Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Amish Friendship Bread Question

I am hoping that someone here is familiar with using the Amish
Friendship Bread Starter to make the cake-like breads. My question
comes about because at the beginning of the Starter use instruction
there is warning to not use metal dishes or metal utensils.

I imagine there may be reason during the ten day process of "mushing"
the starter for five, adding the milk, flour and sugar on day six,
mushing more days to then add milk, flour and sugar again on day ten
to remove four starters. But what about this tenth day of adding all
the other ingredients to bake just "your own" two loaves? Is it okay
to use my KA Mixer's metal bowl and flat blade at that point, being
only for two loaves immediately baked?

....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 19:13:41 -0700 (PDT), PickyJaz > wrote:

-->I am hoping that someone here is familiar with using the Amish
-->Friendship Bread Starter to make the cake-like breads. My question
-->comes about because at the beginning of the Starter use instruction
-->there is warning to not use metal dishes or metal utensils.
-->
-->I imagine there may be reason during the ten day process of "mushing"
-->the starter for five, adding the milk, flour and sugar on day six,
-->mushing more days to then add milk, flour and sugar again on day ten
-->to remove four starters. But what about this tenth day of adding all
-->the other ingredients to bake just "your own" two loaves? Is it okay
-->to use my KA Mixer's metal bowl and flat blade at that point, being
-->only for two loaves immediately baked?
-->
-->...Picky

Use wooden spoons or plastic, and put the starter in a large ziplock ( you
usually get it that way...I always gave it in one.
No on the KA bowl, glass only. I used to make five batches, kept one and gave
two away, then I had two to make the bread or buns... loved the cinnamon
bread... thick sliced with butter and raspberry jam.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> I am hoping that someone here is familiar with using the Amish
> Friendship Bread Starter to make the cake-like breads. My question
> comes about because at the beginning of the Starter use instruction
> there is warning to not use metal dishes or metal utensils.
>
> I imagine there may be reason during the ten day process of "mushing"
> the starter for five, adding the milk, flour and sugar on day six,
> mushing more days to then add milk, flour and sugar again on day ten
> to remove four starters. But what about this tenth day of adding all
> the other ingredients to bake just "your own" two loaves? Is it okay
> to use my KA Mixer's metal bowl and flat blade at that point, being
> only for two loaves immediately baked?
>
> ...Picky

It's stainless steel. Of course it's OK.

Some people just like making up lots of extra rules for things that
should be simple (be glad you never played Canasta with my grandmother.)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:37:12 -0500, zxcvbob > wrote:

-->PickyJaz wrote:
-->> I am hoping that someone here is familiar with using the Amish
-->> Friendship Bread Starter to make the cake-like breads. My question
-->> comes about because at the beginning of the Starter use instruction
-->> there is warning to not use metal dishes or metal utensils.
-->>
[...]

There's a reason the directions say no metal, but then you never one to follow
directions were you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

-->-->PickyJaz wrote:
-->-->> I am hoping that someone here is familiar with using the Amish
-->-->> Friendship Bread Starter to make the cake-like breads. My question
-->-->> comes about because at the beginning of the Starter use instruction
-->-->> there is warning to not use metal dishes or metal utensils.
-->-->>
-->-->> I imagine there may be reason during the ten day process of "mushing"
-->-->> the starter for five, adding the milk, flour and sugar on day six,
-->-->> mushing more days to then add milk, flour and sugar again on day ten
-->-->> to remove four starters. But what about this tenth day of adding all
-->-->> the other ingredients to bake just "your own" two loaves? Is it okay
-->-->> to use my KA Mixer's metal bowl and flat blade at that point, being
-->-->> only for two loaves immediately baked?
-->-->>
-->-->> ...Picky
-->-->
-->-->
-->-->It's stainless steel. Of course it's OK.
-->-->
-->-->Some people just like making up lots of extra rules for things that
-->-->should be simple (be glad you never played Canasta with my grandmother.)
-->-->
-->-->Bob
-->
-->There's a reason the directions say no metal, but then you never one to
follow directions were you?

PickyJaz ...

Here's the link to the recipe for the starter and directions for feeding it
that we used.There are a great deal of recipes in which you can use the starter
in as well.
http://www.armchair.com/recipe/bake002.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

< Stu > wrote:

> Use wooden spoons or plastic, and put the starter in a large ziplock ( you
> usually get it that way...I always gave it in one.
> No on the KA bowl, glass only. I used to make five batches, kept one and gave
> two away, then I had two to make the bread or buns... loved the cinnamon
> bread... thick sliced with butter and raspberry jam.

Why not metal? I can understand no aluminum, but why would a few
minutes in a stainless steel bowl be harmful?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 10:29:35 -0600, Gloria P > wrote:

-->< Stu > wrote:
-->
-->>
-->> Use wooden spoons or plastic, and put the starter in a large ziplock ( you
-->> usually get it that way...I always gave it in one.
-->> No on the KA bowl, glass only. I used to make five batches, kept one and
gave
-->> two away, then I had two to make the bread or buns... loved the cinnamon
-->> bread... thick sliced with butter and raspberry jam.
-->
-->
-->
-->Why not metal? I can understand no aluminum, but why would a few
-->minutes in a stainless steel bowl be harmful?
-->
-->gloria p

Not sure...it's quite clear, no metal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Amish Friendship Bread Question---Sheldon

On Oct 7, 9:36*am, "< Stu >" > wrote:
> Not sure...it's quite clear, no metal.

Okay, rule follower, but why?

Where's Sheldon, the often detail finder I enjoy seeing here???
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> -->> Not sure...it's quite clear, no metal.
> -->Okay, rule follower, but why?
> -->
> -->Where's Sheldon, the often detail finder I enjoy seeing here???
> -->...Picky
>
> Shouldn't of asked if you didn't want the answer.

Did you really think "I don't know" answered the question adequately?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 7, 4:19*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Stu wrote:
> > -->> Not sure...it's quite clear, no metal.
> > -->Okay, rule follower, but why?
> > -->
> > -->Where's Sheldon, the often detail finder I enjoy seeing here???
> > -->...Picky

> > Shouldn't of asked if you didn't want the answer.

> Did you really think "I don't know" answered the question adequately?
>
> Bob

Thank you for the most helpful comments directed to my questions.
I've just learned through the Baker's Hotline at KA Flour that the two
Bakers I was talking with both use metal utensils and a metal bowl for
mixing the final, to immediately be baked ingredients. This is on the
tenth day after all Starter amounts have been bagged and you are
adding more ingredients to just the one Starter batch for baking.

Using any metal in the beginning pre-baking Starter mixes may cause a
bad reaction to the yeast, which there is no concern for on the final
ingredient additions day and immediate baking.

....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz said...

> On Oct 7, 4:19*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:
>> Stu wrote:
>> > -->> Not sure...it's quite clear, no metal.
>> > -->Okay, rule follower, but why?
>> > -->
>> > -->Where's Sheldon, the often detail finder I enjoy seeing here???
>> > -->...Picky

>> > Shouldn't of asked if you didn't want the answer.

>> Did you really think "I don't know" answered the question adequately?
>>
>> Bob

> Thank you for the most helpful comments directed to my questions.
> I've just learned through the Baker's Hotline at KA Flour that the two
> Bakers I was talking with both use metal utensils and a metal bowl for
> mixing the final, to immediately be baked ingredients. This is on the
> tenth day after all Starter amounts have been bagged and you are
> adding more ingredients to just the one Starter batch for baking.
>
> Using any metal in the beginning pre-baking Starter mixes may cause a
> bad reaction to the yeast, which there is no concern for on the final
> ingredient additions day and immediate baking.
>
> ...Picky

After the mention of metal in this thread, I was guessing that's why my
focaccia always failed in the KA stand mixer. So I went to KA's website and
lo and behold, they have a 90th anniversary stand mixer with a 5-quart
glass bowl.

Reading the KA forum, the glass bowl is purported to be available
separately for the Artisan stand mixers by years end or early 2010.

It will certainly add some weight in handling but between the handle and
the opposing pour spout, it should be safely and easily manageable with two
hands, even for those with weak arms or wrists.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 7, 5:34*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Reading the KA forum, the glass bowl is purported to be available
> separately for the Artisan stand mixers by years end or early 2010.
>
> It will certainly add some weight in handling but between the handle and
> the opposing pour spout, it should be safely and easily manageable with two
> hands, even for those with weak arms or wrists.

Thank you for this info, Andy. I will certainly be one on watch for
this KA glass bowl release!
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz said...

> On Oct 7, 5:34*pm, Andy > wrote:
>> Reading the KA forum, the glass bowl is purported to be available
>> separately for the Artisan stand mixers by years end or early 2010.
>>
>> It will certainly add some weight in handling but between the handle and
>> the opposing pour spout, it should be safely and easily manageable with t

> wo
>> hands, even for those with weak arms or wrists.

> Thank you for this info, Andy. I will certainly be one on watch for
> this KA glass bowl release!
> ...Picky

Welcome!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu non-contributed:

> -->> -->> Not sure...it's quite clear, no metal.
> -->> -->Okay, rule follower, but why?
> -->> -->
> -->> -->Where's Sheldon, the often detail finder I enjoy seeing here???
> -->> -->...Picky
> -->>
> -->> Shouldn't of asked if you didn't want the answer.
> -->
> -->Did you really think "I don't know" answered the question adequately?
> -->
>
> There's a Reason that the recipe says no metal. What do you think it might
> be
> Bob?

Let's recap, so it can be clear what a stupid bitch you a

PickyJaz asked "Why no metal?"

You responded, "I don't know. It says no metal."

PickyJaz wrote, "Why?"

You responded, "Shouldn't of [sic] asked if you didn't want the answer."

She *did* want the answer. You didn't give her one. Instead, you sulked like
a snotty-nosed toddler.

Fortunately, she was able to get the answer from someone who knows more
about the recipes on *your* web site than you do.

Take some responsibility, loser!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger said...

> Stu non-contributed:
>
>> -->> -->> Not sure...it's quite clear, no metal.
>> -->> -->Okay, rule follower, but why?
>> -->> -->
>> -->> -->Where's Sheldon, the often detail finder I enjoy seeing here???
>> -->> -->...Picky
>> -->>
>> -->> Shouldn't of asked if you didn't want the answer.
>> -->
>> -->Did you really think "I don't know" answered the question
>> adequately? -->
>>
>> There's a Reason that the recipe says no metal. What do you think it
>> might be
>> Bob?

> Let's recap, so it can be clear what a stupid bitch you a
>
> PickyJaz asked "Why no metal?"
>
> You responded, "I don't know. It says no metal."
>
> PickyJaz wrote, "Why?"
>
> You responded, "Shouldn't of [sic] asked if you didn't want the answer."
>

> She *did* want the answer. You didn't give her one. Instead, you sulked
> like a snotty-nosed toddler.
>
> Fortunately, she was able to get the answer from someone who knows more
> about the recipes on *your* web site than you do.
>
> Take some responsibility, loser!
>
> Bob

Terwilliger, more often than not the antagonist.

Sometimes you sound like a nut. Sometimes you don't.

YOU'RE WIFE HAS GOT TO BE VERY FORGIVING. OR STUPID.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OR PROBABLY JUST MONEY GRUBBING GREEDY right in front of your stupid sorry
eyes!

I paid off my ex-wife handsomely. I've been a happy man ever since!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I paid off my ex-wife handsomely. I've been a happy man ever since!!!

I'm sure she's a lot happier -- and wealthier --- now too, so it's a win-win
situation!

I love win-win situations.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> .....and he's showing ignorance, the recipe is not on my website, as usual
> he's put his mouth in gear without knowing the facts.

I apologize for that; you are correct that you did not cite your website.

You were a snotty little baby anyway, acting as if you had given an answer
and then complaining when someone pointed out that you had not.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:

> I've just learned through the Baker's Hotline at KA Flour that the two
> Bakers I was talking with both use metal utensils and a metal bowl for
> mixing the final, to immediately be baked ingredients. This is on the
> tenth day after all Starter amounts have been bagged and you are adding
> more ingredients to just the one Starter batch for baking.
>
> Using any metal in the beginning pre-baking Starter mixes may cause a bad
> reaction to the yeast, which there is no concern for on the final
> ingredient additions day and immediate baking.

The most famous food scientists of the day are Harold McGee and Shirley
Corriher; they'd be the sources to query. I haven't had a chance to delve
into what either of them have to say about it. If you can track down _On
Food and Cooking_ (by McGee) or _Bakewise_ (by Corriher) you might be able
to find an authoritative answer in those books.

I don't think it's a reaction to the yeast, because yeast does not react
with stainless steel. I know that for certain, because there are thousands
of successful recipes for yeast breads which are made using the steel blade
in a food processor. I have also made yeast breads using my Kitchenaid mixer
and its stainless steel bowl hundreds of times. I've never made the
particular bread you're making.

I think it *might* be that metal or plastic has tiny little holes which can
hold wild yeast, where a metal bowl might not. If that's not it, I really
think it might just be a superstition.

http://mysisterskitchen.wordpress.co...endship-bread/
contains this passage:

"First, the bit about not using a metal bowl or spoon? Horsefeathers. I
think this falls into the "mystique" division. I always mix this up in my
Kitchenaid METAL mixing bowl. The only metal things that I really avoid are
old aluminum utensils. Aluminum is reactive metal. I haven't personally seen
this recipe react with aluminum, but I avoid it nonetheless. I suspect that
the worst that might happen is the batter would take on a grayish cast."

She has a point about aluminum, but you're using stainless steel, right? I'd
go ahead and use it. If you want to bust the myth, try making the bread both
ways, once in metal and once in plastic or wood.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu still wrote like a snotty little baby:

>> You were a snotty little baby anyway, acting as if you had given an
>> answer and then complaining when someone pointed out that you had not.

> The only place that might be true is in your small mind

No, what I quoted earlier makes it pretty clear that you were acting like a
snotty little baby. Allow me to refresh your memory:

"Why no metal?"

"I don't know."

"Does anybody know why no metal?"

"Shouldn't have asked if you didn't want an answer."

Yep, snotty little baby is what you are, and you did *not* give an answer to
the question.

> btw Bob get a proper hair cut and shave off that 1960's gottie.

You have no idea what my hair looks like, and WTF is a "gottie," you
illiterate know-nothing whiny piglet?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stu's continuing illiteracy was Amish Friendship Bread Question---Sheldon

Illiterate Stu FINALLY looked up the word "goatee":

>> You have no idea what my hair looks like, and WTF is a "gottie," you
>> illiterate know-nothing whiny piglet?

> Goatee - In the traditional taxonomy of facial hair, a goatee is a beard
> formed by a tuft of hair on the chin. The word probably originated from
> the tuft of hair seen on an adult goat.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goatee

See, that's right. But when it's attached to a mustache, it's no longer a
goatee. That is explained RIGHT THERE IN THE ARTICLE YOU CITED, dumbass!

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 4:56*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Illiterate Stu FINALLY looked up the word "goatee":
>
> >> You have no idea what my hair looks like, and WTF is a "gottie," you
> >> illiterate know-nothing whiny piglet?

> > Goatee *- In the traditional taxonomy of facial hair, a goatee is a beard
> > formed by a tuft of hair on the chin. The word probably originated from
> > the tuft of hair seen on an adult goat.

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goatee

> See, that's right. But when it's attached to a mustache, it's no longer a
> goatee. That is explained RIGHT THERE IN THE ARTICLE YOU CITED, dumbass!

The Amish would no doubt be saddened to learn that a discussion of
their Friendship Bread had led to strife on our little newsgroup.

> Bob

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan pointed out:

> The Amish would no doubt be saddened to learn that a discussion of their
> Friendship Bread had led to strife on our little newsgroup.

Maybe....or maybe NOT:

http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/J...i_janfeb05.msp

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 5:42*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Bryan pointed out:
>
> > The Amish would no doubt be saddened to learn that a discussion of their
> > Friendship Bread had led to strife on our little newsgroup.

> Maybe....or maybe NOT:
>
> http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/J...re_labi_janfeb...

Patriarchal cultures are all like that to one degree or another. Once
you let females start having choices about sexuality and reproduction,
the patriarchy begins to degenerate to the point where an almost
unthinkable concept like marital rape is countenanced.

> Bob

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bob Terwilligers beard

On Oct 9, 3:24*pm, Stu > wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 04:56:55 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
>
> > wrote:
>
> -->Illiterate Stu FINALLY looked up the word "goatee":
> -->
> -->>> You have no idea what my hair looks like, and WTF is a "gottie," you
> -->>> illiterate know-nothing whiny piglet?
> -->>
> -->> Goatee *- In the traditional taxonomy of facial hair, a goatee is a beard
> -->> formed by a tuft of hair on the chin. The word probably originated from
> -->> the tuft of hair seen on an adult goat.
> -->>
> -->>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goatee
> -->
> -->See, that's right. But when it's attached to a mustache, it's no longer a
> -->goatee. That is explained RIGHT THERE IN THE ARTICLE YOU CITED, dumbass!
> -->
> -->Bob
>
> Maybe it's a defiantly or not, but it's defiantly 1970's

"Defiantly"??? What verb or adjective is "defiantly" modifying?

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 17:45:33 -0700 (PDT), PickyJaz >
wrote:

>Thank you for this info, Andy. I will certainly be one on watch for
>this KA glass bowl release!

Be sure to post.... I'll get one each for DD and DIL.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 20:30:52 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>I think it *might* be that metal or plastic has tiny little holes which can
>hold wild yeast, where a metal bowl might not. If that's not it, I really
>think it might just be a superstition.

I wouldn't worry about wild yeast, but I would worry about some sort
of an unwanted interaction... which never entered my mind until that
dire warning.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 4:00*pm, Stu > wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 14:57:32 -0700 (PDT), Bryan > wrote:
>
> -->On Oct 9, 3:24*pm, Stu > wrote:
> -->> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 04:56:55 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> -->>-->> > wrote:
>
> -->>
> -->> -->Illiterate Stu FINALLY looked up the word "goatee":
> -->> -->
> -->> -->>> You have no idea what my hair looks like, and WTF is a "gottie," you
> -->> -->>> illiterate know-nothing whiny piglet?
> -->> -->>
> -->> -->> Goatee *- In the traditional taxonomy of facial hair, a goatee is a
> beard
> -->> -->> formed by a tuft of hair on the chin. The word probably originated
> from
> -->> -->> the tuft of hair seen on an adult goat.
> -->> -->>
> -->> -->>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goatee
> -->> -->
> -->> -->See, that's right. But when it's attached to a mustache, it's no longer
> -->> -->goatee. That is explained RIGHT THERE IN THE ARTICLE YOU CITED,
> dumbass!
> -->> -->
> -->> -->Bob
> -->>
> -->> Maybe it's a defiantly or not, but it's defiantly 1970's
> -->
> -->"Defiantly"??? *What verb or adjective is "defiantly" modifying?
> -->
> -->--Bryan
>
> MS word's spell check doesn't seem to be working so how about unequivocally or
> positively?

It's probably working, but defiantly IS a word, just the wrong word.
Why not just take the time and care to get words right yourself? If
you don't value or respect your own words enough to use them
carefully, how can you expect others to value what you write?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 20:30:52 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>> I think it *might* be that metal or plastic has tiny little holes which can
>> hold wild yeast, where a metal bowl might not. If that's not it, I really
>> think it might just be a superstition.

> I wouldn't worry about wild yeast, but I would worry about some sort
> of an unwanted interaction... which never entered my mind until that
> dire warning.

Wild yeast is everywhere. The starter will pick up wild yeast from the
spoon, the air, the water, the sugar, the flour...

Metal bowls are prohibited only during the time the starter is being
grown. When it's time to complete the recipe and make the bread, it's
okay to use your mixer's stainless steel bowl as well as the metal
beaters/paddle. The starter you reserve to grow your next batch, as well
as the starter you reserve to give away, should be stored in plastic or
glass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:44:38 -0600, Pennyaline >
wrote:

-->sf wrote:
-->> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 20:30:52 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
-->> > wrote:
-->>
[...]

XL ziplock works fine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 08:45:11 -0700 (PDT), --Bryan >
wrote:

>On Oct 9, 4:00*pm, Stu > wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 14:57:32 -0700 (PDT), Bryan > wrote:
>>
>> -->On Oct 9, 3:24*pm, Stu > wrote:
>> -->> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 04:56:55 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
>> -->>-->> > wrote:
>>
>> -->>
>> -->> -->Illiterate Stu FINALLY looked up the word "goatee":
>> -->> -->
>> -->> -->>> You have no idea what my hair looks like, and WTF is a "gottie," you
>> -->> -->>> illiterate know-nothing whiny piglet?
>> -->> -->>
>> -->> -->> Goatee *- In the traditional taxonomy of facial hair, a goatee is a
>> beard
>> -->> -->> formed by a tuft of hair on the chin. The word probably originated
>> from
>> -->> -->> the tuft of hair seen on an adult goat.
>> -->> -->>
>> -->> -->>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goatee
>> -->> -->
>> -->> -->See, that's right. But when it's attached to a mustache, it's no longer
>> -->> -->goatee. That is explained RIGHT THERE IN THE ARTICLE YOU CITED,
>> dumbass!
>> -->> -->
>> -->> -->Bob
>> -->>
>> -->> Maybe it's a defiantly or not, but it's defiantly 1970's
>> -->
>> -->"Defiantly"??? *What verb or adjective is "defiantly" modifying?
>> -->
>> -->--Bryan
>>
>> MS word's spell check doesn't seem to be working so how about unequivocally or
>> positively?

>It's probably working, but defiantly IS a word, just the wrong word.
>Why not just take the time and care to get words right yourself? If
>you don't value or respect your own words enough to use them
>carefully, how can you expect others to value what you write?
>
>--Bryan

HEY! Not everyone was born with the spelling gene.

There are words I constantly misspell, including that one (it's all in
how you pronounce it). Fortunately, my spellcheck catches it.