PhotoMan

Default Simple syrup

I boiled equal parts of water and sugar to the desired thickness, but after
cooling there is a precipitate of solidified sugar. How do I avoid this
condition?
TIA
Joe Arnold

Sandy n ne

I grew up working at my moms Dairy Queen, and we made simple syrup in 5 gallon
batches. The key is hot boiling water added to the sugar, then stir until your
arm feels ready to fall off, until all the sugar is dissolved. . You add cold
water to the sugar and try to bring it up to heat you get the crystalization
problem. I know we would mix 1-20 lb bag of sugar to 5 gallons of water.

Sandra
PhotoMan

"Sandy n ne" > wrote in message
> I grew up working at my moms Dairy Queen, and we made simple syrup in 5

gallon
> batches. The key is hot boiling water added to the sugar, then stir until

your
> arm feels ready to fall off, until all the sugar is dissolved. . You add

cold
> water to the sugar and try to bring it up to heat you get the

crystalization
> problem. I know we would mix 1-20 lb bag of sugar to 5 gallons of water.
>
> Sandra

Thank you Sandra! I'm making it (adding vanilla extract) to make milk shakes
and vanilla cokes.
Joe

The Joneses

PhotoMan wrote:

> I boiled equal parts of water and sugar to the desired thickness, but after
> cooling there is a precipitate of solidified sugar. How do I avoid this
> condition? TIA Joe Arnold

From the foodtv & a recipe for candied ginger, the deal is to add a tablespoon
or 4 (depending on the amount you make) of corn syrup to your simple syrup.
Corn syrup is a different kind of sugar (fructose?) and will help prevent the
sugar syrup (glucose?) from organizing into crystals. Not too terribly
scientific on my part, but there you go anyway.
Edrena

PhotoMan

Thanks folks - really 'preciate the help!
Joe

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> PhotoMan wrote:
>
> > I boiled equal parts of water and sugar to the desired thickness, but

after
> > cooling there is a precipitate of solidified sugar. How do I avoid this
> > condition? TIA Joe Arnold

> From the foodtv & a recipe for candied ginger, the deal is to add a

tablespoon
> or 4 (depending on the amount you make) of corn syrup to your simple

syrup.
> Corn syrup is a different kind of sugar (fructose?) and will help prevent

the
> sugar syrup (glucose?) from organizing into crystals. Not too terribly
> scientific on my part, but there you go anyway.
> Edrena

jmcquown

Sandy n ne wrote:
> I grew up working at my moms Dairy Queen, and we made simple syrup in
> 5 gallon batches. The key is hot boiling water added to the sugar,
> then stir until your arm feels ready to fall off, until all the sugar
> is dissolved. . You add cold water to the sugar and try to bring it
> up to heat you get the crystalization problem. I know we would mix
> 1-20 lb bag of sugar to 5 gallons of water.
>
> Sandra

Agreed, Sandra. I worked at an ice cream parlor when I was 17 years old; we
had to make simple syrup for the shakes and malts. HOT HOT HOT water and
STIR STIR STIR was the key

Jill