Anthony

Default Lactose Intolerant?

My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend heavily
on butter and cream. TIA.

Nancy Young

Anthony wrote:

> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend heavily
> on butter and cream. TIA.

Buy her some Lactaid.

nancy
Jack Schidt®

"Anthony" > wrote in message
> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend

heavily
> on butter and cream. TIA.

Some folks are ok with butter and cheese. I'm the only person I know who
can eat cheese, butter, sour cream, et al, but get nauseous when I drink a
glass of milk.

Why not ask them?

Jack Casein

PENMART01

"Anthony" writes:

>My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
>been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
>them?

If you were smart (you're not - your name is Anthony, obviously a dumb
****tario-type WOP) you'd not serve dairy products. . . wouldn't your BIL's
wife be your sister? Duh! Geeze but but you're ig'nant... you six-toed guinea
*******.

Your porky sister will feel right to home... I hope she's not as dumb as you.

FUSILLI WITH PORCINI PUTTANESCA SAUCE

Porcini mushrooms smooth out the intense flavors of this traditional sauce of
tomatoes, olives, anchovies and capers. Although puttanesca sauce is typically
served with penne or spaghetti, fusilli holds the sauce better.
1 1/3 cups hot water
1/2 ounce (about 3/4 cup) dried porcini mushrooms

1 28-ounce can diced peeled tomatoes in juice
1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
12 Niçois olives, pitted, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 tablespoons drained capers
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped anchovy fillets
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

8 ounces fusilli pasta

Combine 1 1/3 cups hot water and porcini in small bowl. Let stand until porcini
are soft, about 25 minutes. Strain porcini, reserving liquid; discard sandy
residue in bottom of bowl. Coarsely chop porcini.

Drain tomatoes, reserving juice. Bring juice to boil in large saucepan. Add
onion and garlic. Reduce heat and simmer until onion is tender, about 15
minutes. Add porcini, reserved porcini liquid, tomatoes, olives and next 6
ingredients. Partially cover pot and simmer sauce until thickened slightly,
about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still
firm to bite. Drain pasta. Return to pot. Add sauce to pasta. Toss to blend.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Anthony

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
m...

> Why not ask them?
>
> Jack Casein

Have done. She was diagnosed just a couple of weeks ago, so is being very
rigid in avoiding foods with lactose in them at this stage. With time
presumably she'll have a better idea of her tolerance. We almost never have
desserts, but when visitors come we use it as an excuse to make cheese cake,
chocolate molten cake and suchlike; I just wondered whether anyone has
recipes for puds that don't have lactose other than boring old fruit salad.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Anthony" > wrote in message

> Have done. She was diagnosed just a couple of weeks ago, so is being very
> rigid in avoiding foods with lactose in them at this stage. With time
> presumably she'll have a better idea of her tolerance. We almost never

have
> desserts, but when visitors come we use it as an excuse to make cheese

cake,
> chocolate molten cake and suchlike; I just wondered whether anyone has
> recipes for puds that don't have lactose other than boring old fruit

salad.

There's always gelatin :-). I would probably do an angel food cake or
chiffon cake. You could serve it with a fruit puree or just dust it with
icing sugar.

I recently posted about goat's milk, and was told that goat's milk can
easily be substituted in place of cow's milk in recipes so you could do that
if you require milk for something. I have found that I quite like goat's
milk and am happy to be eating cereal again! I'm sure if you did a search
on goat's milk, you could find a number of recipes for desserts that would
be delicious.

rona

Puester

Anthony wrote:

> I just wondered whether anyone has
> recipes for puds that don't have lactose other than boring old fruit salad.

You can make all kinds of fruit pies/tarts
that contain no dairy products. Baked apples,
poached pears, also. You can also use soy
milk where milk is required.

gloria p
Jack Schidt®

"Anthony" > wrote in message

> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> m...
> >

> > Why not ask them?
> >
> > Jack Casein
> >

> Have done. She was diagnosed just a couple of weeks ago, so is being very
> rigid in avoiding foods with lactose in them at this stage. With time
> presumably she'll have a better idea of her tolerance. We almost never

have
> desserts, but when visitors come we use it as an excuse to make cheese

cake,
> chocolate molten cake and suchlike; I just wondered whether anyone has
> recipes for puds that don't have lactose other than boring old fruit

salad.

Coconut milk tain't a bad substitute, as it's creamy. There's also soy
milk, which you can mix up smoothies with (banana, strawberry, vanilla come
to mind)

Jack White

Gabby

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> If you were smart (you're not - your name is Anthony, obviously a dumb
> ****tario-type WOP) you'd not serve dairy products. . . wouldn't your

BIL's
> wife be your sister? Duh!

Duh, no. In this case his brother-in-law is obviously his wife's brother.

Gabby

Scott Taylor

"Anthony" > wrote in message
> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend

heavily
> on butter and cream. TIA.

Maybe a carrot cake--most of those recipes use salad oil instead of butter.
You could serve it unfrosted, just some powdered sugar maybe, or even frost
it with meringue.

-Scott

Julia Altshuler

A good source of dairy free recipes is any kosher cookbook.

For dairy free desserts, most cookies and cakes will work if you
substitute margarine for the butter. (Granted there are exceptions in
the form of cakes that call for sour cream or milk, but if you look
through cake recipes, you'll find plenty that are good.)

For a good homey dairy free dessert, go with apple, pear or peach pie.
Make the crust with lard or margarine, not butter.

For something spectacularly rich and creamy and impressive that's also
dairy free, I recommend zabaglione or sabayon over fresh berries. I use
the recipes in The Silver Palate Cookbook.

--Lia

Anthony wrote:
> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend heavily
> on butter and cream. TIA.

Anthony

"Gabby" > wrote in message

> Duh, no. In this case his brother-in-law is obviously his wife's brother.
>
> Gabby

Quite right. Sheldon lives in my killfile so I was spared his post apart
from the bit you quoted. :-)

Anthony > wrote:
> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend heavily
> on butter and cream. TIA.

Any recipe that does not include dairy ingredients will be fine. There are
tons of desserts that do not include use Apple other fruit pie (use
vegetable shortening instead of butter for the crust), or perhaps a nice
dessert wine with pound cake.

Anthony

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message

> I recently posted about goat's milk, and was told that goat's milk can
> easily be substituted in place of cow's milk in recipes so you could do

that
> if you require milk for something. I have found that I quite like goat's
> milk and am happy to be eating cereal again! I'm sure if you did a search
> on goat's milk, you could find a number of recipes for desserts that would
> be delicious.

Does goat's milk not contain lactose?

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

> wrote in message ...
>
> Any recipe that does not include dairy ingredients will be fine. There are
> tons of desserts that do not include use Apple other fruit pie (use
> vegetable shortening instead of butter for the crust), or perhaps a nice
> dessert wine with pound cake.

Pound cake will most likely have butter in it, if homemade, or at least
margarine (but even margarine can contain lactose).

Here's a link to a list of ingredients and foods which may contain lactose.

http://www.lactose.co.uk/lima/hiddenmilk.html

As a follow-up to my suggestion of using goat's milk, I've been doing some
reading and found that goat's milk also contains lactose so the OP's guest
should avoid that, as well.

rona

Sanjay Thomas

Jack, I'm the same way. I can eat things made with milk and not worry about
it, but if I have milk on it's own, I'm asking for some misery. Glad to
know I'm not the only one.

Sanjay

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
m...

> "Anthony" > wrote in message
> > My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has

just
> > been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not

feed
> > them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend

> heavily
> > on butter and cream. TIA.
> >

> Some folks are ok with butter and cheese. I'm the only person I know who
> can eat cheese, butter, sour cream, et al, but get nauseous when I drink a
> glass of milk.
>
> Why not ask them?
>
> Jack Casein

Jamie_Canuck

"Anthony" > wrote in message
> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend

heavily
> on butter and cream. TIA.

here's an article from Slate... with recomendations on the tastiest lactose
free milk beverage...

http://slate.msn.com/id/2090629/

cheers,

Jamie

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Anthony" > wrote in message
news
> Does goat's milk not contain lactose?

Yes. I corrected myself in another post. I had been thinking that because
both my mother and I are lactose intolerance, and her doctor recommended
goat's milk, it was OK. Then I remembered that he recommended goat's milk
for a milk allergy, not for lactose intolerance. However, many people who
are lactose intolerant can drink goat's milk. From
http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/15/25/09.html :

-----begin paste-----
Although goat milk, like cow's milk and human milk, contains lactose, many
people with lactose intolerance can drink goat milk. Why? It has been
hypothesized that the reason lies in goat milk's superior digestibility.
Goat milk is more completely and easily absorbed than cow's milk, leaving
less undigested residue behind in the colon to quite literally ferment and
cause the uncomfortable symptoms of lactose intolerance.

-----end paste-----

I do drink goat's milk with no problems, but I may be allergic to milk, as
well, rather than lactose intolerant.

rona

Virginia Tadrzynski

"Sanjay Thomas" > wrote in message
> Jack, I'm the same way. I can eat things made with milk and not worry

about
> it, but if I have milk on it's own, I'm asking for some misery. Glad to
> know I'm not the only one.
>
> Sanjay
>

> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > "Anthony" > wrote in message
> > > My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has

> just
> > > been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not

> feed
> > > them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend

> > heavily
> > > on butter and cream. TIA.
> > >

> > Some folks are ok with butter and cheese. I'm the only person I know

who
> > can eat cheese, butter, sour cream, et al, but get nauseous when I drink

> > glass of milk.
> >
> > Why not ask them?
> >
> > Jack Casein

Jack, Sanjay........I do so know the feeling. Butter cooked into things
seems to be okay, however.....cheeses, milk, ice cream......well, I only
momentarily 'borrow' dairy products. I think that the minimal amount of
butter spread out through the item it is cooked in negates the lactose
problem.

Try apple dumplings, or apple or any other fruit pie (most crusts are made
with a vegetable shortening not butter). If whipped topping is 'just needed
or you'll die' try the nondairy stuff in the aerator can.

=Ginny

Anthony

"Jamie_Canuck" > wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

> here's an article from Slate... with recomendations on the tastiest

lactose
> free milk beverage...
>
> http://slate.msn.com/id/2090629/

Really helpful, and funny, article. Thanks!

Richard Periut

The problem is that you and others affected don't produce enough of the
enzyme called lactase; an enzyme which breaks down the milk sugar into
galactose and glucose (respective monosaccharides.)

When you take products that are not liquid, not all of the lactose is
exposed to the bacteria which eventually will break it down; hence
producing gas which is what causes the symptoms.

There are others who have an allergic phenomenon, and this is a totally
different pathophysiology.

My suggestion: take lactose supplement (available in liquid and tablet
forms.)

HTH,

Richard

Sanjay Thomas wrote:
> Jack, I'm the same way. I can eat things made with milk and not worry about
> it, but if I have milk on it's own, I'm asking for some misery. Glad to
> know I'm not the only one.
>
> Sanjay
>

> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>>"Anthony" > wrote in message
>>
>>>My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has

> just
>
>>>been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not

> feed
>
>>>them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend

>>heavily
>>
>>>on butter and cream. TIA.
>>>

>>Some folks are ok with butter and cheese. I'm the only person I know who
>>can eat cheese, butter, sour cream, et al, but get nauseous when I drink a
>>glass of milk.
>>
>>Why not ask them?
>>
>>Jack Casein

Dave Smith

Anthony wrote:

> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend heavily
> on butter and cream. TIA.

Get a bottle of Lactaid and feed her two or three tablets of it before serving
up your usual dishes. I am a little lactose intolersant. With two Lactaids I can
enjoy a whipping cream.

MrAoD

"Jack Schidt®" writes:

>"Anthony" > wrote in message
>> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
>> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
>> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend

>heavily
>> on butter and cream. TIA.
>>

>Some folks are ok with butter and cheese. I'm the only person I know who
>can eat cheese, butter, sour cream, et al, but get nauseous when I drink a
>glass of milk.

No you're not. At least, not now. ;-)

Anthony, check with your in-law and see just how lactose intolerant she is.
Many folks with mild lactose intolerance can do butter since it's almost
entirely milk fat and contains very little milk sugar (lactose) which is what
causes the problem. ditto most aged (rennet curred) cheeses. Avoid all
processed cheese, including cream cheese, which is not the product of
rennet-digested curds.

As a tip, if you used any processed foods such as canned or jarred sauces, read
the labels carefully and look for either milk solids, lactose, or such.
There's a lot of it hiding out there.

Also, check to make certain it's lactose intolerance and not a milk allergy.
Allergies can cause really bad reactions, lactose intolerance, at worst, can
make everyone else in the room wish they were in another zip code.

DAMHIKT.

Marc

>Why not ask them?
>
>Jack Casein

Jack Schidt®

"Sanjay Thomas" > wrote in message
> Jack, I'm the same way. I can eat things made with milk and not worry

about
> it, but if I have milk on it's own, I'm asking for some misery. Glad to
> know I'm not the only one.
>
> Sanjay

If I get the urge I go with soy 'milk'.

Jack Westsoy

Julia Altshuler

A few people have suggested that you give her lact-aid or try goat milk
or butter or hard cheeses. I know the advice is meant well, but I
respectfully disagree. The woman has just been to the doctor recently.
The chances are good that she herself doesn't know yet how bad her
lactose intolerance is, how much milk she can handle, whether she can
tolerate cheese or goat milk, etc. She's coming to visit. The last
thing she needs is a relative prescribing medicines and doling out
medical advice. The best thing to do is to make dairy-free meals or put
all the dairy in one item (dessert) that she can politely decline.

I have a friend who has also been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. I,
being interested in special diets and nutrition, immediately began
explaining about the difference between milk sugar and milk protein and
how she could probably eat cheese and going on in that vein. She
stopped me and said that she could experiment. All she'd need to do is
choose a day when it didn't matter if she spent 12 hours on the toilet
feeling horrible in order to determine if she could tolerate that amount
of cheese. She doesn't have that day! When she put it to me like that,
I realized she was right. Here I am telling her HER to experiment with
being sick to her stomach. I can't blame the original poster's relative
for not wanting to spend a nice visit with family wondering when she's
going to get sick. Far better to give her dairy-free meals and let her
enjoy her visit.

--Lia

Dave Smith

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> A few people have suggested that you give her lact-aid or try goat milk
> or butter or hard cheeses. I know the advice is meant well, but I
> respectfully disagree.

I am glad that you are disagreeing respectfully. I am lactose intolerant and
I can tell you that Lactaid helps. I have a good friend who was also Lactose
intolerant but who was unwilling to try the pills. She had been using the
milk with the lactase added, and without much luck. but the pills worked
great for her.

> The woman has just been to the doctor recently.
> The chances are good that she herself doesn't know yet how bad her
> lactose intolerance is, how much milk she can handle, whether she can
> tolerate cheese or goat milk, etc. She's coming to visit. The last
> thing she needs is a relative prescribing medicines and doling out
> medical advice. The best thing to do is to make dairy-free meals or put
> all the dairy in one item (dessert) that she can politely decline.

A rule I have learned to apply is that there appears to be an inverse
relationship between milk sugar and fat. The more fat there is the less
lactose. It would never occur to me to drink milk, because I never liked
the stuff and this problem just reinforced it, I do use it on cereal and in
cooking. I use whole milk. It may seem odd, but I an get away with using
high fat milk. Ice cream used to bother me a lot, but now that I make my
own and am using whole milk and whipping cream I do not have a problem with
it.

> I have a friend who has also been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. I,
> being interested in special diets and nutrition, immediately began
> explaining about the difference between milk sugar and milk protein and
> how she could probably eat cheese and going on in that vein. She
> stopped me and said that she could experiment. All she'd need to do is
> choose a day when it didn't matter if she spent 12 hours on the toilet
> feeling horrible in order to determine if she could tolerate that amount
> of cheese. She doesn't have that day! When she put it to me like that,
> I realized she was right. Here I am telling her HER to experiment with
> being sick to her stomach.

I have never heard of anyone having to spend the whole day on the can for
having a but of cheese. From my personal experience it is a matter of a lot
of gas or a brief case of the intestines being flushed. No long term
suffering.

> I can't blame the original poster's relative
> for not wanting to spend a nice visit with family wondering when she's
> going to get sick. Far better to give her dairy-free meals and let her
> enjoy her visit.
>
> --Lia

Anthony

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message

> Far better to give her dairy-free meals and let her
> enjoy her visit.
>
> --Lia

Very good advice, which I shall follow. Thanks.

JonquilJan

Jack Schidt® > wrote in message
m...

> "Anthony" > wrote in message
> > My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has

just
> > been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not

feed
> > them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend

> heavily
> > on butter and cream. TIA.
> >

> Some folks are ok with butter and cheese. I'm the only person I know who
> can eat cheese, butter, sour cream, et al, but get nauseous when I drink a
> glass of milk.
>
> Why not ask them?
>
> Jack Casein

Same here Jack. Can't take fluid milk but fine with cheese, butter, etc.

Suggest have a quart or two of soy milk available for things such as cereal,
coffee. Also ask about the limits of her dietary problems. You may find
your desserts are jusy fine for her - or not.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Dimitri

"Anthony" > wrote in message
> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend

heavily
> on butter and cream. TIA.

1. Cook with Olive oil.
2. Have some Lactaid on hand.
3. Any dishes that use cheese - serve the cheese on the side, the same
with sour cream.
4. For Dessert - think fruit, and/or sorbet and/or angel food cake.
Frozen berries over sorbet is especially nice. For casual dessert buy the
frozen Dryers fruit bars..... :-)

Dimitri

Julianne

I am lactose intolerant as well. I do fine (but I can't speak for everyone)
with cheese and yogurt. Butter shouldn't be problem. When using milk, do
so in small amounts and buy 'Lactaid' brand.

There are products designed to help with the breakdown of lactose. Perhaps
whoever diagnosed her recommended one.

I did make a pie the other night from pudding. It really upset my stomach.
I don't know what I was thinking when I ate it. Ice cream also has a bad
effect on me but frozen yogurt does not.

"Anthony" > wrote in message
> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend

heavily
> on butter and cream. TIA.

Julianne

> I recently posted about goat's milk, and was told that goat's milk can
> easily be substituted in place of cow's milk in recipes so you could do

that
> if you require milk for something. I have found that I quite like goat's
> milk and am happy to be eating cereal again! I'm sure if you did a search
> on goat's milk, you could find a number of recipes for desserts that would
> be delicious.
>
> rona

My mother loves to tell the story of how I couldn't handle any milk based
formulas and thus, I was raised on goat's milk. That would be fine but she
goes on to tell how I smelled like a goat as well.

> ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***

Frogleg

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 17:09:49 -0500, "Anthony" >
wrote:

>My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
>been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
>them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend heavily
>on butter and cream. TIA.

Lactose is milk sugar, and therefore is contained in virtually all
dairy products. Even, alas, cheese and baked goods made with milk. If
she has just been diagnosed, she probably hasn't experimented to see
if she can tolerate lactose in some forms, like yogurt, or when
combined with other foods, as in baked goods. The condition is caused
by a lack of the enzyme lactase, and some are able to take lactase
tablets before eating foods with lactose to reduce symptoms. Best to
ask what guidelines her doctor has suggested. If she's not crazy for
dairy-rich deserts, you might be able to make some for everyone else
and serve her some sugary fruit concoction wthout torturing her.
Dawn

Anthony wrote:

> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend heavily
> on butter and cream. TIA.

Butter usually isn't a problem for me as it is used in most recipes in
such small quantities. As long as dinner isn't swimming in a cheese
sauce I'm ok.

A nice dessert is angel food cake with berries (fresh or cooked) over
the top. Ice cream or whipped cream for those who can handle it.
Cool-whip is a possibility if she likes that. Likewise fruit pies.

I find most of the dairy substitutes are just nasty, though I've gotten
used to the lactose milk. I only use it in tea and coffee anyway.

The lactose tablets do nothing for me, though I've known people who
swear by them. I have good success with the droplets that you add to
soft dairy like sour cream at least 24 hours before you eat them.

Dawn

kalanamak

Anthony wrote:

> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend heavily
> on butter and cream. TIA.

A cut and paste of an old Joe The Pie Man post:

Wet-bottom Shoo-Fly Pie

This is from The Art of Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking by Edna Eby
Heller (1968) and is attributed to Ella Woodside of Millersburg,
PA. Heller gives 2 other variations, both drier.

Novices may be alarmed by the looks of the finished pie. The top
will be crumbly in appearance. This is OK. What you want is a
crumbly surface, a cake-like midlevel, and a damp zone next to
the crust.

Liquid ingredients:
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup molasses
3/4 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon baking soda

Crumbs:
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening

Unbaked pastry shell

Beat the egg yolk in a small bowl. Blend in the molasses. Add
the boiling water with the soda dissolved in it. Set aside.

Combined dry ingredients with shortening and work into crumbs
with fingers. Put liquid into pastry shell and top with crumbs.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to
325 and bake 35 minutes longer.

William Woys Weaver's Pennsylvania Dutch Country Cooking
gives yet another variant which I have not tried. He suggests
using a food processor to make the crumbs and making sure that
the crumbs are spready evenly along the sides to prevent
overflow during baking.

Weaver also claims the dish was first served at the Philadelphia
Centennial in 1876 as Centennial Cake and later became known
as Shoofly Pie in reference to the brand of molasses used in the
original version.

Heller's brand of choice is Brer Rabbit yellow label. Blackstrap
would probably be too assertive.

Kajikit

Anthony saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on Sun, 9 Nov 2003 17:09:49 -0500:

>My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
>been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
>them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend heavily
>on butter and cream. TIA.

If a cake recipe says to use milk you can substitute water or
unsweetened fruit juice without affecting the flavour adversely. I
never bake with milk unless it's a milkpudding or a custardy-type
thing. I use margerine to bake with, and while it has small amounts of
'dairy' in it it's never affected me at all. The lactose is long-gone.

I'm lactose-intolerant and I found lactaid to be a GODSEND because it
let me have my dairy goodies again! About the only dairy products I'm
'safe' with without the pills is parmasen cheese - it's aged long
enough that there isn't any lactose left in it. Theoretically all aged
cheeses should be safe, but I can't have more than a little of them.

You can buy lactose-free milk and yoghurt - this has had the lactaid
enzyme mixed into it in the factory, and it only has a trace of
lactose left in it (and it tastes exactly the same as ordinary milk).
I used to buy the milk all the time, but lactaid tablets are cheaper!
(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

Frogleg

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:30:04 -0800, kalanamak >
wrote:

>Anthony wrote:
>
>> My bro in law and his wife are coming to stay for a week and she has just
>> been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Any tips on what to feed/ not feed
>> them? In particular, any good dessert recipes? Most of mine depend heavily
>> on butter and cream. TIA.

>Wet-bottom Shoo-Fly Pie

<snip recipe>
>Unbaked pastry shell

I was thinking of some fruit tart or pie, but realized the piecrust
might be a problem. Made with lard or 'shortening' would be OK, of
course. When I make piecrust, I use butter. Have no clue what 'ready
to bake' crusts include. Something to watch out for.

I've never had Shoo-Fly pie. Pretty good, eh?
Kajikit

Julia Altshuler saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told
us all about it on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:17:48 GMT:

>A few people have suggested that you give her lact-aid or try goat milk
>or butter or hard cheeses. I know the advice is meant well, but I
>respectfully disagree. The woman has just been to the doctor recently.

>I have a friend who has also been diagnosed as lactose intolerant. I,
>being interested in special diets and nutrition, immediately began
>explaining about the difference between milk sugar and milk protein and
>how she could probably eat cheese and going on in that vein. She
>stopped me and said that she could experiment. All she'd need to do is
>choose a day when it didn't matter if she spent 12 hours on the toilet
>feeling horrible in order to determine if she could tolerate that amount
>of cheese. She doesn't have that day! When she put it to me like that,
>I realized she was right. Here I am telling her HER to experiment with
>being sick to her stomach. I can't blame the original poster's relative
>for not wanting to spend a nice visit with family wondering when she's
>going to get sick. Far better to give her dairy-free meals and let her
>enjoy her visit.

I agree Lia! It's funny - I've been lactose-intolerant for donkeys
years but my family refused to believe it until the doctor confirmed
it (simply on the basis of my verbal report of dairy's effect on me)
Lactose-intolerance is not a major illness in most people... but it
does spoil your enjoyment of life to realise that almost anything you
eat could result in stomach cramps, horrible anti-social gas, and
plenty of visits to the bathroom in the rest of the day...

Lactaid was wonderful stuff for me - it freed me from worrying about
what I was putting into my mouth. I use a double-dose of
double-strength stuff because I prefer to be safe than sorry.

Interestingly, commercial icecream doesn't affect me badly unless it's
gourmet homestyle stuff. The cheaper icecream has more air and
vegetable gum and stabilisers in it than actual milk and cream! Cream
is deadly to my tummy... the lady in question has to work out for
herself what's 'safe' for her. I'm sure she's got a pretty good idea
already, but a family visit is probably not the best time to refine
her tolerance levels!

Don't use cheese in the food unless you want to torture her.

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Sanjay Thomas

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> "Sanjay Thomas" > wrote in message
> > Jack, I'm the same way. I can eat things made with milk and not worry

> about
> > it, but if I have milk on it's own, I'm asking for some misery. Glad to
> > know I'm not the only one.
> >
> > Sanjay
> >

> > "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> > m...

> > just

> > feed
> > > heavily
> > > >

> > > Some folks are ok with butter and cheese. I'm the only person I know

> who
> > > can eat cheese, butter, sour cream, et al, but get nauseous when I

drink
> > > glass of milk.
> > >
> > > Why not ask them?
> > >
> > > Jack Casein
> > >

> Jack, Sanjay........I do so know the feeling. Butter cooked into things
> seems to be okay, however.....cheeses, milk, ice cream......well, I only
> momentarily 'borrow' dairy products. I think that the minimal amount of
> butter spread out through the item it is cooked in negates the lactose
> problem.
>
> Try apple dumplings, or apple or any other fruit pie (most crusts are made
> with a vegetable shortening not butter). If whipped topping is 'just

needed
> or you'll die' try the nondairy stuff in the aerator can.
>
> =Ginny

Just milk in liquid form bothers me. I tend to clarify butter and that
helps, I guess. I haven't had a glass of milk, aside from chocolate soy
milk, for years, but I cook with milk/cream/butter all the time (I follow
the Julia school of thought, the richer the better!) Thanks for the
suggestions.

Sanjay

Sanjay Thomas

I make sure I get my calcium either through calcium enriched orange juice or
chocolate soy milk... I broke way too many bones growing up because milk
made me sick.

Sanjay

"Richard Periut" > wrote in message
> The problem is that you and others affected don't produce enough of the
> enzyme called lactase; an enzyme which breaks down the milk sugar into
> galactose and glucose (respective monosaccharides.)
>
> When you take products that are not liquid, not all of the lactose is
> exposed to the bacteria which eventually will break it down; hence
> producing gas which is what causes the symptoms.
>
> There are others who have an allergic phenomenon, and this is a totally
> different pathophysiology.
>
> My suggestion: take lactose supplement (available in liquid and tablet
> forms.)
>
> HTH,
>
> Richard
>
> Sanjay Thomas wrote:
> > Jack, I'm the same way. I can eat things made with milk and not worry

about
> > it, but if I have milk on it's own, I'm asking for some misery. Glad to
> > know I'm not the only one.
> >
> > Sanjay
> >

> > "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> > m...

> > just

> > feed

> >>heavily

> >>Some folks are ok with butter and cheese. I'm the only person I know

who
> >>can eat cheese, butter, sour cream, et al, but get nauseous when I drink

> >>glass of milk.
> >>
> >>Why not ask them?
> >>
> >>Jack Casein

Sanjay Thomas

If it's chocolate soy milk I'm with ya, the regular soy milk just isn't
close enough to milk to suit my tastes. At least with the chocolate I can
pretend it's a chocolate shake. I don't pretend to like the texture of soy
products, but they do have their uses. I'm especially liking fried soy
recently; the soft inside and slightly crispy outside is interesting.

Sanjay