Sam D.

Default Reunion Food?

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on

Lake
> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take,

but
> it's being catered and most of the bases are covered. There will be

a lot
> of boating and both of the jet skis will get a workout. The older
> relatives will be using the pontoon boat so I was thinking of doing

some
> 'boat food'. Any ideas? Anything with mayo is out of the question

> think. Something snacky maybe. I'm at a loss on this one. There

will be
> 40 of us.

There is plenty of fresh fruit in season right now. We do a lot of
boating -- I just spent 4 days on our sailboat -- and fresh fruit
makes a satisfying and refreshing snack almost anytime. We had
canteloupes and papayas that we pre-cut into bite-size pieces. We also
had nectarines, grapes, bananas and mangoes. The magoes were terrific
but they are a bit messy to snack on.

hahabogus

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
4:

> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on Lake
> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take,
> but it's being catered and most of the bases are covered. There will
> be a lot of boating and both of the jet skis will get a workout. The
> older relatives will be using the pontoon boat so I was thinking of
> doing some 'boat food'. Any ideas? Anything with mayo is out of the
> question I think. Something snacky maybe. I'm at a loss on this one.
> There will be 40 of us.
>
> Michael <- can't water ski, jet ski or swim... dammit

I'm thinking pitchers of long island iced tea....It'll be hot out on those
boats. And nothing make you want to go a pirating like Long Island Iced
Tea. Arrr Matey!

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
hahabogus

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
4:

> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on Lake
> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take,
> but it's being catered and most of the bases are covered. There will
> be a lot of boating and both of the jet skis will get a workout. The
> older relatives will be using the pontoon boat so I was thinking of
> doing some 'boat food'. Any ideas? Anything with mayo is out of the
> question I think. Something snacky maybe. I'm at a loss on this one.
> There will be 40 of us.
>
> Michael <- can't water ski, jet ski or swim... dammit

I'm thinking pitchers of long island iced tea....It'll be hot out on those
boats. And nothing make you want to go a pirating like Long Island Iced
Tea. Arrr Matey!

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Nexis

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on Lake
> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take, but
> it's being catered and most of the bases are covered. There will be a lot
> of boating and both of the jet skis will get a workout. The older
> relatives will be using the pontoon boat so I was thinking of doing some
> 'boat food'. Any ideas? Anything with mayo is out of the question I
> think. Something snacky maybe. I'm at a loss on this one. There will be
> 40 of us.
>
> Michael <- can't water ski, jet ski or swim... dammit
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Michael,

Before I answer...How ya doin? Feeling much better I hope??

Boat food...when we go out on the sail boat, I like to pack alot of what my
daughter calls juicy food. In other words, fruits and veggies. Mostly
because being out on the water makes me feel dehydrated and thirsty.
Depending on what's in season, I pack a bowl of veggies, maybe some dip. I
have an awesome pyrex type bowl with a separator which has a spot for the
dip bowl, and it came with a cold pack case. Just pull the cold packs out of
the freezer and slip them in the case. Keeps the dip cold all day. I like to
take what I call personal size fruits...apples, nectarines, plums, peaches,
and the like. When cherries are in season I take at least a couple pounds.
Very refreshing! Watermelon, which I cut into chunks before taking, and such
too. Get a soft sided cooler and pack it up with freezer packs and fruits &
veggies. Add in a snack mix, like one of those cereal/pretzel/nut combos,
some small pb&j sammies, and some crackers and cheese and you're set.

kimberly

Nexis

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on Lake
> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take, but
> it's being catered and most of the bases are covered. There will be a lot
> of boating and both of the jet skis will get a workout. The older
> relatives will be using the pontoon boat so I was thinking of doing some
> 'boat food'. Any ideas? Anything with mayo is out of the question I
> think. Something snacky maybe. I'm at a loss on this one. There will be
> 40 of us.
>
> Michael <- can't water ski, jet ski or swim... dammit
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Michael,

Before I answer...How ya doin? Feeling much better I hope??

Boat food...when we go out on the sail boat, I like to pack alot of what my
daughter calls juicy food. In other words, fruits and veggies. Mostly
because being out on the water makes me feel dehydrated and thirsty.
Depending on what's in season, I pack a bowl of veggies, maybe some dip. I
have an awesome pyrex type bowl with a separator which has a spot for the
dip bowl, and it came with a cold pack case. Just pull the cold packs out of
the freezer and slip them in the case. Keeps the dip cold all day. I like to
take what I call personal size fruits...apples, nectarines, plums, peaches,
and the like. When cherries are in season I take at least a couple pounds.
Very refreshing! Watermelon, which I cut into chunks before taking, and such
too. Get a soft sided cooler and pack it up with freezer packs and fruits &
veggies. Add in a snack mix, like one of those cereal/pretzel/nut combos,
some small pb&j sammies, and some crackers and cheese and you're set.

kimberly

Nexis

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on Lake
> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take, but
> it's being catered and most of the bases are covered. There will be a lot
> of boating and both of the jet skis will get a workout. The older
> relatives will be using the pontoon boat so I was thinking of doing some
> 'boat food'. Any ideas? Anything with mayo is out of the question I
> think. Something snacky maybe. I'm at a loss on this one. There will be
> 40 of us.
>
> Michael <- can't water ski, jet ski or swim... dammit
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Michael,

Before I answer...How ya doin? Feeling much better I hope??

Boat food...when we go out on the sail boat, I like to pack alot of what my
daughter calls juicy food. In other words, fruits and veggies. Mostly
because being out on the water makes me feel dehydrated and thirsty.
Depending on what's in season, I pack a bowl of veggies, maybe some dip. I
have an awesome pyrex type bowl with a separator which has a spot for the
dip bowl, and it came with a cold pack case. Just pull the cold packs out of
the freezer and slip them in the case. Keeps the dip cold all day. I like to
take what I call personal size fruits...apples, nectarines, plums, peaches,
and the like. When cherries are in season I take at least a couple pounds.
Very refreshing! Watermelon, which I cut into chunks before taking, and such
too. Get a soft sided cooler and pack it up with freezer packs and fruits &
veggies. Add in a snack mix, like one of those cereal/pretzel/nut combos,
some small pb&j sammies, and some crackers and cheese and you're set.

kimberly

The Joneses

Dog3 wrote:

> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on Lake
> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take, but
> it's being catered and most of the bases are covered. There will be a lot
> of boating and both of the jet skis will get a workout. The older
> relatives will be using the pontoon boat so I was thinking of doing some
> 'boat food'. Any ideas? Anything with mayo is out of the question I
> think. Something snacky maybe. I'm at a loss on this one. There will be
> 40 of us.

How's about fresh fruit kabobs? cold smoked salmon & cream cheese with a dab
of horseradish. I'm making myself hungry.
Edrena, swimmin' like a fish

The Joneses

Dog3 wrote:

> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on Lake
> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take, but
> it's being catered and most of the bases are covered. There will be a lot
> of boating and both of the jet skis will get a workout. The older
> relatives will be using the pontoon boat so I was thinking of doing some
> 'boat food'. Any ideas? Anything with mayo is out of the question I
> think. Something snacky maybe. I'm at a loss on this one. There will be
> 40 of us.

How's about fresh fruit kabobs? cold smoked salmon & cream cheese with a dab
of horseradish. I'm making myself hungry.
Edrena, swimmin' like a fish

The Joneses

Dog3 wrote:

> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on Lake
> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take, but
> it's being catered and most of the bases are covered. There will be a lot
> of boating and both of the jet skis will get a workout. The older
> relatives will be using the pontoon boat so I was thinking of doing some
> 'boat food'. Any ideas? Anything with mayo is out of the question I
> think. Something snacky maybe. I'm at a loss on this one. There will be
> 40 of us.

How's about fresh fruit kabobs? cold smoked salmon & cream cheese with a dab
of horseradish. I'm making myself hungry.
Edrena, swimmin' like a fish

jmcquown

The Joneses wrote:
> Dog3 wrote:
>
>> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on Lake
>> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take,

(snip)
> How's about fresh fruit kabobs? cold smoked salmon & cream cheese
> with a dab of horseradish. I'm making myself hungry.
> Edrena, swimmin' like a fish

I like this idea a lot!

Jill

jmcquown

The Joneses wrote:
> Dog3 wrote:
>
>> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on Lake
>> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take,

(snip)
> How's about fresh fruit kabobs? cold smoked salmon & cream cheese
> with a dab of horseradish. I'm making myself hungry.
> Edrena, swimmin' like a fish

I like this idea a lot!

Jill

Jeff Russell

Teriyaki chicken wings and beer.

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on Lake
> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take, but
> it's being catered and most of the bases are covered. There will be a lot
> of boating and both of the jet skis will get a workout. The older
> relatives will be using the pontoon boat so I was thinking of doing some
> 'boat food'. Any ideas? Anything with mayo is out of the question I
> think. Something snacky maybe. I'm at a loss on this one. There will be
> 40 of us.
>
> Michael <- can't water ski, jet ski or swim... dammit
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Jeff Russell

Teriyaki chicken wings and beer.

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> I'll be at a family reunion this weekend at my brother's home on Lake
> Springfield in Illinois. I'm trying to think up something to take, but
> it's being catered and most of the bases are covered. There will be a lot
> of boating and both of the jet skis will get a workout. The older
> relatives will be using the pontoon boat so I was thinking of doing some
> 'boat food'. Any ideas? Anything with mayo is out of the question I
> think. Something snacky maybe. I'm at a loss on this one. There will be
> 40 of us.
>
> Michael <- can't water ski, jet ski or swim... dammit
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Tara

I would bring fruit or booze -- spiked lemonade is yummy. How about
some tortilla roll-ups if you want something savory?

Tara
Tara

I would bring fruit or booze -- spiked lemonade is yummy. How about
some tortilla roll-ups if you want something savory?

Tara

Tara

I would bring fruit or booze -- spiked lemonade is yummy. How about
some tortilla roll-ups if you want something savory?

Tara
The Joneses

Dog3 wrote:

> "jmcquown" > got ****ed off and typed
> :
>
> > The Joneses wrote:

> > (snip)
> >> How's about fresh fruit kabobs? cold smoked salmon & cream cheese
> >> with a dab of horseradish. I'm making myself hungry.
> >> Edrena, swimmin' like a fish

> > I like this idea a lot!
> >
> > Jill

> Thanks to all who gave ideas. I'll be traveling a couple of hours and the
> weather is supposed to be warm this weekend. I'm not schleping a cooler up
> there so some of the perishables mentioned I'm keeping in mind for home
> parties.
>
> I opted for fruit. Got some fresh melons from the farmers market. I'll
> decide how to prepare it when I get to the brother's house. I also bought
> 24 really nice seedless oranges. I'm thinking about injecting them with
> vodka and then chilling them really cold. Other libations will be
> provided. I also bought 3 huge bunches of grapes. I'm going to freeze
> these when I get there. I'm leaving tomorrow but the big bash is Saturday.
> If I had more energy I'd go shopping Friday after getting there and do the
> fruit kabob salmon suggestion. Oh, I also bought a crate of strawberries.
> I'm sure my mother will latch onto the strawberries and whip up one of her
> fruit dipping sauces. I'm not going to over do it. There will be plenty
> of food up at the house.

EEEEK. I never meant the salmon & fruit should be served together. Put the
salmon in the cream cheese and the lime in the coconut, then you'll feel
better.
Do taste the oranges first. I just don't trust the leetle orange buggers.
Sometimes they're nice and sometimes not. OTOH, cantaloupe & that eyetalian ham
stuff go nice together.
Edrena

sf

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:26:39 GMT, Tara
> wrote:

> I would bring fruit or booze -- spiked lemonade is yummy.

You reminded me of (whole) watermelons or oranges - spiked
with vodka! You supposedly sipped from straws poked into
the watermelon/orange.

Did anyone ever actually do that?

sf

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:26:39 GMT, Tara
> wrote:

> I would bring fruit or booze -- spiked lemonade is yummy.

You reminded me of (whole) watermelons or oranges - spiked
with vodka! You supposedly sipped from straws poked into
the watermelon/orange.

Did anyone ever actually do that?

Julia Altshuler

sf wrote:

> You reminded me of (whole) watermelons or oranges - spiked
> with vodka! You supposedly sipped from straws poked into
> the watermelon/orange.
>
> Did anyone ever actually do that?

I've never done it myself, but I've tasted that what others prepared.
The straws didn't work since the fruit was too thick. It was never
really a liquid inside so no liquid could get sucked into the straw.
You'd have to keep moving the straw all over. As a novelty, the idea of
cutting into a watermelon and finding it alcholic was cute, but for
taste, it was wretched. Mixed drinks make much more sense.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

sf wrote:

> You reminded me of (whole) watermelons or oranges - spiked
> with vodka! You supposedly sipped from straws poked into
> the watermelon/orange.
>
> Did anyone ever actually do that?

I've never done it myself, but I've tasted that what others prepared.
The straws didn't work since the fruit was too thick. It was never
really a liquid inside so no liquid could get sucked into the straw.
You'd have to keep moving the straw all over. As a novelty, the idea of
cutting into a watermelon and finding it alcholic was cute, but for
taste, it was wretched. Mixed drinks make much more sense.

--Lia

sf

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:49:39 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > You reminded me of (whole) watermelons or oranges - spiked
> > with vodka! You supposedly sipped from straws poked into
> > the watermelon/orange.
> >
> > Did anyone ever actually do that?

> I've never done it myself, but I've tasted that what others prepared.
> The straws didn't work since the fruit was too thick. It was never
> really a liquid inside so no liquid could get sucked into the straw.
> You'd have to keep moving the straw all over. As a novelty, the idea of
> cutting into a watermelon and finding it alcholic was cute, but for
> taste, it was wretched. Mixed drinks make much more sense.

Thanks... that has always been my suspicion!

sf

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:49:39 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > You reminded me of (whole) watermelons or oranges - spiked
> > with vodka! You supposedly sipped from straws poked into
> > the watermelon/orange.
> >
> > Did anyone ever actually do that?

> I've never done it myself, but I've tasted that what others prepared.
> The straws didn't work since the fruit was too thick. It was never
> really a liquid inside so no liquid could get sucked into the straw.
> You'd have to keep moving the straw all over. As a novelty, the idea of
> cutting into a watermelon and finding it alcholic was cute, but for
> taste, it was wretched. Mixed drinks make much more sense.

Thanks... that has always been my suspicion!

JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:26:39 GMT, Tarac > wrote:
>I would bring fruit or booze -- spiked
>lemonade is yummy.

Though now much too late to offer to Michael, jarvis57 reminded me of
the surprise I like to make: washed and seperated seedless grapes,
using the green ones taste-tested for sweetness first seems to be best;
refer-soak grapes overnight, drowned in Creme de Menth liquor, with a
serving time good drain to then roll in powdered sugar and set into a
pretty bowl. Though this one wouldn't lend to ease on a boating trip,
it is quite enjoyed at home, or if the still soaking very cold grapes
are taken to another's kitchen gathering for the drain and sugaring
there.

Picky ~JA~

JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms