Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Challenge

Purchase fireplace wood, start a fire and burn down to coals, place coals on
the ground, under a grid placed about 12 inches above the charcoal, place
meat on grid with minimal seasoning. Stay with the meat until cooked,
turning as needed, teach yourself to avoid grease fires by controlling
quantity of coals, and/or by leaving a spot under the grid with no coals so
you can pull meat 'off' coals until things settle down. Lightly baste meat
occasionally which can do two things, help cool coals to ease flame ups and
helps keep meat moist as well as adds a bit of flavor from added spices. (Do
not use sugar for any spices)

Do it.

piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 6, 9:57*am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
september.invalid> wrote:

> While you're at it, slice a bunch of potatoes about 1/8" thick. Take a
> couple sheets of HD foil, throw in some butter, salt and pepper, put on half
> the potatoes, more BS&P, more potatoes, more BS&P. Seal up well, and throw
> in the fire about 20-30 minutes before you put on the meat. Turn
> occasionally, move to cooler spot on the fire if it sounds like it's
> sizzling too much. Don't break the foil or you'll have a grease fire. Throw
> some sweet peppers and onions into the mix if you're so inclined. Goes great
> with the steak. Makes good taters for camp breakfast too!

Long time ago had a girlfriend do lambchops like this. She had two
smallish chops covered with olive oil and simple seasonings wrapped in
foil and simply threw the packets into the fire. Turned out damn good
too. Never seen that before or sense.

And talking of sense, didn't have enough to pay more attention.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tutall" > wrote in message
snip

snip.. wrapped in foil.. snip

Barbecue wisdom is lost on many!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message

> Campfire cooking... I've done it many times. Some may not care for the
> extra
> bit of char but I love it.

snip
> MartyB in KC

Original barbecue, no thousand dollar 'cooker', no pineapple glaze, no
thermometer.
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, "piedmont" >
wrote:

> Purchase fireplace wood, start a fire and burn down to coals, place coals on
> the ground, under a grid placed about 12 inches above the charcoal, place
> meat on grid with minimal seasoning. Stay with the meat until cooked,
> turning as needed, teach yourself to avoid grease fires by controlling
> quantity of coals, and/or by leaving a spot under the grid with no coals so
> you can pull meat 'off' coals until things settle down. Lightly baste meat
> occasionally which can do two things, help cool coals to ease flame ups and
> helps keep meat moist as well as adds a bit of flavor from added spices. (Do
> not use sugar for any spices)
>
> Do it.
>
> piedmont

Sounds like a campfire BBQ.
This is a Challenge? <shrugs>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> piedmont said:
> > Purchase fireplace wood, start a fire and burn down to coals, place
> > coals on the ground, under a grid placed about 12 inches above the
> > charcoal, place meat on grid with minimal seasoning. Stay with the
> > meat until cooked, turning as needed, teach yourself to avoid grease
> > fires by controlling quantity of coals, and/or by leaving a spot
> > under the grid with no coals so you can pull meat 'off' coals until
> > things settle down. Lightly baste meat occasionally which can do two
> > things, help cool coals to ease flame ups and helps keep meat moist
> > as well as adds a bit of flavor from added spices. (Do not use sugar
> > for any spices)
> >
> > Do it.
> >
> > piedmont

> Campfire cooking... I've done it many times. Some may not care for the extra
> bit of char but I love it.
>
> While you're at it, slice a bunch of potatoes about 1/8" thick. Take a
> couple sheets of HD foil, throw in some butter, salt and pepper, put on half
> the potatoes, more BS&P, more potatoes, more BS&P. Seal up well, and throw
> in the fire about 20-30 minutes before you put on the meat. Turn
> occasionally, move to cooler spot on the fire if it sounds like it's
> sizzling too much. Don't break the foil or you'll have a grease fire. Throw
> some sweet peppers and onions into the mix if you're so inclined. Goes great
> with the steak. Makes good taters for camp breakfast too!
>
> MartyB in KC

Don't slice the spuds. Wrap them in foil and place them on a rock on the
edge of the campfire. Coal roast them whole. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"piedmont" > wrote:

> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
>

> > Campfire cooking... I've done it many times. Some may not care for the
> > extra
> > bit of char but I love it.

> snip
> > MartyB in KC
> >

> Original barbecue, no thousand dollar 'cooker', no pineapple glaze, no
> thermometer.
> piedmont

Primitive cooking at it's best. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> > Don't slice the spuds. Wrap them in foil and place them on a rock on
> > the edge of the campfire. Coal roast them whole. ;-d

> But what about the butter flavor, and s&p, and what about adding onions and
> peppers? I grant you can easily bake a potato next to a campfire but it's
> little different from being baked in an oven.
>
> MartyB

I add butter, salt and pepper AFTER they are cooked.
And I don't like onions and peppers in my baked spuds.

I'm a purist. ;-d

Simpler is gooder, but that' a personal opinion! ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

THE CHALLENGE OF THE QUR’AN Stu[_16_] General Cooking 0 05-04-2011 08:10 PM
OK, here's a challenge: Wayne Lundberg Mexican Cooking 11 10-10-2007 06:35 PM
a challenge for Goo dh@. Vegan 2 11-09-2005 08:06 PM
3 Zin challenge Emery Davis Wine 17 14-07-2005 10:55 PM
A Challenge! MrJP General Cooking 22 16-07-2004 01:35 PM