Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grilled Sea Scallops wrapped in bacon with mango chutney

Best meal I have had out in a long time. I am going to have to make this at
home, it should certainly be simple enough. With it I had garlic mashed
potatoes and asparagus, both prepared to perfection. The service was also
outstanding, perfectly balanced, efficient, pleasant, warm but not too
familiar. For birthdays, they bring a gold box with two generous, thin dark
chocolate medallions, one plain and one with raspberry. Bonefish Grill, a
chain. We'll definitely go again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

> Best meal I have had out in a long time. I am going to have to make this at
> home,

As soon as I saw the subject I we figured you dind't make it at
home.

> Bonefish Grill, a chain. We'll definitely go again.

My mother wanted to go there last Mother's Day. We'll never go back
there again.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 29, 7:12*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Best meal I have had out in a long time. I am going to have to make this at
> home, it should certainly be simple enough. With it I had garlic mashed
> potatoes and asparagus, both prepared to perfection. The service was also
> outstanding, perfectly balanced, efficient, pleasant, warm but not too
> familiar. For birthdays, they bring a gold box with two generous, thin dark
> chocolate medallions, one plain and one with raspberry. Bonefish Grill, a
> chain. We'll definitely go again.

YUM! They have a decent wine list there too, if memory serves...

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote:
>YUM! They have a decent wine list there too, if memory serves...

They do indeed. The atmosphere is the right balance between casual and fine
dining, too. I was positively impressed, and I really don't enjoy eating out
this much very often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message ...
> Best meal I have had out in a long time. I am going to have to make this at
> home, it should certainly be simple enough. With it I had garlic mashed
> potatoes and asparagus, both prepared to perfection. The service was also
> outstanding, perfectly balanced, efficient, pleasant, warm but not too
> familiar. For birthdays, they bring a gold box with two generous, thin dark
> chocolate medallions, one plain and one with raspberry. Bonefish Grill, a
> chain. We'll definitely go again.

This, from food network is a much better dish. We do this frequently, in fact just this week.

Ed

Prosciutto-wrapped Scallops
a.. 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
b.. 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
c.. 2 tablespoons chopped pitted black olives (about 10 olives)
d.. 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
e.. 12 medium scallops
f.. 1/4 teaspoon salt
g.. 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
h.. 12 slices prosciutto
i.. 2 cups arugula
j.. 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a food processor, add the tomatoes, basil, olives, and olive oil and process until finely chopped.

Season both sides of the scallops with salt and pepper. Rub each scallop with the tomato mixture. Fold each slice of prosciutto in half lengthwise, then wrap each scallop in 1 slice of prosciutto. Place wrapped scallops in a buttered baking dish, seam side down. Bake until scallop is cooked through, about 15 minutes.

In a medium bowl, toss the arugula with the balsamic vinegar. Season the arugula with salt and pepper. Place the arugula on a serving platter or divide among individual dishes. Top with the scallops and serve immediately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 29, 8:47*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> cybercat > wrote:
> > Best meal I have had out in a long time. I am going to have to make this at
> > home,

> As soon as I saw the subject I we figured you dind't make it at
> home.
>
> > Bonefish Grill, a chain. We'll definitely go again.

> My mother wanted to go there last Mother's Day. *We'll never go back
> there again.
>
> -sw

SQ don't forget Mothers Day is the busiest day ever in restaurants, so
neither the food, nor the service may be the best they have to offer.
Try another time and you could see a big difference. I spent a lot of
years waitressing and the kitchens are a zoo on Mothers Day.
Nan in DE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nan" > wrote

> don't forget Mothers Day is the busiest day ever in restaurants, so
>neither the food, nor the service may be the best they have to offer.
>Try another time and you could see a big difference. I spent a lot of
>years waitressing and the kitchens are a zoo on Mothers Day.

True. I spent years in restaurants too, one of the reasons I rarely enjoy a
meal out. We went early Saturday evening. The place had a sprinkling of
people when we arrived and filled up as we enjoyed our meal. By the time we
left it was getting really busy. They have a great bar, easily seen from the
dining room. Fun people watching.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote

>This, from food network is a much better dish. We do this frequently, in
> >fact just this week.

>Prosciutto-wrapped Scallops

I think I would prefer bacon, though we never know until we try, do we?

>1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
>2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
>2 tablespoons chopped pitted black olives (about 10 olives)

?1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
>12 medium scallops
>1/4 teaspoon salt
>1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>12 slices prosciutto
>2 cups arugula
>1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

[...]

One of the things that made the dish I had at Bonefish so good was the
fresh, spicy, sweetness of the mango chutneyin contrast to the bacon. I
don't care for sundried tomatoes, but the rest of this recipe looks okay. To
each his own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:21:16 -0700 (PDT), Nan wrote:

> On Mar 29, 8:47*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> cybercat > wrote:
>>> Best meal I have had out in a long time. I am going to have to make this at
>>> home,

>> As soon as I saw the subject I we figured you dind't make it at
>> home.
>>
>>> Bonefish Grill, a chain. We'll definitely go again.

>> My mother wanted to go there last Mother's Day. *We'll never go back
>> there again.
>>
>> -sw

> SQ don't forget Mothers Day is the busiest day ever in restaurants, so
> neither the food, nor the service may be the best they have to offer.
> Try another time and you could see a big difference. I spent a lot of
> years waitressing and the kitchens are a zoo on Mothers Day.
> Nan in DE

good point. i try to avoid restaurants on such days.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Theron" > wrote
>>
>>This, from food network is a much better dish. We do this frequently, in
>> >fact just this week.

>>Prosciutto-wrapped Scallops

> I think I would prefer bacon, though we never know until we try, do we?
>

>>1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
>>2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
>>2 tablespoons chopped pitted black olives (about 10 olives)

> ?1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
>>12 medium scallops
>>1/4 teaspoon salt
>>1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>>12 slices prosciutto
>>2 cups arugula
>>1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

> [...]
>
> One of the things that made the dish I had at Bonefish so good was the
> fresh, spicy, sweetness of the mango chutneyin contrast to the bacon. I
> don't care for sundried tomatoes, but the rest of this recipe looks okay.
> To each his own.

The primary difference is the substitution of the proscuitto. Proscuitto
doesn't have to be cooked, allowing the scalloped to be gently sautéed to a
warm through and through degree of doneness. As well we think proscuitto has
a more delicate taste, and marries itself to scallops a bit better. As we'd
both agree, I'm sure, these are two different scallop recipes, one not
necessarily better or worse than the other. We may try the bacon. Along that
line, what kind of bacon did you use, "Plain old" or "gourmet"?

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Theron" > wrote
>>>
>>>This, from food network is a much better dish. We do this frequently, in

>>>Prosciutto-wrapped Scallops

>> I think I would prefer bacon, though we never know until we try, do we?
>>

>>>1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
>>>2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
>>>2 tablespoons chopped pitted black olives (about 10 olives)

>> ?1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
>>>12 medium scallops
>>>1/4 teaspoon salt
>>>1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>>>12 slices prosciutto
>>>2 cups arugula
>>>1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

>> [...]
>>
>> One of the things that made the dish I had at Bonefish so good was the
>> fresh, spicy, sweetness of the mango chutneyin contrast to the bacon. I
>> don't care for sundried tomatoes, but the rest of this recipe looks okay.
>> To each his own.
>>

> The primary difference is the substitution of the proscuitto. Proscuitto
> doesn't have to be cooked, allowing the scalloped to be gently sautéed to
> a warm through and through degree of doneness. As well we think proscuitto
> has a more delicate taste, and marries itself to scallops a bit better. As
> we'd both agree, I'm sure, these are two different scallop recipes, one
> not necessarily better or worse than the other. We may try the bacon.
> Along that line, what kind of bacon did you use, "Plain old" or
> "gourmet"?
>
> Ed

Correction: what of bacon are you going to use? I just realized you had this
in a restaurant!

Ed