MrJP

Default A Challenge!

Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth! I
need a recipe that:
a) is preferably a meat dish,
b) contains no garlic or onions,
c) has no melted cheese,
d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)

Quite a challenge!! Its a complete nightmare, because I absolutely
love all of the above, only he just won't eat it!

Thanks to anyone in advance for coming up with a recipe - I'll be
eternally grateful!

Jon x
hahabogus

(MrJP) wrote in
m:

> Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
> night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth! I
> need a recipe that:
> a) is preferably a meat dish,
> b) contains no garlic or onions,
> c) has no melted cheese,
> d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
> e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)
>
> Quite a challenge!! Its a complete nightmare, because I absolutely
> love all of the above, only he just won't eat it!
>
> Thanks to anyone in advance for coming up with a recipe - I'll be
> eternally grateful!
>
> Jon x

English style roast beef with the gravy, roast potatoes, french cut green
beans and Yorkshire pudding. Seasoned with mostly salt and pepper (any
other spices are your preference).

Grilled Salmon olive oil on the skin side...brushed several times with
butter and irish whiskey (or booze of choice) mixed 1/2 and 1/2 during
cooking on the flesh side. Put the fillet on the BBQ skin side down takes
about 5-10 minutes depending on fillet thickness. Don't flip it. Will come
off the grill leaving the skin behind.

Any steak t-bone, NY strip, etc. Seasoned with fresh ground black pepper
rubbed into the meat 10-15 minutes prior to cooking and lightly salted just
before cooking.

A Crown roast of pork...with stuffing.

A roast turkey or a breast of roast turkey.

pork chops with apple sauce.

look at/in a older Betty Crocker cookbook.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
A.C.

"MrJP" > wrote in message
m...
> Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
> night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth! I
> need a recipe that:
> a) is preferably a meat dish,
> b) contains no garlic or onions,
> c) has no melted cheese,
> d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
> e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)
>
> Quite a challenge!! Its a complete nightmare, because I absolutely
> love all of the above, only he just won't eat it!
>
> Thanks to anyone in advance for coming up with a recipe - I'll be
> eternally grateful!
>
> Jon x

sounds like a good ole steak, baked potato and veggies might do the trick.
can i ask a question or two about your dad? i've always wondered why picky
eaters are the way they are and i've noticed that most of the picky eaters i
know are 1. smokers and 2. thin.

Darkginger

"MrJP" > wrote in message
m...
> Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
> night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth! I
> need a recipe that:
> a) is preferably a meat dish,
> b) contains no garlic or onions,
> c) has no melted cheese,
> d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
> e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)
>
> Quite a challenge!! Its a complete nightmare, because I absolutely
> love all of the above, only he just won't eat it!

I don't know whether a whiskey/mustard sauce would be considered 'spicy',
but if not, the following might be of interest:

Loin of Lamb wrapped in puff pastry (serves 4)

2 loins of lamb (about 12 oz each)
6 slices (rashers) of bacon, preferaby Irish (but if you're in the US, the
style of bacon I'm talking about is, I think, called 'Canadian' bacon)
I packet of frozen puff pastry (unless you make your own, of course, but
it's to much bother for me)
1 egg
vegetable oil

Brown the lamb (which should be tied into a round shape with string, if it
isn't round already) in the oil until quite darkly coloured all over. Remove
lamb, reserve juices in pan. Wrap 3 rashers around each loin, then wrap
again in the puff pastry, rolled out to about 1/4" thick. Brush with beaten
egg. Bake in a 400 degree oven for around 30-40 mins, depending on how well
done you like lamb. Serve with the following sauce:

Melt 1 tsp of butter in the pan you browned the lamb in (with the lamb
juices). Add a 1/4 cup of Irish whiskey, reduce by half. Add 3/4 of a cup of
chicken or lamb stock. Reduce by half again. Stir in 2 tablespoons of grain
mustard such as Lakeshore's Tipperary Pub mustard, or something similar with
whole mustard grains in it.

Serve the lamb cut into 3 slices per person (ie, 12 in total), and arrange
in a shamrock shape on a plate (this is my alternative St Patrick's Day
dish, culled from The Irish Heritage Cookbook by Margaret M Johnson),
surround with sauce, garnish with watercress, and eat!

Note to others, who can eat onions - the sauce is more properly made by
sweating a chopped shallot in the butter and lamb juices before adding the
whiskey. It only adds a small nuance to the final result, though, so
thought it was worth giving the recipe without it.

Jo

---

Julia Altshuler

MrJP wrote:
> Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
> night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth! I
> need a recipe that:
> a) is preferably a meat dish,
> b) contains no garlic or onions,
> c) has no melted cheese,
> d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
> e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)

I see that others have suggested a good steak, and I'll throw my vote
with the majority. If you want it to be fancier for the other guests,
saute a variety of mushrooms to serve on the side. BTW, your father is
not the fussiest eater. He's practically a dream come true compared to
many I know.

--Lia

Pepi

Hi Jon,

I know what youo mean, I have a few family members that are very fussy or
allergic to certain foods. How's about a pork tenderloin marinated in
balsamic vinegar & some dijon mustard & herbs & grilled then sliced, mashed
pototoes, baby string beans or brocoli, a baby spinach salad with a honey
mustard dressing & if you want to you can fit in a nice sorbet for dessert,
it's light & refreshing in this hot weather.
Take care,

"MrJP" > wrote in message
m...
> Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
> night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth! I
> need a recipe that:
> a) is preferably a meat dish,
> b) contains no garlic or onions,
> c) has no melted cheese,
> d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
> e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)
>
> Quite a challenge!! Its a complete nightmare, because I absolutely
> love all of the above, only he just won't eat it!
>
> Thanks to anyone in advance for coming up with a recipe - I'll be
> eternally grateful!
>
> Jon x

Arch

Interesting observation about those who dislike onions and garlic being
smokers or thin. I do know one fat one. However, my observation is that
they are latent homosexuals. Pass this information on to your dad and see
if he comes out of the closet or suddenly develops a taste for onions and
garlic. :-)
Does he eat pizza? If so,the sauce contains garlic and onions. So it is
not the taste of cooked onions and garlic but the texture that he objects
to. I have strained sauces and gravies for such finicky eaters and met
with approval.
I would be careful doing a steak. Sounds like it might have to be done
just so to suit his tender palate. Duck breast?

zxcvbob

MrJP wrote:
> Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
> night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth! I
> need a recipe that:
> a) is preferably a meat dish,
> b) contains no garlic or onions,
> c) has no melted cheese,
> d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
> e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)
>
> Quite a challenge!! Its a complete nightmare, because I absolutely
> love all of the above, only he just won't eat it!
>
> Thanks to anyone in advance for coming up with a recipe - I'll be
> eternally grateful!
>
> Jon x

Easy. Grill or panfry a couple of porterhouse steaks. Serve with very
plain side dishes (like boiled potatoes or an iceberg lettuce salad with
no onions.) Have pickles, onions, cheese, and spicy sauces or
condiments available seperately for those who want them.

Bob
Default User

Nancy Young wrote:

> Makes me cry to think of a pot roast without onions

As I don't like onions, it's not a heartbreak for me!

Brian Rodenborn
C. James Strutz

"MrJP" > wrote in message
m...
> Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
> night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth!

> need a recipe that:
> a) is preferably a meat dish,
> b) contains no garlic or onions,
> c) has no melted cheese,
> d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
> e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)
>
> Quite a challenge!! Its a complete nightmare, because I absolutely
> love all of the above, only he just won't eat it!
>
> Thanks to anyone in advance for coming up with a recipe - I'll be
> eternally grateful!
>
> Jon x

Turkey Divan

C. James Strutz

"MrJP" > wrote in message
m...
> Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
> night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth!

> need a recipe that:
> a) is preferably a meat dish,
> b) contains no garlic or onions,
> c) has no melted cheese,
> d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
> e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)
>
> Quite a challenge!! Its a complete nightmare, because I absolutely
> love all of the above, only he just won't eat it!
>
> Thanks to anyone in advance for coming up with a recipe - I'll be
> eternally grateful!
>
> Jon x

Turkey Divan

Nancy Young

Default User wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Makes me cry to think of a pot roast without onions

> As I don't like onions, it's not a heartbreak for me!

When I was a kid, I really did not like raw onions. My mother would
often serve raw scallions, I guess as the salad. Ugh, I hated them.
Hello, I eat them cooked all the time, why do I have to have them
raw. You can bet I didn't say that, I didn't want to have my head
made a permanent part of the nearest wall. (laugh)

Anyway, cooked in fried rice or in spaghetti sauce or, yes, pot roast,
no problem. Would sincerely miss them. I've even improved to where
I don't pick off the raw onion slices on burgers. But soup without
onions, at least used to make the stock? It would be a hardship for
me.

nancy
Nancy Young

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Makes me cry to think of a pot roast without onions

> As I don't like onions, it's not a heartbreak for me!

When I was a kid, I really did not like raw onions. My mother would
often serve raw scallions, I guess as the salad. Ugh, I hated them.
Hello, I eat them cooked all the time, why do I have to have them
raw. You can bet I didn't say that, I didn't want to have my head
made a permanent part of the nearest wall. (laugh)

Anyway, cooked in fried rice or in spaghetti sauce or, yes, pot roast,
no problem. Would sincerely miss them. I've even improved to where
I don't pick off the raw onion slices on burgers. But soup without
onions, at least used to make the stock? It would be a hardship for
me.

nancy

SportKite1

>From: (MrJP)

>Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
>night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth! I
>need a recipe that:
>a) is preferably a meat dish,
>b) contains no garlic or onions,
>c) has no melted cheese,
>d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
>e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)
>
>Quite a challenge!! Its a complete nightmare, because I absolutely
>love all of the above, only he just won't eat it!
>
>Thanks to anyone in advance for coming up with a recipe - I'll be
>eternally grateful!

I wish you would have given us a clue as to what he DOES like so we could see
what direction to go. That being said, I'm gonna take a chance and guess that
he prefers simple food because those who have used garlic and onions in dishes
he's eaten his whole life have done such a poor job of making them palatable
he doesn't know any better. Heck, I used to hate garlic and onions too until I
had them prepared properly so their flavor was a subtle asset instead of
overpowering whatever dish they found themselves in.

Also, not every onion is equal. Vidalia onions are sweet and delectable when
melted into any dish. Harsh spanish onions could give anyone heartburn and bad
breath and I never use them anymore.

The flavor of Garlic is superb if properly prepared. Knife pureed garlic is
sweet and adds a great dimension to cookery...but chopped garlic, or that
horrible stuff that comes in a jar, will make anyone sick.

At this late date I'm not suggesting that you experiment with your dad. But
maybe in the future develop some dishes with onions and garlic prepared
properly and see if you can sneak it past him. Ya never know.

What I will suggest for tomorrow night is a simple dinner of tenderloin of
pork, rubbed down with dijon mustard, rolled in fresh bread crumbs seasoned
with some freshly chopped Italian parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Brown on all
sides in an oven safe skillet (using olive oil), toss in one bay leaf and
finish in a 375 oven for 20-30 minutes.

When it's done I would remove the pork - and the bay leaf - and hit the hot pan
with an oz of bourbon (just a nip), let sizzle for a few minutes - stir up all
the bits, then add a 1/2 cup of beef broth and cook out for a few minutes over
a medium flame then remove from the heat, and add two T of cold butter and stir
through for a sauce to lightly glaze the pork when you serve it.

Boil up some red skinned potatoes, hand mash with cream, butter, salt and
pepper. Garnish with some finely chopped fresh parsley.

Serve with fresh succotash - boil corn on the cob for 4 minutes in salted
water, remove from the cob (don't forget to scrape the cobs and add the "cream"
to the corn nibs), a small can of baby limas, a splash of heavy cream, some
salt and pepper and saute quickly to combine the flavors.

Plate your dad's dish with a pile of the mashed potatoes in the center, some
slices of the pork loin fanned around them drizzled with the pan sauce and add
a generous scoop of the succotash on the side. Some fresh tomato concasse
flavored with balsmic vinegar, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper would add a
fresh touch but maybe your Dad doesn't like tomatoes either...lol.

Ellen

SportKite1

> [...]

through for a sauce to lightly glaze the pork when you serve it.

Boil up some red skinned potatoes, hand mash with cream, butter, salt and
pepper. Garnish with some finely chopped fresh parsley.

Serve with fresh succotash - boil corn on the cob for 4 minutes in salted
water, remove from the cob (don't forget to scrape the cobs and add the "cream"
to the corn nibs), a small can of baby limas, a splash of heavy cream, some
salt and pepper and saute quickly to combine the flavors.

Plate your dad's dish with a pile of the mashed potatoes in the center, some
slices of the pork loin fanned around them drizzled with the pan sauce and add
a generous scoop of the succotash on the side. Some fresh tomato concasse
flavored with balsmic vinegar, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper would add a
fresh touch but maybe your Dad doesn't like tomatoes either...lol.

Terry Pulliam Burd

On 13 Jul 2004 08:03:47 -0700, (MrJP) arranged
random neurons, so they looked like this:

>Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
>night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth! I
>need a recipe that:
>a) is preferably a meat dish,
>b) contains no garlic or onions,
>c) has no melted cheese,
>d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
>e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)
>
>Quite a challenge!! Its a complete nightmare, because I absolutely
>love all of the above, only he just won't eat it!
>
>Thanks to anyone in advance for coming up with a recipe - I'll be
>eternally grateful!

This is a pretty simple recipe, but flavorful (just leave off the
chives if he doesn't like onions, but I'll bet he won't be able to
taste onion if you leave them in).

----- Now You're Cooking! v5.60 [Meal-Master Export Format]

Title: Beef Medallions With Cognac Sauce
Categories: meats and poultry
Yield: 2 servings

2 tb butter
1/4 c shallots; chopped
1 ts brown sugar; packed
1 c chicken broth
1 1/4 c beef broth
1/2 c Cognac or brandy
1/4 c whipping cream
2 4 - 5 oz. beef tenderloins;
-about 1 inch thick
fresh chives

Melt 1 T. butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add
shallots
and saute until tender, about 4 mins. Add brown sugar; stir 1 min. Add
chicken broth, beef broth and Cognac. Simmer until sauce is reduced to
1/2
Cup, about 20 mins. Add cream. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover;
chill.)

Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Melt 1 T. butter in heavy medium
skillet over medium high heat. Add steaks; cook to desired doneness,
about
4 mins. per side for rare. Transfer steaks to plates. Add sauce to
skillet;
bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Season to taste with
salt
and pepper.

Slice the steaks; fan slices on plates. Top with sauce and garnish
with
chives.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Contributor: Bon Appetit

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
Curtis Martin

I grew up on a family farm in ND. My Dad pulled a few strings about
being a fussy eater. Cook what you want. If he wants to be rude, let
him go hungry!!
Curt

Jack Schidt®

"MrJP" > wrote in message
m...
> Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
> night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth! I
> need a recipe that:
> a) is preferably a meat dish,
> b) contains no garlic or onions,
> c) has no melted cheese,
> d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
> e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)
>
> Quite a challenge!! Its a complete nightmare, because I absolutely
> love all of the above, only he just won't eat it!
>
> Thanks to anyone in advance for coming up with a recipe - I'll be
> eternally grateful!

Potted Meat!!

Jack Hormelibby

Frogleg

>"MrJP" > wrote

>> Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
>> night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth! I
>> need a recipe that:
>> a) is preferably a meat dish,
>> b) contains no garlic or onions,
>> c) has no melted cheese,
>> d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
>> e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)

Grilled steak. Or a roast. Virtually anything with a "recipe" is going
to be out of his comfort zone.
Frogleg

>"MrJP" > wrote

>> Could anyone help - I'm doing a dinner party for my folks tomorrow
>> night - now, I can cook, but my Dad is the fussiest eater on Earth! I
>> need a recipe that:
>> a) is preferably a meat dish,
>> b) contains no garlic or onions,
>> c) has no melted cheese,
>> d) doesn't have a spicy sauce in any way,
>> e) is not chicken (I always cook chicken)

Grilled steak. Or a roast. Virtually anything with a "recipe" is going
to be out of his comfort zone.

THE CHALLENGE OF THE QUR’AN Stu[_16_] General Cooking 0 05-04-2011 08:10 PM
Challenge piedmont Barbecue 11 07-01-2010 09:22 PM
OK, here's a challenge: Wayne Lundberg Mexican Cooking 11 10-10-2007 06:35 PM
a challenge for Goo dh@. Vegan 2 11-09-2005 08:06 PM
3 Zin challenge Emery Davis Wine 17 14-07-2005 10:55 PM