al

Default Quality knife shops in London

Any recommendations? I see some in the departments stores on Oxford Street,
but they are pretty limited collections and the staff are crap. I've
narrowed my choice down to a few and need to see + feel to make up my mind!
I'm now looking at Sabatier, Global, Wusthof and Henckels and I want a
carving knife and a more general chefs knife. From the look of the small
pics I've seen on the web, the Global ones aren't so pretty (very important
factor and I prefer wood handles, but otherwise I'm finding it very hard
to choose.

Originally wanted Japanese Damascus style knives, but just can't find them
in the regular shops or even online local sites (plenty for the US, but not
here).

al

"al" > wrote in message
> Originally wanted Japanese Damascus style knives, but just can't find them
> in the regular shops or even online local sites (plenty for the US, but

not
> here).

Just found the following site:

http://www.japaneseknifecompany.com

They are London based and seem to have some good reviews. Some of their
custom knives are over £1000!! Not my end of the spectrum though

Anyone bought from them?

limey

"al" wrote in message

> Any recommendations? I see some in the departments stores on Oxford

Street,
> but they are pretty limited collections and the staff are crap. I've
> narrowed my choice down to a few and need to see + feel to make up my

mind!
> I'm now looking at Sabatier, Global, Wusthof and Henckels and I want a
> carving knife and a more general chefs knife. From the look of the small
> pics I've seen on the web, the Global ones aren't so pretty (very

important
> factor and I prefer wood handles, but otherwise I'm finding it very

hard
> to choose.
>
> Originally wanted Japanese Damascus style knives, but just can't find them
> in the regular shops or even online local sites (plenty for the US, but

not
> here).

Al, you might also like to pose your question in uk.food+drink.misc or
rec.food.equipment, to give your question more exposure. Good luck.

Dora

J. Random Luser

al wrote:
> Any recommendations? I see some in the departments stores on Oxford Street,
> but they are pretty limited collections and the staff are crap. I've
> narrowed my choice down to a few and need to see + feel to make up my mind!
> I'm now looking at Sabatier, Global, Wusthof and Henckels and I want a
> carving knife and a more general chefs knife. From the look of the small
> pics I've seen on the web, the Global ones aren't so pretty (very important
> factor and I prefer wood handles, but otherwise I'm finding it very hard
> to choose.
>
> Originally wanted Japanese Damascus style knives, but just can't find them
> in the regular shops or even online local sites (plenty for the US, but not
> here).

I found some decent'ish knives at Allders. While not Japanese Damascus
style knives, they perform quite well.

http://www.allders.com/id-201/Product.go

cheers,
jr.