Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Avocado salsa

A couple of the local Mexican restaurants here have an avocado salsa
available. It is a puree with no chunks, thin like commercial non-
chunky taco sauce, and quite spicy. I love it - creamy and hot at the
same time. Does this sound familiar, and can you point me at a recipe?
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 06:49:57 -0700 (PDT), Robert Pedersen
> wrote:

> A couple of the local Mexican restaurants here have an avocado salsa
> available. It is a puree with no chunks, thin like commercial non-
> chunky taco sauce, and quite spicy. I love it - creamy and hot at the
> same time. Does this sound familiar, and can you point me at a recipe?

It's call guacamole. Creaminess depends on how much you mash the
avocados. Pick a picture that looks like what you like and click on
it to get to the recipe. http://tinyurl.com/44zf8l9 or
<http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1IRFE_enUS448US448&gcx=c&q=guacamole+ recipe&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=926&bih =698>
http://www.avocadocentral.com/avocad...camole-recipes

Try to find Hass avocados or one with as much natural fat for optimal
flavor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hass_avocado
http://www.avocado.org/avocado-variety-browser/

Happy eating!

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 13:23:37 -0700, sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 06:49:57 -0700 (PDT), Robert Pedersen
> > wrote:
>
> > A couple of the local Mexican restaurants here have an avocado salsa
> > available. It is a puree with no chunks, thin like commercial non-
> > chunky taco sauce, and quite spicy. I love it - creamy and hot at the
> > same time. Does this sound familiar, and can you point me at a recipe?

> It's call guacamole.

Maybe, but note that he says "thin" and "quite spicy." There are
exceptions, of course, but most guacamole falls into neither of those
categories.

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:14:13 -0700, Ken Blake >
wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 13:23:37 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 06:49:57 -0700 (PDT), Robert Pedersen
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > A couple of the local Mexican restaurants here have an avocado salsa
> > > available. It is a puree with no chunks, thin like commercial non-
> > > chunky taco sauce, and quite spicy. I love it - creamy and hot at the
> > > same time. Does this sound familiar, and can you point me at a recipe?

> > It's call guacamole.

> Maybe, but note that he says "thin" and "quite spicy." There are
> exceptions, of course, but most guacamole falls into neither of those
> categories.

Who knows what he meant. Maybe he should look up salsa verde recipes.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Oct 17, 5:53*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:14:13 -0700, Ken Blake >
> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 13:23:37 -0700, sf > wrote:

> > > On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 06:49:57 -0700 (PDT), Robert Pedersen

> > > It's call guacamole.

> > Maybe, but note that he says "thin" and "quite spicy." There are
> > exceptions, of course, but most guacamole falls into neither of those
> > categories.

> Who knows what he meant. *Maybe he should look up salsa verde recipes.
>
> --
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

If I knew what I meant, I wouldn't need to ask. I've read that in
Mexico, guacamole is often more of a sauce than a dip: if so, what I'm
talking about my well be a guacamole. But it's certain that the
guacamole I'm familiar with isn't much like the thin, smooth sauce I'm
trying to track down. I appreciate the responses.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On 17/10/2011 10:58 PM, Robert Pedersen wrote:
> On Oct 17, 5:53 pm, > wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:14:13 -0700, Ken >
>> wrote:

>>> Maybe, but note that he says "thin" and "quite spicy." There are
>>> exceptions, of course, but most guacamole falls into neither of those
>>> categories.

>> Who knows what he meant. Maybe he should look up salsa verde recipes.
>>
>> --
>> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

> If I knew what I meant, I wouldn't need to ask. I've read that in
> Mexico, guacamole is often more of a sauce than a dip: if so, what I'm
> talking about my well be a guacamole. But it's certain that the
> guacamole I'm familiar with isn't much like the thin, smooth sauce I'm
> trying to track down. I appreciate the responses.

Hi Bob.
We sometimes make guacamole with chunks. We sometimes make it with no
chunks and mash it up really fine. Sometimes we put more heat in it
than other times. Sometimes we mix it with yoghurt instead of sour
cream, which makes it much runnier.

Depends on what we feel like. Sometimes it looks
green and a bit light-on, sometimes it has red chili flecks in it
Then you have to watch out. But it's still what we call guacamole.
Sounds to me that's what you were looking at.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:58:19 -0700 (PDT), Robert Pedersen
> wrote:

> If I knew what I meant, I wouldn't need to ask.

I feel your pain, Robert. BTDT Google images helps, even with
recipes.

> I've read that in
> Mexico, guacamole is often more of a sauce than a dip: if so, what I'm
> talking about my well be a guacamole. But it's certain that the
> guacamole I'm familiar with isn't much like the thin, smooth sauce I'm
> trying to track down. I appreciate the responses.

If you search google for salsa verde +avocado, you'll find recipes
that might be what you're looking for. The recipe varies slightly
from taqueria to taqueria, restaurant to restaurant so you really do
have to experiment to come up with what you're looking for (if salsa
verde turns out to be what you want).

If I was more motivated, I would have perfected a recipe by this time
because the green sauce with avocado is my favorite - but when I want
burritos I go to the taqueria and get a container of their salsa verde
to go with it. Lazy, I know - but that's life in the city. Why make
it when buying it is so fast, so cheap and the two of us can have
different fillings?

Good luck!

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:27:09 -0700, sf > wrote:

> Good luck!

I should have included a recipe for you. At least it's a start.
http://www.melecotte.com/2010/09/avocado-salsa-verde/

Avocado Salsa Verde
adapted from Eliza Domestica

12 oz. can tomatillos, cut into quarters
small bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed
(about) 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 shallots, roughly chopped
1 fresh jalapeno, de-stemmed and seeds removed
2 ripe avocados, chopped in small chunks
½ teaspoon sea salt

Using a food processor, toss in tomatillos, shallots, jalapeno, salt,
lime juice, cilantro, and 1/2 the avocado. Pulse until preferred
consistency. Pour salsa into a medium mixing bowl and stir in
remaining chopped avocado. Store in a airtight container, in the
refrigerator.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Oct 18, 12:33*am, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:27:09 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> > *Good luck!

> I should have included a recipe for you. *At least it's a start.http://www.melecotte.com/2010/09/avocado-salsa-verde/
>
> Avocado Salsa Verde
> adapted from Eliza Domestica
>
> 12 oz. can tomatillos, cut into quarters
> small bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed
> (about) 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
> 2 shallots, roughly chopped
> 1 fresh jalapeno, de-stemmed and seeds removed
> 2 ripe avocados, chopped in small chunks
> ½ teaspoon sea salt
>
> Using a food processor, toss in tomatillos, shallots, jalapeno, salt,
> lime juice, cilantro, and 1/2 the avocado. Pulse until preferred
> consistency. Pour salsa into a medium mixing bowl and stir in
> remaining chopped avocado. Store in a airtight container, in the
> refrigerator.
>
> --
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Thank you! I appreciate it!
Member

I dont know a recipe I normally just chuck a lot of things togteher, but after experimenting a bit I would say the most important thing is lots of citrusy favours, go wild with the lemon!

Member

One of the best and superb dish it is
i like this very best work done too much

Skagway