Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What would you bake...

for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
tea and chocolate, also cold water.

I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? Or
brownies?

No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.

Maybe fruit. I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters and am thinking
it wouldn't be a bad idea, and anything leftover will get used up by
me and the spousal unit.

And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
_that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
weekend<G>

Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.

TIA
maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 10:58*pm, Andy > wrote:
> maxine in ri > wrote in news:c549cc9e-256e-4776-ac4b-
> :
>

> > for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
> > Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
> > tea and chocolate, also cold water.

> > I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? * *Or
> > brownies?

> > No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.

> > Maybe fruit. *I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
> > that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters and am thinking
> > it wouldn't be a bad idea, and anything leftover will get used up by
> > me and the spousal unit.

> > And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
> > _that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
> > weekend<G>

> > Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.

> > TIA
> > maxine in ri

> maxine in ri,
>
> For tea, I'm reminded of afternoon tea with scones in England. A famous
> match.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

[digdigdig] Ah! here's that scone recipe. Hmmm. Only made 15
scones. Will think about it for the Sunday shows.
Someone on the winter thread mentioned cider. A crockpot of that
might be nice.....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri > wrote in news:f2c5e259-cb63-46c9-9b62-
:

> On Nov 3, 10:58*pm, Andy > wrote:
>> maxine in ri > wrote in news:c549cc9e-256e-4776-

ac4b-
>> :
>>

>> > for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
>> > Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee

or
>> > tea and chocolate, also cold water.

>> > I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? * *O

>> > brownies?

>> > No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.

>> > Maybe fruit. *I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
>> > that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters and am

thinking
>> > it wouldn't be a bad idea, and anything leftover will get used up by
>> > me and the spousal unit.

>> > And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
>> > _that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
>> > weekend<G>

>> > Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.

>> > TIA
>> > maxine in ri

>> maxine in ri,
>>
>> For tea, I'm reminded of afternoon tea with scones in England. A

famous
>> match.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

> [digdigdig] Ah! here's that scone recipe. Hmmm. Only made 15
> scones. Will think about it for the Sunday shows.
> Someone on the winter thread mentioned cider. A crockpot of that
> might be nice.....

Instead of scones, there's always plain ol' brownies. Then there's always
banana cake, in the brownie style. Include ReddiWhip?

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
> Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
> tea and chocolate, also cold water.
>
> I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? Or
> brownies?
>
> No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.
>
> Maybe fruit. I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
> that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters and am thinking
> it wouldn't be a bad idea, and anything leftover will get used up by
> me and the spousal unit.
>
> And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
> _that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
> weekend<G>
>
> Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.
>
> TIA
> maxine in ri

Brownies will go like hotcakes. Ditto muffins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
> _that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
> weekend<G>
>
> Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.

Well, this comes fomr a cake lover, so may not apply. I hate it when I
go somewhere and they do the fruit routine, it is like chickening out,
doing the easiest thing, and disguising it as a public health concern.
Let people worry about their own weight and provide both. As I have a
bunch of apples from the garden I might make a poundcake based apple
cake with cinnamon on top, which is nice and warming in the cold , wet
and dark weather...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 2:57*am, "Ravenlynne" > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
> > for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
> > Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
> > tea and chocolate, also cold water.

> > I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? * *Or
> > brownies?

> > No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.

> > Maybe fruit. *I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
> > that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters and am thinking
> > it wouldn't be a bad idea, and anything leftover will get used up by
> > me and the spousal unit.

> > And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
> > _that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
> > weekend<G>

> > Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.

> > TIA
> > maxine in ri

> Brownies will go like hotcakes. *

If brownies would go like hotcakes, why not just make hotcakes?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
> Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
> tea and chocolate, also cold water.
>
> I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? Or
> brownies?
>
> No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.

Select from the following list: Gingerbread, spice cake, coconut cake,
carrot cake, applesauce cake, oatmeal-date cookies, pumpkin bread, and
zucchini bread. Offer hot apple cider, too, and if you can get it, offer to
spike the drinks with Torani Ginger Spice syrup.

> Maybe fruit. I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
> that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters

"Adult theaters"? Were bananas involved?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Have you ever had a fruit pizza?
>
> At one job, a client delivered fruit pizzas to us at Christmas.
>
> Delicious works of art. Concentric circles of various fruits. And from
> memory it looked pretty time consuming to arrange.

That might be similar to teh apple cake I suggested.
Was it a pound cake base with the fruit on top in these fancy
patterns?
Perhaps with a whitewine gel covering it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > Maybe fruit. *I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
> > that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters

> "Adult theaters"? Were bananas involved?

Aarggh, coffee on teh keyboard: bad.
Member

Location: Glasgow
Smile

is the food for the kids or the adults, or both?

I would go for brownies as everyone likes them. my son loves cooking with me, he is 2 1/2, and made me chocolate muffins with his mum yesterday. but for his playgroup halloween party we made shortbread and used coloured icing and sweets to decorate them. we made scary faces and monsters.

All the kids loved them, and so did the adults. well so i was told as i was at work when the party was on.

Maybe something like that?

I have an easy recipe for shortbread on my blog at: -http://itcheninthekitchen.blogspot.com/
__________________
http://itcheninthekitchen.blogspot.com/
Itchen in the Kitchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-11-04, maxine in ri > wrote:

> No nuts allowed......

Has it really become that bad?

I'm assuming this due to issues with children who may be allergic to
peanuts, with parents too lame to teach the afflicted child to be
responsible for his/her own actions, that and you don't want to be
sued into the next life. I hadn't realized this "nuttyness" had
spread to all varieties of nuts. If some "no nut" kid comes to my
house, he's gonna die, cuz I love all kindsa nuts and baking nut
fumes, or even my own muching-an-almond nut breath, will have him
writhig in agony on my floor. I guess I'd better put up a sign in my
yard, "BEWARE OF DANGEROUS NUTS". Use your own interpretation.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Nielsen wrote:

> > And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
> > that crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
> > weekend<G>
> >
> > Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.

> Well, this comes fomr a cake lover, so may not apply. I hate it when I
> go somewhere and they do the fruit routine, it is like chickening out,
> doing the easiest thing, and disguising it as a public health concern.
> Let people worry about their own weight and provide both. As I have a
> bunch of apples from the garden I might make a poundcake based apple
> cake with cinnamon on top, which is nice and warming in the cold , wet
> and dark weather...

I like when people don't even bother to try to even build a fruit
basket, instead just putting a supermarket plastic bag full of apples
out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® wrote:

> > Brownies will go like hotcakes. *

> If brownies would go like hotcakes, why not just make hotcakes?
>
> --Bryan

What's a good recipe for a hotcake?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ravenlynne wrote:

> I like when people don't even bother to try to even build a fruit
> basket, instead just putting a supermarket plastic bag full of apples
> out.

....and anyone who'd do just that would probably be tasteless enough to
buy Red Delicious apples at that! Ugh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
> Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
> tea and chocolate, also cold water.
>
> I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? Or
> brownies?
>
> No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.
>
> Maybe fruit. I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
> that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters and am thinking
> it wouldn't be a bad idea, and anything leftover will get used up by
> me and the spousal unit.
>
> And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
> _that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
> weekend<G>
>
> Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.
>
> TIA
> maxine in ri

Rice crispy treats? No baking involved

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
> Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
> tea and chocolate, also cold water.
>
> I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? Or
> brownies?
>
> No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.
>
> Maybe fruit. I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
> that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters and am thinking
> it wouldn't be a bad idea, and anything leftover will get used up by
> me and the spousal unit.
>
> And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
> _that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
> weekend<G>
>
> Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.
>
> TIA
> maxine in ri

Can you make the macaroons with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds?
(that would freak out the "no nuts" Nazis). :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
maxine in ri > wrote:

> for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
> Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
> tea and chocolate, also cold water.
>
> I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? Or
> brownies?
>
> No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.
>
> Maybe fruit. I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
> that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters and am thinking
> it wouldn't be a bad idea, and anything leftover will get used up by
> me and the spousal unit.
>
> And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
> _that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
> weekend<G>
>
> Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.
>
> TIA
> maxine in ri

Small cookies, on the thought that there will be many children in the
audience and a small cookie might be less messy than anything else you
mentioned. Too many crumbs with muffins, IME.

Fruit: Ever hear of Keepsake apples? They are one of my favorite
varieties because they are a small apple‹I don't think I've ever seen
one more than about 2" across. Sweet and crisp.
http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-t...sake-apple.asp

Or pre-bagged grapes? Put a couple small clusters of grapes in a baggie.

I've got it!! Chocolate-covered cherries! That's the ticket!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
maxine in ri > wrote:

> Someone on the winter thread mentioned cider. A crockpot of that
> might be nice.....

Yessss! A reasonable use for a crockpot!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
10-30-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Select from the following list: Gingerbread, spice cake, coconut cake,
> carrot cake, applesauce cake, oatmeal-date cookies, pumpkin bread, and
> zucchini bread. Offer hot apple cider, too, and if you can get it,
> offer to spike the drinks with Torani Ginger Spice syrup.

If the event is held during the holiday season, gingerbread and pumpkin
bread are excellent ideas.

> "Adult theaters"? Were bananas involved?
>
> Bob

If Damsel were here she would *thwack* you for saying that. lol

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Rice crispy treats? No baking involved
>
> Jill

Since my husband is gluten intolerant, rice crispy treats are an
excellent idea, sometimes it is the only thing he can eat. Children
also seem to like them. You can make them a day or two ahead, which helps.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ravenlynne wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
>
>> for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
>> Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
>> tea and chocolate, also cold water.
>>
>> I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? Or
>> brownies?
>>
>> No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.
>>
>> Maybe fruit. I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
>> that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters and am thinking
>> it wouldn't be a bad idea, and anything leftover will get used up by
>> me and the spousal unit.
>>
>> And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
>> _that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
>> weekend<G>
>>
>> Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.
>>
>> TIA
>> maxine in ri

> Brownies will go like hotcakes. Ditto muffins.

If brownies, I'd think about making a non-chocolate one too. Not
everyone can eat chocolate--and some folks <gasp> may not be that
fond of it.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 8:29*am, "Ravenlynne" > wrote:
> Food Snob® wrote:
> > > Brownies will go like hotcakes. *

> > If brownies would go like hotcakes, why not just make hotcakes?

> > --Bryan

> What's a good recipe for a hotcake?

This appears to be a great one, but I'd add some vanilla extract, and
would up the butter to a full cube (2T):
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,194,...236200,00.html
Using cake flour makes them nicer too. Just use 1 cup + 2T of cake
flour.
Make sure to use whole milk too

I was, of course, joking, and hotcakes are probably not ideal for your
play.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 05:34:58 -0600, Andy > wrote:

>It was too long ago to remember and I didn't take much notice but the
>crust was sweet. Maybe a sweetened puffed pastry (?). I dunno.

It was probably pte sucrée.
http://www.joyofbaking.com/SweetPastryCrust.html

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Nov 2009 14:27:23 GMT, "Ravenlynne" > wrote:

>I like when people don't even bother to try to even build a fruit
>basket, instead just putting a supermarket plastic bag full of apples
>out.

It would be cuter in a basic brown bag with the top rolled down like a
pant cuff.

BTW: Are you packing yet?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 02:13:57 -0800 (PST), Food Snob®
> wrote:

>If brownies would go like hotcakes, why not just make hotcakes?

There you go, being practical again.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:34:45 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Rice crispy treats? No baking involved

Dingdingdingding! You just hit on the treat kiddies love.
Unfortunately, it's sticky and little fingers go everywhere.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:36:21 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Can you make the macaroons with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds?
>(that would freak out the "no nuts" Nazis). :-)

Why do macaroons need nuts at all? They're supposed to be light, not
crunchy.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:34:45 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>Rice crispy treats? No baking involved

> Dingdingdingding! You just hit on the treat kiddies love.
> Unfortunately, it's sticky and little fingers go everywhere.

Weeeellll.... you can't have everything

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:40:43 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Too many crumbs with muffins, IME.

Agreed.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 09:55:56 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>If brownies, I'd think about making a non-chocolate one too. Not
>everyone can eat chocolate--and some folks <gasp> may not be that
>fond of it.

If a brownie isn't all chocolate, it's an abomination. Nonchocolate
eaters should eat something else, like the macaroons or rice crispy
treats... or fruit.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 19:44:37 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri
> wrote:

>for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
>Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
>tea and chocolate, also cold water.
>
>I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? Or
>brownies?
>
>No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.
>
>Maybe fruit. I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
>that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters and am thinking
>it wouldn't be a bad idea, and anything leftover will get used up by
>me and the spousal unit.
>
>And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
>_that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
>weekend<G>
>
>Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before... trail mix, party
mix, some kind of mix. It's easy to make - just portion it out and
bag it up.

Are you responsible for everything or just bringing one thing?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 19:44:37 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri
> > wrote:
>
>>for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
>>Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
>>tea and chocolate, also cold water.
>>
>>I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? Or
>>brownies?
>>
>>No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.
>>
>>Maybe fruit. I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
>>that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters and am thinking
>>it wouldn't be a bad idea, and anything leftover will get used up by
>>me and the spousal unit.
>>
>>And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
>>_that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
>>weekend<G>
>>
>>Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.
>>

> I don't know why I didn't think of this before... trail mix, party
> mix, some kind of mix. It's easy to make - just portion it out and
> bag it up.

Chex-type party mix, sans nuts would be a good idea!

Or Seasoned Oyster Crackers

1/2 c. corn or neutral vegetable oil
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (not the dip mix)
2 tsp. dried dill weed
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 large package (1 lb. box) oysterette crackers

Blend together first four ingredients. Pour over oyster crackers in a
mixing bowl and stir until well coated. Refrigerate (tightly covered) until
ready
to serve.

In the OP's case, she could easily double or triple the amounts and portion
them out in bags. They're very tasty!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:8583f51cofvkj6i7lku25canrfoijsl3vg@
4ax.com:

> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 05:34:58 -0600, Andy > wrote:
>
>>It was too long ago to remember and I didn't take much notice but the
>>crust was sweet. Maybe a sweetened puffed pastry (?). I dunno.

> It was probably pte sucrée.
> http://www.joyofbaking.com/SweetPastryCrust.html

sf,

You're taxing what little memory I have left.

Probably but I can't say for certain.

Can I maybe see that as two fruit pizzas? At my door?

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 09:55:56 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>>If brownies, I'd think about making a non-chocolate one too. Not
>>everyone can eat chocolate--and some folks <gasp> may not be that
>>fond of it.

> If a brownie isn't all chocolate, it's an abomination. Nonchocolate
> eaters should eat something else, like the macaroons or rice crispy
> treats... or fruit.

Lemon squares.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
> Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
> tea and chocolate, also cold water.
>
> I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? Or
> brownies?
>
> No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.

I'm with you on the cookies, some recipe that makes a LOT.
(Gingersnaps? Snickerdoodles?) Muffins would require a lot of
batches and they don't keep as well as cookies.

In addition, Google "Texas sheetcake recipe". as a good sub for
brownies. It's a simple recipe and makes a BIG pan full.

And remember if a recipe says "sprinkle with pecans", you don't
hafta!

Is candy allowed? I'm thinking of friends and neighbors who are
moaning "What can I do with all my leftover Halloween candy?"
Get some donations!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 07:49:18 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:36:21 -0600, zxcvbob >
>wrote:
>
>>Can you make the macaroons with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds?
>>(that would freak out the "no nuts" Nazis). :-)

>Why do macaroons need nuts at all? They're supposed to be light, not
>crunchy.

Macaroons are made in many different ways with a wide variety of
ingredients. The classic French ones are made with ground almonds. A
variation of that is listed below.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archive..._chocolat.html

Chocolate Macarons

Makes about fifteen cookies

Adapted from The Sweet Life in Paris (Broadway) by David Lebovitz

Macaron Batter
1 cup (100 gr) powdered sugar
½ cup powdered almonds (about 2 ounces, 50 gr, sliced almonds,
pulverized)
3 tablespoons (25 gr) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
5 tablespoons (65 gr) granulated sugar

Chocolate Filling
½ cup (125 ml) heavy cream
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
4 ounces (120 gr) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely
chopped
1 tablespoon (15 gr) butter, cut into small pieces

Prune Filling
15 medium prunes (pitted), about 5 ounces (150 gr) prunes
2½ ounces (70 gr) best-quality milk chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons Armagnac

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (180 degrees C).

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and have a pastry bag
with a plain tip (about 1/2-inch, 2 cm) ready.

Grind together the powdered sugar with the almond powder and cocoa
so there are no lumps; use a blender or food processor since almond
meal that you buy isn't quite fine enough.

In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, beat the egg whites
until they begin to rise and hold their shape. While whipping, beat in
the granulated sugar until very stiff and firm, about 2 minutes.

Carefully fold the dry ingredients, in two batches, into the
beaten egg whites with a flexible rubber spatula. When the mixture is
just smooth and there are no streaks of egg white, stop folding and
scrape the batter into the pastry bag (standing the bag in a tall
glass helps if you're alone).

Pipe the batter on the parchment-lined baking sheets in 1-inch (3
cm) circles (about 1 tablespoon each of batter), evenly spaced
one-inch (3 cm) apart.

Rap the baking sheet a few times firmly on the counter top to
flatten the macarons, then bake them for 15-18 minutes. Let cool
completely then remove from baking sheet.

To make the prune filling:

Cut the prunes into quarters and pour boiling water over them.
Cover and let stand until the prunes are soft. Drain.

Squeeze most of the excess water from prunes and pass through a
food mill or food processor.

Melt the milk chocolate and the Armagnac in a double boiler or
microwave, stirring until smooth. Stir into the prune puree. Cool
completely to room temperature (it will thicken when cool.)

To make the chocolate filling:

Heat the cream in a small saucepan with the corn syrup. When the
cream just begins to boil at the edges, remove from heat and add the
chopped chocolate. Let sit one minute, then stir until smooth. Stir in
the pieces of butter. Let cool completely before using.

Assembly

Spread a bit of batter on the inside of the macarons then sandwich
them together. (You can pipe the filling it, but I prefer to spread it
by hand; it's more fun, I think.)

Let them stand at least one day before serving, to meld the
flavors.

Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or freeze. If you
freeze them, defrost them in the unopened container, to avoid
condensation which will make the macarons soggy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 19:44:37 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri
> wrote:

>for the intermission goodies at a children's theater ensemble play?
>Ticket price is $12, and if I can find a pot, I'll have hot coffee or
>tea and chocolate, also cold water.
>
>I'm thinking cookies, lots of cookies, but also maybe muffins? Or
>brownies?
>
>No nuts allowed, or I'd bake my killer almond macaroons.
>
>Maybe fruit. I'm debating on that one, since noone has ever offered
>that before, but I've seen it at a few adult theaters and am thinking
>it wouldn't be a bad idea, and anything leftover will get used up by
>me and the spousal unit.
>
>And the weekend after, I get to do it all again, and find out that
>_that_ crowd likes a totally different mix than I put out the first
>weekend<G>
>
>Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.
>
>TIA
>maxine in ri

Not too heavy on the sweets unless you want the kids bouncing off
their seats.
--
Susan N.

What Would You Bake In This Pan? Lou Decruss[_3_] General Cooking 37 04-11-2009 04:01 AM
How to bake a Car maxine in ri General Cooking 3 17-11-2008 04:56 PM
Bake it off [email protected][_1_] Baking 6 20-07-2007 10:28 PM
Bake off Temily General Cooking 18 12-10-2006 09:41 PM
No Bake Peanut Butter Balls (no bake, no flour, no eggs) Duckie ® Recipes 0 10-07-2005 03:08 AM