Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Simple syrup for mixing drinks

1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? (I've seen recipes both ways)

How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few weeks
to use it up? I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
handy...

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> 1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? (I've seen recipes both ways)
>
> How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few weeks
> to use it up? I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
> handy...

If the water content is low enough, it won't mold.
I think the level has to be below about 17%. I'm
trying to remember from my beekeeping days, though
honey has other mechanisms besides low water content
to resist microbial growth (principally yeasts).

This would be a very concentrated syrup, which would
need to be diluted before use. If it's pure sucrose,
it's likely to crystallize. A little corn syrup would
help to suppress that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> 1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? (I've seen recipes
>> both ways)
>>
>> How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few
>> weeks to use it up? I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium
>> sorbate handy...

> If the water content is low enough, it won't mold. I think the level
> has to be below about 17%. I'm trying to remember from my beekeeping
> days, though honey has other mechanisms besides low water content to
> resist microbial growth (principally yeasts).
>
> This would be a very concentrated syrup, which would need to be
> diluted before use. If it's pure sucrose, it's likely to
> crystallize. A little corn syrup would help to suppress that.

I want a thin syrup that will mix directly with cold drinks to sweeten
them without diluting too much. I thought about adding a little corn
syrup, or a pinch of citric acid and boiling it a while (inverts the
sucrose), but I think it will be dilute enough to not crystalize without
all that. Mold forming on top is going to be the biggest problem, but
might be manageable if I keep it in the fridge.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> 1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? (I've seen recipes both ways)
>
> How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few weeks
> to use it up? I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
> handy...

I have never had mold on mine, but I usually use it up within two weeks.
I put about a cup and a half of sugar in a 2 cup measuring cup and add
enough boiling water to dissolve it, usually leaving me with less than
1-3/4 cups of syrup.

Mold is a form of contamination. If you keep opened bottles of the syrup
in your fridge and put the top on after each use, you should not have a
problem for several months.

If you want to make it in large batches once in a while you should boil
it and then put it into sterilized bottles with sterilized
caps,tightened securely. That should prevent mold for many months.

If you have a problem with mold in the fridge it may be a good idea to
purge the fridge of old stuff and wash it to get rid of spores.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I want a thin syrup that will mix directly with cold drinks to sweeten
> them without diluting too much.

If you want a syrup that will sweeten without diluting too much you
should use a heavier syrup. There is less water in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message ...
|1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? (I've seen recipes both ways)
|
| How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few weeks
| to use it up? I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
| handy...
|
| Bob

I use 1:1, heated just until the sugar absorbs (microwave is fine
for this, just put 1C of sugar in a 2C Mason jar, add 1C of water
and heat until the sugar dissolves), then cool a bit, cover and
refrigerate. Some of the more fidgety recipes are trying to allow
for volume differences so you get the exact equivalent of one
measure of sugar with one measure of the syrup; I've never
found this to be necessary.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> 1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? (I've seen recipes both ways)
>
> How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few weeks
> to use it up? I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
> handy...
>
> Bob

I've had some that I made for iced tea, in the refrigerator since
early summer. No mold. ( I did throw it away because
iced tea weather is pretty close to over.

I boiled the sugar and water ( 1:1 I believe) till the sugar was
dissolved, poured it into a clean canning jar and put the lid on.
When it had cooled, I put it in the refrigerator. We used it a
few times and I forgot it was there till my husband found it at
the back of a bottom shelf last week.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

| "zxcvbob" > wrote in message ...
||1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? (I've seen recipes both ways)
|| How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few weeks
|| to use it up? I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
|| handy...
|| Bob
|
| I use 1:1, heated just until the sugar absorbs (microwave is fine
| for this, just put 1C of sugar in a 2C Mason jar, add 1C of water
| and heat until the sugar dissolves), then cool a bit, cover and
| refrigerate. Some of the more fidgety recipes are trying to allow
| for volume differences so you get the exact equivalent of one
| measure of sugar with one measure of the syrup; I've never
| found this to be necessary.

I have had a jar of it last easily for a month or so with no trouble
and really have never had a sign of mold on it. Before adding
weird things you might try it and see what mileage you get.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> 1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? (I've seen recipes both ways)
>
> How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few weeks
> to use it up? I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
> handy...
>
> Bob

By the way, simple syrup is a new product
at Trader Joe's. I haven't tried it because
I have no use for simple syrup. As I recall,
it's cheap, hence there would be no reason
to make it, if I had a need for such syrup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> 1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? (I've seen recipes both ways)
>>
>> How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few weeks
>> to use it up? I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
>> handy...
>>
>> Bob

> By the way, simple syrup is a new product
> at Trader Joe's. I haven't tried it because
> I have no use for simple syrup. As I recall,
> it's cheap, hence there would be no reason
> to make it, if I had a need for such syrup.

I am floored! Something as simple as simple syrup is being sold in a bottle?

Forgive me for not understanding who is so cooking impaired that they
can't measure 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water, put it in a pot or even
in the microwave and bring it to a boil? If one wants to get really
fancy, use bottles water.

I guess some folks will pay for anything.

Janet, still scratching her head over this one.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> Forgive me for not understanding who is so cooking impaired that they
> can't measure 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water, put it in a pot or even
> in the microwave and bring it to a boil? If one wants to get really
> fancy, use bottles water.
>
> I guess some folks will pay for anything.
>
> Janet, still scratching her head over this one.

LOL. I can't imagine anyone actually paying for simple syrup. The name
says it all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> By the way, simple syrup is a new product
> at Trader Joe's. I haven't tried it because
> I have no use for simple syrup. As I recall,
> it's cheap, hence there would be no reason
> to make it, if I had a need for such syrup.

If it costs more that 15¢ or so, I'd still make it. So easy to do and so
cheap. I make it about 2:1 and pour it in a glass syrup dispenser. Keeps
for weeks. I like it for iced tea and mint juleps.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> I am floored! Something as simple as simple syrup is being sold in a bottle?
>
> Forgive me for not understanding who is so cooking impaired that they
> can't measure 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water, put it in a pot or even
> in the microwave and bring it to a boil? If one wants to get really
> fancy, use bottles water.
>
> I guess some folks will pay for anything.
>
> Janet, still scratching her head over this one.

If your labor is worth more than $20 an hour,
you'd have to make the syrup from start to
finish (including clean-up) in less than six
minutes to break even making simple syrup from
scratch. And it's not like home-made simple
syrup is some kind of artisan food.

"The secret to Mom's simple syrup is a 2:1
blend of cane sugar and beet sugar, and only
mix it with natural water from Fiji."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> If your labor is worth more than $20 an hour,
> you'd have to make the syrup from start to
> finish (including clean-up) in less than six
> minutes to break even making simple syrup from
> scratch. And it's not like home-made simple
> syrup is some kind of artisan food.

Your labour is only worth money when someone is paying you. Even when I
was working I made a lot of things myself. I can't think of too many
good reasons to pay someone else to do something for me that I can do
myself. A few cents worth of sugar and a bit of water, which is almost
free, and a few cents for electricity to heat it up. It is a no brainer
for me.

Summer is Mojito time for me. I cheat and use a simple sugar and add
lime juice to it to save me the trouble of muddling the mint leaves in
sugar. But I use more of a 5:1 sugar syrup so that it doesn't dilute
the drink.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> 1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? (I've seen recipes both
>> ways)
>>
>> How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few
>> weeks
>> to use it up? I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
>> handy...

> I've had some that I made for iced tea, in the refrigerator since
> early summer. No mold. ( I did throw it away because
> iced tea weather is pretty close to over.

Ditto. I make it and store it in a pitcher in the refrigerator. It lasts
just fine, no mold. I guess if it was a problem, it's simple (harr)
enough to just make a small amount.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 18, 3:46*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> 1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? *(I've seen recipes both ways)
>
> How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few weeks
> to use it up? *I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
> handy...
>
> Bob

I think you're supposed to use that superfine sugar. Make no more
than you'll need per binge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Oct 18, 3:46 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> 1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? (I've seen recipes both ways)
>
> How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few weeks
> to use it up? I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
> handy...
>
> Bob

I think you're supposed to use that superfine sugar. Make no more
than you'll need per binge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>"Kalmia" > wrote in message
>On Oct 18, 3:46 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> 1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? (I've seen recipes both ways)
>>
>> How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few weeks
>> to use it up? I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
>> handy...
>>
>> Bob

>I think you're supposed to use that superfine sugar. Make no more
>than you'll need per binge.

Nope...the entire point of this is to be able to use standard sugar
and to make a batch to refrigerate, not a dribble for single use.

Use 1:1, boil lightly and it will keep for a month or more. Try it.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 18, 5:34*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > zxcvbob wrote:
> >> 1 part sugar to 1 part water, or is it 2:1? *(I've seen recipes both ways)

> >> How do you keep it from developing mold on top if it takes a few weeks
> >> to use it up? *I don't have any sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate
> >> handy...

> >> Bob

> > By the way, simple syrup is a new product
> > at Trader Joe's. *I haven't tried it because
> > I have no use for simple syrup. *As I recall,
> > it's cheap, hence there would be no reason
> > to make it, if I had a need for such syrup.

> I am floored! Something as simple as simple syrup is being sold in a bottle?
>
> Forgive me for not understanding who is so cooking impaired that they
> can't measure 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water, put it in a pot or even
> in the microwave and bring it to a boil? *If one wants to get really
> fancy, use bottles water.
>
> I guess some folks will pay for anything.

Many people pay perfectly good money for water in a bottle! Whatta
scam people bought into with that one!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> If your labor is worth more than $20 an hour,
> you'd have to make the syrup from start to
> finish (including clean-up) in less than six
> minutes to break even making simple syrup from
> scratch. And it's not like home-made simple
> syrup is some kind of artisan food.

At 55¢ a mile (present IRS allowed rate) to drive to the store it is much
more costly to buy. And would take longer than six minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> If your labor is worth more than $20 an hour, you'd have to
>> make the syrup from start to finish (including clean-up) in
>> less than six minutes to break even making simple syrup from
>> scratch. And it's not like home-made simple syrup is some
>> kind of artisan food.

> At 55¢ a mile (present IRS allowed rate) to drive to the
> store it is much more costly to buy. And would take longer
> than six minutes.

I think the assumption was that you are at the store already.

But I still think it's worth it to make my own because I'm a
control freak. ;-)

Currently sipping something like a double Gimlet, no ice,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>>> If your labor is worth more than $20 an hour, you'd have to make the
>>> syrup from start to finish (including clean-up) in less than six minutes
>>> to break even making simple syrup from
>>> scratch. And it's not like home-made simple syrup is some kind of
>>> artisan food.

>> At 55¢ a mile (present IRS allowed rate) to drive to the store it is
>> much more costly to buy. And would take longer than six minutes.
>>

> I think the assumption was that you are at the store already.
>
> But I still think it's worth it to make my own because I'm a control
> freak. ;-)
>
> Currently sipping something like a double Gimlet, no ice,
> Bob

But making it at home can also assumes you are already in the kitchen.
Takes about 2 minutes, maybe less. Put pot on stove, add water and sugar,
heat. At $20 an hour, you'd starve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Your labour is only worth money when someone is paying you. Even when I
> was working I made a lot of things myself. I can't think of too many
> good reasons to pay someone else to do something for me that I can do
> myself. A few cents worth of sugar and a bit of water, which is almost
> free, and a few cents for electricity to heat it up. It is a no brainer
> for me.
>

> Summer is Mojito time for me. I cheat and use a simple sugar and add
> lime juice to it to save me the trouble of muddling the mint leaves in
> sugar. But I use more of a 5:1 sugar syrup so that it doesn't dilute
> the drink.

Yum. A good mojito is sublime. A bad one is...awful. I had one
last summer that tasted like oversweetened lemonade with rum. Ugh.

I often use simple syrup that has fresh mint steeped in it to
improve a not-so-sweet early season cantaloupe. Very, very nice.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

>> Summer is Mojito time for me. I cheat and use a simple sugar and add
>> lime juice to it to save me the trouble of muddling the mint leaves in
>> sugar. But I use more of a 5:1 sugar syrup so that it doesn't dilute
>> the drink.

> Yum. A good mojito is sublime. A bad one is...awful. I had one last
> summer that tasted like oversweetened lemonade with rum. Ugh.
>
> I often use simple syrup that has fresh mint steeped in it to improve a
> not-so-sweet early season cantaloupe. Very, very nice.

I bash some fresh mint in a glass, add some of my lime syrup and some
fresh lime juice, add rum and soda water.

If you want to a really disgusting Mojito, Buy a bottle of of the
pre-made stuff. It is truly awful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Oct 18, 5:34 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Mark Thorson wrote:
>>> By the way, simple syrup is a new product
>>> at Trader Joe's. I haven't tried it because
>>> I have no use for simple syrup. As I recall,
>>> it's cheap, hence there would be no reason
>>> to make it, if I had a need for such syrup.

>> I am floored! Something as simple as simple syrup is being sold in a bottle?
>>
>> Forgive me for not understanding who is so cooking impaired that they
>> can't measure 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water, put it in a pot or even
>> in the microwave and bring it to a boil? If one wants to get really
>> fancy, use bottles water.
>>
>> I guess some folks will pay for anything.

> Many people pay perfectly good money for water in a bottle! Whatta
> scam people bought into with that one!!

Some people live in areas where the tap water tastes awful. Ours is
pretty undrinkable. We got an RO system installed so we could have
drinking and cooking water that didn't taste like crap.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> I guess some folks will pay for anything.

>> Many people pay perfectly good money for water in a bottle! Whatta
>> scam people bought into with that one!!

> Some people live in areas where the tap water tastes awful. Ours is
> pretty undrinkable. We got an RO system installed so we could have
> drinking and cooking water that didn't taste like crap.

I don't doubt that there are lots of places with unsavoury water, but I
know lots of people around here whose town water is excellent and they
still buy bottled water. I admit to buying the occasional bottle of
water, but I do it primarily to get the bottle, and then refill it with
tap water. And I do mean occasional..... two this year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> >> Many people pay perfectly good money for water in a bottle! Whatta
> >> scam people bought into with that one!!

> > Some people live in areas where the tap water tastes awful. Ours is
> > pretty undrinkable. We got an RO system installed so we could have
> > drinking and cooking water that didn't taste like crap.

> I don't doubt that there are lots of places with unsavoury water, but I
> know lots of people around here whose town water is excellent and they
> still buy bottled water. I admit to buying the occasional bottle of
> water, but I do it primarily to get the bottle, and then refill it with
> tap water. And I do mean occasional..... two this year.

I use tap water for cooking but for drinking, we purchase filtered water
from the grocery store vending machines for $.30 per gallon and re-use
our glass jugs.

It tastes better.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I use tap water for cooking but for drinking, we purchase filtered water
> from the grocery store vending machines for $.30 per gallon and re-use
> our glass jugs.
>
> It tastes better.

That makes a lot more sense than buying cases of 12 oz bottles that end
up filling landfill sites or as roadway litter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> If you want to a really disgusting Mojito, Buy a bottle of of the
> pre-made stuff. It is truly awful.

ANY pre-made cocktail with citrus is horrible, so is most bar mix.

I have given up drinking Margaritas in public places. Mimi
Hiller's recipe (with fresh lime and lime zest, macerated and
strained) is the only one I'll drink these days. In a Mexican
restaurant I'd much rather have dark beer than ant of that nasty
bitter fake lime stuff.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> I use tap water for cooking but for drinking, we purchase filtered
>> water from the grocery store vending machines for $.30 per gallon and
>> re-use our glass jugs.
>>
>> It tastes better.

> That makes a lot more sense than buying cases of 12 oz bottles that end
> up filling landfill sites or as roadway litter.

And make the water taste like plastic. I used to get a lovely blue,
teardrop shaped glass bottle of imported water, that i bought for the
bottle, the water was fine but i don't particularly recall it.

I had intended to make a southern "bottle tree" with them, purely for
decorative purposes (no plastic gallon milk jugs full of water on my
lawn or clear plastic bags of water hanging from my ceiling but
several years ago i stopped going to the part of town i could get it at
and now i cant find it any where.

So now im thinking of gluing them all together in as close to a sphere
as i can get and try to wire it so that i could have a tiny light in
each bottle, preferably on a dimmer switch, to hang somewhere.
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> I use tap water for cooking but for drinking, we purchase filtered
>>> water from the grocery store vending machines for $.30 per gallon and
>>> re-use our glass jugs.
>>>
>>> It tastes better.

>> That makes a lot more sense than buying cases of 12 oz bottles that
>> end up filling landfill sites or as roadway litter.

> And make the water taste like plastic. I used to get a lovely blue,
> teardrop shaped glass bottle of imported water, that i bought for the
> bottle, the water was fine but i don't particularly recall it.
>
> I had intended to make a southern "bottle tree" with them, purely for
> decorative purposes (no plastic gallon milk jugs full of water on my
> lawn or clear plastic bags of water hanging from my ceiling but
> several years ago i stopped going to the part of town i could get it at
> and now i cant find it any where.
>
> So now im thinking of gluing them all together in as close to a sphere
> as i can get and try to wire it so that i could have a tiny light in
> each bottle, preferably on a dimmer switch, to hang somewhere.

All that and i went and forgot why i even opened this thread.

I have made a simple sugar syrup with rose petals. This was used to
make rose ice cream with, but there was enough left over, to use as an
experiment in a vodka martini. Best vodka martini i ever had!. Tints
it a bit pink though. I suspect the same flavor would come through with
white roses or even yellow for that matter.
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Many people pay perfectly good money for water in a bottle! Whatta
>>> scam people bought into with that one!!

>> Some people live in areas where the tap water tastes awful. Ours is
>> pretty undrinkable. We got an RO system installed so we could have
>> drinking and cooking water that didn't taste like crap.

> I don't doubt that there are lots of places with unsavoury water, but I
> know lots of people around here whose town water is excellent and they
> still buy bottled water. I admit to buying the occasional bottle of
> water, but I do it primarily to get the bottle, and then refill it with
> tap water. And I do mean occasional..... two this year.

It isn't supposed to be very healthy to reuse those plastic bottles more
than once or twice.

I got a metal one for less than $5 at Marshalls. That's the one I take
to Yoga and the gym

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> I use tap water for cooking but for drinking, we purchase filtered
>> water from the grocery store vending machines for $.30 per gallon and
>> re-use our glass jugs.
>>
>> It tastes better.

> That makes a lot more sense than buying cases of 12 oz bottles that end
> up filling landfill sites or as roadway litter.

You can take them to the recycling center, you know.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> I use tap water for cooking but for drinking, we purchase filtered
>>> water from the grocery store vending machines for $.30 per gallon and
>>> re-use our glass jugs.
>>>
>>> It tastes better.

>> That makes a lot more sense than buying cases of 12 oz bottles that
>> end up filling landfill sites or as roadway litter.

> You can take them to the recycling center, you know.

I do recycle my own, but I am not walking down the streets and sidewalks
picking up the plastic bottles that other people have jettisoned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine replied to Gloria:

>> I have given up drinking Margaritas in public places. Mimi
>> Hiller's recipe (with fresh lime and lime zest, macerated and
>> strained) is the only one I'll drink these days. In a Mexican
>> restaurant I'd much rather have dark beer than ant of that nasty
>> bitter fake lime stuff.
>>

> Mimi's recipe? That's Kay Hartman's recipe....

Since it looks like I'm going to get home too late to participate in the
cookalong (9 PM rather than 7 PM), I was contemplating making those
margaritas as a nod in that direction.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph wrote:

> And make the water taste like plastic. I used to get a lovely blue,
> teardrop shaped glass bottle of imported water, that i bought for the
> bottle, the water was fine but i don't particularly recall it.

I believe that would be Ty Nant water (from Wales).

The water itself has a very slight "mineral" taste which I liked, but not
enough to pay the outrageous prices I see attached to it now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Nant

Some of the gorgeous Ty Nant bottles:

http://www.springwater.nl/download/tynant_blue_0,75.jpg
http://www.springwater.nl/download/tynant_red_0,75.jpg
http://www.springwater.nl/download/tynant_pet_0,5.jpg

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 5:03*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > If you want to a really disgusting Mojito, *Buy a bottle of of the
> > pre-made stuff. It is truly awful.

> ANY pre-made cocktail with citrus is horrible, so is most bar mix.
>
> I have given up drinking Margaritas in public places. *Mimi
> Hiller's recipe (with fresh lime and lime zest, macerated and
> strained) is the only one I'll drink these days. In a Mexican
> restaurant I'd much rather have dark beer than ant of that nasty
> bitter fake lime stuff.

You can specify ingredients at the bar. I don't drink Kool-Aid margs
either. Rose's is a decent alternative to fresh squeezed lime and
simple syrup, which is how I used to make them back in my serious
drinking days.
For one of our camping trips I juiced 77 limes to fill a gallon jug.
It sucks that Cuisinart discontinued their nice citrus juicer:
http://www.cuisinart.com/discontinue...ssors/lpp.html
I bought a new Cuisinart so I can dedicate the LPP exclusively to
juicing.

> gloria p

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 04:15:50 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Christine replied to Gloria:
>
>>> I have given up drinking Margaritas in public places. Mimi
>>> Hiller's recipe (with fresh lime and lime zest, macerated and
>>> strained) is the only one I'll drink these days. In a Mexican
>>> restaurant I'd much rather have dark beer than ant of that nasty
>>> bitter fake lime stuff.
>>>

>> Mimi's recipe? That's Kay Hartman's recipe....

> Since it looks like I'm going to get home too late to participate in the
> cookalong (9 PM rather than 7 PM), I was contemplating making those
> margaritas as a nod in that direction.
>
> Bob

oh, shit. you may have given me an out to participating without cooking
something too difficult. if i make the whole recipe it might be a very
short day.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:03:36 -0600, Gloria P wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> If you want to a really disgusting Mojito, Buy a bottle of of the
>> pre-made stuff. It is truly awful.

> ANY pre-made cocktail with citrus is horrible, so is most bar mix.
>
> I have given up drinking Margaritas in public places. Mimi
> Hiller's recipe (with fresh lime and lime zest, macerated and
> strained) is the only one I'll drink these days. In a Mexican
> restaurant I'd much rather have dark beer than ant of that nasty
> bitter fake lime stuff.
>
> gloria p

maybe i don't have a refined palate, but the mexican places i've been to
have a decent margarita, even if i specify rail liquor and not some
specialty item. (it goes without saying, rocks, salt, not some slushy
number.) it would think they have the kitchen labor to squeeze any limes
necessary (they're gonna be there for the food anyway), and not rely on any
nasty bar mix.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote
> number.) it would think they have the kitchen labor to squeeze any limes
> necessary (they're gonna be there for the food anyway), and not rely on
> any
> nasty bar mix.

Not. They all use sour mix.

Would my own simple syrup sub OK for corn syrup? Kalmia General Cooking 8 02-04-2013 11:39 PM
Kinds of sugar for simple syrup Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 32 09-05-2010 12:43 PM
Simple syrup PhotoMan General Cooking 5 21-02-2004 12:18 PM
Simple syrup for baklava? Jonquil General Cooking 16 12-12-2003 06:58 AM
Simple Syrup William Frazier Winemaking 2 02-10-2003 01:27 AM