Old 11-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Dee Randall

Default Moderator - Administrator

Does anyone know?

Just now subscribing to this food newsgroup which has a lot of interesting
postings - some newsgroups have digressed to unrelated and disturbing
postings to the extent that they have 80%+ got away from their topic.

But I am wondering if there are no moderators on all newsgroups to persons
to keep the unrelated "topics" off. Seems to me that there are other
newsgroups that would be more appropriate. You may say, don't click on
those posts. I usually don't. One thing you can do is try to remember who
responded to those unrelated topics and don't click on them again -- but all
won't want to exercise their brain in this manner - such a waste of time; I
agree.

If a person's philosophy is an aside such as a postscript to their name,
well, I'd say you can't do much about those persons except TRY not to click
on them again if it is not to your liking. But, I think this is a sneaky way
to get someone to listen to the person's propoganda that you wouldn't
otherwise give them the time of day.

Old 11-12-2003, 03:43 PM
sunshine

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:27:38 -0500, "Dee Randall"
wrote:

[...]

Welcome to RFC

~sunshine
Old 11-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Peter Aitken

"Dee Randall" wrote in message
[...]

This group has no moderator. When a newsgroup is first formed it has a
charter that specifies, among other things, whether it is moderated or not.
Most are not - rec.food.recipes is one of the few that is, IIRC. So you
cannot just say "let's get a moderator for this group." Rather you would
have to start a new group, say rec.food.cooking.moderated, that is defined
as moderated from the start.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 11-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Chris

"Dee Randall" wrote in message
Does anyone know?

If the newsgroup were moderated, you'd see the word "moderated".

Alas, it isn't there.

You can filter out unwanted posts, as many will instruct. I personally have
no one in my killfile. I prefer to scan a subject line, and you can usually
tell if it's related to the topic or not.

Usually I'll put OT (for Off-Topic) in a post that has no bearing on the
concensus.

Old 11-12-2003, 04:28 PM
The Cook

"Dee Randall" wrote:

[...]

Some newsgroups are moderated and were set up that way.

Who would you want to moderate this group? Personally I do my own
moderating rather than having someone else telling me what is OK for
me to read.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Old 11-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Dee Randall

Get a newsreader and put that person in your kill file.

I'm not sure what this means. Can you explain. Thanks.
dee

wrote:

[...]

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent

Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Old 11-12-2003, 10:45 PM
Victor Sack

Default Moderator - Administrator and Goose Soup

Peter Aitken wrote:

This group has no moderator. When a newsgroup is first formed it has a
charter that specifies, among other things, whether it is moderated or not.

This is only true for new newsgroups. Most newsgroups formed before
1989, rfc being one of them, have no charters. In those balmy days
people still knew what, where and how to post, and charters were deemed
unnecessary.

ObFood: Old-style Lithuanian goose soup. The recipe is adapted from a
book I have here.

Old-style Lithuanian Goose Soup

1-1.25 kg (2 - 2 1/2 lb) goose (or duck)
2 onions
1 carrot
1 parsnip
1/2 celery root
4-5 ceps (boletus, porcini) mushrooms
250 ml (1/4 quart) beetroot kvas or juice of 1 lemon
100 g (3 1/2 oz) pearl barley (preferably large-sized)
2 tablespoons butter
500 ml (1/2 quart) sour cream
3 firm apples suitable for cooking, preferably sour
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
fresh dill

Remove the excess fat from the goose (or duck), cut into large pieces,
put into a heavy pot, cover with water and simmer together with 1 onion,
carrot, parsnip, celery root and cut-up apples for about 1 1/2 hours.
Towards the end, add the caraway seeds. Cook the mushrooms and the
second onion (chopped) in 1/2 l (1/2 quart), adding the kvas or lemon
juice. Separately, cook the pearl barley until it disintegrates (making
a kind of barley congee), drain and mix with the butter, working it into
a purée, then whip it up into a whitish soufflé consistency. Add sour
cream and mix until foamy. Mix into the hot soup and heat through,
taking care it doesn't boil. Serve, sprinkled with some dill.

Victor
Old 12-12-2003, 12:01 AM
Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:

Peter Aitken wrote:

[...]

When Barbara was here, we went to a nice restaurant, Ouest, whose owner,
Tom Vaalenti, happened to be written up in this week's N.Y. Times Food
Section. The soup on the three course prix fixe dinner was duck soup
and both of us ordered it. Marcel had Belgian Endive salad. The soup
was wonderful, but it was not anything like the one of your recipe. No
sour cream, no beetroot and no caraway seeds. Next time I go there, I
will see whether I can get the recipe. I never had any kind of duck
soup before. I thought the very name and the Marx Brothers film meant
that Duck Soup is some kind of joke. MS
Old 12-12-2003, 01:19 AM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , "Dee Randall"
wrote:

Get a newsreader and put that person in your kill file.

I'm not sure what this means. Can you explain. Thanks.
dee

You're using Outlook Express to read news. There exists software
specifically reading news -- Agent, Free Agent, others for Windows;
NewsWatcher, MacSoup, others for Macintosh. The good ones allow you to
create filters on posts -- by author, by subject, perhaps by length of
post. For example, I can choose to highlight the names of certain
posters so their posts are readily visible when my group's list of posts
appears. I can choose to'kill' or "kill file" certain subjects or
posters if I don't even want them to show up on my screen. The filters
may have time limits (you choose) on them. HTH.
--
-Barb
www.jamlady.eboard.com
Old 12-12-2003, 01:26 AM
Michel Boucher

"Peter Aitken" wrote in
.com:

This group has no moderator. When a newsgroup is first formed it
has a charter that specifies, among other things, whether it is
moderated or not. Most are not - rec.food.recipes is one of the
few that is, IIRC. So you cannot just say "let's get a moderator
for this group." Rather you would have to start a new group, say
rec.food.cooking.moderated, that is defined as moderated from the
start.

But that would be an uphill battle and a general waste of time. The
attempt to create a group called rec.food.vegetables, if you recall,
was properly trounced by one of the largest no votes in Usenet history.

--
"The problem with the French is they have no
word for entrepreneur."

attributed to George W. Bush by Tony Blair
via Baroness Williams

Old 12-12-2003, 01:29 AM
Michel Boucher

"Chris" wrote in
:

"Dee Randall" wrote in message
Does anyone know?

If the newsgroup were moderated, you'd see the word "moderated".

Alas, it isn't there.

Alas????? Sheesh...

Usually I'll put OT (for Off-Topic) in a post that has no bearing
on the concensus.

That's a pretty standard Usenet convention.

Old 12-12-2003, 02:02 AM
Jack Schidt®

"Margaret Suran" wrote in message

When Barbara was here, we went to a nice restaurant, Ouest, whose owner,
Tom Vaalenti, happened to be written up in this week's N.Y. Times Food
Section. The soup on the three course prix fixe dinner was duck soup
and both of us ordered it. Marcel had Belgian Endive salad. The soup
was wonderful, but it was not anything like the one of your recipe. No
sour cream, no beetroot and no caraway seeds. Next time I go there, I
will see whether I can get the recipe. I never had any kind of duck
soup before. I thought the very name and the Marx Brothers film meant
that Duck Soup is some kind of joke. MS

I'm kinda shocked that any 'east of the elbe' recipe would not contain at
least caraway. But what do I know, other than 'Duck Soup' is the best Marx
Brothers film IMO. Huh? Oh, ok, 'Horsefeathers' and ' Monkey Business'
were colossal also.

Jack T Firefly

Old 12-12-2003, 02:07 AM
Default User

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

You're using Outlook Express to read news. There exists software
specifically reading news -- Agent, Free Agent, others for Windows;
NewsWatcher, MacSoup, others for Macintosh. The good ones allow you to
create filters on posts -- by author, by subject, perhaps by length of
post. For example, I can choose to highlight the names of certain
posters so their posts are readily visible when my group's list of posts
appears. I can choose to'kill' or "kill file" certain subjects or
posters if I don't even want them to show up on my screen. The filters
may have time limits (you choose) on them. HTH.

It should be noted that the newsreader that is part of OE is able to do
that as well. It's a matter of learning how to use the tools.

There are good reasons not to use OE as a newsreader, but filtering
isn't really one of them, at least at the level we're discussing. I
haven't used it for a while so I can't give explicit instructions to the
OP as to how to use the kill features.

Brian Rodenborn

Administrator Contact Kevin Cooking Equipment 1 14-10-2016 11:01 AM
Moderator needs to take action Ted Campanelli General Cooking 172 06-11-2007 02:20 AM
ADMINISTRIVIA: Would you like to be a Moderator? Patricia D. Hill Recipes (moderated) 0 17-09-2005 01:26 AM
Australian Moderator? JC Winemaking 0 24-01-2005 06:22 AM
ADMINISTRATIVE: Would you like to be a Moderator? Patricia D. Hill Recipes (moderated) 0 19-11-2003 04:07 PM