terri.pinder

Default quick orange sauce for dessert?

For Christmas, I am making pears poached in red wine, honey and spices for
dessert, and I would like to serve it with an orange or Grand Marnier sauce.
I guess I could boil down the poaching liquid to make a syrup, but what I
would really like to serve with it is acreamy orange sauce.

I have a recipe for a Grand Marnier sauce, but it is really complicated and
I think it actually ends up being sort of fluffy, and I am not looking for a
fluffy sauce. I want something that I can pool on the plate under the
pears, and then drizzle over the top of the pear, and it be thick enough not
to run all the way down to the bottom of the pear, but would stop about
half-way down the pear. I am imagining a creamy type of sauce. It would be
great if I could make it ahead. (It doesn't have to be warm when I serve
it). Any suggestions?

PENMART01

"terri.pinder" writes:

>For Christmas, I am making pears poached in red wine, honey and spices for
>dessert, and I would like to serve it with an orange or Grand Marnier sauce.
>I guess I could boil down the poaching liquid to make a syrup, but what I
>would really like to serve with it is acreamy orange sauce.

Pears don't go well with citrus.. too overpowering... waste of good pears. I
wouldn't poach pears in red wine either, again too overpowering. Poach pears
in white wine and serve with a Champagne Sabayon.

Champagne Sabayon
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003

2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup sparkling wine
Poached Pears, recipe follows

Fill a 1-quart saucepan half-full with water over medium heat and bring to a
simmer.
Place all ingredients in a medium stainless steel bowl and whisk until well
combined. Place the bowl over the saucepan and continue to whisk until the
sauce is thick and doubled in volume, 3 to 5 minutes. The sauce should be thick
enough so that it will support a ribbon of sauce trailing off the end of the
spoon when lifted.

Serve warm over poached pears in small bowls or decorative glasses.

Poached Pears:
12 pears
1 bottle sweet white wine, (Moscato, Muscat, Riesling, etc.)
1 vanilla bean, split
Cut a small "x" on the bottom of each pear. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil
and set up a large bowl of ice water. Add the pears to the boiling water and
cook for 15 to 30 seconds, just to loosen skin. Remove and immediately plunge
into the ice water. Slip the skins off the pears. Halve and remove the pits.

Combine the wine and vanilla bean in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and
simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pears, cover and simmer gently for 3 to 5
minutes, or just until the pears are tender.

Remove the pears from the poaching liquid and chill. Top with the sabayon.
---

Of course some kitchen idjit is going to wonder what to do with the poaching
liquid... cooks treat, naturally... pour into tall galss of chipped ice and
spike with vodka... or thicken with cornstarch, stir in butter, and use to
dress bread pudding.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> Of course some kitchen idjit is going to wonder what to do with the

poaching
> liquid... cooks treat, naturally... pour into tall galss of chipped ice

and
> spike with vodka... or thicken with cornstarch, stir in butter, and use to
> dress bread pudding.

Does it have any lubricating qualities?

Jack Viscous