Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Bake it off

What moron made up the phrase, "Bake it off"? Bake it off of what? I
know what it means, but it sounds stupid. The first time I heard it
was when I started working in a bakery. I was told to break out
(another stupid term) some pies and bake them off. Why couldn't they
just say bake these pies? I've noticed Paula Deen says it a lot on
her shows. Is there a difference between baking a pie and baking off
a pie? I know for me, either way, they're going to come out just the
same.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Jun 24, 10:14?am, "Randy Johnson" > wrote:
> On 24-Jun-2007, wrote:
> > What moron made up the phrase, "Bake it off"?

> On of the early, syndicated writers of cooking articles. In the early
> days, before celebrity chefs, magazine and newspaper recipe contributors
> were paid by the word. Rather than a moron, it took a genius to figure out
> you can add 5% to your take by simply adding "off". Bake off, brown off,
> etc. Same guys who figured out that if you put Snails on your menu, in the
> US, you can't give the stuff away - call it escargot and you can put a high
> price on it. Use french words on a menu item and you can add 20-30% to the
> price. Morons? I think not, just opportunists.

Okay, then the people who fall for it are the morons.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:07:47 -0700, wrote:

>Okay, then the people who fall for it are the morons.

Well, you're the one who took the job in the bakery...

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.baking

Bake off...ok..??

--

Laura

-Sautéed poo is still poo!

Come join us at The Dirty Old Ladies and The Dirty Old Men!

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> What moron made up the phrase, "Bake it off"? Bake it off of what? I
> know what it means, but it sounds stupid. The first time I heard it
> was when I started working in a bakery. I was told to break out
> (another stupid term) some pies and bake them off. Why couldn't they
> just say bake these pies? I've noticed Paula Deen says it a lot on
> her shows. Is there a difference between baking a pie and baking off
> a pie? I know for me, either way, they're going to come out just the
> same.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 22:11:46 -0700, djs0302 wrote:

> "Bake it off"? Bake it off of what?

Humm ..why do we drive on a parkway but park in a driveway?

I can only think that 'off' here means to finish a process.
As in 'finish it off'. Do this and that and finally finish
(bake) it off, then cool it off... and bob's your uncle.

Posted to rec.food.baking

The baking of pies, like so many other things, was invented by the
Russians. Specifically, by Yuri Bakeoff. As a sign of respect,
Russians hence the whole world honors the esteemed Mr. Bakeoff by
saying "Bakeoff those pies."

> wrote:

> What moron made up the phrase, "Bake it off"? Bake it off of what? I
> know what it means, but it sounds stupid. The first time I heard it
> was when I started working in a bakery. I was told to break out
> (another stupid term) some pies and bake them off. Why couldn't they
> just say bake these pies? I've noticed Paula Deen says it a lot on
> her shows. Is there a difference between baking a pie and baking off
> a pie? I know for me, either way, they're going to come out just the
> same.

What would you bake... maxine in ri General Cooking 88 08-11-2009 05:30 PM
What Would You Bake In This Pan? Lou Decruss[_3_] General Cooking 37 04-11-2009 05:01 AM
How to bake a Car maxine in ri General Cooking 3 17-11-2008 05:56 PM
Bake off Temily General Cooking 18 12-10-2006 09:41 PM
No Bake Peanut Butter Balls (no bake, no flour, no eggs) Duckie ® Recipes 0 10-07-2005 03:08 AM