Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default nutrition in cabbage stalks

As children we used to get the the *raw* white cabbage stalks to eat.

Our parents believe that the stalks contained a lot of the 'useful
nutrition' in the cabbage. Is there any truth in this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cabbages in general are good for Vitamin C, about 18 mg per 1/2 cup.
This amount daily seems to be OK for human nutritional needs; you
don't hear much about scurvy in sauerkraut/cabbage eating countries.
Goes for kale, B.sprouts, cauliflower, brocolli, etc. also.

Oranges, in comparison, provide about 55 mg of Vit. C per 100/g. The
real powerhouse tho seems to be peppers (Capsicum) SzentGyorgy's work
in the field won him a Nobel prize, if I recall. Paprika, sweet bell
peppers, hot peppers all seem to be loaded with the stuff.

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:20:59 -0000, "john zeiss"
> wrote:

>As children we used to get the the *raw* white cabbage stalks to eat.
>
>Our parents believe that the stalks contained a lot of the 'useful
>nutrition' in the cabbage. Is there any truth in this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker > wrote:
> "john zeiss" wrote:
> >
> >As children we used to get the the *raw* white cabbage stalks to eat.

> >Our parents believe that the stalks contained a lot of the 'useful
> >nutrition' in the cabbage. Is there any truth in this?

> Cabbages in general are good for Vitamin C, about 18 mg per 1/2 cup.
> This amount daily seems to be OK for human nutritional needs; you
> don't hear much about scurvy in sauerkraut/cabbage eating countries.
> Goes for kale, B.sprouts, cauliflower, brocolli, etc. also.
>
> Oranges, in comparison, �provide about 55 mg of Vit. C per 100/g. The
> real powerhouse tho seems to be peppers (Capsicum) SzentGyorgy's work
> in the field won him a Nobel prize, if I recall. Paprika, sweet bell
> peppers, hot peppers all seem to be loaded with the stuff.

The king of Vitamin C is parsley.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote on Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:59:37 -0600:

> Oranges, in comparison, provide about 55 mg of Vit. C per
> 100/g. The real powerhouse tho seems to be peppers (Capsicum)
> SzentGyorgy's work in the field won him a Nobel prize, if I
> recall. Paprika, sweet bell peppers, hot peppers all seem to
> be loaded with the stuff.

> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:20:59 -0000, "john zeiss"
> > wrote:

>> As children we used to get the the *raw* white cabbage stalks
>> to eat.
>>
>> Our parents believe that the stalks contained a lot of the
>> 'useful nutrition' in the cabbage. Is there any truth in
>> this?

I quite like raw or lightly cooked cabbage stalks. Since cabbage leaves
should not be cooked for more 5 minutes, it is best to slice the stalks
if cooking the whole thing. IMHO, of course!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chemiker > wrote:

> Cabbages in general are good for Vitamin C, about 18 mg per 1/2 cup.
> This amount daily seems to be OK for human nutritional needs; you
> don't hear much about scurvy in sauerkraut/cabbage eating countries.
> Goes for kale, B.sprouts, cauliflower, brocolli, etc. also.
>
> Oranges, in comparison, provide about 55 mg of Vit. C per 100/g. The
> real powerhouse tho seems to be peppers (Capsicum) SzentGyorgy's work
> in the field won him a Nobel prize, if I recall. Paprika, sweet bell
> peppers, hot peppers all seem to be loaded with the stuff.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

The RDA in the US is 60mg. When you think about it, 100g (1/4 pound) is
a pretty reasonable serving for oranges, and gives you your RDA. 100g
of green bell pepper is 80mg of vitamin C, but is it really a reasonable
serving for most people? Parsley is even better. If there is a sprig
of parsley on my plate in a restaurant, I don't care if it is just a
garnish, I eat it. I feel very virtuous. Still, even though 100g of
parsley is 133mg of vitamin C, it just isn't a reasonable serving at
all. That's almost two cups!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA