Melba's Jammin'

Default More funeral food

My friend's 94-year-old mom died last week and her funeral was
yesterday. The service was lovely due to the fact that one of her
grands is a music teacher and his sister has a trained soprano voice.
They led us in a couple verses of the Finlandia hymn -- I especiall like
the words of the second verse:

O Finland, see, your morning light is dawning;
Nights threat'ning dark has passed away once more.
The lark's sweet song is heralding the morning,
Rising and sounding at Heaven's door.
The powers of night before the morn retreating,
The light is dawning for our land.

My country's dies are bluer than the ocean,
And sunlight beams on cloverleaf and pine;
But other lands have sunlighyt too and clover,
And skies are everywhere as blue as mine
Hear my song, Though God of all the nations,
A song of peace for their land and mine.

They and another cousin related wonderful stories about their
grandmother, too.

The luncheon was better than the last few I've attended. Not so
terribly different (relish plate, croissants, buns, a really tasty
chicken salad, cold cuts, another pasta salad), but personalized -- a
dish of the cranberries that were always served at her Thanksgiving and
Christmas tables with a note explaining that significance; a plate of
cheeses with a note about how she used to make cheese as a child. (I'll
have to be sure someone includes a note about the correct shape of
pirohy at mine.) Pretty cool. A great pumpkin cake for dessert.

The best was that she and my friend had made their peace. No unfinished
business for my friend. That's a blessing in itself, I think.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>
Jack Schidt®

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> My friend's 94-year-old mom died last week and her funeral was
> yesterday. The service was lovely due to the fact that one of her
> grands is a music teacher and his sister has a trained soprano voice.
> They led us in a couple verses of the Finlandia hymn -- I especiall like
> the words of the second verse:
>
> O Finland, see, your morning light is dawning;
> Nights threat'ning dark has passed away once more.
> The lark's sweet song is heralding the morning,
> Rising and sounding at Heaven's door.
> The powers of night before the morn retreating,
> The light is dawning for our land.
>
> My country's dies are bluer than the ocean,
> And sunlight beams on cloverleaf and pine;
> But other lands have sunlighyt too and clover,
> And skies are everywhere as blue as mine
> Hear my song, Though God of all the nations,
> A song of peace for their land and mine.
>
> They and another cousin related wonderful stories about their
> grandmother, too.
>
> The luncheon was better than the last few I've attended. Not so
> terribly different (relish plate, croissants, buns, a really tasty
> chicken salad, cold cuts, another pasta salad), but personalized -- a
> dish of the cranberries that were always served at her Thanksgiving and
> Christmas tables with a note explaining that significance; a plate of
> cheeses with a note about how she used to make cheese as a child. (I'll
> have to be sure someone includes a note about the correct shape of
> pirohy at mine.) Pretty cool. A great pumpkin cake for dessert.
>
> The best was that she and my friend had made their peace. No unfinished
> business for my friend. That's a blessing in itself, I think.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. 94's a good run, I hope her life
was happy.

So....ummmm.....is this a church you were asked to leave also?

Jack Unrest

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Jack
Schidt®" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > The best was that she and my friend had made their peace. No
> > unfinished business for my friend. That's a blessing in itself, I
> > think.

> Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. 94's a good run, I hope
> her life was happy.

I didn't know her but her daughter is the aces! Didn't sound like the
mom had had an easy life. She was a survivor of the great Cloquet-Moose
Lake Fire of 1918, lost both parents when she was very young, widowed
too soon. <http://www.cpinternet.com/~kjackson/fire/jffirecloquet.html>

> So....ummmm.....is this a church you were asked to leave also?
>
> Jack Unrest

Nope. This one's in the inner city and half a block away from where my
Pastor friend Janet does her good works -- the two congregations do some
joint programming. Janet couldn't do the service, though -- she's got
company from England and needs to pay attention to her workload.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>
"If you're ever in a jam, here I am."
j.j.

Hark! I heard Melba's Jammin' > say:

> My friend's 94-year-old mom died last week and her funeral was
> yesterday.

<snip - sounds like a nice service>

> The luncheon was better than the last few I've attended. Not so
> terribly different (relish plate, croissants, buns, a really tasty
> chicken salad, cold cuts, another pasta salad), but personalized -- a
> dish of the cranberries that were always served at her Thanksgiving and
> Christmas tables with a note explaining that significance; a plate of
> cheeses with a note about how she used to make cheese as a child. (I'll
> have to be sure someone includes a note about the correct shape of
> pirohy at mine.) Pretty cool. A great pumpkin cake for dessert.

The personalized touch is a neat idea -- I'd never thought of that
before.

> The best was that she and my friend had made their peace. No unfinished
> business for my friend. That's a blessing in itself, I think.

Yes, I'd say that it is. I have regrets about my relationship with a lost
loved one. You can't really fix things once they're gone... :-(

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!