Jeff Novotny

Default Friday's carrot cake?

Hello,
Has anyone tried TGI Friday's carrot cake? I'm not sure if they still
have it. My question: it's an extremely moist cake, almost
brownie-like moistness. How would you achieve this texture? My guess
would be adding extra liquid and/or eggs?

Thanks,
Jeff
Vox Humana

"Jeff Novotny" > wrote in message
m...
> Hello,
> Has anyone tried TGI Friday's carrot cake? I'm not sure if they still
> have it. My question: it's an extremely moist cake, almost
> brownie-like moistness. How would you achieve this texture? My guess
> would be adding extra liquid and/or eggs?

I have a very moist carrot cake recipe that I posted here last week. If you
do a google groups search you can find it. I wouldn't call it
"brownie-like" but then I can't remember ever having a carrot cake that
would match that description. If you truly want something like that, I
would try omitting the leavening, using a sheet pan, and under-baking it.
If on the other hand, you simply want a moist cake, try mine. As Wayne has
said, using crushed pineapple add a lot of moisture to the cake. Mine also
has pumpkin.

Wayne Boatwright

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Jeff Novotny" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Hello,
>> Has anyone tried TGI Friday's carrot cake? I'm not sure if they
>> still have it. My question: it's an extremely moist cake, almost
>> brownie-like moistness. How would you achieve this texture? My
>> guess would be adding extra liquid and/or eggs?
>>

> I have a very moist carrot cake recipe that I posted here last week.
> If you do a google groups search you can find it. I wouldn't call it
> "brownie-like" but then I can't remember ever having a carrot cake
> that would match that description. If you truly want something like
> that, I would try omitting the leavening, using a sheet pan, and
> under-baking it. If on the other hand, you simply want a moist cake,
> try mine. As Wayne has said, using crushed pineapple add a lot of
> moisture to the cake. Mine also has pumpkin.

Vox, I like the pumpkin idea. I'm going to have to try your recipe!

Wayne
Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "Jeff Novotny" > wrote in message
> > m...
> >> Hello,
> >> Has anyone tried TGI Friday's carrot cake? I'm not sure if they
> >> still have it. My question: it's an extremely moist cake, almost
> >> brownie-like moistness. How would you achieve this texture? My
> >> guess would be adding extra liquid and/or eggs?
> >>

> > I have a very moist carrot cake recipe that I posted here last week.
> > If you do a google groups search you can find it. I wouldn't call it
> > "brownie-like" but then I can't remember ever having a carrot cake
> > that would match that description. If you truly want something like
> > that, I would try omitting the leavening, using a sheet pan, and
> > under-baking it. If on the other hand, you simply want a moist cake,
> > try mine. As Wayne has said, using crushed pineapple add a lot of
> > moisture to the cake. Mine also has pumpkin.

> Vox, I like the pumpkin idea. I'm going to have to try your recipe!

The pumpkin adds a subtle layer of flavor and gives it great moistness.

sf

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 06:54:24 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> Told ya before...crushed pineapple.

Oh yeah, you sure told him!
<BG>

Don't mess with the ingredients - if it's yer first time
with this particular recipe:

Carrot Cake

2 C. flour
2 C. sugar
3 eggs
1 C. oil
1 small can crushed pineapple
2 t. soda
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
2 t. vanilla
2 C. grated carrot
2 C. chopped walnuts
1 C. coconut (shredded, unsweetened)

Mix all ingredients together.

Pour into a greased & floured rectangular
(9 x 13) cake pan.

Bake at 350 for 55 minutes

OR
3 well buttered & floured 8 inch round pans and
Bake for 30 minutes.

%%%%%%

Cream Cheese Frosting

In a small bowl, blend
4 T soft butter
1 - 8 oz. package (near room temp.) cream cheese

Gradually add 3 C. sifted powdered sugar, beating until
smooth and creamy.

Stir in 1 t. vanilla

Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in
news
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 06:54:24 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>> Told ya before...crushed pineapple.

> Oh yeah, you sure told him!
> <BG>

Hehehe!

> Don't mess with the ingredients - if it's yer first time
> with this particular recipe:
>
> Carrot Cake
>
> 2 C. flour
> 2 C. sugar
> 3 eggs
> 1 C. oil
> 1 small can crushed pineapple
> 2 t. soda
> 2 t. cinnamon
> 1 t. salt
> 2 t. vanilla
> 2 C. grated carrot
> 2 C. chopped walnuts
> 1 C. coconut (shredded, unsweetened)
>
> Mix all ingredients together.
>
> Pour into a greased & floured rectangular
> (9 x 13) cake pan.
>
> Bake at 350 for 55 minutes
>
> OR
> 3 well buttered & floured 8 inch round pans and
> Bake for 30 minutes.

I love coconut in carrot cake!

> %%%%%%
>
> Cream Cheese Frosting
>
> In a small bowl, blend
> 4 T soft butter
> 1 - 8 oz. package (near room temp.) cream cheese
>
> Gradually add 3 C. sifted powdered sugar, beating until
> smooth and creamy.
>
> Stir in 1 t. vanilla

tontines

Jeff Novotny wrote:

>Hello,
> Has anyone tried TGI Friday's carrot cake? I'm not sure if they still
> have it. My question: it's an extremely moist cake, almost
> brownie-like moistness. How would you achieve this texture? My guess
> would be adding extra liquid and/or eggs?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Never Had TGIFriday's but I actually hold a Blue Ribbon for this. It's
especially good for those that don't like raisins the dried apples add
the same mouth feel. (It was originally made for an ex-gf that worked
for Resolution Trust Corp.)

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Blue Ribbon Carrot Cake - RTC Version

Recipe By : John Williams
Serving Size : 14 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : Cakes

*---------- Cake ------------------------*
2 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 ea egg
3/4 c vegetable oil
3/4 c buttermilk
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla -- or Grand Manier
20 oz crushed pineapple in syrup -- drained
12 oz mandrian oranges -- drained/crushed
3 oz dried apples -- chopped medium
3 c carrot -- grated (1#)
1 c English walnuts -- chopped
*---------- Cream Cheese Frosting -------*
1 c butter, unsalted -- 2 sticks (cold)
16 oz cream cheese -- softened
1 tsp vanilla -- or Grand Manier
4 c confectioner's sugar -- 1#

Preheat oven to 350, Pam 2 9" springform cake pans or 9x13 (Preheat is
important because of the heavy batter)

NOTE ABOUT MEASURES: - Pineapple is a large can 16-20oz will do.
Mandrian oranges is a large can 11-15 ozs is fine, carrots are 1#, the
cup measure was just to get the nutritional calculations.

*----- Prepare
1. Fine shred, 1# carrots. (long thin shreds)
2. Chop 1 1/2 cups english walnuts
3. Chop 1/2 package of dried apples (dried apples are usually found in
same section as raisins and come in 6 oz packages)
4. Drain Pineapple (I use "with heavy syrup") (drink the juice)
5. Drain mandrian oranges (Drink the juice)

*----- Cake Batter
NOTE: Mandrian oranges need to be same consistancy as crushed pineapple,
I add the segments first and let the mixer do the work while I beat the
following)

In a large mixing bowl, on low, Beat oil, buttermilk (substitute 2 tbsp
vinegar and regular milk), both sugars, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda,
salt until well mixed.

Add eggs, scrape sides

Add flour until just mixed, ("Just mixed" means a little flour is still
visible)

Hand mix pineapple, dried apples, carrots and walnuts

Spread evenly in cake pans, bake 55-60 minutes

*----- Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy, add vanilla, confectioners
sugar, Mix until smooth.

Frost completely cooled cake, refrigerate until set, 2-3 hours.

Friday Feasting in my blog - Carrot Cake PickyJaz General Cooking 0 23-08-2009 03:14 AM
Carrot Cake MOMPEAGRAM Recipes (moderated) 0 15-11-2007 01:57 AM
Carrot Cake Connie Recipes 0 28-02-2007 02:17 PM
Carrot Cake Jane Recipes (moderated) 0 10-08-2005 06:18 AM
Friday's carrot cake Jeff Novotny Baking 1 21-12-2003 04:00 PM