Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grilled cardboard

Whoops! Not enough flank steak for the unexpected overnight company
so off to the local grocery store. I need something to go with sticky
rice and grilled vegetables. Aha! Boneless-skinless-cardboard
breasts on sale. Cool. Took the package of 4 and cut each breast in
half lengthwise. I'll explain: Put your hand on the top of the breast
and slide a sharp knife through the breast, parallel with the cutting
board, producing 2 thinner breasts. I did this with all 4, yielding 8
thin breasts. Rinse and dry all the breasts. Now the marinade:

3/4 cup soy sauce

1 Tablespoon sesame oil

1 Teaspoon each onion, ginger, & garlic powders.

1 Tablespoon sesame seeds

Cover and marinate in the fridge for about an hour or until ready to grill

Glaze:

1/4 cup peach jam

2 Tablespoons water

2 Tablespoons sesame seeds

While the chicken is grilling, wash the marinating dish, then heat the
glaze and pour into the marinating dish. Turn on your oven to 350
degrees.

When the chicken is grilled to your liking, place them back into the
cleaned marinating dish and toss to coat the grilled breasts. Place
the dish in a 350 degree oven while you finish grilling the vegetables
and wait for the sticky rice to be done.

Yes, of course we had grilled vegetables:

Peel a large onion - the larger the better - and when clean, place 2
toothpicks into the onion from opposite ends about 1/4 inch from the
end. Then slice the onion about 1/2 inch from the end - you'll have a
nice round onion slice ready for grilling held together by toothpicks!

--
Dimitri

Last minute grilled Cardboard :-)

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 11:48*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> Whoops! *Not enough flank steak for the unexpected overnight company
> so off to the local grocery store. *I need something to go with sticky
> rice and grilled vegetables. *Aha! *Boneless-skinless-cardboard
> breasts on sale. *Cool. *Took the package of 4 and cut each breast in
> half lengthwise. I'll explain: Put your hand on the top of the breast
> and slide a sharp knife through the breast, parallel with the cutting
> board, producing 2 thinner breasts. *I did this with all 4, yielding 8
> thin breasts. *Rinse and dry all the breasts. *Now the marinade:

That sounds like something Ted Bundy would do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> Whoops! Not enough flank steak for the unexpected overnight company
> so off to the local grocery store. I need something to go with sticky
> rice and grilled vegetables. Aha! Boneless-skinless-cardboard
> breasts on sale. Cool. Took the package of 4 and cut each breast in
> half lengthwise. I'll explain: Put your hand on the top of the breast
> and slide a sharp knife through the breast, parallel with the cutting
> board, producing 2 thinner breasts. I did this with all 4, yielding 8
> thin breasts. Rinse and dry all the breasts. Now the marinade:
>
> 3/4 cup soy sauce
>
> 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
>
> 1 Teaspoon each onion, ginger, & garlic powders.
>
> 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
>
> Cover and marinate in the fridge for about an hour or until ready to grill
>

> Glaze:
>
> 1/4 cup peach jam
>
> 2 Tablespoons water
>
> 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
>
> While the chicken is grilling, wash the marinating dish, then heat the
> glaze and pour into the marinating dish. Turn on your oven to 350
> degrees.
>
> When the chicken is grilled to your liking, place them back into the
> cleaned marinating dish and toss to coat the grilled breasts. Place
> the dish in a 350 degree oven while you finish grilling the vegetables
> and wait for the sticky rice to be done.
>
> Yes, of course we had grilled vegetables:
>
> Peel a large onion - the larger the better - and when clean, place 2
> toothpicks into the onion from opposite ends about 1/4 inch from the
> end. Then slice the onion about 1/2 inch from the end - you'll have a
> nice round onion slice ready for grilling held together by toothpicks!

Overall that sounds really good, except for ginger powder! Dried ginger
only belongs in baked goods, imho (Ymmv of course). I've started
peeling and pureeing fresh ginger root and freezing it in a flat patty
in a ziplock. That way all I have to do is break off a hunk of what I
need now and it's ready to go.

I used to just freeze whole ginger root, but this is working better. :-)
Puree with just a little bit of water to get a good thick slurry.

Frozen ginger does grate well but still.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

> Overall that sounds really good, except for ginger powder! Dried ginger
> only belongs in baked goods, imho (Ymmv of course). I've started
> peeling and pureeing fresh ginger root and freezing it in a flat patty
> in a ziplock. That way all I have to do is break off a hunk of what I
> need now and it's ready to go.

I don't tend to agree. Ground ginger does add enough oomph to savory dishes
in the same way ground nutmeg does. Of course fresh grated is best, but
ground is the next best.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:47:32 -0400, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

>"Omelet" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> Overall that sounds really good, except for ginger powder! Dried ginger
>> only belongs in baked goods, imho (Ymmv of course). I've started
>> peeling and pureeing fresh ginger root and freezing it in a flat patty
>> in a ziplock. That way all I have to do is break off a hunk of what I
>> need now and it's ready to go.

>I don't tend to agree. Ground ginger does add enough oomph to savory dishes
>in the same way ground nutmeg does. Of course fresh grated is best, but
>ground is the next best.

I use ginger powder in oriental dishes quite often, the trick is to
first rehydrate it in cold water for a few minutes... I do the same
with granulated garlic. When used rehydrated first in a dish no one
can tell the difference. What do you think is used in preparing other
similar items, like mustard, and ketchup. Dehy spices and herbs are
used exclusively in sausages, what do you think flavors billions of
hotdogs... use of dehy is the only way to achieve consistancy. Anyone
who is averse to dehy ingredients had best give up brewski.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> >
> > Overall that sounds really good, except for ginger powder! Dried ginger
> > only belongs in baked goods, imho (Ymmv of course). I've started
> > peeling and pureeing fresh ginger root and freezing it in a flat patty
> > in a ziplock. That way all I have to do is break off a hunk of what I
> > need now and it's ready to go.

> I don't tend to agree. Ground ginger does add enough oomph to savory dishes
> in the same way ground nutmeg does. Of course fresh grated is best, but
> ground is the next best.

That's why I said YMMV. ;-) "Your mileage may vary"!
I respect individual tastes!

I'm just picky about fresh ginger...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

What to do with cardboard wine cradles Sri Bodhi Prana General Cooking 14 02-03-2009 10:42 PM
Cardboard buns - not! Peter A General Cooking 10 21-07-2007 07:06 PM
American hot dog tastes like cardboard ( Chinese food tastes like cardboard) [email protected] General Cooking 11 16-07-2007 10:31 AM
cardboard chawan curly mustache Tea 2 29-03-2005 11:30 PM
Wet cardboard flavor? Dick R. Wine 11 28-02-2005 12:08 AM