Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rec request: Bacon wrapped sea scallops

I've been googling and can't seem to find one that will work for me. I
don't have a broiler unless you count my oven that I can't master. I need
one that only requires searing on the stovetop or baking but I don't want to
over cook. Do you have a tried and true recipe that you can pass on? I'd
like to cook these scallops tonight and bring them to watch football
tomorrow, so something that can be cooked ahead and reheated the next day
would be good. Any such thing?

For something funny, here's one from kopycat.com with "melted wine and
butter marinade".

Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops

1 1/2 lbs. sea scallops
1/3 lb. bacon, cut slices in half
1/4 lb. butter, melted
1/2 C. dry white wine
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter and wine together, when melted add
paprika and seasoned salt. Drop scallops into melted wine and butter sauce.
Allow scallops to marinade for about 30 minutes. Wrap each scallop with
half piece of bacon, and fasten bacon with a toothpick. Place wrapped
scallops onto a baking pan, and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes, then
turn over and cook until done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 26, 4:13 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> I've been googling and can't seem to find one that will work for me. I
> don't have a broiler unless you count my oven that I can't master. I need
> one that only requires searing on the stovetop or baking but I don't want to
> over cook. Do you have a tried and true recipe that you can pass on? I'd
> like to cook these scallops tonight and bring them to watch football
> tomorrow, so something that can be cooked ahead and reheated the next day
> would be good. Any such thing?
> [snip]

Too late to help, but .... I don't think nicely seared scallops would
reheat well. If it were me I'd consider making a version of a steamed
dim sum type dumpling, using scallops and garlic chives and crumbled
bacon, a bit of garlic and ginger. Process the ingredients to a lumpy
paste, make dumplings with won ton skins the night before, steam them
tomorrow. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message

> Too late to help, but .... I don't think nicely seared scallops would
> reheat well. If it were me I'd consider making a version of a steamed
> dim sum type dumpling, using scallops and garlic chives and crumbled
> bacon, a bit of garlic and ginger. Process the ingredients to a lumpy
> paste, make dumplings with won ton skins the night before, steam them
> tomorrow.

Thanks. I don't have most of those ingredients. Oh well. I guess since I
want to do bacon wrapped scallops, I can't do them ahead. I haven't done
anything with them yet. Maybe I'll just do the pre-cook of the bacon, cool,
and wrap the scallops and take them that way. Finish the cooking there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 26, 9:14 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message

> > Too late to help, but .... I don't think nicely seared scallops would
> > reheat well. If it were me I'd consider making a version of a steamed
> > dim sum type dumpling, using scallops and garlic chives and crumbled
> > bacon, a bit of garlic and ginger. Process the ingredients to a lumpy
> > paste, make dumplings with won ton skins the night before, steam them
> > tomorrow.

> Thanks. I don't have most of those ingredients. Oh well. I guess since I
> want to do bacon wrapped scallops, I can't do them ahead. I haven't done
> anything with them yet. Maybe I'll just do the pre-cook of the bacon, cool,
> and wrap the scallops and take them that way. Finish the cooking there.

Not to be smartass, but it seems like you had the answer in the
question - wrap the scallop in bacon and bake or sear. Or sear and
bake.

How do you wrap with cooked bacon?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" > wrote in message

> Not to be smartass, but it seems like you had the answer in the
> question - wrap the scallop in bacon and bake or sear. Or sear and
> bake.
>
> How do you wrap with cooked bacon?

I had part of the answer. To cook the bacon to just start to render fat but
leave it floppy. I wondered if I could leave it that way and then finish
cooking the next day. But I didn't want a recipe to broil it because I
fail at that. I wanted to know if it would still be a good tasting scallop
to bake it the next day after it was wrapped with partially cooked bacon the
night before. Maybe I didn't word it right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
bulka > wrote:

> How do you wrap with cooked bacon?

I do this fairly often. Bacon takes a long time to cook, especially if
it isn't thin. Sometimes when you wrap bacon around something, that
something gets overcooked by the time the bacon is cooked to my liking.
So I cook the bacon, often in the microwave, until it is mostly cooked
but still pretty limp. It wraps easily around, but cooks pretty
quickly. I like to marinate whole canned water chestnuts in soy sauce,
and then wrap a little bacon around, secured by a toothpick. Cook in
the micrwave for a couple of minutes until the bacon is done. I also
like hot dogs stuffed with cheese. The hot dogs do OK, but by the time
uncooked bacon gets done, the cheese has melted, run out and has started
to burn. So, cut a slit in the hot dog, insert a thin stick of cheddar
cheese, and cover with half a bacon slice. Break toothpicks in two,
and secure bacon onto hot dogs (it tends to slide off without the
toothpicks). You can either bake or broil this. If baking, you don't
need to break the toothpicks, but if you broil, they tend to burn if
left whole. Serve with horseradish mustard (or regular yellow if you
don't like horseradish).

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> I've been googling and can't seem to find one that will work for me. I
> don't have a broiler unless you count my oven that I can't master. I need
> one that only requires searing on the stovetop or baking but I don't want
> to over cook. Do you have a tried and true recipe that you can pass on?
> I'd like to cook these scallops tonight and bring them to watch football
> tomorrow, so something that can be cooked ahead and reheated the next day
> would be good. Any such thing?
>
> For something funny, here's one from kopycat.com with "melted wine and
> butter marinade".
>

> Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops
>
> 1 1/2 lbs. sea scallops
> 1/3 lb. bacon, cut slices in half
> 1/4 lb. butter, melted
> 1/2 C. dry white wine
> 1 tbsp. lemon juice
> 1/2 tsp. paprika
> 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
>
> Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter and wine together, when melted
> add paprika and seasoned salt. Drop scallops into melted wine and butter
> sauce. Allow scallops to marinade for about 30 minutes. Wrap each scallop
> with half piece of bacon, and fasten bacon with a toothpick. Place
> wrapped scallops onto a baking pan, and bake in the oven for about 8
> minutes, then turn over and cook until done.

We make that dish now and then, and always, always, use proscuitto to wrap
the scallop. Then you grill the wrapped scallop on the non proscuitto
attached ends. It's excellent. The German proscuitto like raw ham at Trader
Joe's is excellent for this and it's reasonably priced.

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Theron said...

>> I'd like to cook these scallops tonight and bring them to watch football
>> tomorrow, so something that can be cooked ahead and reheated the next day
>> would be good. Any such thing?

That sounds chancy at best.

A pile of cooked chilled shrimp with cocktail sauce would be easier/tastier,
imho.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 27, 6:15*am, "Theron" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

> > I've been googling and can't seem to find one that will work for me. *I
> > don't have a broiler unless you count my oven that I can't master. *I need
> > one that only requires searing on the stovetop or baking but I don't want
> > to over cook. Do you have a tried and true recipe that you can pass on?
> > I'd like to cook these scallops tonight and bring them to watch football
> > tomorrow, so something that can be cooked ahead and reheated the next day
> > would be good. *Any such thing?

> > For something funny, here's one from kopycat.com with "melted wine and
> > butter marinade".

> > Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops

> > 1 1/2 lbs. sea scallops
> > 1/3 lb. bacon, cut slices in half
> > 1/4 lb. butter, melted
> > 1/2 C. dry white wine
> > 1 tbsp. lemon juice
> > 1/2 tsp. paprika
> > 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt

> > Preheat oven to 400 degrees. *Melt butter and wine together, when melted
> > add paprika and seasoned salt. *Drop scallops into melted wine and butter
> > sauce. Allow scallops to marinade for about 30 minutes. *Wrap each scallop
> > with half piece of bacon, and fasten bacon with a toothpick. *Place
> > wrapped scallops onto a baking pan, and bake in the oven for about 8
> > minutes, then turn over and cook until done.

> We make that dish now and then, and always, always, use proscuitto to wrap
> the scallop. Then you grill the wrapped scallop on the non proscuitto
> attached ends. It's excellent. The German proscuitto like raw ham at Trader
> Joe's is excellent for this and it's reasonably priced.

And leave out the seasoned salt. Geez, if that's not Bud Light tastes
on a Dom Perignon budget. Catsup on caviar anyone?

> Ed

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--Bryan said...

> And leave out the seasoned salt. Geez, if that's not Bud Light tastes
> on a Dom Perignon budget. Catsup on caviar anyone?

I HEARD THAT!!! <elbow>

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> I've been googling and can't seem to find one that will work for me. I
> don't have a broiler unless you count my oven that I can't master. I need
> one that only requires searing on the stovetop or baking but I don't want
> to over cook. Do you have a tried and true recipe that you can pass on?
> I'd like to cook these scallops tonight and bring them to watch football
> tomorrow, so something that can be cooked ahead and reheated the next day
> would be good. Any such thing?
>
> For something funny, here's one from kopycat.com with "melted wine and
> butter marinade".
>

> Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops

A small point: do scallops come from anywhere but the sea?
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ffred" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> I've been googling and can't seem to find one that will work for me. I
>> don't have a broiler unless you count my oven that I can't master. I
>> need one that only requires searing on the stovetop or baking but I don't
>> want to over cook. Do you have a tried and true recipe that you can pass
>> on? I'd like to cook these scallops tonight and bring them to watch
>> football tomorrow, so something that can be cooked ahead and reheated the
>> next day would be good. Any such thing?
>>
>> For something funny, here's one from kopycat.com with "melted wine and
>> butter marinade".
>>

>> Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops
>>

> A small point: do scallops come from anywhere but the sea?

hahahaha and... pan fried... whatever.... does anyone fry in other than a
pan....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ffred" > wrote in message
>> Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops
>>

> A small point: do scallops come from anywhere but the sea?
> Graham

Yes, that is why some are called bay scallops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "ffred" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> >> I've been googling and can't seem to find one that will work for me. I
> >> don't have a broiler unless you count my oven that I can't master. I
> >> need one that only requires searing on the stovetop or baking but I don't
> >> want to over cook. Do you have a tried and true recipe that you can pass
> >> on? I'd like to cook these scallops tonight and bring them to watch
> >> football tomorrow, so something that can be cooked ahead and reheated the
> >> next day would be good. Any such thing?
> >>
> >> For something funny, here's one from kopycat.com with "melted wine and
> >> butter marinade".
> >>

> >> Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops
> >>

> > A small point: do scallops come from anywhere but the sea?

> hahahaha and... pan fried... whatever.... does anyone fry in other than a
> pan....

Yes. Sometimes I deep fry in a pot.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "ffred" > wrote in message
>>> Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops
>>>

>> A small point: do scallops come from anywhere but the sea?
>> Graham

> Yes, that is why some are called bay scallops.

But is there much of a difference between them? After all, a bay can be
quite deep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ffred" > wrote in message

>>> A small point: do scallops come from anywhere but the sea?
>>> Graham

>> Yes, that is why some are called bay scallops.

> But is there much of a difference between them? After all, a bay can be
> quite deep.

Sea scallops are much larger than Bay scallops

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:

>> > A small point: do scallops come from anywhere but the sea?

>> hahahaha and... pan fried... whatever.... does anyone fry in other than
>> pan....

> Yes. Sometimes I deep fry in a pot.

pah! semantics You don't fry in a teapot do you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jenny" > wrote in message ...

> "ffred" > wrote in message

>>> Yes, that is why some are called bay scallops.

>> But is there much of a difference between them? After all, a bay can be
>> quite deep.
>>

> Sea scallops are much larger than Bay scallops

Sea scallops: Placopecten magellanicus
Bay scallops: Argopecten irradians

That sorts it out!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,

> >> hahahaha and... pan fried... whatever.... does anyone fry in other than
> >> pan....

> > Yes. Sometimes I deep fry in a pot.

> pah! semantics You don't fry in a teapot do you?

Might be fun to try. <g>

I'd have to use a fondue fork!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ffred" > wrote in message >>

>> Yes, that is why some are called bay scallops.

> But is there much of a difference between them? After all, a bay can be
> quite deep.

Sea scallops are about the size of a half dollar to more than a silver
dollar. Bay are usually between a dime and nickel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Yes. Sometimes I deep fry in a pot.

>> pah! semantics You don't fry in a teapot do you?

> Might be fun to try. <g>
>
> I'd have to use a fondue fork!
> --

Or tweezers?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> >> pah! semantics You don't fry in a teapot do you?

> > Might be fun to try. <g>
> >
> > I'd have to use a fondue fork!
> > --

> Or tweezers?

<snork> Only if they are really long! ;-D
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

>> > Might be fun to try. <g>
>> >
>> > I'd have to use a fondue fork!
>> > --

>> Or tweezers?

> <snork> Only if they are really long! ;-D

Yers... if you gotta get them through the spout..............

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news

> >> Or tweezers?

> > <snork> Only if they are really long! ;-D

> Yers... if you gotta get them through the spout..............

<laughs> That presents a picture!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ffred wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> I've been googling and can't seem to find one that will work for me.
>> I don't have a broiler unless you count my oven that I can't master.
>> I need one that only requires searing on the stovetop or baking but
>> I don't want to over cook. Do you have a tried and true recipe that
>> you can pass on? I'd like to cook these scallops tonight and bring
>> them to watch football tomorrow, so something that can be cooked
>> ahead and reheated the next day would be good. Any such thing?
>>
>> For something funny, here's one from kopycat.com with "melted wine
>> and butter marinade".
>>

>> Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops
>>

> A small point: do scallops come from anywhere but the sea?
> Graham

There are sea scallops (big and expensive) and there are bay scallops (small
and cheap). They're similar in every respect other than color, flavor and
texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"K" > wrote in message

> ffred wrote:
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>> I've been googling and can't seem to find one that will work for me.
>>> I don't have a broiler unless you count my oven that I can't master.
>>> I need one that only requires searing on the stovetop or baking but
>>> I don't want to over cook. Do you have a tried and true recipe that
>>> you can pass on? I'd like to cook these scallops tonight and bring
>>> them to watch football tomorrow, so something that can be cooked
>>> ahead and reheated the next day would be good. Any such thing?
>>>
>>> For something funny, here's one from kopycat.com with "melted wine
>>> and butter marinade".
>>>

>>> Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops
>>>

>> A small point: do scallops come from anywhere but the sea?
>> Graham

> There are sea scallops (big and expensive) and there are bay scallops
> (small and cheap). They're similar in every respect other than color,
> flavor and texture.

This is true. I much prefer bay scallops for their flavor and texture,
but I imagine I might be able to get a better texture in sea scallops by
slighly overcooking. Might work with wrapping in bacon and broiling in a
broiler pan, eg with drainage. I still like the idea of wrapping shrimp and
scallops, shrimp and oysters, scallops and oysters or all three in bacon and
broiling. Embrochette. heh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> This is true. I much prefer bay scallops for their flavor and texture,
> but I imagine I might be able to get a better texture in sea scallops by
> slighly overcooking.

Around here I cannot find dry pack bay scallops so I don't even try to do
anything with the waterlogged tidbits. They may be OK in a soup or chowder
though. I can get good sea scallops though, but at $12 to $20 a pound.. I
like them seared in butter and then I make a simple butter/orange sauce for
them.

The water added sea scallops are cheaper, but you cannot get a sear on them
and the flavor is not as intense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> This is true. I much prefer bay scallops for their flavor and texture,
>> but I imagine I might be able to get a better texture in sea scallops by
>> slighly overcooking.

> Around here I cannot find dry pack bay scallops so I don't even try to do
> anything with the waterlogged tidbits. They may be OK in a soup or
> chowder though. I can get good sea scallops though, but at $12 to $20 a
> pound.. I like them seared in butter and then I make a simple
> butter/orange sauce for them.
>
> The water added sea scallops are cheaper, but you cannot get a sear on
> them and the flavor is not as intense.

I am not sure I have ever seen dry pack sea scallops. Now I want to try
them. I do dislike the wateriness of the ones I get. I saute them on high
in butter, pour off as much water as I can after maybe 40 seconds then
finish them with fresh garlic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> I am not sure I have ever seen dry pack sea scallops. Now I want to try
> them. I do dislike the wateriness of the ones I get. I saute them on high
> in butter, pour off as much water as I can after maybe 40 seconds then
> finish them with fresh garlic.

The ones we get here are east coast caught off George's Bank. Could be they
just don't get out of the area often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> This is true. I much prefer bay scallops for their flavor and texture,
>> but I imagine I might be able to get a better texture in sea scallops by
>> slighly overcooking.

> Around here I cannot find dry pack bay scallops so I don't even try to do
> anything with the waterlogged tidbits. They may be OK in a soup or
> chowder though. I can get good sea scallops though, but at $12 to $20 a
> pound.. I like them seared in butter and then I make a simple
> butter/orange sauce for them.
>
> The water added sea scallops are cheaper, but you cannot get a sear on
> them and the flavor is not as intense.

After preparing them in the method I described, bacon wrapped, they were way
salty. I didn't add any salt, though the bacon provided that. They did
release a lot of water in cooking. I think the best way to cook these would
be by grilling them so they don't cook in the salt water they release. They
were good, though, and even after wrapping them in bacon last night and
cooking today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote:

> After preparing them in the method I described, bacon wrapped, they were
> way salty. I didn't add any salt, though the bacon provided that. They
> did release a lot of water in cooking. I think the best way to cook these
> would be by grilling them so they don't cook in the salt water they
> release. They were good, though, and even after wrapping them in bacon
> last night and cooking today.

Glad they turned out!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote
> The ones we get here are east coast caught off George's Bank. Could be
> they just don't get out of the area often.

They seem pretty perishable, but so is all seafood. Still, I will look for
them. I might be able to get them online, shipped overnight, if I want to
splurge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ffred" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops
>>

> A small point: do scallops come from anywhere but the sea?

Don't forget potato scallops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> > This is true. I much prefer bay scallops for their flavor and texture,
> > but I imagine I might be able to get a better texture in sea scallops by
> > slighly overcooking.

> Around here I cannot find dry pack bay scallops so I don't even try to do
> anything with the waterlogged tidbits. They may be OK in a soup or chowder
> though. I can get good sea scallops though, but at $12 to $20 a pound.. I
> like them seared in butter and then I make a simple butter/orange sauce for
> them.
>
> The water added sea scallops are cheaper, but you cannot get a sear on them
> and the flavor is not as intense.

Couldn't you try draining them overnight in a strainer?

I gave up on scallops around here a long time ago. I'm sensitive to the
taste of that damned preservative everyone adds to them. It's bitter as
hell and totally covers the sweet taste of the scallop meat.

They were so horrible the last two times I tried them, I took them back
to the store and got my money back because they were inedible. :-(

The last time I got really good scallops were fresh ones in the shell
with the Roe at Central Market in Austin. They were pricey but at least
they tasted like they were supposed to!

I want to try bacon wrapped grilled shrimps one of these days... I have
some lovely shrimp in the freezer right now and I'm thinking I'd
partially cook the bacon, then finish them on that little Japanese
Hibachi I have.

I still want one of those Lodge cast iron Hibachis, but they are so
pricey...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael" > wrote in message
> "ffred" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>> Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops
>>>

>> A small point: do scallops come from anywhere but the sea?

> Don't forget potato scallops.

I hadn't! however, I doubt that any USians (and possibly quite a lot of
UKians) know of them.