Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to do with fennel stalks, fronds, and seeds

This one is a real poser. I am having no luck with searches for
recipes, and am about to give up and just make a fennel infusion for
indigestion.

Help me, RFC kenobi, you're my only hope!

;-)
maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> This one is a real poser. I am having no luck with searches for
> recipes, and am about to give up and just make a fennel infusion for
> indigestion.
>
> Help me, RFC kenobi, you're my only hope!
>
> ;-)
> maxine in ri

Dry the seeds and save them for making spaghetti sauce. It makes
the sauce taste as though you have Italian sausage in it even if you don't.

Some Portuguese recipes for the fronds/ferns call for them to be chopped
finely and added to a chicken broth as soup. That always sounded nasty
to me because the flavor of them is so strong. I'm wondering how they
would taste chopped and added to chicken/turkey dressing?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
maxine in ri > wrote:

> This one is a real poser. I am having no luck with searches for
> recipes, and am about to give up and just make a fennel infusion for
> indigestion.
>
> Help me, RFC kenobi, you're my only hope!
>
> ;-)
> maxine in ri

I've frozen fennel fronds and stalks as a stock ingredient, but last
time I did fennel, I was also roasting chicken along with the fennel
bulbs so I draped the stalks and fronds over the top of the chicken as
it roasted. It did add some nice flavor to the birds...

So, it's useful as a herbage topping for meat.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:17:56 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Some Portuguese recipes for the fronds/ferns call for them to be chopped
>finely and added to a chicken broth as soup. That always sounded nasty
>to me because the flavor of them is so strong. I'm wondering how they
>would taste chopped and added to chicken/turkey dressing?

I had chopped fronds on something or other just last week and it was
lovely! Not strong at all, just a gentle hint of fennel.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 20, 10:04*pm, maxine in ri > wrote:
> This one is a real poser. *I am having no luck with searches for
> recipes, and am about to give up and just make a fennel infusion for
> indigestion.

I looked up bouillabaisse, and ran away shrieking. Do _any_ of the
recipes call for less than 4 pounds of fish and seafood??
Om's suggestion for drying and freezing sounds like a plan for making
bouillabaisse for a festival dinner when there are more than just the
two of us to eat it!

Fish is on our menu tonight, so either baking or poaching with the
fennel stalks should make a tasty dinner.

Some of what i dry will work nicely in that rissoto when the weather
turns colder and I'm more into heating the kitchen with long cooking.

Thank you all for your input and advice.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 21, 8:44*am, maxine > wrote:
> On Sep 20, 10:04*pm, maxine in ri > wrote:
>
> > This one is a real poser. *I am having no luck with searches for
> > recipes, and am about to give up and just make a fennel infusion for
> > indigestion.

> I looked up bouillabaisse, and ran away shrieking. *Do _any_ of the
> recipes call for less than 4 pounds of fish and seafood??
> Om's suggestion for drying and freezing sounds like a plan for making
> bouillabaisse for a festival dinner when there are more than just the
> two of us to eat it!
>
> Fish is on our menu tonight, so either baking or poaching with the
> fennel stalks should make a tasty dinner.
>
> Some of what i dry will work nicely in that rissoto when the weather
> turns colder and I'm more into heating the kitchen with long cooking.
>
> Thank you all for your input and advice.
>
> maxine in ri

The Italians on the Iron Range in Northern Minnesota make something
called "Porketta". Big pork roasts have slashes cut into them and are
stuffed with chopped fennel fronds/leaves and garlic slivers. I
forget what else. Anyway this is braised very slowly until it falls
apart. You "Pull" or shred the meat which goes inside the soft middles
of big crusty rolls and is eaten like a sandwich. Nowadays pork is
pretty lean, but fattier pork works better. Loin or tenderloin would
be way too dry. Some health nuts substitute a turkey roast and call
it "Turketta".
Lynn in Fargo
gotta recipe SOMEWHERE or gotta call my friend Carlotta Fachini who
grows (and freezes) her own fennel!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 21, 10:34*pm, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig >
wrote:
> On Sep 21, 8:44*am, maxine > wrote:
>

> > On Sep 20, 10:04*pm, maxine in ri > wrote:

> > > This one is a real poser. *I am having no luck with searches for
> > > recipes, and am about to give up and just make a fennel infusion for
> > > indigestion.

> > I looked up bouillabaisse, and ran away shrieking. *Do _any_ of the
> > recipes call for less than 4 pounds of fish and seafood??
> > Om's suggestion for drying and freezing sounds like a plan for making
> > bouillabaisse for a festival dinner when there are more than just the
> > two of us to eat it!

> > Fish is on our menu tonight, so either baking or poaching with the
> > fennel stalks should make a tasty dinner.

> > Some of what i dry will work nicely in that rissoto when the weather
> > turns colder and I'm more into heating the kitchen with long cooking.

> > Thank you all for your input and advice.

> > maxine in ri

> The Italians on the Iron Range in Northern Minnesota make something
> called "Porketta". *Big pork roasts have slashes cut into them and are
> stuffed with chopped fennel fronds/leaves and garlic slivers. *I
> forget what else. *Anyway this is braised very slowly until it falls
> apart. You "Pull" or shred the meat which goes inside the soft middles
> of big crusty rolls and is eaten like a sandwich. *Nowadays pork is
> pretty lean, but fattier pork works better. Loin or tenderloin would
> be way too dry. *Some health nuts substitute a turkey roast and call
> it "Turketta".
> Lynn *in Fargo
> gotta recipe SOMEWHERE or gotta call my friend Carlotta Fachini who
> grows (and freezes) her own fennel!

Pulled pork is Italian? I didn't know that.

Anyway, the fennel is all gone (unless there's more coming on
Wednesday). I added about half of it to the smallage soup, along with
the potato which the recipe said was optional but it definitely was
_not_ optional. Soup tasted disgustingly salty and bitter until tamed
by the starch. The rest of it I put in a casserole dish, added some
broth, lemon juice (a minor disaster that), pepper and something
else. Laid the arctic char fillet on top of that, covered it, and
nuked it for 3 minutes then let it sit until DH decided to mosey over
to the table. Mananged to not be overcooked, lucky for him.

Lemon disaster: I had an old, green-glass 2-cup measure that was
probably an antique but I used it anyhow. Put the metal lemon reamer
on top and started to ream the lemons. A quarter of the side of the
cup just fell away. Tossed the lemon juice just to be safe,
remembered a jar of lemon juice I had in the fridge from a while ago,
but that had blue mold islands. Found one more lemon hiding in the
back of the fruit drawer. Used half the juice in the poaching liquid,
and the rest in the 10 pounds of apples I reduced to 5 quarts of
applesauce while the potatoes were cooking to add to the celery soup.
The apples were $3.96 on the reduced rack, with very few bruises and
nothing else to dis-recommend them.

It was one of 'those' afternoons....

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> This one is a real poser. I am having no luck with searches for
> recipes, and am about to give up and just make a fennel infusion for
> indigestion.
>
> Help me, RFC kenobi, you're my only hope!
>
> ;-)
> maxine in ri

Slice it all up, saute with garlic in olive oil or butter. Sprinkle a
few seeds in and serve over pasta.

Use the rest of the seeds for a cough-easing tea