Wayne

Default Pepperoni on Pizza Question

I make a mean pizza, great dough/crust, various and really good sauces and
toppings, but I've never been a fan of pepperoni until recently. I always
thought it was too greasy, tasted undone (I know it's already cured).
Recently, however, I ordered pizzas with friends at an obscure little
pizzeria. They ordered pepperoni, and when it came to the table, it didn't
look like any pepperoni I'd ever seen. It was definitely less greasy, and
was somehow cooked to a fair degree of crispness. One taste lead to
another and it was really delicious.

I asked about the pepperoni and bought the same last week. Made a pizza
tonight and it was delicious, but the pepperoni never reached that state of
crispness. How'd they do that?

I bake pizzas in a 550°F oven that's been preheated for 45-60 minutes. I
use a 3/4" baking stone. My crusts and cheeses are beautifully browned.

What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping the
pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?

Thanks for any tips!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Paul M. Cook©®

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> I make a mean pizza, great dough/crust, various and really good sauces and
> toppings, but I've never been a fan of pepperoni until recently. I always
> thought it was too greasy, tasted undone (I know it's already cured).
> Recently, however, I ordered pizzas with friends at an obscure little
> pizzeria. They ordered pepperoni, and when it came to the table, it

didn't
> look like any pepperoni I'd ever seen. It was definitely less greasy, and
> was somehow cooked to a fair degree of crispness. One taste lead to
> another and it was really delicious.
>
> I asked about the pepperoni and bought the same last week. Made a pizza
> tonight and it was delicious, but the pepperoni never reached that state

of
> crispness. How'd they do that?
>
> I bake pizzas in a 550°F oven that's been preheated for 45-60 minutes. I
> use a 3/4" baking stone. My crusts and cheeses are beautifully browned.
>
> What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping the
> pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?
>
> Thanks for any tips!

Well consider that a pizzeria oven is probably cooking around 800 degrees.
They can fully cook a large pizza in 8 minutes or less. That kind of heat
is just not possible in a home oven. Pizza ovens are perhaps 8 inches tall
inside, fully lined with brick. They can focus intense heat onto the pizza.
Again, something quite impossible top do at home in a conventional oven.

Some things you just cannot replicate at home unless you have a kitchen like
Martha Stewart.

Paul

Wayne

"Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>> I make a mean pizza, great dough/crust, various and really good
>> sauces and toppings, but I've never been a fan of pepperoni until
>> recently. I always thought it was too greasy, tasted undone (I know
>> it's already cured). Recently, however, I ordered pizzas with friends
>> at an obscure little pizzeria. They ordered pepperoni, and when it
>> came to the table, it

> didn't
>> look like any pepperoni I'd ever seen. It was definitely less
>> greasy, and was somehow cooked to a fair degree of crispness. One
>> taste lead to another and it was really delicious.
>>
>> I asked about the pepperoni and bought the same last week. Made a
>> pizza tonight and it was delicious, but the pepperoni never reached
>> that state

> of
>> crispness. How'd they do that?
>>
>> I bake pizzas in a 550°F oven that's been preheated for 45-60
>> minutes. I use a 3/4" baking stone. My crusts and cheeses are
>> beautifully browned.
>>
>> What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping
>> the pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?
>>
>> Thanks for any tips!

> Well consider that a pizzeria oven is probably cooking around 800
> degrees. They can fully cook a large pizza in 8 minutes or less. That
> kind of heat is just not possible in a home oven. Pizza ovens are
> perhaps 8 inches tall inside, fully lined with brick. They can focus
> intense heat onto the pizza. Again, something quite impossible top do
> at home in a conventional oven.
>
> Some things you just cannot replicate at home unless you have a
> kitchen like Martha Stewart.
>
> Paul

Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions, and one
observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of crispy pepperoni.
I understand the 800 degrees and 8 minutes, but the crust and cheese
doesn't get any browner in their ovens than mine does at 550 degrees and
12-13 minutes, yet there's a distinct difference in only the pepperoni.
In fact, with rare exception, my pizza is superior to most pizzeria
pizza. I still think they're doing something separate to the pepperoni
before putting it on the pizza for baking.

At 800 degrees, I would think the cheese and crust would be burnt at the
point when the pepperoni became crisp.

The other difference was the noticable lack of greasiness from the
pepperoni. In every other case I've experienced, the pepperoni grease
was all over the top of the pizza. This, too, leads me to think that it
must have been partially cooked first.

After my original post I began googling "crisp pepperoni", not
necessarily on pizza. Several hits recommended microwaving the pepperoni
between sheets of paper towel before using in the various recipes. The
timing and degree of "doneness" and/or crispiness ranged from merely
extracting some of the fat to complete crispiness for use as a garnish.
That, or some other pre-cooking method, is probably the answer.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
sf

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:29:18 GMT, Wayne >
wrote:

> Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions, and one
> observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of crispy pepperoni.
> I understand the 800 degrees and 8 minutes, but the crust and cheese
> doesn't get any browner in their ovens than mine does at 550 degrees and
> 12-13 minutes, yet there's a distinct difference in only the pepperoni.
> In fact, with rare exception, my pizza is superior to most pizzeria
> pizza. I still think they're doing something separate to the pepperoni
> before putting it on the pizza for baking.

It's probably cut thinner than what you buy at the store.
So, if the rest of your pizza is superior... don't stress
over trying to produce "almost burned" pepperoni!

Just my 2¢

Wayne

sf > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:29:18 GMT, Wayne >
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions,
>> and one observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of
>> crispy pepperoni. I understand the 800 degrees and 8 minutes, but
>> the crust and cheese doesn't get any browner in their ovens than
>> mine does at 550 degrees and 12-13 minutes, yet there's a distinct
>> difference in only the pepperoni. In fact, with rare exception, my
>> pizza is superior to most pizzeria pizza. I still think they're
>> doing something separate to the pepperoni before putting it on the
>> pizza for baking.

> It's probably cut thinner than what you buy at the store.
> So, if the rest of your pizza is superior... don't stress
> over trying to produce "almost burned" pepperoni!
>
> Just my 2¢

Oh, I won't stress over it. One or two more attempts and I'm done with
it, and off pepperoni for my homemade pizza. Actually, I bought this
pepperoni at an Italian deli and they sliced it quite thin. The packaged
stuff is probably twice as thick. The next try will be to nuke it for a
minute or so, just enough to blot off a lot of the grease and to start
the ocoking process, then on to the pizza.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Christine Dabney

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:15:55 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

Actually, I bought this
>pepperoni at an Italian deli and they sliced it quite thin.

What Italian deli in the Phoenix area? I am trying to find stuff like
that..

Christine, who is not trying to derail the thread
Christine Dabney

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:15:55 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

Actually, I bought this
>pepperoni at an Italian deli and they sliced it quite thin.

What Italian deli in the Phoenix area? I am trying to find stuff like
that..

Christine, who is not trying to derail the thread
Wayne

sf > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:29:18 GMT, Wayne >
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions,
>> and one observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of
>> crispy pepperoni. I understand the 800 degrees and 8 minutes, but
>> the crust and cheese doesn't get any browner in their ovens than
>> mine does at 550 degrees and 12-13 minutes, yet there's a distinct
>> difference in only the pepperoni. In fact, with rare exception, my
>> pizza is superior to most pizzeria pizza. I still think they're
>> doing something separate to the pepperoni before putting it on the
>> pizza for baking.

> It's probably cut thinner than what you buy at the store.
> So, if the rest of your pizza is superior... don't stress
> over trying to produce "almost burned" pepperoni!
>
> Just my 2¢

Oh, I won't stress over it. One or two more attempts and I'm done with
it, and off pepperoni for my homemade pizza. Actually, I bought this
pepperoni at an Italian deli and they sliced it quite thin. The packaged
stuff is probably twice as thick. The next try will be to nuke it for a
minute or so, just enough to blot off a lot of the grease and to start
the ocoking process, then on to the pizza.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Kenneth

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:29:18 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions, and one
>observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of crispy pepperoni.

Howdy,

Perhaps they cooked it before putting it on the pizza...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Wayne

Kenneth > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:29:18 GMT, Wayne > wrote:
>
>>Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions, and
>>one observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of crispy
>>pepperoni.

> Howdy,
>
> Perhaps they cooked it before putting it on the pizza...
>
> All the best,

The more I consider it, I'm sure that's what they did. That will be my
next attempt. Thanks.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Paul M. Cook©®

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> Kenneth > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:29:18 GMT, Wayne > wrote:
> >
> >>Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions, and
> >>one observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of crispy
> >>pepperoni.

> > Howdy,
> >
> > Perhaps they cooked it before putting it on the pizza...
> >
> > All the best,
> >

> The more I consider it, I'm sure that's what they did. That will be my
> next attempt. Thanks.

Call me anything but PC but the oil from the pepperoni is the best part IMO.
You're not eating health food here, so live it up a little. Wash it down
with some good red wine and your arteries won't know, or care.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©®

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> Kenneth > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:29:18 GMT, Wayne > wrote:
> >
> >>Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions, and
> >>one observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of crispy
> >>pepperoni.

> > Howdy,
> >
> > Perhaps they cooked it before putting it on the pizza...
> >
> > All the best,
> >

> The more I consider it, I'm sure that's what they did. That will be my
> next attempt. Thanks.

Call me anything but PC but the oil from the pepperoni is the best part IMO.
You're not eating health food here, so live it up a little. Wash it down
with some good red wine and your arteries won't know, or care.

Paul

Wayne

Kenneth > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:29:18 GMT, Wayne > wrote:
>
>>Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions, and
>>one observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of crispy
>>pepperoni.

> Howdy,
>
> Perhaps they cooked it before putting it on the pizza...
>
> All the best,

The more I consider it, I'm sure that's what they did. That will be my
next attempt. Thanks.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

Kenneth > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:29:18 GMT, Wayne > wrote:
>
>>Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions, and
>>one observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of crispy
>>pepperoni.

> Howdy,
>
> Perhaps they cooked it before putting it on the pizza...
>
> All the best,

The more I consider it, I'm sure that's what they did. That will be my
next attempt. Thanks.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
sf

wrote:

> Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions, and one
> observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of crispy pepperoni.
> I understand the 800 degrees and 8 minutes, but the crust and cheese
> doesn't get any browner in their ovens than mine does at 550 degrees and
> 12-13 minutes, yet there's a distinct difference in only the pepperoni.
> In fact, with rare exception, my pizza is superior to most pizzeria
> pizza. I still think they're doing something separate to the pepperoni
> before putting it on the pizza for baking.

It's probably cut thinner than what you buy at the store.
So, if the rest of your pizza is superior... don't stress
over trying to produce "almost burned" pepperoni!

Just my 2¢

Kenneth

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:29:18 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions, and one
>observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of crispy pepperoni.

Howdy,

Perhaps they cooked it before putting it on the pizza...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

sf

wrote:

> Thanks, Paul. Understood, but that brings about other questions, and one
> observation. Most pizzerias don't produce this sort of crispy pepperoni.
> I understand the 800 degrees and 8 minutes, but the crust and cheese
> doesn't get any browner in their ovens than mine does at 550 degrees and
> 12-13 minutes, yet there's a distinct difference in only the pepperoni.
> In fact, with rare exception, my pizza is superior to most pizzeria
> pizza. I still think they're doing something separate to the pepperoni
> before putting it on the pizza for baking.

It's probably cut thinner than what you buy at the store.
So, if the rest of your pizza is superior... don't stress
over trying to produce "almost burned" pepperoni!

Just my 2¢

PENMART01

>"Paul M. "for Moron" Kook" blustered:
>
>>"Duh'Wayne" scrawled on his cave wall:
>>
>>Made a pizza but the pepperoni never >>reached that state of crispness.

How'd >>they do that?

>Well consider that a pizzeria oven is >probably cooking around 800 degrees.

Poppycock...800F is about the temperature at which the self clean cycle of an
oven operates... would totally incinerate a pizza in about two minutes. The
temperature gage is clearly visable at the front of any pizzeria oven...
doesn't even go to 800F... pizzerias bake pizza at 450F-500F... any hotter and
the sauce and cheese would begin to burn before the dough is baked. Yoose want
crispier pepperoni, slice it THINNER! MORONS!!!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Wayne

"Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in
:

> [...]

point when the pepperoni became crisp.

The other difference was the noticable lack of greasiness from the
pepperoni. In every other case I've experienced, the pepperoni grease
was all over the top of the pizza. This, too, leads me to think that it
must have been partially cooked first.

After my original post I began googling "crisp pepperoni", not
necessarily on pizza. Several hits recommended microwaving the pepperoni
between sheets of paper towel before using in the various recipes. The
timing and degree of "doneness" and/or crispiness ranged from merely
extracting some of the fat to complete crispiness for use as a garnish.
That, or some other pre-cooking method, is probably the answer.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
PENMART01

>"Paul M. "for Moron" Kook" blustered:
>
>>"Duh'Wayne" scrawled on his cave wall:
>>
>>Made a pizza but the pepperoni never >>reached that state of crispness.

How'd >>they do that?

>Well consider that a pizzeria oven is >probably cooking around 800 degrees.

Poppycock...800F is about the temperature at which the self clean cycle of an
oven operates... would totally incinerate a pizza in about two minutes. The
temperature gage is clearly visable at the front of any pizzeria oven...
doesn't even go to 800F... pizzerias bake pizza at 450F-500F... any hotter and
the sauce and cheese would begin to burn before the dough is baked. Yoose want
crispier pepperoni, slice it THINNER! MORONS!!!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>"Paul M. "for Moron" Kook" blustered:
>
>>"Duh'Wayne" scrawled on his cave wall:
>>
>>Made a pizza but the pepperoni never >>reached that state of crispness.

How'd >>they do that?

>Well consider that a pizzeria oven is >probably cooking around 800 degrees.

Poppycock...800F is about the temperature at which the self clean cycle of an
oven operates... would totally incinerate a pizza in about two minutes. The
temperature gage is clearly visable at the front of any pizzeria oven...
doesn't even go to 800F... pizzerias bake pizza at 450F-500F... any hotter and
the sauce and cheese would begin to burn before the dough is baked. Yoose want
crispier pepperoni, slice it THINNER! MORONS!!!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
stark

In article >, Wayne
> wrote:

> What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping the
> pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?

Somebody, maybe it's Hormel, makes a Turkey Pepperoni that's not bad.
Has a pepperoni zing but is less greasy.
W ä l r ü s

That is what I use & it's great!

"stark" > wrote in message
> In article >, Wayne
> > wrote:
>
> > What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping the
> > pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?
> >

> Somebody, maybe it's Hormel, makes a Turkey Pepperoni that's not bad.
> Has a pepperoni zing but is less greasy.

Wayne

stark > wrote in
:

> In article >, Wayne
> > wrote:
>
>> What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping
>> the pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?
>>

> Somebody, maybe it's Hormel, makes a Turkey Pepperoni that's not bad.
> Has a pepperoni zing but is less greasy.

Thanks. That's worth a try, but I doubt it would have quite the same
flavor.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

stark > wrote in
:

> In article >, Wayne
> > wrote:
>
>> What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping
>> the pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?
>>

> Somebody, maybe it's Hormel, makes a Turkey Pepperoni that's not bad.
> Has a pepperoni zing but is less greasy.

Thanks. That's worth a try, but I doubt it would have quite the same
flavor.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

W ä l r ü s

That is what I use & it's great!

"stark" > wrote in message
> In article >, Wayne
> > wrote:
>
> > What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping the
> > pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?
> >

> Somebody, maybe it's Hormel, makes a Turkey Pepperoni that's not bad.
> Has a pepperoni zing but is less greasy.

Steve Calvin

Wayne wrote:

> I make a mean pizza, great dough/crust, various and really good sauces =

and=20
> toppings, but I've never been a fan of pepperoni until recently. I alw=

ays=20
> thought it was too greasy, tasted undone (I know it's already cured). =

> Recently, however, I ordered pizzas with friends at an obscure little=20
> pizzeria. They ordered pepperoni, and when it came to the table, it di=

dn't=20
> look like any pepperoni I'd ever seen. It was definitely less greasy, =

and=20
> was somehow cooked to a fair degree of crispness. One taste lead to=20
> another and it was really delicious.
>=20
> I asked about the pepperoni and bought the same last week. Made a pizz=

a=20
> tonight and it was delicious, but the pepperoni never reached that stat=

e of=20
> crispness. How'd they do that?
>=20
> I bake pizzas in a 550=B0F oven that's been preheated for 45-60 minutes=

=2E I=20
> use a 3/4" baking stone. My crusts and cheeses are beautifully browned=

=2E
>=20
> What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping th=

e=20
> pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?
>=20
> Thanks for any tips!
>=20

Fry it first. You'll never be able to duplicate their pies in a 550dF=20
oven. Frying it first will take some of the fat off, start the=20
crisping which will finish in the oven and not add much oil to the pie.

--=20
Steve

Wayne

Steve Calvin > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> I make a mean pizza, great dough/crust, various and really good
>> sauces

> and
>> toppings, but I've never been a fan of pepperoni until recently. I
>> alw

> ays
>> thought it was too greasy, tasted undone (I know it's already cured).
>>

>> Recently, however, I ordered pizzas with friends at an obscure little
>> pizzeria. They ordered pepperoni, and when it came to the table, it
>> di

> dn't
>> look like any pepperoni I'd ever seen. It was definitely less
>> greasy,

> and
>> was somehow cooked to a fair degree of crispness. One taste lead to
>> another and it was really delicious.
>>
>> I asked about the pepperoni and bought the same last week. Made a
>> pizz

>> tonight and it was delicious, but the pepperoni never reached that
>> stat

> e of
>> crispness. How'd they do that?
>>
>> I bake pizzas in a 550°F oven that's been preheated for 45-60 minutes

> . I
>> use a 3/4" baking stone. My crusts and cheeses are beautifully
>> browned

> .
>>
>> What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping
>> th

>> pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?
>>
>> Thanks for any tips!
>>

> Fry it first. You'll never be able to duplicate their pies in a 550dF
> oven. Frying it first will take some of the fat off, start the
> crisping which will finish in the oven and not add much oil to the
> pie.

I think that's the ticket. Fried or nuked, then onto the pizza. If my
pizza turns out the way it usually does, but with the crisped pepperoni,
I'd be very happy.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Steve Calvin

Wayne wrote:

<snip>
> I think that's the ticket. Fried or nuked, then onto the pizza. If my
> pizza turns out the way it usually does, but with the crisped pepperoni,
> I'd be very happy.

Nuking may work too and it'll be easier probably.

--
Steve

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some folks just don't have any film.

Wayne

Steve Calvin > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> I make a mean pizza, great dough/crust, various and really good
>> sauces

> and
>> toppings, but I've never been a fan of pepperoni until recently. I
>> alw

> ays
>> thought it was too greasy, tasted undone (I know it's already cured).
>>

>> Recently, however, I ordered pizzas with friends at an obscure little
>> pizzeria. They ordered pepperoni, and when it came to the table, it
>> di

> dn't
>> look like any pepperoni I'd ever seen. It was definitely less
>> greasy,

> and
>> was somehow cooked to a fair degree of crispness. One taste lead to
>> another and it was really delicious.
>>
>> I asked about the pepperoni and bought the same last week. Made a
>> pizz

>> tonight and it was delicious, but the pepperoni never reached that
>> stat

> e of
>> crispness. How'd they do that?
>>
>> I bake pizzas in a 550°F oven that's been preheated for 45-60 minutes

> . I
>> use a 3/4" baking stone. My crusts and cheeses are beautifully
>> browned

> .
>>
>> What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping
>> th

>> pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?
>>
>> Thanks for any tips!
>>

> Fry it first. You'll never be able to duplicate their pies in a 550dF
> oven. Frying it first will take some of the fat off, start the
> crisping which will finish in the oven and not add much oil to the
> pie.

I think that's the ticket. Fried or nuked, then onto the pizza. If my
pizza turns out the way it usually does, but with the crisped pepperoni,
I'd be very happy.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Frogleg

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 03:27:49 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>I asked about the pepperoni and bought the same last week. Made a pizza
>tonight and it was delicious, but the pepperoni never reached that state of
>crispness. How'd they do that?

I don't know how *they* do it, but I nuke pepperoni (slices) on lots
of paper towels before I use it for pizza. Think 'bacon.'
stark

In article >, Wayne
> wrote:

> What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping the
> pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?

Somebody, maybe it's Hormel, makes a Turkey Pepperoni that's not bad.
Has a pepperoni zing but is less greasy.
Paul M. Cook©®

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> I make a mean pizza, great dough/crust, various and really good sauces and
> toppings, but I've never been a fan of pepperoni until recently. I always
> thought it was too greasy, tasted undone (I know it's already cured).
> Recently, however, I ordered pizzas with friends at an obscure little
> pizzeria. They ordered pepperoni, and when it came to the table, it

didn't
> look like any pepperoni I'd ever seen. It was definitely less greasy, and
> was somehow cooked to a fair degree of crispness. One taste lead to
> another and it was really delicious.
>
> I asked about the pepperoni and bought the same last week. Made a pizza
> tonight and it was delicious, but the pepperoni never reached that state

of
> crispness. How'd they do that?
>
> I bake pizzas in a 550°F oven that's been preheated for 45-60 minutes. I
> use a 3/4" baking stone. My crusts and cheeses are beautifully browned.
>
> What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping the
> pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?
>
> Thanks for any tips!

Well consider that a pizzeria oven is probably cooking around 800 degrees.
They can fully cook a large pizza in 8 minutes or less. That kind of heat
is just not possible in a home oven. Pizza ovens are perhaps 8 inches tall
inside, fully lined with brick. They can focus intense heat onto the pizza.
Again, something quite impossible top do at home in a conventional oven.

Some things you just cannot replicate at home unless you have a kitchen like
Martha Stewart.

Paul

stark

In article >, Wayne
> wrote:

> What should I try? Perhaps pre-cooking the pepperoni before topping the
> pizza? What might be the best way to pre-cook it? Broil?

Somebody, maybe it's Hormel, makes a Turkey Pepperoni that's not bad.
Has a pepperoni zing but is less greasy.
Frogleg