Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bananas

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> OMG... Steven walked in with close to 20 pounds of bananas. He found them
> on sale for 28 cents a pound. I'll be making a banana cream pie tonight
> (frozen pie crust will be used... of course). I'm gonna melt some
> chocolate in a double broiler, stick a stick in the nanners and dunk 'em.
> Then I'll freeze 'em. When some of them get ripened I'll make banana bread
> and hand a few loaves out to the neighbors. Sheesh... They take up 1/2 the
> counter space.

Here is a recipe for Buttermilk Banana Bread

1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar (or less, by taste)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract (do NOT use artificial flavor)
1/2 teaspoon Orange extract (do NOT use artificial flavor)
1/2 teaspoon Banana extract (do NOT use artificial
flavor)
grated orange rind from one orange
4 or 5 large, very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup buttermilk , you may use sweet milk with a few drops of lemon
juice to sour it
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins
1 cup chocolate chips

Combine flour, soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, eggs, extracts and
orange peel. Mix well, about a minute with electric beater, two to
three minutes if beaten with wooden spoon.
Stir in bananas and buttermilk
Add flour mixture and mix just until well combined.
Add the nuts, raisins and chocolate chips.

Fill two prepared. greased loaf pans. They will be a
little more than half full.

Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven for about one hour. Test for
doneness with wooden toothpick or by touch. When done, the toothpick,
when inserted in the middle of the loaf should come out dry and the
bread, when lightly pressed, should spring back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Margaret Suran >
> k.net:
>

>>Here is a recipe for Buttermilk Banana Bread

> <recipe snipped and saved>
>
> Why thanks Margaret. I like raisins right out of the box. For some reason
> I don't care much for them in muffins, breads etc. Can I omit them without
> altering the taste of the recipe too much?
>
> Michael

You can substitute dried Cranberries or dried Cherries or most any
other dried berries or fruits that are similar in size and consistency
as raisins. You can try to omit them, but I have no idea whether the
bread would be the same.

Don't make this bread. I sent the recipe because I didn't want to
look up the words to "Yes, We Have No Bananas" and I wanted to send
you something that pertained to your windfall. )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael, Here is a song for you:

YES! WE HAVE NO BANANAS
by Frank Silver and Irving Cohn (Ritzelle also credited on some issues)

There's a fruit store on our street
It's run by a Greek.
And he keeps good things to eat
But you should hear him speak!
When you ask him anything, he never answers "no".
He just "yes"es you to death, and as he takes your dough
He tells you
"Yes, we have no bananas
We have-a no bananas today.
We've string beans, and onions
Cabashes, and scallions,
And all sorts of fruit and say
We have an old fashioned tomato
A Long Island potato
But yes, we have no bananas.
We have no bananas today."

Business got so good for him that he wrote home today,
"Send me Pete and Nick and Jim; I need help right away."
When he got them in the store, there was fun, you bet.
Someone asked for "sparrow grass" and then the whole quartet
All answered
"Yes, we have no bananas
We have-a no bananas today.
Just try those coconuts
Those wall-nuts and doughnuts
There ain't many nuts like they.
We'll sell you two kinds of red herring,
Dark brown, and ball-bearing.
But yes, we have no bananas
We have no bananas today."

The new English "clark":
Yes, we are very sorry to inform you
That we are entirely out of the fruit in question
The afore-mentioned vegetable
Bearing the cognomen "Banana".
We might induce you to accept a substitute less desirable,
But that is not the policy at this internationally famous
green grocery.
I should say not. No no no no no no no.
But may we suggest that you sample our five o'clock tea
Which we feel certain will tempt your pallet?
However we regret that after a diligent search
Of the premises
By our entire staff
We can positively affirm without fear of contradiction
That our raspberries are delicious; really delicious
Very delicious
But we have no bananas today.

Yes, we gotta no banana
No banana
We gotta no banana today.
I sella you no banana.
Hey, Mary Anna, you gotta no banana?
Why this man, he no believe-a what I say.
Now whatta you want mister?
You wanna buy twelve for a quarter?
Yes, a quarter.
Well, just one look, I'm gonna call for my daughter.
Hey, Mary Anna
You gotta piana
Yes, banana, no
No, yes, no bananas today
We gotta no bananas.
Yes, we gotta no bananas today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote on 04 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> You can substitute dried Cranberries or dried Cherries or most any
> other dried berries or fruits that are similar in size and consistency
> as raisins. You can try to omit them, but I have no idea whether the
> bread would be the same.

Soaking the dried fruit in brandy does away with cooked raisin troubles...I
too disliked cooked raisins until I tried them soaked in brandy before
cooking them.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan wrote:

> Soaking the dried fruit in brandy does away with cooked raisin
> troubles...I too disliked cooked raisins until I tried them soaked in
> brandy before cooking them.

Try soaking them in brandy INSTEAD of cooking them.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Alan wrote:
>
> > Soaking the dried fruit in brandy does away with cooked raisin
> > troubles...I too disliked cooked raisins until I tried them soaked in
> > brandy before cooking them.

> Try soaking them in brandy INSTEAD of cooking them.

Then what ?
:-)

Bananas LadyJane General Cooking 5 04-09-2006 04:17 PM
Bananas Edwin Pawlowski General Cooking 0 04-09-2006 05:28 AM
Bananas LadyJane General Cooking 3 04-09-2006 01:39 AM
Bananas Tara General Cooking 0 04-09-2006 12:19 AM
Bananas William Frazier Winemaking 9 02-12-2003 01:15 AM