Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bananas...

Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.

I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
I thought I'd ask the group about this.

So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
>
> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
> they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
> sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
> the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
> I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>
> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

On a special banana holder on the kitchen counter. If they start turning
black they get tossed in the freezer and are used later to make banana
bread. When I say tossed, I mean just that, hide, hair, skin and all, no
wrapping, no sacks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

Fruit bowl on the counter
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:

>> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

> On a special banana holder on the kitchen counter. If they start
> turning black they get tossed in the freezer and are used later to
> make banana bread. When I say tossed, I mean just that, hide, hair,
> skin and all, no wrapping, no sacks.

I keep meaning to do that - but I have chickens in my back yard... They
just *love* overripe bananas and they produce lots of lovely fresh eggs
so I slice the bananas up (skin and all) and give it to them as a
treat.

As to where I store bananas; my kitchen has one of those elevated MW
shelves built-in with the rest of the cupboards. However, my MW is too
big to fit on said shelf, so it gets used as a fruit storage bay
instead. Hey, at least we found a good use for it.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote on Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:00:53 -0400:

>> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

>Fruit bowl on the counter

I buy my bananas light green in color and, after a day or two, they
become yellow with just a hint of green, which is how I like then in
cereal. It's a bit different from when the family was at home and tastes
ranged from mine to quite brown. As it is, once the bananas are to my
taste, I put them in the fridge and, even if the skin turns brown, the
fruit stays as I like it (if Chiquita Banana will allow it :-)
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:39:12 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
>
>I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
>they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
>sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
>the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
>I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>
>So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

Usually just out on the countertop. Bought nine bananas last week,
put 'em in a plastic bag so they'd ripen faster. Because I wanted to
make banana bread for the chem classes.

I discovered that a 4.5 qt Kitchenaid does not have enough room for
the batter of three loaves of banana bread. Oh well, arms were made
for a reason.

Everyone loved the product. And I pontificated:

"You can make this stuff. Lots of people say 'I can't cook'. But you
NOW CAN. In lab you've learned to measure things carefully and to
follow directions. For starts, that's what you do in cooking. Get
yourself a simple cookbook and start doing that. You'll have some
failures but you'll gain some insight along the way, and you'll learn
an incredibly valuable skill."

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:

>> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

> On a special banana holder on the kitchen counter. If they start
> turning black they get tossed in the freezer and are used later to
> make banana bread. When I say tossed, I mean just that, hide, hair,
> skin and all, no wrapping, no sacks.

Your bananas have hide and hair????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
>
> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
> they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
> sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
> the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
> I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>
> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

On the kitchen table on a banana hanger
--
Dimitri
Coming soon:

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
>
> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
> they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
> sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
> the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
> I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>
> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

We use one of those three-tiered-hanging baskets that's hung in our
kitchen. I keep the bananas, some other fruits, onions, and potatoes in
those. Helps to keep counter space free

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On the counter, until they begin to form spots, then I refrigerate them.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

>> On a special banana holder on the kitchen counter. If they start
>> turning black they get tossed in the freezer and are used later to
>> make banana bread. When I say tossed, I mean just that, hide, hair,
>> skin and all, no wrapping, no sacks.

> Your bananas have hide and hair????

I keep forgetting this is an international forum O. That's a southern US
saying when you mean the whole thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
>
> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
> they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
> sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
> the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
> I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>
> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

On the counter, in a fruit bowl.

But, the real question is, how do you EAT a banana.

My husband peels his his from the bottom not from the stem end. He
says that's the handle. Really.

Randomly, not too long ago, I overheard some students talking about
this very same thing, maybe it's a non US thing? He's from Morocco....

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> I keep forgetting this is an international forum O. That's a southern
> US saying when you mean the whole thing.

I knew that, George I am just teasing.. heck, you know me by now))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 16-Oct-2009, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Your bananas have hide and hair????
>>

> must be an heirloom variety 8-)

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about
> this.
>
> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found
> that they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and
> some sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea.
> Apparently the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps
> fine. Hmmm. So I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>
> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

I generally buy three bananas on the weekend, of differing levels of
green. I will bring them in my lunch on three days of the coming week.
They stay out on the counter until the night before when I make my
lunch, then the one going spends a night in the refrigerator, which has
little effect on it. At work I take in out in the morning and let it
return to room temp for eating.

Brian

--
Day 256 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

I buy only about three days worth, wash 'em well, then they repose in
a wooden fruitbowl on the counter. If I'm leaving town, I'll stick
any leftover bananas in the freezer and use in a shake later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 1:15*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:

> On the kitchen table on a banana hanger

What is the benefit of the hanger?

By the way, Debbie Meyer green bags do NOT appreciably lengthen their
life. Tried em in fridge and on counter - nada.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
>>
>> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
>> they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
>> sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
>> the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
>> I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>>
>> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

> On the counter, in a fruit bowl.
>
> But, the real question is, how do you EAT a banana.
>
> My husband peels his his from the bottom not from the stem end. He says
> that's the handle. Really.

Your husband is smart. Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJV56WUDng

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
>
> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
> they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
> sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
> the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
> I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>
> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

Fruit bowl.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Oct 16, 1:15 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:

> On the kitchen table on a banana hanger

What is the benefit of the hanger?

By the way, Debbie Meyer green bags do NOT appreciably lengthen their
life. Tried em in fridge and on counter - nada.

1. you can see how many Bananas you have at an instant.
2. The Bananas seem to not bruise
3. They stay at room temperature.
4. Hanging to me is their natural position.
5. It takes up less counter & fridge space.
6. The coloration of the bananas is visible.

7 I LIKE IT!

;-)

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:
http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee at Arabian Knits said...

> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> I keep meaning to do that - but I have chickens in my back yard... They
>> just *love* overripe bananas and they produce lots of lovely fresh eggs
>> so I slice the bananas up (skin and all) and give it to them as a
>> treat.

> This is good to know! We weren't sure if we could give it to them,
> so have been tossing them into the compost.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

There was a practice of spraying bananas with EDTA to retard the ripening
process so they wouldn't overripen before getting to market.

There was a great news story from decades ago about a truck transporting a
load of bananas but as the EDTA spray became airborne it increased the air
pressure inside the trailer, it finally exploded. Bananas and trailer parts
everywhere

EDTA is still used as a food additive so it's probably not going to blow up
any chickens!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:

> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> I keep meaning to do that - but I have chickens in my back yard...
>> They just *love* overripe bananas and they produce lots of lovely
>> fresh eggs so I slice the bananas up (skin and all) and give it to
>> them as a treat.

> This is good to know! We weren't sure if we could give it to them,
> so have been tossing them into the compost.

If you're not sure if the bananas were sprayed with any pesticides, may
I suggest you peel them before feeding any to your chickens. And like I
said - they get bananas as an occasional treat, not every day. But I
hope yours like it too

BTW, our chickens have always been allowed to roam around in their back
yard pen during the day to scratch around - and they'll eat almost
anything they can find there - like worms, grasshoppers, beetles, etc.
which has probably built up their immunity to 'germs'. Too funny to
watch them trying catch butterflies... A lot of people forget (or just
don't realize) that chickens are omnivores - ours have even scarfed wet
cat food (pouch stuff) that our cats turned their noses up when in
(extra) fussy mode. Hasn't done them any harm.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> "Tracy" > wrote in message
>>

>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
>>>
>>> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
>>> they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
>>> sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
>>> the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
>>> I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>>>
>>> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

>> On the counter, in a fruit bowl.
>>
>> But, the real question is, how do you EAT a banana.
>>
>> My husband peels his his from the bottom not from the stem end. He
>> says that's the handle. Really.

> Your husband is smart. Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJV56WUDng
>
> George L

Funny!

Tracy
(not showing that video to him either...)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
>
> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
> they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
> sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
> the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
> I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>
> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

On the counter. I don 't usually buy too many at one time so
they rarely get overripe. WHen they do, I make banana bread or
throw them away.

Life's too short to worry about overripe bananas!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

> On 16-Oct-2009, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
> > Your bananas have hide and hair????
> >

> must be an heirloom variety 8-)

Wild ones!

Reminds me of thing I read about a creationist who used the banana to
"prove" that evolution was bunk because such a perfect fruit as the
banana could never have evolved naturally. Well, he was right of
course, but for the wrong reason. The banana we know is the result of
thousands of years of cultivation.

Wild bananas look like:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Inside_a_wild-type_banana.jpg>

Small, pithy, and full of hard seeds.

Brian
--
Day 256 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in news:Ks0Cm.7655$f64.5610
@newsfe13.iad:

> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
>
> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
> they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
> sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
> the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
> I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>
> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

For the couple of days that they remain 'alive'....... they're in the fruit
bowl either on the kitchen bench, or on the dining table.

After that, they're stored in my belly :-)

As I'm the only one in the house that eats them (the SO says they smell and
taste like monkey vomit!!) I only buy a small hand at a time.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default wrote on 16 Oct 2009 20:36:42 GMT:

>> On 16-Oct-2009, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>
> >> Your bananas have hide and hair????
> >>

>> must be an heirloom variety 8-)

> Wild ones!

> Reminds me of thing I read about a creationist who used the
> banana to "prove" that evolution was bunk because such a
> perfect fruit as the banana could never have evolved
> naturally. Well, he was right of course, but for the wrong
> reason. The banana we know is the result of thousands of years
> of cultivation.

> Wild bananas look like:

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:In...-type_banana.j
> pg>

> Small, pithy, and full of hard seeds.

Careful, the monoclonal bananas that we eat are endangered simply
because they don't evolve easily. There are a variety of other bananas
available in tropical regions and they are not all small, pithy and
seedy. I nostalgically remember the red bananas I had in Hawaii.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Default wrote on 16 Oct 2009 20:36:42 GMT:

> > Wild bananas look like:

> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:In...-type_banana.j
> > pg>

> > Small, pithy, and full of hard seeds.

> Careful, the monoclonal bananas that we eat are endangered simply
> because they don't evolve easily. There are a variety of other
> bananas available in tropical regions and they are not all small,
> pithy and seedy. I nostalgically remember the red bananas I had in
> Hawaii.

Those aren't wild ones though, just different cultivars of domesticated
bananas. The ones we typically get (Cavendish) were bred to transport
well.

Brian

--
Day 256 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 12:53*pm, Tracy > wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
> > Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.

> > I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
> > they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
> > sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
> > the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
> > I thought I'd ask the group about this.

> > So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

> On the counter, in a fruit bowl.
>
> But, the real question is, how do you EAT a banana.
>
> My husband peels his his from the bottom not from the stem end. He
> says that's the handle. Really.
>
> Randomly, not too long ago, I overheard some students talking about
> this very same thing, maybe it's a non US thing? He's from Morocco....
>
> Tracy

He and they are right. Try it - it doesn't mangle the tip of the
banana and which is always ripest on the end opposite the stem!
Lynn in FArgo
Prefers bananas with smooth all yellow skin and a few "freckles" NOT
"brown spots" ie bruises.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 12:55*pm, "Default User" > wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
> > Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about
> > this.

> > I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found
> > that they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and
> > some sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea.
> > Apparently the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps
> > fine. Hmmm. So I thought I'd ask the group about this.

> > So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

> I generally buy three bananas on the weekend, of differing levels of
> green. I will bring them in my lunch on three days of the coming week.
> They stay out on the counter until the night before when I make my
> lunch, then the one going spends a night in the refrigerator, which has
> little effect on it. At work I take in out in the morning and let it
> return to room temp for eating.
>
> Brian
>
> --
> Day 256 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

THat makes sense to me - I do like the taste of cold bananas in milk
or cream with nutmeg.
Lynn in Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 3:54*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Default *wrote *on 16 Oct 2009 20:36:42 GMT:

> >> must be an heirloom variety *8-)

> > Wild ones!
> > Reminds me of thing I read about a creationist who used the
> > banana to "prove" that evolution was bunk because such a
> > perfect fruit as the banana could never have evolved
> > naturally. Well, he was right of course, but for the wrong
> > reason. The banana we know is the result of thousands of years
> > of cultivation.
> > Wild bananas look like:
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:In...-type_banana.j
> > pg>
> > Small, pithy, and full of hard seeds.

> Careful, the monoclonal bananas that we eat are endangered simply
> because they don't evolve easily. There are a variety of other bananas
> available in tropical regions and they are not all small, pithy and
> seedy. I nostalgically remember the red bananas I had in Hawaii.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Yes! The red ones and those teeny tiny finger bananas - marketed as
"baby bananas" here. I ate several different kinds of bananas in
Honduras. Bananas were safe if the skin wasn't broken and you peeled
them yourself. Bananas are soooooooooo good for you!
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.

> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

I just leave them at the store. They aren't edible anyway.

:-)

My wife keeps them in a wire basket with the other fruit, you know, the
kind that *are* edible. Hopefully she doesn't buy too many, since she
is about the only one who eats them. Once in a while, one of our kids
will eat one.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>Bananas are one of the very few fresh fruits that David will eat, and I like
>them quite a lot. I think we each eat at least 1 or 2 a day.

They are America's most popular fruit.

It's too bad they're all clones (even the "baby bananas" sold
around here are the same clone. You get into the tropics
and you see much more banana variety.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Fri 16 Oct 2009 09:11:03p, Steve Pope told us...

>> It's too bad they're all clones (even the "baby bananas" sold
>> around here are the same clone. You get into the tropics
>> and you see much more banana variety.

>Are even the red bananas "clones"?

Not sure if they're the same clone as the standard (Cavendish),
I'm guessing not unless the redness comes from a mineral
additive or something.

But, they do not have the flavor, nor really the same appearance,
as a red banana from a farmer's market in Hawaii.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>When we lived in Ohio I almost always managed to buy locally grown apples
>of several varieties as they had much more flavor. Here in Arizona many
>stone fruits and citrus fruits are grown locally and are very flavorful.
>Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever seen a locally grown apple.

Yeah, that would something of a stretch.

I remember seeing an old, disused apple orchard in some
deserted high country in Utah, just north of the Arizona line.
It was probably a century old. So maybe it's possible.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
>
> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
> they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
> sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
> the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
> I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>
> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

In a fruit bowl on the table. We just never buy more than can be used in
a week.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry > wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:39:12 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
> >Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
> >
> >I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
> >they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
> >sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
> >the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
> >I thought I'd ask the group about this.
> >
> >So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

> Usually just out on the countertop. Bought nine bananas last week,
> put 'em in a plastic bag so they'd ripen faster. Because I wanted to
> make banana bread for the chem classes.
>
> I discovered that a 4.5 qt Kitchenaid does not have enough room for
> the batter of three loaves of banana bread. Oh well, arms were made
> for a reason.
>
> Everyone loved the product. And I pontificated:
>
> "You can make this stuff. Lots of people say 'I can't cook'. But you
> NOW CAN. In lab you've learned to measure things carefully and to
> follow directions. For starts, that's what you do in cooking. Get
> yourself a simple cookbook and start doing that. You'll have some
> failures but you'll gain some insight along the way, and you'll learn
> an incredibly valuable skill."
>
> Best -- Terry

I like that. :-) Well done!

Next time someone at work says "I can't cook", I'll have to borrow that
philosophy. <g> I work in a Hospital Lab.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
> >
> > Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
> >
> > I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
> > they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
> > sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
> > the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
> > I thought I'd ask the group about this.
> >
> > So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> We use one of those three-tiered-hanging baskets that's hung in our
> kitchen. I keep the bananas, some other fruits, onions, and potatoes in
> those. Helps to keep counter space free
>
> Sky

I've been thinking of getting me one of those!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"George Leppla" > wrote:

> "Tracy" > wrote in message
> >

> > ChattyCathy wrote:
> >> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
> >>
> >> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
> >> they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
> >> sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
> >> the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
> >> I thought I'd ask the group about this.
> >>
> >> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

> > On the counter, in a fruit bowl.
> >
> > But, the real question is, how do you EAT a banana.
> >
> > My husband peels his his from the bottom not from the stem end. He says
> > that's the handle. Really.

> Your husband is smart. Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJV56WUDng
>
> George L

I'll have to show that to dad. :-) We keep a small paring knife in the
fruit bowl just for starting bananas from the stem end.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> ChattyCathy > news:Ks0Cm.7655$f64.5610
> @newsfe13.iad: in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Something Michael mentioned in another thread made me think about this.
>>
>> I've don't keep my bananas in the fridge, because I've always found that
>> they go 'yukky' far too quickly... So I did some googling and some
>> sources say that if they're still green it's not a bad idea. Apparently
>> the skin will still blacken, but the fruit itself keeps fine. Hmmm. So
>> I thought I'd ask the group about this.
>>
>> So where do you store your bananas? Fridge, cupboard or what?

> In a bowl expressly used for bananas only. I just read George's reply and
> like the idea of freezing them when they start to turn black. Who knew!!
>
> Michael

I learned this from a Washington State friend when we were all working
in Saudi Arabia. Was looking after their house while they were home on
leave and found the nanners in the freezer, rather startling at the
time. Once I adopted the habit it became a natural thing to do. Hey,
they're already wrapped. When you thaw them they almost liquefy. If you
use them in a yeast bread be sure to cut back on the yeast or the bread
will rise very high.

Bananas Margaret Suran General Cooking 5 04-09-2006 03:43 PM
Bananas Edwin Pawlowski General Cooking 0 04-09-2006 05:28 AM
Bananas LadyJane General Cooking 3 04-09-2006 01:39 AM
Bananas Tara General Cooking 0 04-09-2006 12:19 AM
Bananas William Frazier Winemaking 9 02-12-2003 01:15 AM