creuset 11" & 14" Woks Sheellah Cooking Equipment 13 06-10-2003 08:12 PM