Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Turkey Report

Yesterday,

FOR 12lb 10% water added Safeway $5.00 turkey, I salted as per dry brine
recipe[s] for 60 hours in Hefty bag as tightly wrapped as possible.
Then the turkey was rinsed, and air dried for 12 hours.
Prior to the roast I rubbed skin throughout with rendered bacon fat.
Turkey was roasted without stuffing breast side down indirectly at 350F
indirectly on 22" Weber grill to thigh temp. of 170F.
Rested 40 minutes in 110F warming oven while the stuffing was made.

One of the very best turkeys we've had. Breast very moist, very flavorful,
and not over salty in spite of the "water added turkey" and the dry salt. I
think with brining, wet or dry, there is a lot more than the simple
equilibration of salt and water on either side of the turkey muscle. Here's
a good article about
this: www.cookingforengineers.com/article/70/Brining
We'll definitely do this again.

Happer Day of Recovery,