Mark Thorson

Default Mmmmm... Big Haul From Mexican Food Store

I just got back from a visit to a Mexican food store,
and I'm so pleased I went there. Here's what I got:

Four one-pound bags of Peruvian dried corn for
frying. This is the same type of corn used for making
Corn-Nuts brand snack food. But if you buy the
corn itself, you can make it without hydrogenated
oils and eat it hot and fresh. (I don't actually do
this, because I'm on a low-carb diet, but I've
already mailed four pounds of this hard-to-find
item to friends, so I'm happy to buy more.)
The corn kernels are enormous, significantly
bigger than Corn-Nuts. I guess they shrink
a little when fried.

Two half-pound bags of cacao beans. These are
the fermented and dried beans from the cacao
tree. Cocoa is made by roasting and grinding
these beans. For the chocolate enthusiast, it's
interesting to compare the beans with chocolate.
Certain flavors which are very pronounced in the
beans are much more muted in chocolate.
Yesterday, I mailed out three bags of beans, so
I wanted to replenish my supply.

Red Savina habanero peppers, on sale for
$1.99/pound. I'd never seen these before,
though I'd heard about them. At first, I thought
the sign was mislabelled, because it said "habaneros"
but it was over some red peppers -- as deep
a red as a red Thai pepper. But when I realized
the peppers had the same shape as regular (orange)
habaneros, I figured they must be Red Savinas.
Now that I've chopped them up and my fingertips
are burning, I know they must be Red Savinas.
Normal habaneros do not do that to my fingers
(anymore).

Three cans of Juanita's brand Pozole de Pollo soup.
I love that brand of soup, and this is a good one.
Most stores only carry their famous menudo soup,
which is by far the best canned menudo you can get.
Many restaurants which offer menudo actually serve
Juanita's -- it's better than many fresh-made menudos.
However, Juanita's makes lots more soups than just
menudo, and this is one I like.

Mexican limes. These are tiny limes, about the size
of a hazelnut (distinct from key limes, which are about
the size of a walnut). A friend of mine claims there is a
special lime which only comes from the Phillipines --
he's shown them to me and even has a tree. I suspect
these Mexican limes are the same thing, so I'm hoping
to have lunch with him tomorrow and give him these
limes so he can compare.

food store? bulka[_2_] General Cooking 8 14-12-2009 09:37 PM
New food store opened this morning Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 5 22-07-2005 05:41 PM
storing food in freezer, how long can one store food? KOS General Cooking 7 10-03-2005 06:37 PM
I store food in my arsehole ! ! ! Brian Raab Preserving 2 12-10-2004 10:25 PM
I store my food on Mars Tom-Alex Soorhull Preserving 10 18-05-2004 04:35 PM