Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seasonal flu vaccine. I got stabbed! ??

Andy wrote:
> OT: Seasonal flu vaccine. I got stabbed! ??
>
> Got a seasonal flu vaccine yesterday. The name of it was Fluzone.
>
> A question to anyone who knows, the nurse mentioned that it may take
> 12 days to be fully effective. So until then I'm still at risk of
> getting influenza.
>
> That long???

For protection that the vaccine is fully capable of providing, yes. HOWEVER,
the protection is on a growth curve. After thirty-six hours there is more
protection than there was prior to receiving the immunization. Each day
after, the increase in protection grows until your immune system has
produced as much preparatory response from the vaccine as it is capable.

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in
:

> Andy wrote:
>> OT: Seasonal flu vaccine. I got stabbed! ??
>>
>> Got a seasonal flu vaccine yesterday. The name of it was Fluzone.
>>
>> A question to anyone who knows, the nurse mentioned that it may take
>> 12 days to be fully effective. So until then I'm still at risk of
>> getting influenza.
>>
>> That long???

> For protection that the vaccine is fully capable of providing, yes.
> HOWEVER, the protection is on a growth curve. After thirty-six hours
> there is more protection than there was prior to receiving the
> immunization. Each day after, the increase in protection grows until
> your immune system has produced as much preparatory response from the
> vaccine as it is capable.

OK. So I wasn't misinformed. Good.

I just had to ask out for reassurance.

So I won't train into work for a little longer. The train, depending on
hours is usually 5 cars long and is empty when I board and packed,
standing room only by time I arrive, with everybody coughing, wheezing
and sneezing in such tight confines, I've been driving into the city to
avoid "inheriting" a trainful of germs. As convenient as it is, it's a
germ method of transportation, imho.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> OT: Seasonal flu vaccine. I got stabbed! ??
>>>
>>> Got a seasonal flu vaccine yesterday. The name of it was Fluzone.
>>>
>>> A question to anyone who knows, the nurse mentioned that it may take
>>> 12 days to be fully effective. So until then I'm still at risk of
>>> getting influenza.
>>>
>>> That long???

>> For protection that the vaccine is fully capable of providing, yes.
>> HOWEVER, the protection is on a growth curve. After thirty-six hours
>> there is more protection than there was prior to receiving the
>> immunization. Each day after, the increase in protection grows until
>> your immune system has produced as much preparatory response from the
>> vaccine as it is capable.

> OK. So I wasn't misinformed. Good.
>
> I just had to ask out for reassurance.
>
> So I won't train into work for a little longer. The train, depending
> on hours is usually 5 cars long and is empty when I board and packed,
> standing room only by time I arrive, with everybody coughing, wheezing
> and sneezing in such tight confines, I've been driving into the city
> to avoid "inheriting" a trainful of germs. As convenient as it is,
> it's a germ method of transportation, imho.

Andy, don't hesitate to purchase and wear a mask that is rated NS-100 if you
know you are going to be in a crowded, contained situation like public
transportation. The common type look a lot like dust masks. Also carry a
pocket sized bottle of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer like 'Purell', and
make use of it during your train ride where you are touching contaminated
surfaces. In between use, do not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth with your
bare hands.
--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in
:

> Andy wrote:
>> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in
>> :

>>> For protection that the vaccine is fully capable of providing, yes.
>>> HOWEVER, the protection is on a growth curve. After thirty-six hours
>>> there is more protection than there was prior to receiving the
>>> immunization. Each day after, the increase in protection grows until
>>> your immune system has produced as much preparatory response from
>>> the vaccine as it is capable.

>> OK. So I wasn't misinformed. Good.
>>
>> I just had to ask out for reassurance.
>>
>> So I won't train into work for a little longer. The train, depending
>> on hours is usually 5 cars long and is empty when I board and packed,
>> standing room only by time I arrive, with everybody coughing,
>> wheezing and sneezing in such tight confines, I've been driving into
>> the city to avoid "inheriting" a trainful of germs. As convenient as
>> it is, it's a germ method of transportation, imho.

> Andy, don't hesitate to purchase and wear a mask that is rated NS-100
> if you know you are going to be in a crowded, contained situation like
> public transportation. The common type look a lot like dust masks.
> Also carry a pocket sized bottle of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
> like 'Purell', and make use of it during your train ride where you are
> touching contaminated surfaces. In between use, do not touch your
> eyes, nose, or mouth with your bare hands.

Dave,

I religiously carry a pocket sized Purell and have large ones in the
bathroom and kitchen for use and to refill the pocket bottle.

I know about the masks you mention and have seen them worn on news
coverage, I believe mostly in Japan. Not a bad idea but since I haven't
seen them much in Philly, I'd feel as if I'd stand out. As if I don't
stand out enough as it is.

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I know about the masks you mention and have seen them worn on news
> coverage, I believe mostly in Japan. Not a bad idea but since I
> haven't seen them much in Philly, I'd feel as if I'd stand out. As if
> I don't stand out enough as it is.

I hear ya. When I had to fly cross-country recently, stuffed with pain pills
to get me through, I wore a mask as soon as I was settled into my seat on
the plane. I felt a bit sheepish at first, but then the pain medication made
everything 'alright', if ya know what I mean.

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in
:

> Andy wrote:
>
>> I know about the masks you mention and have seen them worn on news
>> coverage, I believe mostly in Japan. Not a bad idea but since I
>> haven't seen them much in Philly, I'd feel as if I'd stand out. As if
>> I don't stand out enough as it is.

> I hear ya. When I had to fly cross-country recently, stuffed with pain
> pills to get me through, I wore a mask as soon as I was settled into
> my seat on the plane. I felt a bit sheepish at first, but then the
> pain medication made everything 'alright', if ya know what I mean.

In the clouds in the clouds?

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu > wrote in
:

> [...]
> with your bare hands. -->
> -->
> -->Dave,
> -->
> -->I religiously carry a pocket sized Purell and have large ones in
> the -->bathroom and kitchen for use and to refill the pocket bottle.
> -->
> -->I know about the masks you mention and have seen them worn on news
> -->coverage, I believe mostly in Japan. Not a bad idea but since I
> haven't -->seen them much in Philly, I'd feel as if I'd stand out. As
> if I don't -->stand out enough as it is.
> -->
> -->Best,
> -->
> -->Andy
> -->
>

> Better to stand out than possibly get sick and die.
>
> btw.. when did you ever worry about standing out?

When I'm out standing in my field?

<G>

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>
> > I know about the masks you mention and have seen them worn on news
> > coverage, I believe mostly in Japan. Not a bad idea but since I
> > haven't seen them much in Philly, I'd feel as if I'd stand out. As if
> > I don't stand out enough as it is.

> I hear ya. When I had to fly cross-country recently, stuffed with pain pills
> to get me through, I wore a mask as soon as I was settled into my seat on
> the plane. I felt a bit sheepish at first, but then the pain medication made
> everything 'alright', if ya know what I mean.

Yea, on my 7hr or so flight back from Hawaii a month ago, I had friggin'
typhoid Mary across the aisle from me with the mask and a purse full of
pill bottles... I'm not dead yet at least...