Fly4CAP

Default baking for a gluten-intolerant friend

I have a friend and co-worker who cannot tolerate gluten found and
most flours. As such she cannot enjoy my wares when I bring them in.
Is there any type of flour that I could substitute that is free of
gluten? She can handle other types of protiens, so I can add eggs as
necessary for structure. Thanks

Thomas H. O'Reilly

There are several gluten free web sites and recipes. Rice flour is one
quote substitute close-quote; however, it behaves very differently. If you
Google under Gluten Free Recipes, you'll get a raft of them.
"Fly4CAP" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a friend and co-worker who cannot tolerate gluten found and
> most flours. As such she cannot enjoy my wares when I bring them in.
> Is there any type of flour that I could substitute that is free of
> gluten? She can handle other types of protiens, so I can add eggs as
> necessary for structure. Thanks

Roy

You have to face the fact that gluten free flour does not perform
similarliy as the normal gluten containing flours.
There is no way you can reproduce exactly the results in your bakery
products using non gluten flours.
Therefore if you opt for substitution think of the result as a product
unique by itself ,

Mike Avery

Fly4CAP wrote:

> I have a friend and co-worker who cannot tolerate gluten found and
>most flours. As such she cannot enjoy my wares when I bring them in.
>Is there any type of flour that I could substitute that is free of
>gluten? She can handle other types of protiens, so I can add eggs as
>necessary for structure.

Many recipes I've seen are pretty gross and unbelieveable. Bob's Red
Mill makes a gluten free baking mix that handles very much like flour.

The best book I've seen is the "Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread" by
Betty Hagman. We tried a number of her recipes, and they even pleased
bread lovers.

Check and see if your library has it...

Mike