Peter Aitken

Default Kosher turkey report

Our Empire kosher turkey turned out just great - moist and tender. Perhaps
the koshering process does have similar effects to brining. We also tried a
new way of roasting, coutesy of Julia, called a "deconstructed" turkey.
You remove the legs and bone the thighs, then stuff the thighs and tie them
together. The backbone and wishbone are removed from the body. Mound the
stuffing on a baking pan and put the whole breast over it, then lay the legs
along side. This cooks a lot faster (1.5 hours), the stuffing still gets
that great cooked-in-the-bird taste, and it's a lot easier to carve.

--
Peter Aitken

PENMART01

In article > , "Peter Aitken"
> writes:

>Our Empire kosher turkey turned out just great - moist and tender. Perhaps
>the koshering process does have similar effects to brining. We also tried a
>new way of roasting, coutesy of Julia, called a "deconstructed" turkey.
>You remove the legs and bone the thighs, then stuff the thighs and tie them
>together. The backbone and wishbone are removed from the body. Mound the
>stuffing on a baking pan and put the whole breast over it, then lay the legs
>along side. This cooks a lot faster (1.5 hours), the stuffing still gets
>that great cooked-in-the-bird taste, and it's a lot easier to carve.

Next time de-bone the entire turkey being careful to keep the skin intact as
much as possible. Stuff, wrap with the skin and bind to form a loaf. Oven
roast on a vee rack turning occasionally to brown evenly. I do this often with
a brace of roasting chickens on my Weber's rotisserie. Maybe next Thanksgiving
I will do this with a turkey.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon

Report on Trisha Yearwood's Turkey Recipe Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 8 18-11-2012 12:04 AM
Turkey Report Kent[_5_] Barbecue 0 26-11-2011 09:33 PM
Hopefully last word on Kosher Salt (difference between Sea Salt and Kosher) [email protected] General Cooking 17 05-05-2009 12:51 PM
Brining a kosher turkey Peter Aitken General Cooking 17 24-11-2003 01:52 PM
Turkey Tasting Report from L.A. Times Sam D. General Cooking 0 20-11-2003 12:41 AM