Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default TV news promoting early flu vaccine!?!

Andy wrote:

> Talking heads are trying to sell the public to get early flu vaccine.
>
> I've heard objections that they're simply beta testing a swine/bird flu
> variant on the general public.
>
> I may just skip this year's flu vaccine.
>
> Thoughts?

Apparently, this year's flu can kill you. How much worse could the beta be?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 5:30*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > Talking heads are trying to sell the public to get early flu vaccine.

> > I've heard objections that they're simply beta testing a swine/bird flu
> > variant on the general public.

> > I may just skip this year's flu vaccine.

> > Thoughts?

> Apparently, this year's flu can kill you. How much worse could the beta be?

I'm getting the regular flu shot as soon as it's available (mid
Sept?). Won't likely be eligible for swine flu vaccine, but I
wouldn't hesitate to get it.

> Bob

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> On Aug 26, 5:30*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>> > Talking heads are trying to sell the public to get early flu vaccine.

>> > I've heard objections that they're simply beta testing a swine/bird

flu
>> > variant on the general public.

>> > I may just skip this year's flu vaccine.

>> > Thoughts?

>> Apparently, this year's flu can kill you. How much worse could the beta

> e?
>
> I'm getting the regular flu shot as soon as it's available (mid
> Sept?). Won't likely be eligible for swine flu vaccine, but I
> wouldn't hesitate to get it.
>>
>> Bob

> --Bryan

I wonder why the early press to get the vaccine.

I used to get flu stabbed for free at the PA Health Department. Now I have
to call around. I'm also picky about which flu shot I get. All flu shots
are NOT the same.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 6:34*am, Andy > wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® said...
>

> > On Aug 26, 5:30*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> > wrote:

> flu

> >> Apparently, this year's flu can kill you. How much worse could the beta

> > e?

> > I'm getting the regular flu shot as soon as it's available (mid
> > Sept?). *Won't likely be eligible for swine flu vaccine, but I
> > wouldn't hesitate to get it.

> >> Bob

> > --Bryan

> I wonder why the early press to get the vaccine.
>
> I used to get flu stabbed for free at the PA Health Department. Now I have
> to call around. I'm also picky about which flu shot I get. All flu shots
> are NOT the same.

I'm less picky about flu shots, and more picky about breakfast.

> Andy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> On Aug 26, 5:30 am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:
>
>>Andy wrote:
>>
>>>Talking heads are trying to sell the public to get early flu vaccine.

>>>I've heard objections that they're simply beta testing a swine/bird flu
>>>variant on the general public.

>>>I may just skip this year's flu vaccine.

>>>Thoughts?

>>Apparently, this year's flu can kill you. How much worse could the beta be?

> I'm getting the regular flu shot as soon as it's available (mid
> Sept?). Won't likely be eligible for swine flu vaccine, but I
> wouldn't hesitate to get it.

Ditto. I substitute teach K-12, district-wide so my exposure is
massive. And if I'm infected, I could potentially spread the virus to
hundreds before realizing that what I'm coming down with is more than a
cold.

My 18 year-old daughter refused to get a flu shot last year, claiming
that in previous years the shot made her feel sicker than actually
having the flu. Then she got the flu, diagnosis confirmed by a nasal swab.

She says this year she'll be first in line with her sleeve rolled up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> I'm less picky about flu shots, and more picky about breakfast.

HA!!!

I only get flu stabbed once a year. I can afford to be picky.

Now breakfast? I daily have a huge range of foods to choose from. EMMM.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> Bobo Bonobo® said...
>
> > On Aug 26, 5:30*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> > wrote:

> flu

> >> Apparently, this year's flu can kill you. How much worse could the beta

> > e?
> >
> > I'm getting the regular flu shot as soon as it's available (mid
> > Sept?). Won't likely be eligible for swine flu vaccine, but I
> > wouldn't hesitate to get it.
> >>
> >> Bob

> > --Bryan

> I wonder why the early press to get the vaccine.
>
> I used to get flu stabbed for free at the PA Health Department. Now I have
> to call around. I'm also picky about which flu shot I get. All flu shots
> are NOT the same.

Actually, because the flu is starting to spread early this year, so I
have heard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen said...

> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>
>> On Aug 26, 5:30 am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
>> wrote:

>>>Apparently, this year's flu can kill you. How much worse could the beta
>>>be?

>> I'm getting the regular flu shot as soon as it's available (mid
>> Sept?). Won't likely be eligible for swine flu vaccine, but I
>> wouldn't hesitate to get it.

> Ditto. I substitute teach K-12, district-wide so my exposure is
> massive. And if I'm infected, I could potentially spread the virus to
> hundreds before realizing that what I'm coming down with is more than a
> cold.
>
> My 18 year-old daughter refused to get a flu shot last year, claiming
> that in previous years the shot made her feel sicker than actually
> having the flu. Then she got the flu, diagnosis confirmed by a nasal
> swab.
>
> She says this year she'll be first in line with her sleeve rolled up.

Kathleen,

I understand and don't disagree with you.

I'll get the flu shot but I'll wait until October or November to see if
early adopters suffer any ill effect.

I just am for the moment, a big chicken!

To be fair, I haven't studied up on the available flue vaccines like I
usually do.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>
> > Talking heads are trying to sell the public to get early flu vaccine.
> >
> > I've heard objections that they're simply beta testing a swine/bird flu
> > variant on the general public.
> >
> > I may just skip this year's flu vaccine.
> >
> > Thoughts?

> Apparently, this year's flu can kill you. How much worse could the beta be?

The flu *every* year can kill you and does kill a number of mostly
elderly or immune compromised folks. The H1N1 flu just seems to have a
higher mortality rate as well as a mortality rate that includes groups
not usually impacted such as otherwise healthy younger persons.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>
>> On Aug 26, 5:30 am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
>> wrote:

>>> Apparently, this year's flu can kill you. How much worse could the
>>> beta be?

>> I'm getting the regular flu shot as soon as it's available (mid
>> Sept?). Won't likely be eligible for swine flu vaccine, but I
>> wouldn't hesitate to get it.

> Ditto. I substitute teach K-12, district-wide so my exposure is
> massive. And if I'm infected, I could potentially spread the virus to
> hundreds before realizing that what I'm coming down with is more than a
> cold.
>
> My 18 year-old daughter refused to get a flu shot last year, claiming
> that in previous years the shot made her feel sicker than actually
> having the flu. Then she got the flu, diagnosis confirmed by a nasal swab.
>
> She says this year she'll be first in line with her sleeve rolled up.

I've had the standard flu vaccine every year for the last twenty years
and haven't had an upper respiratory problem other than from allergies
in all that time.

I was in boot camp in San Diego when the Asian flu epidemic hit the US
in 1957. I spent three weeks in Balboa Naval Hospital with that stuff
and since then I don't take chances.

My parents lived through the flu epidemic in the early twentieth
century, aka around WWI. Both survived but they never took chances on it
again either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. said...

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>> > Talking heads are trying to sell the public to get early flu vaccine.
>> >
>> > I've heard objections that they're simply beta testing a swine/bird
>> > flu variant on the general public.
>> >
>> > I may just skip this year's flu vaccine.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?

>> Apparently, this year's flu can kill you. How much worse could the beta
>> be?

> The flu *every* year can kill you and does kill a number of mostly
> elderly or immune compromised folks. The H1N1 flu just seems to have a
> higher mortality rate as well as a mortality rate that includes groups
> not usually impacted such as otherwise healthy younger persons.

I just got in touch with the PA Department of Health and talked to Carol
and there is no H1N1 vaccine.

There is also no seasonal vaccine until "maybe" Setember.

The reasearch I did last season yielded "fluarix " as the most potent
vaccination.

Do your own diligent research.

Andy

--