Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fennel stalks

Hi there,
I've been using more fresh fennel lately and was wondering if there was
anything useful to do with the stalks. Most recipes I've seen, even soups,
use the bulb and fronds and say to discard the stalks.

Has anyone found good (food related) use for the stalks.

TIA,
Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zeppo" > wrote:

> Hi there,
> I've been using more fresh fennel lately and was wondering if there was
> anything useful to do with the stalks. Most recipes I've seen, even soups,
> use the bulb and fronds and say to discard the stalks.
>
> Has anyone found good (food related) use for the stalks.
>
> TIA,
> Jon

I just use them for flavoring and discard them. Last time I did a pork
roast, I put the stalks on top of it along with the other herbs. They
are also good for stock.

You still don't actually eat them, but you get some flavor extraction
out of them.
--
Peace! Om

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of societies understanding."

-- From "Batman Begins"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zeppo" > wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I've been using more fresh fennel lately and was wondering if there was
> anything useful to do with the stalks. Most recipes I've seen, even soups,
> use the bulb and fronds and say to discard the stalks.
>
> Has anyone found good (food related) use for the stalks.
>
> TIA,
> Jon

This won't help, but it is a good, easy recipe.

Linguine with Fennel and Tuna: Quarter, core, and thinly slice fennel bulb
crosswise; cook in 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium high
heat until golden, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Meanwhile cook 1/2
pound linguine. Drain and return to pot; reserve 1/4 cup pasta water. Add
fennel to pasta along with 1/8 c.fronds, 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon
juice, 1 tablespoon each capers and olive oil, and reserved pasta water.
Season w/ salt/pepper. Flake in one can solid light tuna. Toss/serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jon wrote:

> I've been using more fresh fennel lately and was wondering if there was
> anything useful to do with the stalks. Most recipes I've seen, even soups,
> use the bulb and fronds and say to discard the stalks.
>
> Has anyone found good (food related) use for the stalks.

Yes, you can slice them thinly and eat them raw. One example of such is at
www.chow.com/stories/10438

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BD" > wrote in message

> "Zeppo" > wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>> I've been using more fresh fennel lately and was wondering if there was
>> anything useful to do with the stalks. Most recipes I've seen, even
>> soups, use the bulb and fronds and say to discard the stalks.
>>
>> Has anyone found good (food related) use for the stalks.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Jon

> This won't help, but it is a good, easy recipe.
>
> Linguine with Fennel and Tuna: Quarter, core, and thinly slice fennel bulb
> crosswise; cook in 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium high
> heat until golden, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Meanwhile cook 1/2
> pound linguine. Drain and return to pot; reserve 1/4 cup pasta water. Add
> fennel to pasta along with 1/8 c.fronds, 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon
> juice, 1 tablespoon each capers and olive oil, and reserved pasta water.
> Season w/ salt/pepper. Flake in one can solid light tuna. Toss/serve.

Thanks BD. I'll try this.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Zeppo" > wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>> I've been using more fresh fennel lately and was wondering if there was
>> anything useful to do with the stalks. Most recipes I've seen, even
>> soups,
>> use the bulb and fronds and say to discard the stalks.
>>
>> Has anyone found good (food related) use for the stalks.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Jon

> I just use them for flavoring and discard them. Last time I did a pork
> roast, I put the stalks on top of it along with the other herbs. They
> are also good for stock.
>
> You still don't actually eat them, but you get some flavor extraction
> out of them.
> --
> Peace! Om

Thanks, Om. That's what I figured but I just wanted to be sure there wasn't
some reason to not use the.

I'm gong to make fennel-carrot soup this weekend, so I'll toss in the stalks
to intensify the fennel flavor and then just discard 'em.
Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Jon wrote:
>
>> I've been using more fresh fennel lately and was wondering if there was
>> anything useful to do with the stalks. Most recipes I've seen, even
>> soups,
>> use the bulb and fronds and say to discard the stalks.
>>
>> Has anyone found good (food related) use for the stalks.

> Yes, you can slice them thinly and eat them raw. One example of such is at
> www.chow.com/stories/10438

That's interesting. I'll give that a try tonight. I have a bag-o-stalks in
the veggie crisper I can practice my knife skills on.

Regards,
Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zeppo" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Zeppo" > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >> I've been using more fresh fennel lately and was wondering if there was
> >> anything useful to do with the stalks. Most recipes I've seen, even
> >> soups,
> >> use the bulb and fronds and say to discard the stalks.
> >>
> >> Has anyone found good (food related) use for the stalks.
> >>
> >> TIA,
> >> Jon

> > I just use them for flavoring and discard them. Last time I did a pork
> > roast, I put the stalks on top of it along with the other herbs. They
> > are also good for stock.
> >
> > You still don't actually eat them, but you get some flavor extraction
> > out of them.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Thanks, Om. That's what I figured but I just wanted to be sure there wasn't
> some reason to not use the.
>
> I'm gong to make fennel-carrot soup this weekend, so I'll toss in the stalks
> to intensify the fennel flavor and then just discard 'em.
> Jon

That's just the way _I_ use them. :-) Others might have other ideas
that I don't know about, but you are welcome.
--
Peace! Om

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of societies understanding."

-- From "Batman Begins"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo wrote:

> Hi there,
> I've been using more fresh fennel lately and was wondering if there was
> anything useful to do with the stalks. Most recipes I've seen, even soups,
> use the bulb and fronds and say to discard the stalks.
>
> Has anyone found good (food related) use for the stalks.
>
> TIA,
> Jon

If they aren't too tough, cut them in thin slices and put them in
salads. Grind them up and put them in sausage. Slice and use in soups.
Stir-fry with garlic and onion and put into tomato-based pasta sauces.