Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default food store?

Christine said:
Now, all I need is some tofu.... Oh, and some
curry paste...and some fish sauce..and some limes....

I feel your pain. I struggle to find anything interesting to eat
here. Thinking about using my small resources to do a small
storefront. I can't be the only one here who wants asian, hispanic,
arab, mediteranian, indian. Detroit suburb, looking at the relatively
civliized Ann Arbor.

Any thoughts?

Michael
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:
> Christine said:
> Now, all I need is some tofu.... Oh, and some
> curry paste...and some fish sauce..and some limes....
>
> I feel your pain. I struggle to find anything interesting to eat
> here. Thinking about using my small resources to do a small
> storefront. I can't be the only one here who wants asian, hispanic,
> arab, mediteranian, indian. Detroit suburb, looking at the relatively
> civliized Ann Arbor.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Michael

Think long and hard. It's an expensive overhead, lousy hours,
and an untried, undependable customer base.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 9:45*pm, bulka > wrote:
> Christine said:
> Now, all I need is some tofu.... Oh, and some
> curry paste...and some fish sauce..and some limes....
>
> I feel your pain. *I struggle to find anything interesting to eat
> here. *Thinking about using my small resources to do a small
> storefront. *I can't be the only one here who wants asian, hispanic,
> arab, mediteranian, indian. *Detroit suburb,

Which Detroit suburb? Most of the ones I'm familiar with have
at least one ethnic grocery in or near it.

> looking at the relatively
> civliized Ann Arbor.

It's not as civilized as you might think. And the prices will stop
your heart. Trust me, I've been living here for 34 years.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Christine said:
> Now, all I need is some tofu.... Oh, and some
> curry paste...and some fish sauce..and some limes....
>
> I feel your pain. I struggle to find anything interesting to eat> here.
> Thinking about using my small resources to do a small> storefront. I
> can't be the only one here who wants asian, hispanic,
> arab, mediteranian, indian. Detroit suburb, looking at the relatively>
> civliized Ann Arbor.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Michael

If you were really convinced that you would never get to buy these various
things, you'd find a way to make most of them. I have to go to Rome or
Florence to buy anything Latin or Asian, and if I find them they are $$$$.
I can get some Arabic things, but when I asked for sesame tahini, it turns
out it isn't common across all Arab cuisines, Heh. They did eventually
find out what it is and order it for me.

All cooking expats face this. Someone who taught in Tonga said you could
buy chickens but not eggs. Or maybe it was the reverse. Somehow we
overcome, because we are forced to. I never dreamed I would make my own
chili powder or tortillas. But I do. Make it a hobby!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 11:00 am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "bulka" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > Christine said:
> > Now, all I need is some tofu.... Oh, and some
> > curry paste...and some fish sauce..and some limes....

> > I feel your pain. I struggle to find anything interesting to eat> here.
> > Thinking about using my small resources to do a small> storefront. I
> > can't be the only one here who wants asian, hispanic,
> > arab, mediteranian, indian. Detroit suburb, looking at the relatively>
> > civliized Ann Arbor.

> > Any thoughts?

> > Michael

> If you were really convinced that you would never get to buy these various
> things, you'd find a way to make most of them. I have to go to Rome or
> Florence to buy anything Latin or Asian, and if I find them they are $$$$.
> I can get some Arabic things, but when I asked for sesame tahini, it turns
> out it isn't common across all Arab cuisines, Heh. They did eventually
> find out what it is and order it for me.
>
> All cooking expats face this. Someone who taught in Tonga said you could
> buy chickens but not eggs. Or maybe it was the reverse. Somehow we
> overcome, because we are forced to. I never dreamed I would make my own
> chili powder or tortillas. But I do. Make it a hobby!

Yes. I've learned to make kim chi, pita, tamales - things I used to
pick up without thinking at the grocery in Chicago. Shouldn't have to
think like an expat in Detroit, but live and learn. Used to think my
tortilla press was a cute affectation, now I miss it. Don't know
where to get corn husks out-of-season. Maybe I'll learn to like coney
dogs and gas station pizza.

MB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I live in Farmington Hills, a suburb of Detroit.

There are numerous food stores filled with all sorts of ethnic fare in
the metro Detroit area. For example:

Southwet Detroit where there are many Hispanic/South American grocery
stores and bakeries.

Dearborn where there are so many Arab grocery stores, bakeries, even an
ice cream parlor/candy store.

There's an Italian market in Livonia (Middlebelt just south of 8 Mile).
And, I believe, others in the east side suburbs.

Asian markets are plentiful, too. There's one on 7 Mile, just east of
Middlebelt. One on Grand River in Farmington Hills west of Farmington
Road. These are just a few of them.

There's no reason for you to feel ethnically deprived foodwise in the
metro Detroit area, bulka.

Was it a tortilla press you wished you still had? You can buy them at a
little market on Bagley, just down the street from Mexican Village.

And if you want someone else to do the cooking there are so very many
ethnic restaurants. Ethiopian, Mexican, Lebanese, German, Russian,
Jewish, Vietnamese, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 2:08*pm, bulka > wrote:
> On Dec 11, 11:00 am, "Giusi" > wrote:
>

> > "bulka" *ha scritto nel messaggio

> > > Christine said:
> > > Now, all I need is some tofu.... Oh, and some
> > > curry paste...and some fish sauce..and some limes....

> > > I feel your pain. *I struggle to find anything interesting to eat> here.
> > > Thinking about using my small resources to do a small> storefront. *I
> > > can't be the only one here who wants asian, hispanic,
> > > arab, mediteranian, indian. *Detroit suburb, looking at the relatively>
> > > civliized Ann Arbor.

> > > Any thoughts?

> > > Michael

> > If you were really convinced that you would never get to buy these various
> > things, you'd find a way to make most of them. *I have to go to Rome or
> > Florence to buy anything Latin or Asian, and if I find them they are $$$$.
> > I can get some Arabic things, but when I asked for sesame tahini, it turns
> > out it isn't common across all Arab cuisines, *Heh. *They did eventually
> > find out what it is and order it for me.

> > All cooking expats face this. *Someone who taught in Tonga said you could
> > buy chickens but not eggs. *Or maybe it was the reverse. *Somehow we
> > overcome, because we are forced to. *I never dreamed I would make my own
> > chili powder or tortillas. *But I do. *Make it a hobby!

> Yes. *I've learned to make kim chi, pita, tamales - things I used to
> pick up without thinking at the grocery in Chicago. *Shouldn't have to
> think like an expat in Detroit, but live and learn. *Used to think my
> tortilla press was a cute affectation, now I miss it. *Don't know
> where to get corn husks out-of-season. *Maybe I'll learn to like coney
> dogs and gas station pizza.

I don't think you're trying very hard to find ethnic food in and
around
Detroit.

I'm from Madison Heights (aka Hillbilly Heights), and there's all
kinds
of ethnic groceries in and around it.

I repeat: which suburb are you in? We can't help you if you don't
help us.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> "bulka" ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Christine said:
> > Now, all I need is some tofu.... Oh, and some
> > curry paste...and some fish sauce..and some limes....
> >
> >I feel your pain. I struggle to find anything interesting to eat>

> here. Thinking about using my small resources to do a small>
> storefront. I can't be the only one here who wants asian, hispanic,
> >arab, mediteranian, indian. Detroit suburb, looking at the

> relatively> civliized Ann Arbor.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Michael

> If you were really convinced that you would never get to buy these
> various things, you'd find a way to make most of them. I have to go
> to Rome or Florence to buy anything Latin or Asian, and if I find
> them they are $$$$. I can get some Arabic things, but when I asked
> for sesame tahini, it turns out it isn't common across all Arab
> cuisines, Heh. They did eventually find out what it is and order it
> for me.

On the other hand: in 1971, I found halal SPAM in Florence. Made with
beef rather than pork, labeled in English and Arabic.

--
Dan Goodman
Journal at: